Europe-Middle East-Africa Refugee Crisis General Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:47:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Europe-Middle East-Africa Refugee Crisis General Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Europe-Middle East-Africa Refugee Crisis General Thread  (Read 127266 times)
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« on: November 07, 2015, 06:10:03 AM »

But Sweden, what about your duty to help all the people in the world? I think you simply have to place those refugees in private homes. Anyone that has more than 50 square meters to themselves can surely house a couple of migrants.

That was actually a recent proposal from the Greens here...
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 06:10:58 AM »

But Sweden, what about your duty to help all the people in the world? I think you simply have to place those refugees in private homes. Anyone that has more than 50 square meters to themselves can surely house a couple of migrants.

That was actually a recent proposal from the Greens here...

Source?

Of course!(In Swedish I'm afraid)
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 06:44:51 AM »

I'm sorry to tell you this, the Swedish government may not mean to sound like they're begging, but they do, in a real pathetic way

To me it sounds more like whining, than begging, but I would agree with the fact that it does seem rather pathetic.

To answer your original question, as to why the Swedish government is asking for something they will never get; my analysis is that it's a desperate attempt to get themselves out of a tricky situation of painting themselves into a corner on the immigration issue. On the one hand the government has committed itself to helping all asylum seekers and is thus not willing to adopt more strict limitations than those they agreed to recently with the opposition (bar the Left and Sweden Democrats) but on the other hand they're also out of money to pay for more immigration and are not willing to make any substantial cuts to other areas to finance the increased costs. The idea that they can appeal (or shame) other EU countries into doing more is their last hope of get out of that predicament.

It's pretty futile, but they have to signal the Swedish people that they are doing something at least.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies