Europe-Middle East-Africa Refugee Crisis General Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:11:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Europe-Middle East-Africa Refugee Crisis General Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 47
Author Topic: Europe-Middle East-Africa Refugee Crisis General Thread  (Read 126421 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: November 11, 2015, 03:24:04 PM »

Austria has ordered heated tents for 20.000 additional migrants/asylum seekers @ the UN today for the coming winter (which can be pretty cold here in the Alps) :

http://derstandard.at/2000025479251/Oesterreich-bestellt-Fluechtlingszelte-bei-der-Uno

Actually, the government wanted to get rid of tents, because ... well ... the bad images. But since there simply is no more public space available in Austria's towns, the government is not getting rid of the ghosts they summoned before. Also, the tents can be forced on any small Austrian town, no matter if the mayor or the population wants them there or not ...

Today, the government updated the number of asylum applications expected this year to 95.000 (up from 80-85.000 so far). Currently, about 500-600 people apply for asylum here every day.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #826 on: November 11, 2015, 03:26:31 PM »

OH NO! NOT AGAIN!!

Usseless to say that this cute blondie nammed Marine Le Pen obviously did the comparison by using the term universally used in France, 'invasions barbares', to refer to that migrant crisis.

The rather amusing thing is that it's definitely a pejorative term, big bad eating babies guys, while it refers to those who have in part been the 'founders' of our modern European countries, where it becomes totally ironical it's that Marine Le Pen is the one whom loves pulling out those good old identites...

To be frank, doesn't she definitely look like how you could imagine a good old blunt and rough Frank queen?

...I have an harder and harder time to bear the vision of that flag...

The use of the word 'barbares' used by Romans to refer to te 'uncivilized ones' would show the different tensions that have built the French society, a strongly enough Latin society due to its invasion by the Roman Empire, but of which modern country has been refounded by those who turned the Roman Empire down, and which anyhow sees itself as coming straight from Gaulois, which are obviously some ever fancy guys resisting to all imperialisms.

All of this happens with such a perfect timing in a country in which the mainly raising paper (official stats about that have recently been published, all the classical papers fall or stagnates), and which has such a relevant name, and of which the guys are more and more showing their faces on TV, had covers like those during last year or so...

...here the irony doesn't fear to show again...

...Le Débarquement is the tag word to refer to US arrival on Normandie's coast...

I don't think I really need to translate each title, do I?

In a country in which the over trendy book right before the very days of Charlie Hebdo murder have been a fiction about the fact that France would be ruled by Islamic law in a coming future, Soumission by Houellebecq. That cover that was published on the very day of the drama was so f**king ironical:

To which you can add all the so f**king glorious comments from supposed classical mainstream politicians.

And I don't even speak about all the nasty, hateful, disgusting tweets I could have read on some i-télé, a very neutral mainstream news TV, news tweets about migrants.

I've never been naive about the historical underlying racism of French society, about it's fast speed openly growing tendancies amongst all parts of the French society, but, all of this actually is an actual pain for eyes and stomach.

Where the irony goes far enough though, it's that, in Germany, I don't remember the term to refer to it, but I remember that, from a rather understandable point of view, it's not at all a pejorative term to refer to 'invasion barbares', dunno how you say in English.

And well, it's not as simple as that but, still...

Gosh, History can sometimes give the impress to be, especially in the Roman Empire/'American Empire' parallel, such a f**king repetition...

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #827 on: November 11, 2015, 03:32:27 PM »

Yeah, not all people like mass peoples movements and you don't need to be a far-right winger for that.

Deal with it, (French) hippies (Benwah, Antonio, etc.) ... Wink
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #828 on: November 11, 2015, 03:38:35 PM »

Well, nowadays, in my pitiful country at least, I have an harder and harder time to make a difference...
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #829 on: November 11, 2015, 04:33:33 PM »

Funny. This same afternoon I already figured that it wouldn't be long until the next left-leftist would make an angry post here, and wondered who it would be Smiley
palandio

« Reply #830 on: November 11, 2015, 06:05:54 PM »

Where the irony goes far enough though, it's that, in Germany, I don't remember the term to refer to it, but I remember that, from a rather understandable point of view, it's not at all a pejorative term to refer to 'invasion barbares', dunno how you say in English.
The most common word is Völkerwanderung.
Völker- of course means "of peoples".
Wanderung can mean hike, walking-tour, peregrination and also migration.
So intead of barbarian invasions for us it was just a harmless hiking tour like the ones many of us are doing on a regular basis in the Alps or other mountains. But of course with many, many participants, entire peoples you might say...
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #831 on: November 12, 2015, 10:10:36 AM »
« Edited: November 12, 2015, 10:22:57 AM by DavidB. »

Meanwhile, migrants in The Hague are fed up with the situation. A group of migrants has decided to sleep on the streets, as a protest. The video with the complaints (in English; video itself is in Dutch but the migrants speak English) speaks for itself: "This is not a life, when you get inside a room without a tv. Maybe we should go back to our country and die there." Also lmao @ the guy who complains about "only" getting 12 euros a week while lighting a cigarette.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #832 on: November 12, 2015, 02:54:07 PM »

A 17-year old Afghan asylum seeker was sentenced to 12 years in an (Austrian) prison today for stabbing to death another Afghan asylum seeker in front of a Vienna labour market agency.

The guy stabbed the other guy to death because the other guy was a big fan of music. When the 17-year old learned about that, he simply killed him because "the Koran bans music".

In another case, an Afghan asylum seeker in Styria beat down his wife, who suffered life-threatening injuries. When asked by the police why he did it, he replied that he didn't knew that you cannot beat up your wife badly in Austria ...

These guys should not serve prison time in Austria (paid by our money), but rather be put into the next plane home.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #833 on: November 14, 2015, 08:27:33 AM »

Thank Mama Merkel for bringing in these fine upstanding citizens.

tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #834 on: November 14, 2015, 09:17:06 AM »

Waaah, didn't know that on this forum I would find barely better comments than some tweets I can see on news tweet accounts...

These guys should not serve prison time in Austria (paid by our money), but rather be put into the next plane home.

Lol, plane paid by...your...money too.

It's 'amusing' that all the egoistic proposed solutions (plane, short term hostelery, and lol, even prison), are also those that cost the most money to the 'welcoming' society...isn't that really amusing?

Happens in France, they use jets to take some migrants from Calais to other French immigration centers. And what do migrants do?

They don't f**king care to land in that so fancy beautiful south parts of France where they're sent, they go back straight to that muddy and grey so appealing Calais.

And plane continues, again, again, again...

And I don't even speak about attempts to send back people in their country, where you need to buy ticket for 1 or 2 migrants by plane, at most, while thousands arrive each month, plus the 2 or 4 officers that must go with them, and have to come back.

Lol, even money goes against egoism in that case, it's something...
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #835 on: November 14, 2015, 11:29:32 AM »

Greek authorities just confirmed that one of the people who likely perpetrated the Paris attacks crossed through Greece as a refugee on October 3, and was a Syrian passport holder.

Say it loud, say it clear...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #836 on: November 14, 2015, 11:32:00 AM »

Greek authorities just confirmed that one of the people who likely perpetrated the Paris attacks crossed through Greece as a refugee on October 3, and was a Syrian passport holder.

Don't tell that to our naive left-leftist hippie friends on here.

According to them, the migrants are only bringing flowers with them ...
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #837 on: November 14, 2015, 11:35:36 AM »

Yeah, here all the politicians are repeating the jargon that the asylum seekers are fleeing the people like those who committed the attacks... Well, apparently at least that one Syrian asylum seeker wasn't.

But as for those who are genuinely fleeing ISIS, doesn't this attack prove to them that they are not safe in Europe either?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #838 on: November 14, 2015, 11:40:33 AM »

Waaah, didn't know that on this forum I would find barely better comments than some tweets I can see on news tweet accounts...

Lol, plane paid by...your...money too.

It's 'amusing' that all the egoistic proposed solutions (plane, short term hostelery, and lol, even prison), are also those that cost the most money to the 'welcoming' society...isn't that really amusing?

Happens in France, they use jets to take some migrants from Calais to other French immigration centers. And what do migrants do?

They don't f**king care to land in that so fancy beautiful south parts of France where they're sent, they go back straight to that muddy and grey so appealing Calais.

And plane continues, again, again, again...

And I don't even speak about attempts to send back people in their country, where you need to buy ticket for 1 or 2 migrants by plane, at most, while thousands arrive each month, plus the 2 or 4 officers that must go with them, and have to come back.

Lol, even money goes against egoism in that case, it's something...

I would charge them for their plane ticket home, but they have no money. Just ours.

But it's better if they [=> the criminal ones and the economic migrants, not to generalize them] are deported quickly, rather than having them on welfare here for the next years - which equals 1000x a plane ticket home.

Also, you have a valid point: Many migrants are simply picky & choosy. If they are brought to a small village in the French Alps, they need to behave and remain there and not go to Calais again. What's wrong with a small town in the French Alps ? Is it wose than their town in Syria or AfPak ? They should be happy to be in a place like this or otherwise be deported if they are not behaving like ordinary people.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #839 on: November 14, 2015, 12:29:26 PM »

You shouldn't be surprised. ISIL confirmed months ago that this was what they were going to do. Chaotic scenes help people slip back home (for those who went to Syria on a 'jolly') and those who want to leave to go to Europe. The fact that one of countless many got through and was able to attack should not be a surprise.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #840 on: November 14, 2015, 03:17:27 PM »

Also, you have a valid point: Many migrants are simply picky & choosy. If they are brought to a small village in the French Alps, they need to behave and remain there and not go to Calais again. What's wrong with a small town in the French Alps ? Is it wose than their town in Syria or AfPak ? They should be happy to be in a place like this or otherwise be deported if they are not behaving like ordinary people.

Hmm, eventually I was a bit sarcastic...

I said they were deported to...immigration centers...not cute little little small villages in which they are offered flowers.

And then if they don't want to stay, what?

Is there anything wrong with not wanting to stay in a country that globally rejects migrants, has an historical problem with its own Muslim community, in which there is a fast pace growing racism, in which the population has a very hard time speaking the most international language, English, and where job perspectives seems to be kinda...foggy.

Is there a problem in wanting an other country than that to have a better future??

I fear that those people call migrants are just...normal human beings.

Oh and, in some places you still have people nicely welcoming them, and when that happens you have those migrant human beings being very grateful and trying to do the best to integrate themselves to the French society.

What I said then, human beings.

I have an hard time believing that some people can actually try to make a point about....1 guy.....out of thousands, but hey, I'm not surprised either, that's an other aspect of...human beings.

The most stupid it's that it's precisely by rejecting those people that are mainly looking for decent life conditions that you give more odds to create bitter ones in the future that could precisely decide to strike back.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #841 on: November 14, 2015, 07:06:31 PM »

Hmm, eventually I was a bit sarcastic...

I said they were deported to...immigration centers...not cute little little small villages in which they are offered flowers.

And then if they don't want to stay, what?

Is there anything wrong with not wanting to stay in a country that globally rejects migrants, has an historical problem with its own Muslim community, in which there is a fast pace growing racism, in which the population has a very hard time speaking the most international language, English, and where job perspectives seems to be kinda...foggy.

Is there a problem in wanting an other country than that to have a better future??

I fear that those people call migrants are just...normal human beings.

Oh and, in some places you still have people nicely welcoming them, and when that happens you have those migrant human beings being very grateful and trying to do the best to integrate themselves to the French society.

What I said then, human beings.

I have an hard time believing that some people can actually try to make a point about....1 guy.....out of thousands, but hey, I'm not surprised either, that's an other aspect of...human beings.

The most stupid it's that it's precisely by rejecting those people that are mainly looking for decent life conditions that you give more odds to create bitter ones in the future that could precisely decide to strike back.

There is no problem wanting any of those things. At the same time, there is also no problem with the British quite sensibly wanting nothing to do with these people, and using any means to keep them out. They have no right to enter the UK.
The Last Northerner

« Reply #842 on: November 14, 2015, 07:17:56 PM »

I want to believe that a stricter screening process might prevent terror attacks like this in the future but given the sheer numbers and nations of origin, this seems unrealistic.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #843 on: November 15, 2015, 01:49:39 PM »

Major clashes today between left-left wingers and far-right wingers in Spielfeld this afternoon:

About 1.000 far right demonstrators held a rally in the town to protest the migrant swamp and Islamisation of Europe, while a mob of about 500 left-leftist counter protesters decided to destroy 80 cars from the far-right wingers. After which the far right wingers used wooden rods to beat up the left-left wingers. A huge police presence then managed to solve the heated situation.

Spielfeld is the main migrant entry point on the border of Austria and Slovenia, where between 5.000 and 10.000 migrants enter the country each day.

http://www.kleinezeitung.at/s/steiermark/suedsuedwest/peak_suedsuedwest/4866807/Spielfeld_Demos-eskalierten_Ausschreitungen-rund-um-Bahnhof

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #844 on: November 18, 2015, 04:20:21 AM »

Zell am See (my home town), to take up an additional 145 asylum seekers in the next weeks.

http://salzburg.orf.at/news/stories/2742647

Mayor Peter Padourek (ÖVP) during a discussion event yesterday with citizens: "It's doable, we can take up these people because they fled exactly from the same kind of terror that happened in Paris."

Citizens were mixed, with some welcoming them and some voicing concern.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #845 on: November 18, 2015, 08:04:24 AM »

Wow, Germans are really pushing the whole "fleeing the same terror we are experiencing now" narrative. Couple of weeks ago Assad was still behind the crisis, now it's all of a sudden ISIS. Moreover what sort of terror are they escaping when they cross from Slovenia into Austria?
rob in cal
« Reply #846 on: November 20, 2015, 01:43:51 AM »

Any thoughts on what types of people make up the right and left wing protestors in Austria, on this issue?  I'm wondering about social background, education, professions etc.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #847 on: November 20, 2015, 01:45:44 AM »

Wow, Germans are really pushing the whole "fleeing the same terror we are experiencing now" narrative. Couple of weeks ago Assad was still behind the crisis, now it's all of a sudden ISIS. Moreover what sort of terror are they escaping when they cross from Slovenia into Austria?

most people are fleeing both daesh and al-assad. i have no idea how this is not incredibly obvious to you.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #848 on: November 20, 2015, 02:49:50 PM »

Any thoughts on what types of people make up the right and left wing protestors in Austria, on this issue?  I'm wondering about social background, education, professions etc.

First, we are only talking about a handful people who are protesting on both sides. Both sides cannot even manage to get 2.000 people on the street to protest.

The Spielfeld protests are mostly organized by Viennese (or even German) student groups (left and right) and some local pissed-off middle class people on the right-winger side. The leftists are basically 100% made up of leftist students, professional (German Black-Block) protesters and naive hippies.
Hydera

« Reply #849 on: November 20, 2015, 04:57:22 PM »

most people are fleeing both daesh and al-assad. i have no idea how this is not incredibly obvious to you.

ISIS appeared a few years after the Syrian civil war started where most of the influx to turkey was around 2011-2013.

ISIS went from being based mainly in Anbar region in iraq to crossing over to syria and taking most of the Deir es Zor to Jarablus.

Besides the areas that have intense ISIS conflict(Raqqa governate, Hasakah governate, Deir ez Zor) had 20% of the population prior to the conflict.

So its safe that most of them were not fleeing ISIS but the battles between the rebel groups and Assad's military.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies