Brown's Cabinet...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:21:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Brown's Cabinet...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Brown's Cabinet...  (Read 1195 times)
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2005, 08:03:45 AM »

Assuming Blair resigns and Gordon Brown becomes PM at some point in the next two-three years. What will Brown's cabinet look like? Will he make his long-time adviser Ed Balls Chancellor? And where will it leave Blairites such as John Reid and David Blunkett?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 08:06:59 AM »

The two Ed's (Balls and Miliband) would be dead certs to get cabinet jobs IMO, as would Douglas Alexander.
Nick Brown would probably be back. Straw and Kelly could get promoted. Brown's been co-operating with the old Right of the Party (Prescott et al) a fair bit recently, so I'd suspect Johnson might get promoted again.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 08:08:48 AM »

Might some of the expelled lefties (Cook, Dobson?) be back?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 08:13:25 AM »

Cook no; him and Brown don't get on very well for reasons no one apart from them understand. Dobbo... not sure, although it'd be a possibility.

I think Blunkett might stay in the cabinet; he's not too strongly tied to anyone except himself and seeing as he's the most popular politician on council estates he's a huge electoral asset (which is why Blair brought him back).

I'd like to see Clywd get a job.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 08:14:21 AM »

What's the deal with Blunkett's popularity?
M

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 08:48:13 AM »

The two Ed's (Balls and Miliband) would be dead certs to get cabinet jobs IMO, as would Douglas Alexander.
Nick Brown would probably be back. Straw and Kelly could get promoted. Brown's been co-operating with the old Right of the Party (Prescott et al) a fair bit recently, so I'd suspect Johnson might get promoted again.

What would it mean to promote Straw? Chancellor? Is anything else considered above the Foreign Ministry (aside from PM, of course)?
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 01:45:37 PM »

Darling would undoubtedly get one of the jobs in the top three since his Brown's Chief Lieutenant.

I don't think he would tolerate John Reid staying around, and bloody right too. Also that fat Labour party Chair whose name I can never remember - he'll probably go too.

Nick Brown as Chief Whip probably. Don't expect to see Short back, or Cook, there's some odd history there. I don't know about Straw - he's already been Home Secretary, and now Foreign Secretary for over 4 years - part of me says that he'll want to retire from cabinet politics before too long.

Douglas Alexander is a dead cert for a cabinet level job. Kelly obviously will remain in there. It'd be interesting to see what he did with Charles Clarke - probably a demotion to make way for his own Lieutenants.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 01:53:14 PM »

Darling would undoubtedly get one of the jobs in the top three since his Brown's Chief Lieutenant.

You mean the badger? True. I forgot him.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Apparently, Reid is likely to get the "Castle treatment"...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Maybe not. Blair has tried to fire McCartney on several occasions but he's still there. He has powerful friends; namely John Prescott, the Old Right generally and the Unions. Brown needs to be very nice to the last two especially.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies