Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:55:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)  (Read 108596 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« on: July 27, 2015, 10:50:53 PM »

Congresswoman Chisholm enters Democratic race bringing race and gender to the forefront

January 2, 1972 - New York City, New York

Where does this nation stand just three years into the Nixon Administration? Just two years into this decade?  We are more divided, more separated, than ever before.  In three short years, President Nixon has succeeded in pitting white against black, young against old, north against south, those living in poverty and those enjoying the fruits of success, labor against employer, and American against American.

In this three wasted years we have seen needles conflict and fear sprouting from the highest office in the land.  America does not need divisiveness and fear - America needs unity and hope.  We must have a leader who has an interest in bringing Americans together, and not a vested interest in driving them apart.

We must show that America is a nation where anyone can achieve the fulfillment of their dreams and aspirations.  Including a black woman seeking the Presidency of the United States.

I want a president for all of America; I want a president that understands our youth population when they seek to have their opinions treated with respect and attention; I want a president that knows the plight of people of color fighting for their economic survival because she has lived it herself; I want a president who understands the value and indisputable role of women in the political sphere as equal to a man.

Together we can elect a president that deserves the great honor of representing the American people at home and abroad.  I wish to be that person, and our movement can achieve that together!

Congresswoman Chisholm will file to contest the Iowa caucus and the New Hampshire and Florida primaries.

January 3
Fly to Miami, Florida
Rally in Miami
Open Florida Headquarters

January 4
Speech at student rally at the University of Miami
Fly to St. Petersburg

January 5
Campaign rally in St. Petersburg

January 6
Fly to Tallahassee
Fundraiser in Tallahassee
Fly to Des Moines, Iowa

January 7
Rally in Des Moines
Rally in Cedar Rapids

January 8
Rally in Davenport

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 08:14:55 PM »

Chisholm Picks Up Congressional Black Caucus Endorsement!

January 10
All members of the Congressional Black Caucus issued a joint endorsement today of Congresswoman Shirley Chisholm for President of the United States.  Founded two years ago, with Chisholm as a founding member, the CBC stated that:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ms. Chisholm welcomed the CBC's endorsement and will be seeking to jointly campaign with their members in their respective states.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 09:56:58 PM »

"I am the candidate for all women in America!"

January 9
Fundraiser with Charlie Rangel in New York City

January 10
Fundraiser with Walter Fauntroy in Washington, DC.

January 11
Congresswoman Chisholm flew to Des Moines, Iowa, to give a speech addressing women's rights issues:
I am the candidate for all women in America!  Unlike the other candidates in this race I do not need to spend millions of dollars on study groups to see what women want to hear in this campaign.  I know what women want to hear, because I have been fighting for them for twenty years!  Women want equal pay for equal work, more employment opportunities, equality with men in the public and political sphere, and yes, an Equal Rights Amendment to enshrine our inalienable rights in the Constitution!

Fundraiser in Des Moines

January 12
Delivers Anti-war speech in Cedar Rapids

January 13
Speech on income inequality in Manchester, New Hampshire
Fundraiser with local women's organization

January 14
Speech on housing in Nashua, New Hampshire

January 15
Speech at the Massachuetts Rad/Lib Caucus:
This war has not only failed America internationally by isolating us from our allies and eroding our influence in diplomatic negotiations, it has nearly fatally wounded trust in our leaders and our political system.  In 1968, Richard Nixon was elected by the American people on a pledge of "peace with honor."  We must ask him now loudly and forcefully, where is the peace?  Where is the honor?

This war has eroded confidence in our political system and eroded confidence in America with the American people.  How much longer can this be allowed to continue?  How many more of our young generation have to die in a fruitless effort to deliver an outcome in which no one believes? 

The American people are demanding so much more than these empty promises that have isolated so many of our communities and destroyed so many of our families.  We can have a president who doesn't fool the American people, we can have a president who delivers peace, we can have a president who restores honor to the reputation of our nation, we can have a president who is worthy of the office and worthy of representing our country. 

I will be that president!
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 11:17:52 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2015, 12:43:04 AM by Barnes »

Chisholm rakes in major feminist joint endorsements!

January 13

At a fundraiser in Manchester, New Hampshire, Shirley Chisholm was jointly endorsed by leading feminists including Congresswoman Bella Abzug, Gloria Steinem, the National Women's Political Caucus, and the National Organization for Women.

Speaking at the fundraiser, Ms. Chisholm stated:
Women have been at the heart of America and driving this country forward from the first shots of the Revolutionary War.  Our grandmothers fought relentlessly for suffrage in the 19th century, our mothers saw the eventual fruits of their labor with the 19th Amendment and then entered the work force during the Second World War with vigor and passion.  We have a duty to uphold their dreams and their achievements.  

The goals of the national, and international, women's movement is so much greater than petty partisan labels.  Fundamentally, it is so we can tell our daughters and granddaughters that we did everything we possibly could to make them equal citizens in a country that they helped build and make great, that we did all we could to ensure they could aspire to any role in society without any regard to their sex, and that they could be secure in the knowledge that the country in which they were born was one rooted in the belief that all women and men are created equal!
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 08:42:18 PM »

Terribly sorry but I'm going to have to withdraw from the game.

Shirley Chisholm withdraws and endorses George McGovern.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 09:12:58 PM »

(OOC: My previous character, Shirley Chisholm, remains fully committed to McGovern.)

JACKSON ENTERS DEMOCRATIC RACE BEFORE FIFTH BALLOT!

Miami Beach -- Washington Senator Henry "Scoop" Jackson announced an insurgent campaign for the deadlocked Democratic Nomination before the fifth ballot.

Speaking at a press conference outside of the Miami Beach Convention Center, Senator Jackson's comments were as follows:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 12:47:34 AM »

Jackson speech to delegates and supporters outside of the convention hall.

Mayor Yorty has shown his inability to bring this party together.  By his backroom dealing, he has tarnished his own message of being a candidate to restore order to America.  This convention cannot become so divided as to let Mayor Yorty become our standard bearer through the back door.

We must nominate a candidate who can unite this party as well as unite this country.  We have to be frank with ourselves: this convention is about finding a candidate who can lead our party and defeat Richard Nixon.  Any claim that Mayor Yorty had to that title has now be totally tarnished. 

In order to lead the war in Vietnam and restore America's moral leadership at both home and abroad, we need a candidate and a President who can command the trust and faith of Americans, and Mayor Yorty has shown himself to not be that candidate.

Our candidate needs to be a man who is dedicated to the Democratic Party in good times and in bad, through our many campaigns.  We do not need a latter-day Democrat as our nominee.

Our candidate needs to be a man that has an unwavering commitment to labor and the rights of unions.  We must have a champion for the rights of working class Americans in the White House.

Our candidate needs to be a man with a heart planted firmly in what is best about the Democratic Party: our compassion and our strength.  Our compassion for the poor, the young, the old, and the sick; our strength in foreign affairs and in economic leadership.  We will show our leadership in our ability to care for our citizens at home and fight for our vision abroad.

It is time for this convention to unite around a candidate that can bring our party together, and that starts with you!  Thank you!
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 09:20:05 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2015, 09:47:40 PM by Barnes »

I would like to congratulate our nominee, Senator Muskie, and offer him my enthusiastic and unequivocal support in the race that is now before us.

At this historic convention, the culmination of a truly historic primary process, the Democratic Party has shown itself to be a paragon of debate and democratic principles.  We are not afraid to air our differences in public and we are not afraid to stand up for our beliefs.

It is crucial for us to now lead a united party towards victory this fall.  We have a nominee whose leadership, intelligence, compassion, and competence are well known and with him as our President, this country will once again be on the path of progress.

I would like to thank all of my supporters on this ballot for rallying to me in difficult circumstances.  I encourage you all to take your energy back to your homes and use it for the Democratic ticket this fall.

Thank you all!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies