Biden Bump - 8/15
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 11:39:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Biden Bump - 8/15
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will he enter?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Biden Bump - 8/15  (Read 1868 times)
Progressive
jro660

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2015, 10:54:54 PM »

What do you think? Speculation about him seems to come in circles. I feel though it's still unlikely, it's more likely now than ever.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 11:29:27 PM »

Yes, I think he will run.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 11:33:56 PM »

Why does everyone think he's running all of a sudden? I'm out of the loop.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 11:43:32 PM »

Why does everyone think he's running all of a sudden? I'm out of the loop.
His inner circle keeps leaking reports to the press that he's calling potential allies to hear their thoughts about him running, and it was leaked that it was his son's dying wish.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 12:00:32 AM »

Nope.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 05:54:22 AM »

The odds seem to be increasing rather rapidly.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 08:16:55 AM »

I've been saying this for months but I'll reiterate. I think the party establishment actually wants him in to avoid Bernie coming in 2nd place, and to have the battle be between to trusted establishment progressive Dems.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 08:28:34 AM »

I've been saying this for months but I'll reiterate. I think the party establishment actually wants him in to avoid Bernie coming in 2nd place, and to have the battle be between to trusted establishment progressive Dems.

This will backfire in one of two ways. Either he gets in the race and doesn't do any actual campaigning, which isn't going to beat back Sanders and would only embarrass him, or he is going to have to go after Clinton, which will damage her. The media has held back on her because they don't want to damage the Democrat's chances in the general. If Biden gets in the race at this point in time, he's going to have to answer lots of questions about Clinton's SoS record, the email stuff, and why he thinks he would be a better president than she would. If he criticizes her then it will hurt her, and if he doesn't then his campaign would appear pointless. His criticism would give the media the free pass to go after her as well.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 08:41:00 AM »

This will backfire in one of two ways. Either he gets in the race and doesn't do any actual campaigning, which isn't going to beat back Sanders and would only embarrass him, or he is going to have to go after Clinton, which will damage her. The media has held back on her because they don't want to damage the Democrat's chances in the general. If Biden gets in the race at this point in time, he's going to have to answer lots of questions about Clinton's SoS record, the email stuff, and why he thinks he would be a better president than she would. If he criticizes her then it will hurt her, and if he doesn't then his campaign would appear pointless. His criticism would give the media the free pass to go after her as well.

"The media has held back on her" I beg your pardon?
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 09:03:03 AM »

Fox News and talk radio aren't "the media." Don't be stupid. If this were any one else, sans Obama, she'd be getting thrashed. Instead CNN has wall-to-wall coverage of the Trump show and the networks only want to talk about Cecil the Lion. When it is covered it's framed as a partisan issue (Republicans think this is a big deal, Democrats don't). If Biden got in it would no longer be a partisan issue and the media would have to readjust how they cover it. The only liberal-leaning program that has legitimately criticized her is Morning Joe, and public-access knitting shows draw more viewers.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 09:54:47 AM »

He's actively considering it, which is a lot closer than I had previously thought he'd go, but I still don't think he'll ultimately take the plunge. This all seems very Romney-esque.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 10:20:28 AM »

Fox News and talk radio aren't "the media." Don't be stupid. If this were any one else, sans Obama, she'd be getting thrashed. Instead CNN has wall-to-wall coverage of the Trump show and the networks only want to talk about Cecil the Lion. When it is covered it's framed as a partisan issue (Republicans think this is a big deal, Democrats don't). If Biden got in it would no longer be a partisan issue and the media would have to readjust how they cover it. The only liberal-leaning program that has legitimately criticized her is Morning Joe, and public-access knitting shows draw more viewers.

That's preposterous. The NYT and plenty of the liberal online news blogs have bashed her. She gets it on all ends.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 01:32:04 PM »

If he runs, Biden's campaign will be short and ugly.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 01:45:53 PM »

Yes. He'll struggle with working class whites and blacks. The potential base is just not there.

We seem to have forgotten that the man is a walking gaffe machine who couldn't even poll 2% in 2008-- for a reason. Onion Biden wasn't just invented out of thin air.

He'll lay his hands on the wrong woman and it'll all quickly come crashing down for him. Violating consent and sexual assault (even if stretching the definition of such) are potent charges, especially on the left. It seems cute and funny when he's powerless but it'll be conduct unbecoming of the potential  leader of the free world if he runs. As I said, it'll be ugly.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 03:47:30 PM »

That's preposterous. The NYT and plenty of the liberal online news blogs have bashed her. She gets it on all ends.

The NYT has far more pro-Hillary pieces than the few negative they've published, and their readers understand that the criticism they publish is within a context: every op-ed writer at the paper, with the exception of Douthat (and probably including Dowd), and almost every journalist working there, will vote for her and support her if she is the nominee. Blogs, with the possible exception of HuffPo because traditional media will cite it, don't mean jack squat. TV is what counts for swing voters.

Again, the coverage, when it is there, is almost always about the controversy surrounding the issue, not the issue itself. Cable and network news will have a Republican on to criticize her and a Dem to defend her. If Biden runs, you gain a whole new dimension to the story, should he decide to go after her. Notice I didn't say it isn't being talked about, simply that the media have held back, which they certainly have.

What's preposterous is to say that Democrats, or liberals in the mainstream media, are going after her as hard as they would if there was another viable Democratic candidate in the race. This defies common sense.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 03:57:43 PM »

He better. It will be hilarious.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 12:25:23 AM »

If he can tear into the minority vote from Clinton, even slightly, and Sanders maintains where he is at then the Dem primaries might just be entertaining after all.
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2015, 12:33:26 AM »

I hope he runs.

I can't vote for Hillary and I won't vote for Bernie. Neither will a lot of other Americans.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 01:21:21 AM »

Yes. He'll struggle with working class whites and blacks. The potential base is just not there.

We seem to have forgotten that the man is a walking gaffe machine who couldn't even poll 2% in 2008-- for a reason. Onion Biden wasn't just invented out of thin air.

He'll lay his hands on the wrong woman and it'll all quickly come crashing down for him. Violating consent and sexual assault (even if stretching the definition of such) are potent charges, especially on the left. It seems cute and funny when he's powerless but it'll be conduct unbecoming of the potential  leader of the free world if he runs. As I said, it'll be ugly.

This is trolling and you know it.

Sexual harassment is not taken seriously?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 01:46:29 AM »

He'll lay his hands on the wrong woman and it'll all quickly come crashing down for him. Violating consent and sexual assault (even if stretching the definition of such) are potent charges, especially on the left. It seems cute and funny when he's powerless but it'll be conduct unbecoming of the potential  leader of the free world if he runs. As I said, it'll be ugly.

We both know that's not the part I'm talking about. You just insinuated Biden was going to sexual harass a women. I find that to be quite insulting to him, to be honest.

I was not suggesting that he'd do anything he hasn't done before. One person's affectionate backrub is another person's sexual harassment. Put the Biden we know out on the campaign trail and the potential for a problem is there.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 02:40:21 AM »

What does that have to do with sexual harassment?

And you can't compare Joe Biden's potential base with black voters to that of Hillary and the "first black president". No contest.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 03:29:52 AM »

At this stage I actually think he will.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2015, 03:39:14 AM »

moar troll
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2015, 12:34:38 PM »

Biden would win South Carolina unconditionally.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2015, 12:52:36 PM »

Biden would win South Carolina unconditionally.

Can you imagine the reaction to Sanders winning Iowa and New Hampshire, and Biden winning South Carolina and Nevada? Clinton would be going into Super Tuesday with no wins.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies