Europe-Middle East-Africa Refugee Crisis General Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:56:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Europe-Middle East-Africa Refugee Crisis General Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Europe-Middle East-Africa Refugee Crisis General Thread  (Read 127181 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« on: August 25, 2015, 02:49:02 PM »

Err, David ag has always said he's Jewish. I see no reason to doubt that.

Also holy smokes this thread is ...
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 08:10:57 AM »

Don't the Finns Party have more a dislike of Swedes than anything else?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 04:07:49 PM »

Yeah, there's a reason referenda typically have to be a little less load than that lmao.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 07:03:54 PM »

This vote confirms my belief that Slovakia won't accept to be the backdoor to EU after Hungary and Croatia close their borders (assuming a HDZ win in Croatia). Fico remains a hardliner on this issue despite not being on the right wing (Zeman too for that matter).

It is a very Fico thing to do though - he knows how to play the left-wing nationalist card, and sometimes gets ahead of himself and says stuff like "Slovakia was Not established for the minorities!" (I honestly get a Trump vibe from him)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 03:25:11 PM »

Cyrprus and Malta not taking any, I see.

I don't see why you're surprised with NEOS, considering their electorate.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 11:15:09 AM »

Tbf, 1 million euros for "hundreds of asylum seekers" (houses which surely can be reappropriated after the crisis) seems like quite a good deal. And it's not like it's coming out of the public purse if the Red Cross are paying for it so...
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 12:14:59 PM »

Through Ukraine? Would that really be a feasible approach?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 11:22:06 PM »

Do you think we should have two threads, one for news on the crisis and the other to bicker about economic migration?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 08:11:28 AM »

I'm sceptical of the idea that a large migration would undermine the welfare state. The welfare states of Europe subsidise the elderly, for the most part, not the sort of twenty-somethings that apparat to make up the bulk of this wave.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 11:44:41 AM »

Does the term "western immigrant" cover the newer members of the EU?

Also does it take into account their children? Both in terms of the fiscal losses (child tax credits and benefits & public education) and the fiscal gains (entry into the job market)?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 03:29:57 AM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-migrant-boy-berlin-20153010-story.html

Wtf
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 09:15:25 AM »

Merkel warns that the refugee crisis could inflame the Western Balkans and fan conflict in that region, especially if refugees become mired in these regions.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 02:50:23 PM »

Have they been surveyed on their skills? I assumed it was mainly the relatively wealthy ones who could afford to pay smugglers...
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 03:15:58 PM »

Breaking: can you see that subtle shout-out to an atlas user in this picture of a Syrian refugee making food for the homeless?

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 11:12:09 AM »

Have they been given basement building lessons, yet?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 11:37:12 AM »

Has anyone posted the stories about ing spivs in Turkey making a killing selling fake lifejackets? Honestly, I don't know  how anyone can look at themselves in the mirror after padding a child-sized lifejacket with sponge, but apparently it's the thing to do nowadays.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 04:57:54 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2016, 04:59:29 PM by CrabCake the Liberal Magician »

AfD leader muses about shooting migrants crossing the border.

Dutch Labour leader Samsom wants to send all refugees who arrive in Europe by boat back to Turkey, and in exchange the EU will take 150000-250000 refugees a year from Turkey. Sounds like a pretty good plan to me, atleast a lot better than the current situation.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35426927

Yeah, I think that is a good aim, especially if it ends the shoddy boat crossings. ALthough they should hold off on moving families back for a while.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 06:08:22 PM »

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/30/masked-men-stockholm-threaten-punishment-refugee-children

People have weird hobbies
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 06:09:10 PM »

Also shows how the Kremlin propaganda machine is actively poisoning the political climate in Germany, trying to instrumentalize ex-Soviet Germans and promoting far-right politicians all over Europe.
(The Kremlin's best propaganda tools [unwittingly] of course remain some of the pro-Maidan center-left foreign policy journalists on ARD, ZDF and some of the leading newspapers.)

Isn't Schroeder a massive shill as well?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 07:32:36 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-35462698

Jordan is starting to crack (or if you're cynical, Abdullah knows that the Kingdom can get money from the desperate West if he promises to stop migrants leaving)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 09:27:38 AM »

The problem is the major victims of sexual assault are refugee women themselves, and I fail to see how that can be stopped by closing borders to protect the nation-state safe space.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2016, 10:00:34 AM »

I can do that for you. No problem.

<snip>
Indeed, if you're attacking random Muslims you are a bigot/racist/whatever, I don't think anybody has argued that.  What was happening earlier in the thread was anybody that was against mass migration to Europe was labeled a racist.  Something that obviously isn't true, and worse than just being a lie (to be fair, they probably actually believe it, so I guess it's just ignorance), it brings any potential conversation between the two sides to a halt.

is this a joke?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2016, 10:29:42 AM »

I understand that. I have for a while disagreed with the current practice of forcing refugees to play a demented game of frogger from camps through the Sea, the Balkans, and to Germany. It was an unwise idea for Germany to make that the goal rather than focusing on processing and resettling refugees quickly directly from the camps. I also think it was absurdly naive to expect that people from these very patriarchal cultures would understand straight off the boat the customs of their new location. On the other, I have always thought that it is ... bad taste for the richest countries in the world to sit around and gawp while middle income and poor countries are crippled and humans are left to waste away in camps.

But I cannot understand dead0man's confusion about why people were decrying racism in this thread. Yes, I know being called racist is very distressing and, err, triggering; but I fail how you can read rhetoric like "uneducated hordes flooding the borders" etc. apparently backed up by a shadowy Frankfurt Schoolian "elite" and not think the motive is racism. I mean it's funny because people in this continent act so ing smarmy about Trump being some proof of America's backwardness as a nation, and at the same time implicitly endorse his own rhetoric. I'm honestly waiting for Salvini or someone to propose a wall across the Med.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2016, 08:47:21 AM »

H.C. Strache (FPÖ) visited Frauke Petry (AfD) yesterday and they called for a "repatriation culture" instead of Merkel/Faymann's "welcome culture".

http://kurier.at/politik/inland/strache-auf-afd-exkursion-wir-beschnuppern-uns/180.855.051

Anschluss?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2016, 02:00:13 PM »

Anyone sensing the slightest bit of Schadenfreude amongst the Macedonians in regards to the Greeks? (I mean, if I was Macedonian I'd feel nothing but contempt for the Greeks, so I understand why).
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies