Post random maps here
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:11:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Post random maps here
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 [108] 109 110 111 112 113 ... 238
Author Topic: Post random maps here  (Read 979740 times)
Ronald Reagan
Spl2
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2675 on: May 13, 2010, 09:37:17 PM »

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2676 on: May 13, 2010, 11:09:38 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2010, 11:12:23 PM by David Lee Roth »

Wrongo.
It's a map of the strongest popular vote performance per state in each election since 1840 with the colors representing the party that achieved the shaded percentage vote.
I made a similar map that included all elections since 1824, but Jackson and Adams were such outliers in some states that I had to make another more narrow map.
Someday I might make one of all elections since 1900, which should be interesting.
What I found interesting is that minus Jackson's performance in 1832 in the Deep South, the best candidate in the Deep South was Franklin Delano Roosevelt, the infamous baby's daddy of modern day American "liberalism".
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2677 on: May 13, 2010, 11:10:52 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2010, 11:27:13 PM by David Lee Roth »

This is the original map I made of the strongest popular vote performances per state since 1824.
Blue=Adams Republicans
Red=Jackson Democrats
Someday when I have enough time and not so much stuff to do I'll make a modified map of this that lists the years in which the highest vote percentages were achieved by state.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2678 on: May 14, 2010, 06:55:14 AM »

What I found interesting is that minus Jackson's performance in 1832 in the Deep South, the best candidate in the Deep South was Franklin Delano Roosevelt, the infamous baby's daddy of modern day American "liberalism".

Oh, please... Roll Eyes I think you know how intellectually dishonest this attack is.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2679 on: May 14, 2010, 07:19:52 AM »

Oh, please... Roll Eyes I think you know how intellectually dishonest this attack is.

Okay I'll admit that alot of those votes were probably just in reaction to a Great Depression, poor whites and blacks were discriminated against at the voting booth, and that it was in 1932.....the first year that FDR ran for office that quite a few of these states voted for him by said margins.
But even without a Great Depression.................do you really think any of those states would've voted for FDR by any amount less than they voted for (at the very least) Al Smith?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2680 on: May 14, 2010, 08:22:43 AM »

Okay I'll admit that alot of those votes were probably just in reaction to a Great Depression, poor whites and blacks were discriminated against at the voting booth, and that it was in 1932.....the first year that FDR ran for office that quite a few of these states voted for him by said margins.
But even without a Great Depression.................do you really think any of those states would've voted for FDR by any amount less than they voted for (at the very least) Al Smith?

Smith was a Catholic. For any other democrat, I have no reason to think they would poll worse than FDR in the climate of Great Depression.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2681 on: May 14, 2010, 10:02:38 AM »
« Edited: May 14, 2010, 02:08:42 PM by David Lee Roth »

Smith was a Catholic. For any other democrat, I have no reason to think they would poll worse than FDR in the climate of Great Depression.

Granted, I'm not implying that FDR was any more evil than say someone like William H. Murray (anyone who has read my Great Depression timeline knows this, hell FDR is like the friggin hero in that TL), just that how people focused on what "liberal" or "conservative" was back then.  I also used it to demonstrate quite easily how sensitive "liberals" and "progressives" are to any mention of how well FDR did with Southerners (admit, your response was so predictable).  SUre he didn't campaign on hanging negroes or federalizing segregation, but he sure as hell didn't ignore Southern wants in his campaigns.  That's because in reality FDR wasn't the gallant advancer of liberal causes as he's portrayed in history books but rather as a consensus builder.  In addition to winning the South and record numbers he also won the American West in record numbers in places like New Mexico in 1932 (I believe he might be the ONLY candidate to ever win over 60% of the popular vote in New Mexico in 1932 and 1936), Arizona 1936, and California in 1936 (with 66.95% of the popular vote).
I'm not arguing that FDR was really a southern bred William H. Murray Democrat, but he wouldn'tve come second only to Andrew Jackson in popular vote terms if he didn't agree to leave the Southern states to their own devices in regards to Civil Rights during the 1930's.  Would it be so far fetched for me to suggest that by taking a moderate stance in regards to Southern policies FDR might've done better than most other Democrats because some anti-segregation whites in the Deep South might've voted (alongside segregationists) for FDR instead of the Republican?  With the exception of the Japanese internment camps he was miles ahead of his predecessor on nearly every social policy.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2682 on: May 14, 2010, 10:41:27 AM »
« Edited: May 14, 2010, 10:43:41 AM by Antonio V »

I also used it to demonstrate quite easily how sensitive "liberals" and "progressives" are to any mention of how well FDR did with Southerners (admit, your response was so predictable).

Of course it was predictable. I said your comment was intellectually dishonest because I found it intellectually dishonest, and you eventually admitted that in great part it had nothing to do with your point. I just don't like this way of debating, using provocation in order to support your argumentation.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And what did you expect him to do ? Campaigning throughout the South saying "you racist bastards, please don't vote for me !" ? Roosevelt was a "consensus builder" because at the time democrats were totally dependent to the South, and taking anti-segregation stances at the time would have been a political suicide. As soon as a new progressive democratic coalition was buil, the party started to evolve on the Civil Rights issue BTW, the GOP could have campaigned for civil rights far before, and without any political risk. If there is a party which should be blamed for how late racial equality has been enforced in the US, it's definitely the GOP. And anyways, Roosevelt was as much as a liberal as a democrat could be at the time, and on a long term he made his party strong enough to be able to afford the loss of the South, and thus to abolish Segregation. Of course this is a personal opinion, but I think we could thank him a bit for what happened 30 years later.

Well yes, but anyways I don't think segregation was a very important issue. The South considered it as granted since the beginning of the Century, and the North wasn't really willing to change this anymore.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2683 on: May 14, 2010, 02:15:57 PM »

I also used it to demonstrate quite easily how sensitive "liberals" and "progressives" are to any mention of how well FDR did with Southerners (admit, your response was so predictable).

Of course it was predictable. I said your comment was intellectually dishonest because I found it intellectually dishonest, and you eventually admitted that in great part it had nothing to do with your point. I just don't like this way of debating, using provocation in order to support your argumentation.

And what did you expect him to do ? Campaigning throughout the South saying "you racist bastards, please don't vote for me !" ? Roosevelt was a "consensus builder" because at the time democrats were totally dependent to the South, and taking anti-segregation stances at the time would have been a political suicide. As soon as a new progressive democratic coalition was buil, the party started to evolve on the Civil Rights issue BTW, the GOP could have campaigned for civil rights far before, and without any political risk. If there is a party which should be blamed for how late racial equality has been enforced in the US, it's definitely the GOP. And anyways, Roosevelt was as much as a liberal as a democrat could be at the time, and on a long term he made his party strong enough to be able to afford the loss of the South, and thus to abolish Segregation. Of course this is a personal opinion, but I think we could thank him a bit for what happened 30 years later.

Well yes, but anyways I don't think segregation was a very important issue. The South considered it as granted since the beginning of the Century, and the North wasn't really willing to change this anymore.

My point is this is a "Post a Random Map" thread and I described what my random map was about, put a random factoid up (granted using the words "baby's daddy" was an easy provocation) and it has now evolved into a total bitchfest.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2684 on: May 14, 2010, 02:19:18 PM »

Bitchfest ? Huh It seemed to me that we were discussing.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2685 on: May 14, 2010, 02:33:27 PM »

Sorry it seems like at various times in your posts you seemed to sound like I offended you in some manner.
And also, reason why I bring up FDR so many times is that because to me liberal worship of FDR reminds me a lot of conservative worship of Reagan: misguided and tons of excuses made for both as to why they exemplify their ideologies when also being anything but in some cases.  I am just as annoyed by FDR being called "liberal" while he remained quiet on Civil Rights for his first 8 years just as much as I am annoyed by Reagan being called "conservative" while supporting massive deficit spending.
And (what do you know) Reagan seemed to do really well in the so-called "libertarian west".
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2686 on: May 14, 2010, 03:30:11 PM »

Sorry it seems like at various times in your posts you seemed to sound like I offended you in some manner.

Arguing against you is the same as bitching now ? I don't think I was using a particularly aggressive tone, I simply expressed a disagreement with what you said.
And while, as I said, I felt pretty annoyed by the way you started this debate, I always find worthwhile to discuss with you. Wink So if you are interested in answering to my few points, feel free to do.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2687 on: May 15, 2010, 08:48:21 PM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2688 on: May 16, 2010, 03:36:19 AM »
« Edited: May 17, 2010, 05:04:11 AM by Antonio V »

The second one is just having the first column entirely red and the second entirely blue. Tongue

For the second one... I'll guess it is alternating blue/red/blue/red every time.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2689 on: May 16, 2010, 02:02:33 PM »

Arguing against you is the same as bitching now ? I don't think I was using a particularly aggressive tone, I simply expressed a disagreement with what you said.
And while, as I said, I felt pretty annoyed by the way you started this debate, I always find worthwhile to discuss with you. Wink So if you are interested in answering to my few points, feel free to do.

Sorry man, I had very little sleep that day and couldn't think coherently.
I'm being serious.

But still it's interesting how some of the data matches up that I've collected, like William Bryan, populist extraordinaire, being the best candidate in the American West.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2690 on: May 17, 2010, 05:04:37 AM »

Sorry man, I had very little sleep that day and couldn't think coherently.
I'm being serious.

But still it's interesting how some of the data matches up that I've collected, like William Bryan, populist extraordinaire, being the best candidate in the American West.

The map was quite interesting indeed.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2691 on: May 17, 2010, 06:28:57 PM »

The second one is just having the first column entirely red and the second entirely blue. Tongue

For the second one... I'll guess it is alternating blue/red/blue/red every time.
Bingo! Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2692 on: May 18, 2010, 06:19:24 AM »

Bingo! Smiley

I knew because I tried several times. Tongue
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #2693 on: May 22, 2010, 11:44:14 AM »

I'm really curious about this one.
ComeAndTakeIt53
CalebR
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2694 on: May 29, 2010, 10:26:28 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2010, 10:28:53 PM by CalebR »

Red=Republicans
Blue=Democrats
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2695 on: June 03, 2010, 09:05:06 PM »

Well, MS/AL stick out for some reason.

Do MS/AL have something to do with 1968, and NH something to do with 2000?

You're correct with 2000, but not 1968. You're on the right track though.

The red and green ones all went for Gore in 2000 (or were lost by Bush in 2000, depending on how you want to look at it), so that's a starting point.

THat is correct, and indeed, that is the starting point to figuring out what my map means.
[/quote]

The map is a comparrison between the elections of 1960 and 2000.

Green: Nixon/Gore
Red: Kennedy/Gore
Gray: Kennedy/Bush
Blue: Nixon/Bush
Yellow: Unpledged/Bush
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2696 on: June 03, 2010, 09:11:22 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Obamanation.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2697 on: June 03, 2010, 09:13:42 PM »

Thank you. I've been lurking this place for a while and I thought I'd sign up.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #2698 on: June 03, 2010, 09:20:01 PM »

Well, MS/AL stick out for some reason.

Do MS/AL have something to do with 1968, and NH something to do with 2000?

You're correct with 2000, but not 1968. You're on the right track though.

The red and green ones all went for Gore in 2000 (or were lost by Bush in 2000, depending on how you want to look at it), so that's a starting point.

THat is correct, and indeed, that is the starting point to figuring out what my map means.

The map is a comparrison between the elections of 1960 and 2000.

Green: Nixon/Gore
Red: Kennedy/Gore
Gray: Kennedy/Bush
Blue: Nixon/Bush
Yellow: Unpledged/Bush
[/quote]

BAM you got it! Welcome to the forum! Cheesy
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2699 on: June 03, 2010, 11:07:44 PM »

Apologies for the question, but how do you make maps?
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 [108] 109 110 111 112 113 ... 238  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies