Europe-Middle East-Africa Refugee Crisis General Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:21:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Europe-Middle East-Africa Refugee Crisis General Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Europe-Middle East-Africa Refugee Crisis General Thread  (Read 126453 times)
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« on: August 20, 2015, 02:58:24 AM »

Because most EU members want to have nothing to do with Muslim/African migrants.
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 05:10:17 AM »

Riots in a refugee camp in Germany cause someone did something to a Quran: http://www.dw.com/en/germany-refugee-riot-injures-15-after-koran-defaced/a-18659573

In other news: refugee/migrant related expenses set to come in at 10bn euros in Germany this year. http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/wirtschaftspolitik/asylbewerber-kosten-bis-zu-10-milliarden-euro-13758770.html
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 03:42:37 AM »
« Edited: August 23, 2015, 03:46:21 AM by Beezer »

Despite all the negative news about the asylum crisis here (80.000 people coming in) and the massive incompetence/neglect of the SPÖVP government, I should also point out that there have been no serious violent acts so far in the country against asylum seeker or their centers/homes.

In other countries, like Germany etc., asylum centers and homes are already burning down to the ground ...

I guess the FPÖ really does serve as a valve to relieve nationalist/xenophobic pressure. I suppose German mainstream parties only have to blame themselves for vilifying right-wing populists who might have otherwise acted as a force for de-radicalizing xenophobic anger and channeling it into more legitimate avenues.
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 07:30:22 AM »

Angela Merkel Booed By Anti-Immigration Protesters During Refugee Visit

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has been booed during a visit to a shelter for asylum seekers which was the focus of clashes at the weekend.

Far-right protesters shouted "traitor" as she arrived at the newly-opened centre in Heidenau.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34061532#?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 02:17:08 PM »

Yeah, that's going to work wonders for European solidarity. Moreover, I don't see why Poland or Portugal should be forced to share a burden that is to a certain extent caused by the open door policy of German and Swedish politicians. If these people see refugees as an "opportunity" they should be more than happy about keeping all of them in the country.
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 06:44:03 AM »

Xenophobia isn't inherent to "human nature", as Politicus disturbingly seems to believe. Societies can be educated to accept, and even actively promote, multiculturalism, if thier political and cultural leaders make the effort to endorse it, instead of pandering to irrational fears.

They should first explain what multiculturalism is though. Different cultures living side by side or the incorporation of non-native cultures into the dominant one? I.e. forcing people from different cultural backgrounds to accep the basic tenets of our western culture: freedom of speech and religion, gender equality... If it's the latter, I can most certainly sign up to that. The former - not exactly.

I think it's also perfectly acceptable for Danes to feel that their homeland should be the "Land of Danes" rather than the "Land of people who happen to live in Denmark." We tend to bemoan the disappearance of cultures and languages but when it comes to European cultures, efforts to preserve it are somehow frowned upon. Go figure.
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 02:39:05 AM »

That Ukrainian # looks rather low. Isn't it closer to a million?
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 03:36:33 AM »
« Edited: August 31, 2015, 03:53:20 AM by Beezer »

How is this any different than saying "Europe for the Europeans" or "Diversity = White Genocide"?

Well, if you move beyond the incendiary rhetoric, you will see that it's perfectly acceptable to make the case that Europe has every right to protect its culture, just as any other country/region does. This can be achieved by either limiting immigration from certain parts of the globe whose inhabitants have proven to be difficult to integrate or essentially forcing all migrants to accept some basic cultural tenets. So for me it's not about keeping "Europe for Europeans" but rather protecting basic civil liberties such as freedom of speech, gender equality or rights for sexual minorities against a tide of cultural conservatism. David B. illustrated quite well that many Americans don't really seem to understand what kind of transformation Europe has undergone over the past few decades with one dominant non-western immigrant group entering the continent. Let's just remember that Mexicans aren't threatening to kill folks like Rush Limbaugh for anti-Hispanic remarks.
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 04:41:52 AM »

30km traffic jam between Hungary and Austria as latter checks cars and trucks for refugees: http://bbj.hu/politics/report-road-controls-in-austria-cause-traffic-jam-in-hungary_103226.

In other news:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 02:40:46 PM »

Having arrrived in Munich...did the women travel separately?

Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 04:40:51 AM »

Refugees in front of the station: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYjekatSiwU&feature=youtu.be
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 12:16:00 PM »

I don't know what the German government has been telling Syrians but jeez, why the hell does no one apply for asylum in Austria anymore? These people are really in for a rude awakening when they arrive in some decrepit former DIY-store somewhere in the middle of nowhere (aka east Germany).
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 05:39:10 AM »

Indeed. Some folks here think that the issue is a simple and straightforward "do you have a heart or not" matter. Considering that this wave of refugees will add hundreds of thousands of people (if not even more) from a cultural background that has had a pretty poor track record of integrating into European society to the continent's population, it's quite obvious that there is more to the story.
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 08:21:39 AM »
« Edited: September 03, 2015, 08:23:38 AM by Beezer »

Said letter is in the hands of the police now, but the point being is: There are so many "indigenous" people here who can only be described as human garbage who shouldn't live here let alone be citizens, what does it matter to let hundreds of thousands of Muslims in? They can only raise the quality of our culture, not lower it.

Ridiculous argument. So just because every European country has some far right a-holes in it, let's bring in boatloads of people whose values are completely alien to our liberal ones and more or less in line with the prevailing cultural sentiments of the far right (stone the gays, keep women at home)? I will never for the life of me understand why the German Greens have such a hard on for immigration from the Muslim world. You pretty much couldn't find a group of people whose views differ more substantially from those on the libertarian left.

Anyway, some pics from Hungary:

Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 05:00:23 AM »

And Budapest train station is full again...won't be long before the next march gets underway.
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 08:15:36 AM »

Let's mention some facts here. Refugees have no inherent right to pick and choose the place they want to flee to. It's all about safety. The moment they say "safe country A isn't good enough, I want to move to safe country B", they turn into economic migrants. By the time Syrians have reached Germany, they've crossed six rather safe countries, a few of them with arguably better job prospects than what they will encounter in Germany. So while I feel bad for Syrians having to flee their homeland, I do think Syrians throwing bottled water onto the tracks in Hungary can be referred to as spoiled, seeing as many people would give a lot to live in an advanced economy like Hungary.
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 01:59:54 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2015, 02:01:39 PM by Beezer »

Except that the Hungarian government has made it pretty clear that refugees are not welcome. And while its true that a refugee does not have an inherent right to pick where they end up, its entirely understandable that there's an overwhelming towards trying to get to somewhere where they assume they will be safest/most welcome/etc.

See story below...refugees have refused to get off a train in Lübeck to apply for asylum in Germany, instead demanding to be allowed to travel on to Denmark. Police eventually allowed them to continue on their way. I suppose Germany isn't good enough either now. Sad

http://www.shz.de/schleswig-holstein/panorama/nach-protesten-fluechtlinge-duerfen-von-luebeck-nach-daenemark-weiterreisen-id10658176.html
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 02:22:23 PM »

We've tried so hard to make them love us. Why won't they love us?!
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 02:23:27 PM »

They are aiming for Sweden. There are so many Syrians in Sweden by now, that many have relatives there they want to join.

Which once again also illustrates what a waste of time and effort any EU quotas will be.
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 12:56:34 PM »

500,000 a year. A city the size of Stuttgart. Every year. This is genuinely crazy.

Refugees trying to escape the war torn country of Denmark, hoping to make their way to Sweden:

Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2015, 09:44:51 AM »

Bavarian state premier Horst Seehofer will invite Viktor Orban to the next conference meeting of his party's state parliamentary group. This is quite a big move considering that the German media and political class have painted Orban as an autocrat who's one step away from erecting concentration camps for refugees. Seehofer has also gone out of his way to criticize Merkel, calling her decision to accept refugees from Hungary a mistake.

(In German) http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/horst-seehofer-wettert-gegen-angela-merkel-in-fluechtlingspolitik-a-1052455.html
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2015, 08:15:43 AM »

Deutsche Bahn is now using ICE high speed trains to move refugees across the country. People with regular tickets will have to find other trains. I feel things are really spiraling out of control now with tens of thousands of people entering Germany on a single weekend. The German government has no plan whatsoever beyond finding basic accommodations. What are we going to do with millions (!) of people with very little qualifications who have come to the country expecting to find the land of milk and honey? What about (genuine and warranted) security concerns? ISIS will use this opportunity to send fighters to Europe. I don't think we've had a momentous month or so in Europe since the fall of the Iron Curtain.
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2015, 09:04:14 AM »

OK, this is gonna be entertaining. Merkel once again does a 180, plans to re-introduce border checks and deport anyone entering Germany from a safe third country (i.e. Austria). Godspeed, Tender...your country has just been merkeled.

http://kurier.at/politik/ausland/fluechtlinge-deutschland-plant-grenzkontrollen/152.464.595
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2015, 10:00:28 AM »

That's absurd. Germany was the first country to let go of the Dublin criteria. Then Merkel invited all people outside Europe over to Germany. She cannot do a 180 and send all these people, whom she basically invited herself, to other countries.

Well, Austria is not the first country to get merkeled. Whatever she says has a half-life of around 2 days. Then she may just forget about it entirely and do something else (see her energy policies or position during the eurozone crisis).
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2015, 10:01:46 AM »

An Arab translator at Vienna train station recently estimated that 25-50% of the migrants arriving there "have no Syrian Arab dialect". He also spoke about a guy from Egypt who said that "now is the chance of his lifetime to sneak into Europe, using fake Syrian passports."

Oh man, try to defend that you naive leftists ...
Wouldn't they be found eventually and deported? I see no reason people from Egypt\Pakistan\any country not in war should be regarded as refugees

Well, you can always claim your lost your documents and just concoct a story about your background. Who's gonna disprove you? A German asylum worker with no understanding of the Arab language?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies