Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:34:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)  (Read 108270 times)
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« on: July 26, 2015, 10:12:44 PM »

Sam Yorty Announces Presidential Campaign; Pledges to "Restore Responsibility"

Good morning. After months of consultation and input from my family, friends, and fellow citizens, I have filed paperwork to run for President of the United States this year.

Look everywhere around you, and what do you see happening in this country? You see despair. You see dissolution. You see defeat. These trends have been with us for the better part of the past decade, and what it takes is a strong leader to bring this country out of its sorry state and turn it around. Now, you'll see plenty of candidates volunteer their names to do the job of president by claiming your precious vote. Ask yourself, though: Are they the real deal? Friends, I'm the real deal.

One's record is a good barometer for who would be an effective president, and even my fiercest opponents concede that I've done a lot as Mayor of Los Angeles. Under my leadership, we have expanded the freeway system to now become one of the largest and most famous in the world, making this city a central hub of commerce in the United States. Los Angeles isn't just booming in commerce, though, as our newly constructed music centers and zoos show that we have a vibrant culture even in this era of gloominess. I've led a cleaner and more prosperous city for a decade, and now I want to do the same for the rest of the nation.

The current leadership has failed the American people, to put it simply. President Nixon has given in to the demands of the pacifist nutjobs by this strategy of "Vietnamization," which is really just pulling out of Vietnam without declaring any kind of victory. That is a slap to the face to all of our troops if I ever saw one. Communism is a threat to the entire globe and one that we must combat wherever it rears its ugly head. Victory in Vietnam is achievable if we double down and set clear mission objectives, which is what I intend to do as president. This country has had a muddy foreign policy in recent times that has alienated our allies and shredded our credibility. Pursuing a foreign policy of peace through strength instead would lead to longtime stability and erase confusions about what our goals are when we exert our influence abroad.

Beyond our international failures, domestic policy under Nixon has been a catastrophe. The man who promised to close the book on the chaos of the Sixties has presided under rising unemployment, rapid inflation, and a booming national debt all while our free enterprise system has been strained in the process. This sort of fiscal irresponsibility will lead us to even darker times if nothing is done to correct it. Too many of these candidates are promoting the same reckless policies, but I am serious when I want to look to the future and promote a better path.

As Democrats will be voting in the primaries over these next few months, I ask each and every one of the voters to take a look at who I am and what I stand for. I am a moderate with a clear vision to restore responsibility in the White House. There are radicals running with a suicidal mission to withdraw from the entire world, but I will proudly stand up and defend American efforts to eradicate the spectre of communism. As a young congressman in 1940, I motioned to declare war on Hitler's Germany. While I wasn't successful then, what I predicted came to be true, and I am just as certain of the dangers we face today. The people of this country want a leader who promotes reason, strength, and frugality. I hope to be your voice this election, and I will now be traveling across the country to secure the Democratic nomination.

Thank you.

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 12:40:12 AM »

Sam Yorty Campaign Schedule: January 2-8

January 2
-Meet and Greet in Plymouth, NH
-Meet and Greet in Epping, NH
-Meet and Greet in Meredith, NH
-Opening of campaign office in Manchester, NH

With the opening of my new campaign office here in Manchester, I'm proud to say that I will be investing a great deal of my time in the nation's first primary over these next two months. New Hampshire has shown that they can have a great influence on the campaign cycle. Just four years ago, an incumbent president dropped out after his poor performance here! With your help, a victory here can bring the momentum we need to overcome the odds and secure the nomination.

January 3
-Meet and Greet in Seabrook, NH
-Meet and Greet in Bristol, NH
-Town Hall in Alton, NH
-Town Hall in New Boston, NH
-Town Hall in Wakefield, NH

January 4
-Town Hall in Brookline, NH
-Town Hall in Auburn, NH
-Town Hall in Raymond, NH
-Town Hall in Franklin, NH
-Town Hall in Bow, NH

January 5
-Meet and Greet in Loudon, NH
-Meet and Greet in Rye, NH
-Meet and Greet in Greenville, NH
-Rally in Hudson, NH
-Rally in Concord, NH

I admit that I'm not the most well-known of the Democrats running this year. However, if you already know who I am, you may have heard that I have quite a reputation for being a character. *chuckles* People have given me plenty of nicknames over the years. Everyone calls me Mayor Sam in my hometown of Los Angeles, but there's also Travelin' Sam, Mad Sam Yorty, and—perhaps my favorite—Saigon Sam, among others. Look, call me what you want, but I tell it like it is and I'm not afraid to speak up for myself. We need more politicians who are willing and able to do that. I'm going around the country speaking my message and I hope that it will be receptive to a large audience. If I must call out a few people while on the campaign trail, no hesitations here!

January 6
-Town Hall in Lebanon, NH
-Town Hall in Salem, NH
-Roundtable Meeting in Rochester, NH
-Rally and Fundraiser in Nashua, NH

January 7
-Rally and Fundraiser in Bakersfield, CA
-Rally and Fundraiser in Fairfield, CA
-Rally and Fundraiser in Los Angeles, CA
-Meeting with California Democratic Party leaders in Los Angeles, CA

You know, I read Congressman Schmitz's remarks on President Nixon the other day. What a guy, huh? Calling Nixon a communist is a little far out there, to say the least, but there is a nugget of truth to what he said that day. I feel that the President has been too weak when it comes to engaging the evil that is communism. His Vietnam policy is a reflection of how the peaceniks have gotten into his head, which is a shame. We need leadership that sends a clear signal on what our foreign policy is. That means avoiding situations like secretly bombing Cambodia while publicly embracing Red China at the same time.

January 8
-Town Hall in Florence, AZ
-Town Hall in Sun Lakes, AZ
-Town Hall in Paradise Valley, AZ
-Town Hall in Sierra Vista, AZ
-Rally and Fundraiser in Tuscon, AZ

Campaign Activities

-Setting up campaign offices in early primary states (New Hampshire, Arizona, Florida)
-Securing endorsements from local party leaders in early primary states
-Fundraising in major American cities
-Advertising (direct mail) in early primary states

Note: The Yorty campaign will be filing in the New Hampshire and Florida primaries.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 02:39:44 PM »

Sam Yorty Endorsements

Senator Robert Byrd (D-WV)

Mayor Yorty is an honorable man who has defended American values at home and abroad for his whole career. I trust him to put this nation back on track after years of unrest, and I will do whatever I can to help him get elected this year.

January 2-5
-Senatorial duties

January 6-8
-Barnstorming in IA, AZ, and FL
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 07:13:33 PM »

May we get polls for Iowa, Arizona, and New Hampshire on both sides?
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 02:38:25 AM »

MAJOR SPEECH FROM MAYOR SAM YORTY: BRINGING BACK LAW AND ORDER

Mayor Sam Yorty made the following remarks during a stop in Manchester, New Hampshire, billed as a major policy speech:

Good afternoon, everyone. Please have a seat.

The news that we all heard from Baton Rouge last night has sent shock waves throughout the country. It is a painful reminder that despite a pledge to turn the page on the chaos that engulfed the last decade, this new decade seems all too familiar to Americans. Nothing substantive has really changed from 1968 to 1972. As some personal experience, I have had to directly deal with similar riots in my own city of Los Angeles. Back in 1965, the Watts neighborhood in L.A. blew up for a week, and what came from all of the rioting? Lost lives, plenty more injured, and tons of destroyed businesses. You can be damn sure that not a positive thing came out of that deliquency, and we have seen this same story play out over and over again in recent years.

I won't mince words: If you're like me, you're angry as hell right now. What can be done of it, though? I've got an answer for you: backbone. For far too long many of our leaders in government have been too permissive toward social unrest. Where is the outrage coming from them? A real leader would step up to the occasion and defend ordinary people from the hooligans parading around in the street. There should be no friction between the federal government and the states when it comes to handling incidents like these, and as president I would swiftly act to improve communication and significantly increase funding for law enforcement. There should be no reason why officers across the country are deprived of resources and why citizens can't feel safe walking on their own streets.

A real leader would also acknowledge a very painful fact, and that is this: our great nation has been increasingly splitting apart into different factions. Many of our younger folks have become radicalized by these social movements that have upended society. They come out as agitators, doing nothing but harm to our communities. Just look at who initiated these latest riots. The Black Liberation Army, the Black Panthers, and all of the other radicals of their kind are nothing but terrorists hellbent on destroying civilization as we know it. They are declaring a war on the United States of America, and if it's a war that they want, then we should come right back at them with everything we've got. No sympathy for these thugs, only punishment.

Unfortunately, not many of the candidates for President are running on this message. Many of them are dancing around the issue and offering nothing new to the table, maybe only providing the occasional lip service. In fact, some of the candidates downright frighten me with how they might deal with social unrest. Can you imagine a George McGovern, Eugene McCarthy, or Mike Gravel effectively handling widespread national violence? There is very little room for error and no room for weakness when you are the President of the United States. When you have ideologues with guns and opportunistic looters collaborating to destroy order, a real leader would clamp down on all criminal activities and seek to restore stability.

Law and order might be the defining issue of our times. If we cannot control the situation within our own borders, how can we claim any authority as a world leader? For this reason, I am offering a challenge to President Nixon and my fellow Democrats: show that you mean it when you condemn riots such as this one. Are you willing to do what is necessary to bring about peace again, or will you remain wishy-washy and let the violence persist for years to come? I hope that all of the candidates will stand with the American people and I when we say, "End the madness now."

Thank you.

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 03:34:46 AM »

Sam Yorty Campaign Schedule: January 9-15

January 9
-Meet and Greet in San Manuel, AZ
-Meet and Greet in Holbrook, AZ
-Meet and Greet in Benson, AZ
-Meet and Greet in Vail, AZ
-Meet and Greet in Fort Mohave, AZ

January 10
-Town Hall in Anthem, AZ
-Town Hall in Rio Rico, AZ
-Town Hall in Eloy, AZ
-Opening of campaign office in Phoenix, AZ

VOTER: What would you do on the economy?

YORTY: Well, first of all, I'd take everything that Nixon did these last few years and throw it all in the trash. This president has been a total failure here, and God help us all if the next administration follows his footsteps. It's not the government that creates jobs and spurs growth, it's everyone in the marketplace. Taking drastic measures like price controls and confiscation of valuable belongings does not show effective leadership at all. Now, there are areas where we may provide a boost. Spending on our nation's infrastructure has been overlooked, and as president I would work to increase funding for construction and repair, for good-paying jobs come out of those opportunities. Above everything, I would practice fiscal responsibility for a change. That means no out-of-control spending and a pile of unsustainable debt on our backs. We've got to think about our children and grandchildren here and not make reckless decisions in the short term.

January 11
-Rally in Avondale, AZ
-Rally in Goodyear, AZ
-Rally in Mesa, AZ
-Fundraiser in Phoenix, AZ

This primary looks to be very crowded, folks. You'll get plenty of candidates coming your way these next few weeks, asking for your vote. Here at the Yorty campaign, we're taking things one step at a time. I may not be the most famous candidate or the one with the most money behind my name, but what I've got is a clear message for how we'll fix our problems. With your help, we can take this nomination and head all the way to the White House!

January 12
-Town Hall in Swanzey, NH
-Town Hall in Peterborough, NH
-Major Address in Manchester, NH

January 13
-Meet and Greet in Sunapee, NH
-Meet and Greet in Antrim, NH
-Meet and Greet in Chichester, NH
-Rally in Keene, NH
-Rally in Derry, NH

You know, it's pathetic how so little attention has been given to the Baton Rouge riot by most of the candidates so far. One might think that unrest would redirect their attention to back home, but I suppose not. Let me tell you something: I am running for President to speak the truth on these matters and to get something done rather than to just engage in empty rhetoric like all the professional politicians out there. If you want more destroyed communities, there are plenty of candidates to choose from. But if you want a return to order, I'm the guy to do the job.

January 14
-Rally in Merrimack, NH
-Rally in Hudson, NH
-Rally in Bedford, NH
-Fundraiser in Nashua, NH

January 15
-Meet and Greet in Milsum, NH
-Meet and Greet in Columbia, NH
-Meet and Greet in Cornish, NH
-Meet and Greet in Lancaster, NH
-Meet and Greet in Lee, NH

Campaign Activities

-Hiring more campaign staff in early primary states (Arizona, New Hampshire, Florida)
-Contacting grassroots Democratic organizations in early primary states and gauging support
-Voter outreach in early primary states and later high-delegate primaries (California, Illinois, Pennsylvania)
-Fundraising in major cities nationwide (Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Philadelphia)
-Expanding mailing list nationwide, with focus on larger states
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 03:49:17 AM »

TV Ad: End The Madness Now

[. . .]  If you're like me, you're angry as hell right now. [. . .]

[. . .] They are declaring a war on the United States of America, and if it's a war that they want, then we should come right back at them with everything we've got. [. . .]

[. . .] I hope that all of the candidates will stand with the American people and I when we say, "End the madness now."

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 02:48:14 PM »

Sam Yorty Endorsements

Former Governor Happy Chandler (D-KY)

More than all the other candidates, Mayor Yorty represents the spirit that this country needs back if we want to get out of our slump. The man has my full support.

January 9-12
-Barnstorming in IA

January 13-15
-Barnstorming in AZ

Mr. Ross Perot (I-TX)

Yorty's a good guy, I like him quite a bit. He's no-nonsense, too. I'd say it's high time that we get tough-talking leader like that to fix things around here. Wouldn't you?

January 9-13
-Fundraising in TX

January 14-15
-Barnstorming in AZ

Past Endorsements

Robert Byrd: Barnstorming in AZ
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 01:39:33 AM »

Yortymentum!

Keep up the excellent work here, Lumine. You're a great host.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 10:53:01 PM »

Oh, the gloves are coming off... perfect! Please remember this turn ends tomorrow night, unless someone asks for an extension.

Wouldn't it be ending tonight?
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 11:46:23 PM »

Mayor Yorty speaks on the Chicago terrorist plot in Phoenix, AZ

Like the rest of you, I have heard about this plot in Chicago to poison the water supply. It's a wonderful thing that law enforcement caught these scumbags before they ever did any real harm, but if you think that this will be one isolated incident, think again. As we have seen throughout the country, criminal behavior is on the upswing. Not just petty crimes like theft or violent disturbances like riots, but cold, calculated measures like this plot. That should be concerning to all Americans.

Look at the terrorists who were behind this. These weren't seasoned criminals but, rather, young college students. These folks were radicalized by their environment, as many of our young people are now. Some of the candidates may go soft on these terrorists and claim that they're also victims who deserve our sympathy, but don't believe their lies for one second. The only thing that these radicals believe in and care for is the complete destruction of America. They would have been willing to harm or kill countless lives to make it happen. And, hey, poisoning the water would be a good way to do that.

I repeat a point that I've been making for more than a week: Who else in the field is taking these issues seriously? No one from what I see. Not Muskie, not Lindsay, and definitely not the second- and third-tier pinkos. I am the only voice for millions of Americans terrified of what's going on and desperate for order. What's really sad is that everyone should have outrage over incidents like this, and yet we don't see that happening. Maybe they're too disconnected from the real world to understand the implications, but if this keeps up, this whole country will be going to hell in a matter of time. As long as I'm still around, though, know that you'll have a fighter for the people of this country.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 12:20:31 AM »

Mayor Yorty responds to Senator Muskie

It is interesting that Senator Muskie would rather spend time trying to attack me instead of addressing the issues that I've been talking about. Americans across the nation are fearful of what's right around the next street corner. They're worried about their family, friends, and neighbors, and they have every reason to. All I ask for is for our politicians and our government to do something about the worsening situation at home. It would be wise for the good Senator to redirect his energy towards making a real change instead of sticking with the status quo.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 02:29:40 AM »
« Edited: August 03, 2015, 02:54:41 AM by Co-Speaker Spiral »

Sam Yorty Campaign Schedule: January 16-22

January 16
-Meet and Greet in Rummey, NH
-Meet and Greet in Sandwich, NH
-Meet and Greet in Bethlehem, NH
-Rally in Derry, NH

I have to say that I've often been the underdog in my career. Maybe it's just my nature, but I always like a good fight when I see one on the horizon. Just take a look at when I first ran for Mayor of Los Angeles. No one expected me to win that race. They threw all the money against me, and they even accused me of being cozy with the mob to ruin my image! Why didn't those attacks stick, though? I think the people of Los Angeles saw through them like a flimsy piece of paper. I was the guy in that election with a real agenda: to manage the city's garbage, reduce pollution, and expand our freeway system. After a few years, I'm proud to say that all of those promises were fulfilled, and the city is now better than ever under my leadership.

January 17
-Meet and Greet in Bristol, NH
-Town Hall in Auburn, NH
-Town Hall in Rindge, NH
-Rally in Hudson, NH
-Fundraiser in Manchester, NH

Look at the polls. I am now in third place nationally, and I'm surging all across the board. Surely this campaign's message is resonating with a lot of folks. Now, there will be many in the beltway who dismiss this as something that will easily go away with enough time. Well, guess what? We're not going away! *cheers* This is a fight that I'm 100% devoted to, and I hope that all of you in New Hampshire will proudly stand beside me when the moment counts and you make your voices heard in March.

January 18
-Town Hall in Saddlebrooke, AZ
-Town Hall in Winslow, AZ
-Town Hall in Tubas City, AZ
-Town Hall in Thatcher, AZ
-Rally in Flagstaff, AZ

VOTER: How do you feel about President Nixon's China policy? Is that the right thing to be doing?

YORTY: Good question, sir. I look at the President's approach to China with a great deal of skepticism, and if we're not careful, full relations could leave us with the short end of the stick in the future. After all, think of who we are engaging with here. Mao Zedong is a tyrant who executed and starved millions more of his own people than even Stalin in the Soviet Union. Is that the kind of company that we want to reach out to? We should continue to take a strong stand against communism wherever it is, not prop it up. Nixon's visit next month might become a turning point for the world, and I fear for the worst.

January 19
-Town Hall in Youngstown, AZ
-Town Hall in Globe, AZ
-Rally in Avondale, AZ
-Rally in Yuma, AZ
-Fundraiser in Scottsdale, AZ

Another reason not to trust commies? We caught a few Soviet vessels crossing our waters and hanging around by Alaska. It's clear that the Soviets not only disrespect our borders, but are willing to escalate our skirmishes into a full-blown nuclear war. The next president needs to put their foot down and make it clear to the Soviets that what they have been doing is unacceptable. Leniency would only give them more legitimacy. The only way that we will be able to win this Cold War is by showing strength and constraining them.

January 20
-Rally in Casa Grande, AZ
-Rally in Tempe, AZ
-Rally in Surprise, AZ
-Rally in Pheonix, AZ
-Fundraiser in Phoenix, AZ

Would you like to know a sign that your campaign is doing well? When your opponents start attacking you! I for one welcome it, because more and more people will begin paying attention and see who really are the serious candidates. Senator Muskie, I'm sorry to say, is just engaging in the same old fluff that we all expect from politicians. What is he proposing to actually better people's lives? More importantly, is he going to do anything about it? I doubt it. All I know is that Senator Muskie should absolutely not be the standard-bearer for our party in the fall. He will let us all down and lose, just as he did when he was on the ticket last time. It's time for a new voice to be the nominee, not the same stuffy establishment figures we've come to know.

January 21
-Meet and Greet in Clifton, AZ
-Meet and Greet in Willcox, AZ
-Meet and Greet in Rio Verde, AZ
-Meet and Greet in Bisbee, AZ
-Fundraiser in Gilbert, AZ

January 22
-Rally in Miami Gardens, FL
-Rally in Brandon, FL
-Fundraiser in Miami, FL
-Opening of campaign office in Jacksonville, FL

A certain somebody in the race has attacked me because of some comments I made on other Democrats. He even accused me of being a modern-day Joe McCarthy. Look, if I really was like McCarthy then I would have called them treasonous commies right there, but I know that isn't true. Believe me, it's not pleasant to be labeled a communist, as I unfairly was years ago. A pinko is someone who condones the extremism of the left and who doesn't have a spine to stand up against the extremists when they harm others. Many of my opponents are too willing to give up on Vietnam and let communists take over Southeast Asia. They're also not willing to do anything substantial to combat domestic terrorism, as we've seen with the recent Chicago plot. I will gracefully achieve victory in Vietnam and bring back law and order in this country. If the frontrunner doesn't consider me a serious candidate, very well, but the people will judge otherwise.

Campaign Activities

-Expanding fundraising efforts in California, New York, Texas, and Florida
-Expanding campaign infrastructure in Arizona, New Hampshire, and Florida
-Recruiting hawkish Republican voters to switch registration and vote in Democratic primaries
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 03:10:09 AM »

Sam Yorty Endorsements

Former Governor John W. King (D-NH)

It is clear that no other Democrat running can compare to Sam Yorty. He is a true patriot who means what he says and who will right wrongs. He will take down the appeasers and bring us victory in Vietnam after so long. New Hampshire, I implore you to vote for him in the primary.

January 16-22
-Barnstorming in NH
-Fundraising in NH

Note: Governor King will be chairman of the Yorty campaign's New Hampshire operation.

Past Endorsements

Ross Perot: Fundraising in TX
Happy Chandler: Barnstorming in AZ
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 01:05:34 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2015, 01:10:47 PM by Co-Speaker Spiral »

REPORTER: Mayor, how do you respond to attacks from your opponent Senator Gravel?

YORTY: Well, it's clear that Senator Gravel has been obsessing over me this whole week. *chuckles* Look, if he wants to pick a fight with me, he's picking a fight with a scrappy guy. He might not like my choice of words on the campaign trail, but his offenses have been far greater. Putting the Pentagon Papers in the public record was a highly reckless decision that put our national security at grave risk. It shows to me that Senator Gravel doesn't have good judgment. Is that the sort of president that Americans want? I don't think so. Politicians like him are exactly the kind that should stay far away from any kind of power, because they'll put this entire country in harm's way.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 07:16:31 PM »

Mayor Yorty will participate in the Democratic primary debate.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2015, 03:38:43 AM »

Yorty Statement on Senator Hayden's Death

"Senator Hayden was one of the greats in the Senate who made his mark and whose impact will be felt for many generations. He will be truly missed."
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2015, 04:21:01 AM »

Sam Yorty Campaign Schedule: January 23-29

January 23
-Town Hall in Epping, NH
-Town Hall in Kingston, NH
-Town Hall in Gilmanton, NH
-Town Hall in Hampstead, NH
-Rally in Concord, NH

Ever heard the expression, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"? Seems an awful lot like what's going on right now. Now you got all these big-wig party leaders running around trying to squash my candidacy. What's been happening, though? I'm still rising in the polls despite everything they're throwing at me! I would say I'm flattered over all the attention I'm getting these days, but it's a complete slap in the face to voters like yourself when guys like Hubert Humphrey want to undermine me just because I don't follow the party orthodoxy on every single issue. I say we should stick a fork in the eyes of those party elitists when the time comes, New Hampshire. Will you stand with me?

January 24
-Town Hall in Window Rock, AZ
-Town Hall in Doney Park, AZ
-Town Hall in Tolleson, AZ
-Rally in Peoria, AZ
-Fundraiser in Buckeye, AZ

The President can try all he wants, but no good peace deal is going to come out of Vietnam. His latest failure shows that much. See, the problem with diplomacy in these cases is that the communists are relentless. Their one goal is to spread their ideology across the globe until we're all cloaked in red. Do you really think that the North Vietnamese are going to stop their aggressions because we made a few pretty promises to them? That's incredibly naοve. We're trying to end a conflict prematurely without even having a clear strategy for the battle, so we're losing our boys and not making any progress either. When I'm President, this nonsense is going to stop. I will get the job done and halt the spread of communism in Asia, and our boys will come back home with honor.

January 25
-Town Hall in Flowing Wells, AZ
-Town Hall in fort Mohave, AZ
-Barnstorming in Bullhead City, AZ
-Barnstorming in Maricopa, AZ
-Barnstorming in Oro Valley, AZ

These hotshots in the Democratic Party want me to shut up and go away because I'm not playing by their rules. You see, they're scared of us. They know that we're able to win and that's a risk to all of their plans. Their man is Muskie, but I bet he'll be faltering pretty soon. All I can say to the snooty elitists is this: I'm not going away, I'm not shutting up, and you can be damn sure that this campaign is going full steam ahead all the way to the convention!

January 26
-Town Hall in Nogales, AZ
-Barnstorming in Sun City, AZ
-Barnstorming in Prescott, AZ
-Barnstorming in Lake Havusu City, AZ
-Fundraiser in Pheonix, AZ

I'll say this loud and clear: Ed Muskie should not be our party's nominee. He has let the party down before and he'll do it again if he's nominated. You look at Muskie's record and he's been both ways on the most important issues. The guy who called me Nixon Lite was a big supporter of going into Vietnam, but he only changed his mind when things got tough and the base turned against him. Do we want someone who bucks under pressure that easily in the White House? Muskie and his kind cannot be trusted. The American people deserve a leader with a backbone and the drive to actually accomplish something as president, not these mushy establishment politicians who care more about just getting elected to the next office. Call me what you want, but I've always been consistent.

January 27
-GOTV in Sierra Vista, AZ
-GOTV in Marana, AZ
-GOTV in Catalina Foothills, AZ
-GOTV in Goodyear, AZ
-GOTV in Avondale, AZ

I have talked a lot about foreign policy and law and order recently, but another part of my platform that is just as important is what to do with the economy. Right now our economy is in shambles, and the Nixon administration sure isn't doing anything to help out struggling Americans. The biggest reform we can make is changing the tax system so that the burden on the middle and working class is significantly less than what it is now. We also need to provide incentives for good-paying jobs here at home in sectors like manufacturing. We can't afford to have more of these plants closed down or never built at all. No other candidate is serious about how to revive this economy, but I pledge to you with all of my heart that I will do everything in my power to protect American interests and bring back prosperity.

January 28
-GOTV in Yuma, AZ
-GOTV in San Tan Valley, AZ
-GOTV in Scottsdale, AZ
-GOTV in Glendale, AZ
-GOTV in Gilbert, AZ

Tomorrow is the day, Arizona. I feel something in the air that can't be ignored. This campaign has been surging here and I see enthusiastic supporters everywhere I look. If you just listen to the talking heads on the evening news, this is supposed to be some horse race between Muskie and Lindsay. That's not what's going to happen, though. I see an army of Americans making their voices heard and voting for an alternative. They're frustrated by our fractured society, flailing economy, and overseas failures. They're gonna shock the establishment and vote for Yorty. This can happen, but only with your help. I need all of you to caucus tomorrow and make sure that your voices are heard in this sea of candidates. Bring your family and friends along, too. Together, we're gonna win this contest and march toward the nomination!

January 29
-GOTV in Chandler, AZ
-GOTV in Mesa, AZ
-GOTV in Tuscon, AZ
-GOTV in Phoenix, AZ
-Election Night Rally in Phoenix, AZ
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2015, 04:37:57 AM »

Sam Yorty Endorsements

Former Governor W. Haydon Burns (D-FL)

Mayor Yorty represents the common-sense wing of our party. He is the best candidate to tackle President Nixon in the general election, and I will do my part to ensure that he wins the Florida primary in March.

January 23-29
-Barnstorming in FL
-Fundraising in FL

Former Governor Otto Kerner, Jr. (D-IL)

There's no disputing that Sam is quite the character. But beyond that, I see all the traits of leadership that a man needs. The country would be much better off if we had someone like him in the White House.

January 23-29
-Barnstorming in IL
-Fundraising in IL

Past Endorsements

John W. King: Barnstorming in NH
Ross Perot: Fundraising in CA
Happy Chandler: Barnstorming in AZ
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2015, 01:57:39 PM »

Sam Yorty GOTV Strategy: Arizona

The Yorty campaign is now actively bringing out voters in Arizona after weeks of organizing in the state. A victory or a strong performance would add continued momentum to Yorty's candidacy heading into New Hampshire. This is how the campaign is handling its GOTV operations:

-Actively seeking out blue collar workers in urban and suburban areas
-Targeting voters in smaller, rural areas ignored by other candidates
-Persuading voters leaning towards Muskie or Lindsay to switch to Yorty, bringing up issues such as Vietnam, law and order, and the economy
-Bringing out disaffected Democrats across the state who normally don't vote
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2015, 01:25:05 PM »

The Yorty campaign will file for the Illinois primary.

Also, Lumine, may we get a week to complete everything instead of five days? I have been traveling since Saturday and have had almost no time for this so far.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 02:11:11 AM »

Sam Yorty Debate Responses

Opening Statement:

My name is Sam Yorty. I have been a mayor for over a decade, turning Los Angeles from a middle-sized metropolis to one of the largest and most prosperous cities in the U.S. My experience shows that I have the management skills to turn this country around where our leaders have failed us time and time again. I speak for the disgruntled and disaffected who haven't had a voice before now. Whatever happens tonight, it should be a lively debate that I look forward to.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Busing has good intentions, but it's clear to me that it's only caused more harm in these communities than good. What have we seen across the country since these policies have been introduced? More friction, less understanding, and no real progress. You have to take big changes like integration one step at a time, and busing is a good example of too much too quickly. I know plenty of people are ready to pounce on me on this, but let's get the facts straight: I am no segregationist like Mr. Wallace. As Mayor of Los Angeles, I was the first mayor in the city's history to have a racially integrated staff. There is a difference between governments integrating and communities integrating, though. It takes time for people as a whole to change their old ways. The government can encourage change by setting a good example for others, but placing these mandates helps no one and hurts their own cause.

First, let's be clear: The law is the law, folks. All of these draft dodgers have broken the law, and they're due for punishment like any other criminal. My opponents who are advocating for some kind of amnesty are plainly saying that they are not taking their own nation's laws seriously. Not only that, but laws about our very own national security can just be overlooked. I can't accept that, and neither can millions of other Americans. As President, I would enforce the laws that we already have in place, and I would issue no  amnesty for those who have evaded the draft.

As for the draft itself, I think it would be foolish for us to scrap it. When we as a country decide to go to war, it should be to protect ourselves and defend what we stand for. The draft is there so that we have the forces necessary to get the job done in times like that. If we switch to a voluntary system for the military, I fear that we won't be nearly as prepared for large threats. Going to war means that we're all in this together, and that there must be a shared sense of responsibility to protect our family, friends, and neighbors. Knowing the value of that responsibiility is good for everyone, especially our young people. That's why we must keep the draft.

I'm not able to make this pledge. While I share disagreements with everyone on this stage, there are a few whom I absolutely cannot support, and that would be Senator McGovern, Senator McCarthy, Senator Gravel, and Senator Harris. I pick them because out of all the candidates, these folks represent the fringes of the Democratic Party that I fear are taking over. They believe that we must pull out from all across the world, leaving the Soviets to fill that vacuum and gain the upper hand. They are weak on social policies and would let the country erupt in flames without lifting a finger. They also promote reckless economics that would make even Richard Nixon blush. If any one of these people are nominated, it will be the death of the Democratic Party as we know it, for they will drive millions of voters away from our side.

Like my fellow Democrats, I want to end this war in Vietnam. Unlike my fellow Democrats, I want to end it through victory, not defeat. I am not one to believe that we're fighting this war for no reason, nor do I believe that all of our soldiers have died in vain. The other candidates have given up and would allow communism to further spread across the world, endangering freedom and democracy wherever it is. That's not something that I'll ever accept. This issue is what drove me to enter the presidential race, because all of my opponents are on the same page when they want to retreat and leave South Vietnam to be engulfed by the North.

No one wants to be bogged down in a long stalemate, so I would approach Vietnam differently than Nixon and his futile peace talks. The key to winning is to hit them hard with a lot of force, fast. As President, I will introduce a large surge of troops in my first month. We will bomb key infrastructures in the North to cripple their ability to fight back, and we will choke them off in Laos to restrict their movement. There will also be a strong effort to empower the South by arming and training citizens. For my critics who call my plans extreme, people forget that President Eisenhower helped to end the Korean War by threatening nuclear weapons. We should not be afraid to use our tremendous strength for good. I will get the job done in Vietnam quickly, destroy communism in Southeast Asia, and have our boys leave with honor. No one else on this stage can claim to do that.

Closing Statement:

I'm called a lot of names, including by my opponents tonight. Saigon Sam. Suitcase Sam. Mad Sam Yorty. Whatever you call me, at least you know where I stand. I speak only the truth on the campaign trail, and the truth that I speak of is the truth that millions of decent, hard-working Americans want to hear from their politicians. The people are angry, frustrated, and exhausted. They know that their leaders have failed them, and they want to head in a new direction. While my opponents want to dismiss me as some extremist, I'm really a moderate, just as most people in this country are. I believe in defending American interests, standing against communism, stopping civil unrest, and living within our means. If you believe in this message, I humbly ask for your vote. Thank you.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 03:26:31 AM »

Sam Yorty Campaign Schedule: January 30-February 14 (Part I)

Ladies and gentlemen, we shocked those uptight Washington stiffs with our showing in Arizona. Not only that, but we made them look like complete fools. These were the guys predicting a nail biter between Muskie and Lindsay. What happened? Muskie embarrassed himself with a fourth place showing, and we firmly came in at second place! *cheers* This just shows our strength, and we can't be stopped. If you think that we'll be going away anytime soon, you don't know what's going to hit you next month!

January 30
-Town Hall in Lutz, FL
-Town Hall in Holiday, FL
-Town Hall in West Pensacola, FL
-Town Hall in Palm Springs, FL
-Town Hall in Bartow, FL

January 31
-Town Hall in Belle Glade, FL
-Town Hall in Marco Island, FL
-Town Hall in Sebastian, FL
-Town Hall in Meadow Woods, FL
-Rally in Boca Raton, FL

Florida, you might have seen Governor Carter call me Saigon Sam and say that the country would be "screwed" with me as president during the debate. He seems to be all over the state these days, but don't let his words fool you. I'll say it simply: the guy is a total lightweight. He jumped into this race not only in his first term as Georgia's governor, but in his first year. He has no accomplishments to speak of, and he's acting like he's qualified for a job like this. Florida, do your part and give Governor Carter the embarrassing showing he deserves.

February 1
-Meet and Greet in Pebble Creek, FL
-Meet and Greet in Medulla, FL
-Meet and Greet in Brooksville, FL
-Meet and Greet in Gateway, FL
-Meet and Greet in Beverly Hills, FL

February 2
-Meet and Greet in Fuller Heights, FL
-Meet and Greet in Sugarmill Woods, FL
-Meet and Greet in Avon Park, FL
-Meet and Greet in Goulds, FL
-Meet and Greet in Miami Shores, FL

February 3
-Meet and Greet in Palatka, FL
-Meet and Greet in Key Largo, FL
-Meet and Greet in Mango, FL
-Town Hall in Jupiter Farms, FL
-Fundraiser in Palm Bay, FL

February 4
-Town Hall in Oviedo, FL
-Town Hall in Winter Haven, FL
-Town Hall in Cooper City, FL
-Roundtable Meeting (Foreign Policy) in Deltona, FL
-Rally in Sunrise, FL

February 5
-Rally in Largo, FL
-Rally in Deerfield Beach, FL
-Rally in Riverview, FL
-Rally in Clearwater, FL
-Fundraiser in Tallahassee, FL

February 6
-Rally in Wellington, FL
-Rally in North Miami, FL
-Rally in Pine Hills, FL
-Fundraiser in Davie, FL
-Opening of new campaign office in Tampa, FL

Again, we see that President Nixon's Vietnamization policy is a complete disaster. He wants a peace agreement, yet he's still bombing Hanoi. This is what I call trying to have it both ways. Unfortunately, Mr. President, you can't have it both ways! If you want to get troops out, then get them out. If you want to win this war, then, by God, put your heart into winning this war! What will it be?

February 7
-Meet and Greet in Deering, NH
-Meet and Greet in Webster, NH
-Meet and Greet in Lyme, NH
-Meet and Greet in Unity, NH
-Meet and Greet in Lincoln, NH

February 8
-Meet and Greet in Jefferson, NH
-Meet and Greet in Washington, NH
-Meet and Greet in Gilsum, NH
-Meet and Greet in Monroe, NH
-Meet and Greet in Columbia, NH

February 9
-Meet and Greet in Acworth, NH
-Meet and Greet in Pittsburg, NH
-Meet and Greet in Lempster, NH
-Roundtable Meeting (Economy) in Salem, NH

It seems to be that economic issues are often overlooked by the other candidates. Foreign policy is important, but the prices of food and gas are of more concern to the average American's everyday life. This rampant inflation that Nixon has presided over has only become worse with his action. He just doesn't understand basic economics since these price controls don't help people in the end. The next president has to return some order back here again, and I've got the plan to bring back a soaring economy.

February 10
-Meet and Greet in Chichester, NH
-Meet and Greet in Dunbarton, NH
-Town Hall in Boscawen, NH
-Town Hall in Northwood, NH
-Voter Registration in Dover, NH

February 11
-Town Hall in Plaistow, NH
-Town Hall in Hollis, NH
-Town Hall in Pembroke, NH
-Town Hall in Meredith, NH
-Rally in Merrimack, NH

February 12
-Town Hall in Hooksett, NH
-Town Hall in Durham, NH
-Town Hall in Somersworth, NH
-Meeting with Democratic Party leaders in Londonderry, NH
-Rally in Concord, NH

February 13
-Town Hall in Exeter, NH
-Rally in Keene, NH
-Rally in Rochester, NH
-Voter Registration in Nashua, NH

February 14
-Town Hall in Ottawa Park, IL
-Town Hall in Deerfield, IL
-Town Hall in Yorkville, IL
-Town Hall in Island Lake, IL
-Opening of new campaign office in Chicago, IL
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 05:14:35 AM »

Sam Yorty Campaign Schedule: February 15-28 (Part II)

February 15
-Town Hall in Bensenville, IL
-Town Hall in Dolton, IL
-Town Hall in Loves Park, IL
-Rally in Elgin, IL
-Fundraiser in Springfield, IL

This China visit is a bad deal. Our president is going to bed with Mao Zedong, a genocidal maniac who has killed off even more people than Stalin ever did! I wish I could say that I trust our president's judgment here, but I don't. A President Yorty would never dare do such a thing and cozy up to communist dictators. Like the Soviets, the Chinese are the same kind of enemy that we are fighting, and opening up relations to them only gives them more leverage in the long term. A country of almost a billion people is not one we should take lightly here, my friends. Let's grow a backbone and make it clear that we will continue to stand up for democracy and capitalism, everything they're revolted by.

February 16
-Town Hall in O'Fallon, IL
-Town Hall in Lake in the Hills, IL
-Town Hall in North Chicago, IL
-Rally in Palatine, IL
-Rally in Peoria, IL

February 17
-Town Hall in Centralia, IL
-Town Hall in Lake Forest, IL
-Rally in Oak Lawn, IL
-Voter Registration in Waukegan, IL
-Voter Registration in Chicago, IL

VOTER: Mayor, at this rate, are you out of step with your party?

YORTY: Quite the opposite, I would say. The Democratic Party is supposed to be the party of the common man. Democrats are supposed to look out for working class people and stand up against elitists of all stripes. That's the reason why I decided to be a Democrat many years ago, and I still believe in that. What I see happening now is the elitists gaining more and more control of the party over time. In particular, I see these limousine liberals prancing around and acting like they're in tune with Middle America when they're so horribly out of touch. I'm running this campaign as a vehicle for the people to rise up and return power back where it rightly belongs. It's a tough game to be doing this, but I'm optimistic that we can make it happen.

February 18
-Town Hall in Niles, IL
-Town Hall in Glen Ellyn, IL
-Rally in Moline, IL
-Rally in Tinley Park, IL
-Rally in Decatur, IL

February 19
-Rally in Berwyn, IL
-Rally in Des Plaines, IL
-Rally in Arlington Heights, IL
-Voter Registration in Rockford, IL
-Voter Registration in Aurora, IL

You look at all of these candidates running around in Illinois and across the country, and, to be frank, they're often stale. They have to rely on a whole team of speechwriters and PR consultants to tailor their images and seem perfect. Anyone with some common sense can see right through that, though. They're not being genuine to the voters. Me, I have never relied on those people for this whole campaign. What you see is what you get, and I'm speaking right from the heart on these issues. Everything I have said has come from myself and not some paid staffer of mine. I think that still means something in this day and age, and based on the results we've been getting so far, I think many people like what they have to hear.

February 20
-Rally in Joilet, IL
-Rally in Naperville, IL
-Rally in Chicago, IL
-Meeting with Mayor Richard Daley in Chicago, IL

February 21
-Town Hall in Five Forks, SC
-Town Hall in James Island, SC
-Town Hall in Sangaree, SC
-Town Hall in Red Bank, SC
-Fundraiser in Charleston, SC

February 22
-Rally in Cape Coral, FL
-Rally in Port St. Lucie, FL
-Rally in Hollywood, FL
-Rally in Hialeah, FL
-Fundraiser in Orlando, FL

Florida, the attacks keep pounding on me from all sides. I've been called a demagogue, Nixon-Lite, Joe McCarthy's reincarnation, and every other nasty remark in the book so far. Some other candidates might have capitulated by this point, but I know this fight is all too important! There's no going back for me, and I'm giving it my all in this campaign. Already we can see the fruits of our labor. We got a strong second-place showing in Arizona that stunned everybody. If you thought that Arizona was it, you're in for a ride, because we'll be strong across the country and we'll win the nomination!

February 23
-Meet and Greet in Freedom, NH
-Meet and Greet in Errol, NH
-Meet and Greet in Waterville Valley, NH
-Meet and Greet in Groton, NH

February 24
-Meet and Greet in Alstead, NH
-Meet and Greet in Wilmot, NH
-Meet and Greet in Center Harbor, NH
-Meet and Greet in Bath, NH
-Meet and Greet in Dummer, NH

February 25
-Meet and Greet in Orange, NH
-Meet and Greet in Chatham, NH
-Meet and Greet in Roxbury, NH
-Meet and Greet in Stark, NH
-Meet and Greet in Hart's Location, NH

February 26
-Meet and Greet in Hebron, NH
-Meet and Greet in Stoddard, NH
-Town Hall in Tamworth, NH
-Rally in Exeter, NH
-Rally in Claremont, NH

I for one am glad to have heard Mayor Lindsay talk about restoring law and order recently. You know what that means, doesn't it? It means that more than ever, our message is resonating! The frontrunners are picking up on how Americans are feeling and they're desperate to keep up with the times. If it wasn't for the action that we have taken over the last month speaking out on these issues, then the other candidates for President would just be ignoring it all. That right there shows you how strong this campaign has become. There isn't a doubt in my mind that we'll continue to gain momentum, in spite of all the attacks hurled at me, and in spite of the hand-wringing from some party bosses. Ladies and gentlemen, we are a force to be reckoned with.

February 27
-Town Hall in New Ipswich, NH
-Town Hall in Littleton, NH
-Town Hall in Rye, NH
-Rally in Bow, NH
-Barnstorming in Franklin, NH

February 28
-Meet and Greet in Danville, NH
-Meet and Greet in Brentwood, NH
-Barnstorming in Swanzey, NH
-Barnstorming in Newmarket, NH
-Barnstorming in Conway, NH
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2015, 01:48:13 AM »

Yorty is Democrats' Best Bet for '72

By William Loeb, Editor-in-Chief of the Manchester Union Leader

While there is a great deal of variety looking at the Democrats running for President this year, it is clear that out of all the choices New Hampshire voters will face, one stands out above all the rest: Los Angeles Mayor Samuel W. Yorty. Yorty, known as the "Maverick Mayor," has been barnstorming the state and putting real dedication towards building up a campaign here like nobody else. That alone is commendable, but his willingness to buck the party line and be outspoken about his views also deserves credit. Yorty is the voice of reason out of the Democrats, and one of the only ones to not be beholden to special interests. Yorty would take a strong stand against communism, restore order here at home, and rein in fiscal irresponsibility. His Democratic opponents, comprised of peaceniks and opportunists, would achieve none of that.

In the end, Mr. Yorty would be the best candidate to take on President Nixon in the general election. Yorty would turn around Nixon's so-called "Silent Majority," which propelled him to victory four years ago, and use it against him. The Nixon record as we have seen is a stalemate in Vietnam, continued social instability, and a turbulent economy, leaving the president with little to run on this time. For New Hampshire Democrats who want the country back on a better path, voting for Sam Yorty on March 7 is the only sensible thing to do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies