How did the wealthiest communities in your state vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:23:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How did the wealthiest communities in your state vote?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How did the wealthiest communities in your state vote?  (Read 3744 times)
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2016, 05:16:10 PM »

West Michigan is very conservative, especially up in Dick DeVos land near Grand Rapids. I'm from Oakland County, which usually goes blue in the Presidential election, though by a slim margin.

... So are those the two wealthiest areas in the state?

Oakland County has Bloomfield Hills, one of the wealthiest places in the nation, but also Pontiac. Not sure how the average shapes up.
Pontiac is pretty poor, as I understand.  Overall, I think Oakland County is one of the wealthiest counties in the country.

Yeah but only in terms of numbers, really outside Bloomfield Hills and Auburn Hills. My hometown is a very middle class, Leave-It-To-Beaver type place that's actually very affordable, despite being in one of the richest counties of the country.
Oakland, MI was reliably Republican until 1992 (except for 1964). Except for Pontiac and a few southeast comminities with sizable Black and Jewish populations, Oakland was pretty solidly Republican through the 1980s and even into the 1990s. Influx of ethincally and religiously diverse people along with a decline of the business conservatism of the county has made it more Democratic since then.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies