Can Blair be toppled?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:08:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Can Blair be toppled?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can Blair be toppled?  (Read 971 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2005, 12:27:00 PM »

For a leadership election to be forced, 20% of the PLP (71 M.P's) have to support a leadership election.

Are there 71 M.P's that might do so? I have in front of me an alphabetical list of Labour M.P's. A quick scan of the list shows that there are easily over 71 M.P's who might do it.

I suspect that if Blair tries to stay in power for too long, a stalking horse bid is likely (a name often mentioned is Alan Simpson), although I tend to think he'll resign before that happens.

Either way, the first meeting of the new PLP is crucial.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 04:52:50 PM »

The 2007-2008  timeframe is likely to be when the changeover from Blair to Brown would occur.  Are there any predictable political events then that would suggest a good time for Blair to step down, and be likely to cause grumblings if he doesn'?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 05:19:03 PM »

Referendum on the E.U Constitution
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 05:20:22 PM »

Damn, I support the EU Constitution being passed, and I want to see Blair go. Oh, well, having the Constitution passed will be better in the long run, even though it'll help Blair.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 06:03:08 PM »

So you think that a revised constitution will be up for a vote in 2007-2008?  Between those who want a stronger and those who want a weaker constitution, I'm very leary of a new EU constitution being adopted any time soon.  I think it would take something dramatic, such as the collapse of the Euro, for a new EU constitution of any variety to be passed before 2010 under the current conditions.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 06:19:26 PM »

So you think that a revised constitution will be up for a vote in 2007-2008?  Between those who want a stronger and those who want a weaker constitution, I'm very leary of a new EU constitution being adopted any time soon.
If a nation like France is having difficulty approving it, then the treaty's prospects are very bleak indeed.
Banana Republic
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 06:43:54 PM »

I agree the EU constitution is the probably what can do it.

The more countries that don't ratify it, the less of an impact it will have on the Labour government. If the U.K. is the only country not to ratify it then I seriously doubt we'll stay the union.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 12:24:13 AM »

Yes Blair will obviously have to step down before he completes his term but I disagree with the Labour MPs who are calling for his head right now, just days after the election. The party did poorly but they still did win with a sizeable majority and Blair should stay on a while longer. My problem is that just because Howard resigned right away doesn't mean the PM should.

Gordon Brown doesn't seem to have much charisma. Yet the Brits seem to like him a lot so hopefully he can have the career that charisma-less Al Gore was denied in this country. Its good to see a politician succeed (so far) on their ideology and not whether "you could have a drink with him" which is how I remember people describing Bush in 2000.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 04:49:24 AM »

So you think that a revised constitution will be up for a vote in 2007-2008?  Between those who want a stronger and those who want a weaker constitution, I'm very leary of a new EU constitution being adopted any time soon.  I think it would take something dramatic, such as the collapse of the Euro
Where do you people get that notion from. Not. Gonna. Happen.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 04:50:18 AM »

So you think that a revised constitution will be up for a vote in 2007-2008?  Between those who want a stronger and those who want a weaker constitution, I'm very leary of a new EU constitution being adopted any time soon.
If a nation like France is having difficulty approving it, then the treaty's prospects are very bleak indeed.
Didn't hurt the Maastricht treaty...
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 09:15:35 AM »

So you think that a revised constitution will be up for a vote in 2007-2008?  Between those who want a stronger and those who want a weaker constitution, I'm very leary of a new EU constitution being adopted any time soon.  I think it would take something dramatic, such as the collapse of the Euro
Where do you people get that notion from. Not. Gonna. Happen.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I wasn’t trying to imply that I saw a Euro collapse as being even remotely likely in the next five years, merely that it would take an impetus of that magnitude to get all 25 EU countries to agree on a new constitution within those same five years.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies