Should we destroy the U.S. Contitution?

(1/4) > >>

MaC:
A18 seems to think we should.

Quote from: A18 on May 08, 2005, 02:32:07 AM

The Libertarian Party will never get anywhere because of nutcases like these, and the fact that they have a ridiculous platform, and party members who think abolishing taxation and gutting the military is a great idea.

They'll also never get anywhere because they think everything they don't like is unconstitutional. They sound like a bunch of Democrats. It's ridiculous, really.

Even though, if we had a democrat in office and in congress, I'd be willing to bet he'd be crying bloody murder to everything they pass being unconstitutional.

but hell, why not, let's pass the Patroit Act 2, which completely repeals the 1st, 4th and 5th Amendments.  And then lets repeal the 2nd amendment and turn in all our guns so people won't kill eachother.   (for those who don't notce, I'm being sarcastic).

Erc:
The simple problem is, any Constitution, in order for it to work, needs the will of the people to defend it.  The people forgot about the Constitution over 100 years ago...and, with the exception of the 1st, 5th, 6th, and 14th Amendments, the country wouldn't change a bit if it were burnt.

Even the 'independent' judiciary submitted to mob rule under FDR.

A18:
What in that post says anything about destroying the Constitution? I see we have a Libertarian jFraud now.

beowulf:
By destroying the Constitution, do you mean the original document, or writing a new Constitution?

MaC:
I defend the Constitution based upon what it reads as a strict code for how the government should be limited.  The reason libertarians cry out against laws being unconstitutional is because probably 90% of laws passed ARE unconstitutional.  (Don't quote me on the 90%). 

Where in the constitution does it say we can abridge or repeal your right to own firearms, or set up social safety nets like medicare or social security?  Where does it say we can go to war with Iraq?  Bush declared this war, even though it explicitly says in the Constitution congress has the power to declare war.  Where are black market drugs mentioned in the constitution?  What clause gives the government the right to declare a war on an invisible evil such as drugs or poverty, or terrorism? Where does it say that gays cannot marry?  And how would that possibly harm society in any signifigant way if they could?

And finally, how would raising taxes to fund the military signifigantly mkae our border safer or keep democracy in foriegn lands safe?  Switzerland has most of it's citizens armed and has very little military, but since they claim neutrality, they never have to worry about terrorism.

Seems to me, libertarians take the common sense approach to problems.  We realize that when the founding fathers wrote the constitution, they knew government was the wrong approach to social and economic problems, so they were careful to limit the government's power to a bare minimum. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page