What is the future for social conservatives in U.S. presidential elections?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:12:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What is the future for social conservatives in U.S. presidential elections?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What is the future for social conservatives in U.S. presidential elections?  (Read 3410 times)
hopper
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2015, 11:11:23 PM »

I think that it'll shift to just being about abortion now since as of yesterday gay marriage is a decided issue, though a few holdouts like Hucksterbee and Pope Frothy will continue pushing for a constitutional amendment most will recognize that it's basically a done deal.

The new "Big Three" social issues will be abortion (that one won't end soon, even if there is a partial or full overturning of Roe- which I think is likely in the next 5-10 years), religious liberty, and drugs.

Religious liberty is just being anti-gay, which the GOP have almost nearly done from the 1970's onwards

And Democrats did until 2009.  This issue gained momentum at an alarmingly fast rate, and thankfully it's over.

It's not gonna be over. There's a very clear and constitutional way to overturn what the five activist judges have done. Congress strips all federal courts of marriage cases and restore the state's right to decide. Also under a GOP president impeach and remove all five justices who read gay marriage into the 14th Amendment.

Please explain in detail how any of that could ever actually happen.

There's a bill in congress right now that would strip the federal courts of jurisdiction regarding marriage (something the courts wrongly usurped from the state's)  (marriage isn't in article 1 section 8 so it is a state's right )

A president can along with a majority of congress can remove a justice for the same things other federal officials can (See article 1 and 2 of the Constitution)

Also the Surpreme Court can reconsider a case. (Brown vs Bord of Education is the complete judicial reversal of all Plessy vs Furgeson) I believe this is how Roe v Wade and Oberfall vs Hodges will both be overturned
There's a bill in Congress right now-Which the Dems will block in the US Senate.

Majority of Congress-I don't see where the Republicans get 67 votes in the Senate.
hopper
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2015, 11:22:11 PM »

I think that it'll shift to just being about abortion now since as of yesterday gay marriage is a decided issue, though a few holdouts like Hucksterbee and Pope Frothy will continue pushing for a constitutional amendment most will recognize that it's basically a done deal.

The new "Big Three" social issues will be abortion (that one won't end soon, even if there is a partial or full overturning of Roe- which I think is likely in the next 5-10 years), religious liberty, and drugs.

Religious liberty is just being anti-gay, which the GOP have almost nearly done from the 1970's onwards

And Democrats did until 2009.  This issue gained momentum at an alarmingly fast rate, and thankfully it's over.

It's not gonna be over. There's a very clear and constitutional way to overturn what the five activist judges have done. Congress strips all federal courts of marriage cases and restore the state's right to decide. Also under a GOP president impeach and remove all five justices who read gay marriage into the 14th Amendment.

There's a bill in congress right now that would strip the federal courts of jurisdiction regarding marriage (something the courts wrongly usurped from the state's)  (marriage isn't in article 1 section 8 so it is a state's right )

A president can along with a majority of congress can remove a justice for the same things other federal officials can (See article 1 and 2 of the Constitution)

Also the Surpreme Court can reconsider a case. (Brown vs Bord of Education is the complete judicial reversal of all Plessy vs Furgeson) I believe this is how Roe v Wade and Oberfall vs Hodges will both be overturned

I'm sorry, but have you studied the supreme court? You can't just impeach judges for bad decisions-Judicial Independence is codified in the consititition.

You would have been one of the people threatening to hang Earl Warren in the 1960's wouldn't you?

Judges can be impeached. Even for decisions. No. Warren was actually in the right on the racial stuff. Remember, I would've stood with MLK in the 60's. He'd be standing beside me today on Oberfall vs Hodges. I don't think you can say the same.

I'm glad you know where MLK, who has been dead for over 40 years, would be standing today.

It's also hilarious that you think that one of the greatest civil rights icons would be standing against civil rights. But I don't get the impression from any of your posts that you really have the slightest clue what you're talking about.

MLK was adamant in his opposition to gay rights.

I could put dozens of links up that talk about this but I want you to do the homework.
I think MLK would have been for gay marriage eventually just like the rest of America if he were alive today.

I do think MLK would have spoke out against illegal immigration though had he been alive in the 1990's and 2000's.
hopper
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2015, 12:23:07 AM »

It depends on how you define "social conservatism," as exclusively religious politics or as supporting a group of ideas that are secular, but support a conservative social policy. The second, I think, is bound to be much more successful in the United States moving forward.

All this gloom and doom about social conservatives (I am certainly not one myself) leaves out that if they were willing to - and they have not shown that willingness, at least as far as I have seen - SoCons could build a coalition designed for the 21st century, provided they were willing to branch out beyond evangelicals and the handful of Catholics who they have an alliance with but still do not particularly like. Immigrants from India who are practicing, devout Hindus are staunchly socially conservative, but vote for Democrats in high numbers because of the nativist, evangelizing strain in the American social conservative movement. This would be the first place to start, in addition to perhaps even reaching out to secular Chinese and Japanese immigrants who are very strict with their children at home but are not initially drawn to religiosity in their politicians. Eventually maybe even Muslims and Latinos, since we keep hearing every year about how Hispanics are Republicans who just don't know it yet (I think progress has been made here in reaching out to Hispanic Evangelicals and conservative Catholics and getting them more involved).

The point I'm trying to make here is that social conservatism does not need to be the same thing as political Christianity. A law-and-order, strong-families (or whatever you want to call it) coalition can be built in a multicultural society. Whether today's social conservatives recognize this or not is the question about how relevant they will be.
True Romney won 42% of the Hispanic Evangelical Vote but he only won 23% of the Latino Female Vote Overall when compared to Obamas 76%. That cost Romney NV, NM, CO, and FL.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2015, 09:26:58 PM »

I'm sorry, but have you studied the supreme court? You can't just impeach judges for bad decisions-Judicial Independence is codified in the consititition.

You would have been one of the people threatening to hang Earl Warren in the 1960's wouldn't you?

Judges can be impeached. Even for decisions. No. Warren was actually in the right on the racial stuff. Remember, I would've stood with MLK in the 60's. He'd be standing beside me today on Oberfall vs Hodges. I don't think you can say the same.

I'm glad you know where MLK, who has been dead for over 40 years, would be standing today.

It's also hilarious that you think that one of the greatest civil rights icons would be standing against civil rights. But I don't get the impression from any of your posts that you really have the slightest clue what you're talking about.

MLK was adamant in his opposition to gay rights.

I could put dozens of links up that talk about this but I want you to do the homework.
I think MLK would have been for gay marriage eventually just like the rest of America if he were alive today.

I do think MLK would have spoke out against illegal immigration though had he been alive in the 1990's and 2000's.

What is your reasoning regarding MLK on marriage?
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2015, 01:10:49 PM »

I tend to think that the parties will realign somewhat. After a string of defeats and with gay marriage being deprioritized as an issue the GOP might begin to ignore it and nominate someone like Rob Portman. In response, many of the younger evangelicals, many of whom are more economically progressive and environmentalist then there parents generation and either indifferent or supportive of gay rights will migrate to the Democrats while yuppies from Connecticut become Republicans. My hope for the future of politics is the Democrats shedding country club Rockefeller Republican types who historically don't belong in our party anyway and going back to being a big tent populist party while the GOP becomes essentially a coalition of libertarians and moderate fiscally conservative technocrats while the truly hardcore evangelicals retreat into the political exile that they were in during the mid 20th century.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2015, 12:32:51 PM »

What's considered liberal today could be considered conservative in 50 years. Having said that, I see the "religious freedom" argument gaining more steam in conservative circles. It's a way to oppose something without seeming prejudice.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies