Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:12:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)  (Read 108610 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« on: October 10, 2015, 10:13:08 PM »

Statement from Senator Birch Bayh

I am becoming increasingly alarmed by the decorum displayed by my friends currently seeking the Democratic nomination. After four rough years under President Richard Nixon, it was my hope that this primary would provide Democratic voters with fresh, optimistic perspectives on how to advance our nation. Instead we have seen more of the partisan, petty politics that has plagued Washington D.C.

As Democrats, it is absolutely essential that our party unites in the coming weeks behind one nominee, one ticket that can defeat President Nixon in November. I urge the candidates in this race to recommit themselves to their reasonings for originally entering the race - we cannot afford four more years of a Republican administration. Leave out the attacks, and instead prove to voters why your ideas are the best to lead our party into the White House. A united Democratic Party is necessary for victory in November, and I pray that Democrats can unify as quickly as possible, whether unification comes through one of the candidates in the field or an alternate route.

May God bless the Democratic Party and the United States.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 11:55:22 AM »

Senator Birch Bayh is in attendance at the convention and has met privately with a multitude of delegates who are unplugged, from the Midwest and lean to the left.

The Democratic Party is fractured - I think we all know that. Mayor Yorty is somewhat close to the nomination, but this has been an incredibly divisive primary, and I don't have full confidence that he will be able to unite the party.

I know I wasn't a candidate - outside of maybe some write-in votes in Indiana, I didn't get a single vote or delegate in this primary, and I haven't had the opportunity to interact with as many voters as some of the candidates. We have to look to the future, and we need a candidate who can be a unifier - a candidate this party can rally around as we face off against President Nixon in the General Election.

I think I may be able to be that candidate. If no one attains enough delegates on the first ballot, things are going to be wide open. Vote for someone who can unify this party, not someone who has been engaging in divisive, partisan politics for the duration of this campaign. I humbly ask for your support.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 04:30:56 PM »

Supporters of Indiana Senator Birch Bayh have begun distributing the following flier around the DNC. His supporters are looking to build a strong coalition among progressives, women and younger delegates. If Bayh can survive the first few ballots, his supporters are confident he will be able to gain the traction necessary to win the Democratic nomination.

Draft Bayh!
End the gridlock and unite!

The Democratic Party is fractured. We need a nominee who can unify this party and unify our divided nation. Indiana Senator Birch Bayh is a leader who will get the job done.

What has Bayh done? Bayh introduced constitutional amendments to clarify line of secession and lowering the voting age, enfranchising millions of voters. He has been a champion for women's rights, being a strong supporter of the Equal Rights Amendment and the "Father of Title IX."

Birch Bayh knows how to get things done in Washington D.C. He has the leadership and experience we need in our nominee. This is our chance. This is our opportunity. Vote for the candidate you know is right - vote Birch Bayh!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 10:03:06 PM »

Birch Bayh for President: Unite and Lead

Good evening.

I will cut right to the chase: I am announcing my official candidacy for the Democratic nomination. This was not something I had originally planned, but I love this party and I love my country.

I have previously mentioned my concerns with the way the primary race was developing, and it only grew worse as time went on. Senator McGovern and Mayor Yorty have both made a series of divisive comments that have only further divided this party. I cannot sit on the sidelines anymore and continue to watch this drama unfold.

The Democratic Party needs a nominee who can unite the party - I wasn't a candidate during the primary season, as Mayor Yorty will point out in his typical divisive nature. I know that Americans are hurting. The Nixon Administration has harmed countless working families across the nation and Americans want a president who can lead this country in a positive direction for the next four years. What the American people don't want is four more years of politics as usual, leaders who care more about winning the next election than they do actually serving the interests of the people.

I'm a reformer - I have a record of getting things done. I was a key advocate of enfranchising millions of Americans by fighting to lower the voting age to 18. I have been a constant advocate for Title IX in higher education. I have been a champion for the Equal Rights Amendment. I will take up the fight for ALL Americans, be a champion for the middle class and provide a voice for those without one.

As your nominee, I will unite the Democratic Party. I will build a winning coalition to defeat President Nixon in November. I will restore hope in the hearts of millions of Americans. Together, united, we can. Thank you, and God Bless!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 08:44:26 PM »

Birch Bayh Press Conference

Senator Bayh, speaking to reporters outside of the convention center

Good evening, thank you all for being here. We are incredibly grateful for the support we have received so far, and it is clear that the momentum is on our side. While other candidates have fallen, we are continuing to assert ourselves as the campaign that can unite the Democratic Party and defeat President Nixon in November.

We have rented an office nearby in Miami for us to base operations out of, and a staff has been put in place to contact delegates and also begin reaching out to various state party's. With the outpouring of support has become the necessary funds to maintain this office and also begin building organization across the nation, so that the moment I am nominated, we can immediately hit the ground running and take our message across America.

We gained more delegates last round than any other candidate, and I believe that will continue. We will continue reaching out to delegates and will prove why I am the best candidate to lead this party into the General Election. I will now open up to questions from the press.

Reporter: Senator, you weren't part of the campaign, how can voters expect you to know what issues they care about?
Look, I don't think you have to go to every corner of the country to know that Americans are hurting. Richard Nixon's economic and foreign policy decisions have sent this country backward, we haven't had strong leadership in the White House. Americans are tired of politics as usual - they want a change. I've had conversations with countless Americans who have expressed their concerns. As your nominee, I will continue to have those conversations and offer solutions. As your president, I will implement those solutions and put our country back on track.

Reporter: Sam Yorty is reportedly being drug through the mud by his opponents. What do you make of that?
Mayor Yorty has been unleashing countless attacks on his opponents for months and is part of the problem as to why this convention is so divided - delegates, Democrats...Americans are tired of this partisanship. You know, I think there are reasons to be concerned with a Yorty candidacy. I don't think he has the progressive credentials other candidates do, heck, he endorsed Nixon back in 1960. But I think some of the names people have called him...they're taking it too far. Let's keep it respectful, these type of comments only further divide the party. We should be having a conversation on how we can best unite and move forward. Period.

Reporter: Senator, do you think it is necessary to align with other candidates to win?
It may be, time will tell. I've had conversations with other candidates, I think they are all respectable men who I like a lot. This is a conversation about how we can unite as a party, so I would say it is necessary to talk with other candidates about how we can ultimately unite. I think I'm the best candidate to do that, and I hope together we can unite and defeat Nixon in November. Look, these candidates have been attacking each other for months. That's not who we should be focused on - this is about ensuring we don't have four more years of President Nixon and offering a positive, new vision for America.

Thank you for your questions.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 11:05:55 PM »

Statement from the Bayh Campaign:
We thank Florida Senator George Smathers for his endorsement. Senator Smathers is a good man who I learned a lot from during our time together in the United States Senate. He's a leader, someone who brings people together, who believes in unity, not division. Together, we will win this convention and bring a stronger, more unified Democratic Party.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 05:01:24 PM »

Bayh for President: Radio Advertisement

Substitute '76 with '72

The Bayh Campaign has released the following radio advertisement, which is set to run exclusively in Miami-Dade County until the end of the DNC.

Announcer: Birch Bayh, Senator from Indiana. Birch Bayh is a problem-solver. Birch Bayh is a champion of the middle-class and a progressive leader in the Senate. As President, Birch Bayh will unite our country and lead us into a time of hope and prosperity.

Delegates: Vote for Birch Bayh to be the Democratic Nominee and our next President.

Birch Bayh: I'm Birch Bayh, and I approve this message.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 06:35:12 PM »

Governor Smith: Bayh is the Answer

South Carolina Governor John C. West endorses Bayh for President

Our party has become more divided now than ever before. Disgusting smear campaigning is happening on the convention floor and candidates are attempting to make backroom deals and spread lies about their opponents. I've had enough. Other delegates have had enough. The American people have had enough.

This cannot go on much longer - our party is on track to create irreversible damage and hand another four years to Richard Nixon. Our country simply cannot afford that. It is time for our party to unite, it is time for our party to rally around one candidate.

Senator Birch Bayh has presented himself as a compromise candidate in this election. I have full confidence that he will make a terrific nominee and an even better president. At this point, I urge South Carolina delegates to cast their vote for Senator Bayh. I urge all delegates, regardless of where you may come from, to join me in uniting behind a man that is a leader and a reformer. A man with strong progressive values and will fight for all Americans. Under a President Birch Bayh, not only will the Democratic Party unite, but America will unite.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 07:43:37 PM »

Birch Bayh Addresses DNC Convention

Good Evening,

Delegates, it is an honor and a privilege to address you this evening.

Our party faces uncertain times. After a tumultuous campaign season, we arrived in Miami, gridlocked and divided. As the convention has progressed, that division has only grown, with candidates slinging mud and doing whatever they deem necessary to secure the nomination.

It is these actions, and the barrage of negative campaigning we saw over the last few months, that lead to me to this stage, to this moment, to address you all as a candidate for the Democratic nomination for President of the United States.

I was born in Terre Haute, Indiana, the son of a teacher and a basketball coach. I served in the military from 1946-48, and in 1952, met the love of my life, Marvella. We have one son, Evan, who is here with us tonight.

I began my career in public service at a young age, and for the past 10 years, I have had the privilege and honor of representing the Hoosier State in the United States Senate. I've never seen public service as a career, rather, an opportunity to better our communities, our states and our nation.

Within the United States Senate, I've been a champion for progressive values. I've had the opportunity to author two constitutional amendments, one that created a firm line of presidential succession and one to lower the voting age to 18, enfranchising millions of adults the opportunity to have a voice in the future of our nation.

I have been a champion in the senate for women's rights in the Senate, working with my good friend Teddy Kennedy, along with other senators, in authoring the Equal Rights Amendment. I also led the charge in establishing Title IX legislation. No other candidate has fought harder at ensuring that every American, regardless of gender, is given equal opportunities!

In the Senate, I have moved legislation through and gotten things done. Americans are tired of corrupt politicians who don't follow through on their campaign promises. As a senator, I have done what I set out to do, and as your president, we will restore America's promise!

Other candidates have focused their campaigns on each other, dividing the Democratic Party and furthering the liklihood of four more years of President Nixon. I'm not going to do that. I'm not going to focus on President Nixon - we all know that his policies have damaged our nation on all fronts. I'm not going to talk about my opponents at this convention, because while we have our differences, anyone at this convention would make a better president than the one we currently have.

I'm going to focus this campaign on you, the American people. Those who don't care about the party politics, just want a president who will be their champion. I will be that champion. I will be the champion of our brave soldiers abroad, those who need a president with solutions, not a continued lack of leadership. I will be a champion for the working class, those who continue to pay too much in taxes and get too little in return. Those who work hard each week only to make a meager wage - it's time to raise the minimum wage!

Democrats, delegates, we have an opportunity. An opportunity to reject the partisanship and drama that has plagued our party through the course of this primary process. An opportunity to unite as a party, focused and ready on ensuring that President Richard Nixon is a one-term president!

I believe in America. I believe in you. I present myself as a compromise candidate, a candidate of the convention, because I believe...I know, that together, we will unite this party, win this November and unleash the dreams of so many Americans! Tonight I humbly ask for your support and your vote. Thank you, God Bless all of you, and God Bless this great nation!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 07:48:18 PM »

This is very exciting! Smiley Excellent job to everyone!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 10:20:09 PM »

Wow, what a night! You know, when I announced my campaign just a few days ago, people said we couldn't do it. Hour by hour, day by day, we are proving them wrong. At this point, momentum is on our side, and I truly believe when it is all said and done, I will be the consensus candidate that will unite all sides. Our campaign will continue to press on until we receive the support of at least 1517 delegates at this convention. I now open the floor to questions.

Reporter: Senator Bayh, Mayor Yorty is getting closer and closer to clinching the nomination. How do you plan to stop him?
Mayor Forty did well on the third ballot because delegates are getting tired of the petty and dirty politics we are seeing. Mayor Yorty received the brunt of those attacks, which has caused his delegates to rally behind him. I'll be honest, it is satisfying to see that there is some backlash to the negativity, because as I have been saying since day one, we need to be doing more to unite this party, rather than divide it.

Now, in terms of how I'm going to beat Mayor Yorty - look, he's a good guy, but we have to look at who can win. First, I stand by my record in the United States Senate - I have been a vocal fighter for progressive values while also having the ability to work with various members of the party, heck, even across party lines, to get things done. I think my record, what I stand for, is going to translate very well with General Election. When you look at Mayor Yorty, he is trailing President Nixon by 11 points. We have a couple strong candidates in this race, and I would like to think I am in that category. It would be a grave mistake for us to select a candidate who is down big to President Nixon.

Reporter: But Senator, you don't have polling numbers to back up your strength. Why would you be such a good candidate?
You know, I'm the type of person who can get things done. A lot of folks don't know me yet, but I know that Americans have a desire for a leader who will talk to them straight and get things done. I have a proven record of doing just that. Mayor Yorty, once again, I respect the guy, but voters know him, they know him very well. And he's trailing by double-digits - I would support him if he wins our nomination, but I have serious concerns about whether or not he can turn the tides. Regardless, something I want to continue to stress, regardless of who our nominee ends up being, our party has to unite for the General Election. It is absolutely important that Richard Nixon is not re-elected as President.

Reporter: Senator, what do you make of the fights that have been happening on the convention floor?
I'm tired of it. There is intra-party fighting happening left and right. All the candidates seem to be at each others throats now. I'm sure that President Nixon is off somewhere laughing and smiling at the level of chaos occurring at our convention. Going forward, I have made one thing abundantly clear with my staffers - we aren't going to get personal. You know, I think there are contrasts between the candidates that need to be brought up, but we are going to stay above the fighting and personal attacks. I think all of them - Sam, Ed, George, Fred, Morris...they're all great guys and would make fine presidents. But at this point, we need to figure out how we can unite as a party, and I am presenting myself as a candidate because I believe I am the one who can best unite us heading into the general election.

Reporter: What are your thoughts on reports that Udall and Yorty will run on a ticket together?
I'll leave it to the pundits to speculate. Right now I am focused on speaking with as many delegates and party leaders as possible and prove to them why I am the best candidate to lead our party into the general election.

Reporter: Senator, last question: Why should delegates vote for you?
You know, at this point, our party needs a compromise candidate. Someone who can unite all factions and regions of the party. Someone who can win. I believed several days ago when I announced my candidacy that I am that candidate, and I still believe so today. Together we will unite this party, heal our wombs, and defeat President Nixon in November. Thank you everyone, have a great evening!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 02:51:22 PM »

Statement from Birch Bayh
Senator Fred Harris represents the best of America - Fred truly exhibits the characteristics of what a public servant should look like. He has been a champion for the working class and ran an honorable campaign. I have enjoyed working with him in the United States Senate and look forward to continue working with him as our party unites to ensure that Richard Nixon is a one-term president.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 03:07:45 PM »

OOC: It is hard to say you didn't agree to this beforehand when you're literally quoting a PM he sent you with the text.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 04:16:15 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2015, 04:17:50 PM by All In For The Royals »

The next ballot is expected to happen any time. I want to thank everyone for their continued support. At this point, it is becoming increasingly important that the Democratic Party quickly unites to defeat President Nixon in November. I remain committed to our efforts - we have the momentum, as more and more delegates are joining our side to try and find consensus at the convention.

Reporter: Senator Bayh, Mayor Yorty is arguing that you're untested. What do you make of that?
Mayor Yorty continues to run a divisive campaign - his strategy for winning this convention is to cut backroom deals and tear down his opponent. I'm tested because in contrast of the Mayor's conservative tendencies, particularly his endorsement of President Nixon, I've been a champion for progressive values in the Senate for years. On day one I will be ready to fight for all Americans, and that above all else is what is needed in our next president, not another power-grabbing politician. Sam Yorty claims to be a maverick and an outsider, yet he's the one in backrooms of the convention cutting deals and promising the Vice Presidency to the highest bidder. I won't stand for it.

Reporter: Would you say Mayor Yorty is the man to beat for the nomination?
In terms of delegate count? Sure. But one thing I'm gathering from this convention is that there are serious concerns with Mayor Yorty's electability and his seemingly lack of desire to bring about party unity. It's not just coming from certain delegations or candidates - it is across the board. If he can't unite everyone here at the convention, how does he expect to unite our country?

Reporter: Senator, what has been your strategy this round?
I believe in retail politics. Sure, we've run newspaper and radio advertisements touting our candidacy, but this election is about improving the lives of a wide spectrum of Americans. I'm going to win this nomination, and the White House, because here in Miami and across the nation, I'm ready to talk to folks, hear their problems, and work to find solutions. We need a president who will come to the table with solutions, not more politics as usual.

Thank you for your questions.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 06:39:34 PM »

Birch Bayh Addresses DNC Convention

Good Evening,

It has been a privilege to get to know so many of you over the past few days. The level of kindness so many of you showed is something my family will never forget.

Our party remains divided as uncertainty looms in the days ahead. I have said that the importance of this election isn't the promotion of a certain candidate, rather, the promotion of the Democratic Party and the ideas and values we stand for.

Looking ahead, our party must begin to rally behind a nominee. A nominee that is a champion of progressive values, a champion of the working class, a champion of the many Americans struggling paycheck to paycheck under the perils of the Nixon economy.

We need a nominee who can unite the Democratic Party. A nominee who stands with conviction and has strong morals. A nominee who will defeat President Nixon in November.

Throughout this convention I have been able to have conversations with all of the remaining candidates, including frontrunners Ed Muskie and Sam Yorty. I've paid attention to their behavior, listened to their speeches, and had meaningful dialogues about the future of this party and this nation.

With everything in mind, it is important that now, more than ever, we unite as a party. And because of this, I am announcing this evening that I am formally ending my bid for the Democratic nomination and endorsing the man who will be our next nominee and the next President of the United States, Ed Muskie!

I urge all delegates, regardless of who you previously supported, to unite behind a man that is a fighter. A man with strong principles and convictions. A man ready to lead. At this point, we cannot risk the effects of a Sam Yorty nomination - Americans are tired of politics as usual, and by selling away the Vice Presidential slot to the highest bidder, Congressman Udall, Mayor Yorty showed his true colors. I don't like the idea of our next Vice President being selected in the backrooms of the DNC and neither should you! I have reached out to delegates who have previously supported me and strongly encouraged them to vote for Senator Muskie on the fifth ballot.

Together we will come together as a party, stronger than ever, and head into the general election ready to make President Richard Nixon a one-term president! And we will do so under the bold, courageous leadership of Senator Ed Muskie!

Thank you, God Bless all of you, and God Bless America!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 09:41:59 PM »

Statement from Birch Bayh

I would like to offer my congratulations to Senator Muskie. I have absolute confidence that he will be able to unite the Democratic Party and lead us to victory in November. I have always respected Mayor Yorty, I just do not believe he is the best candidate to unite our party and win in November. Mayor Yorty has constantly rebuffed statements that he doesn't care about party unity - now it is time for him to put his words into action. I call on him to end the walkout and endorse Senator Muskie so that together, we can ensure President Nixon is a one-term president!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 11:23:49 PM »

@BirchBayh: Concerns were expressed during the campaign over how loyal Yorty was to the Democratic Party. Tonight he proved why he would have made a terrible nominee - his only loyalty is to himself.

(Twitter, you say? Bayh is a man ahead of the times Wink)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 10:51:24 PM »

Birch Bayh Accepts the Democratic Vice Presidential Nomination

Good Evening, delegates, Democrats...my fellow Americans.

Tonight, I am humbled and honored to accept the Democratic nomination for Vice President of the United States.

Tonight, I pledge to you: for every American trying to do the right thing, struggling to make ends meet under the perils of the Nixon economy and uncertainty oversees...Ed Muskie and I are here to fight for you, to fight for the American dream, to fight for a better tomorrow.

Several days ago, we arrived in Miami, gridlocked and divided. Tonight we stand united and focused, committed to spread our message to the American people of hope, prosperity and strong leadership. It is an honor to do so alongside Senator Ed Muskie, the next President of the United States!

During my time in Washington, I've never seen a time when Washington has watched so many hard-working Americans get knocked down and not do anything to help them back on their feet. When I speak with families in my home state of Indiana, I hear the struggles so many families are having, the difficult conversations happening around kitchen tables throughout our nations.

Americans need a champion in the White House. Americans need a president who believes in opportunity and a positive vision for America, not a president who operates in crisis-management without a strong vision for our future.

I believe in America. I believe in the American people. And I believe that Senator Ed Muskie is the man who will right this ship and bring a new era of leadership in Washington.

Senator Muskie and I have been champions in Congress for the American worker, for our youth, for our minority populations who have not had their voice heard. We need a president who will be a champion for ALL Americans. Americans are tired of talking-points and speeches with no meaning. Americans are ready for a team that gets things done, that will fight for them every day. That is what Senator Muskie and I will fight for every day!

This campaign is going to focus on you, the American people. Those who don't care about the party politics, just want a president who will be their champion. Senator Muskie will be that champion. Senator Muskie will be the champion of our brave soldiers abroad, those who need a president with solutions, not a continued lack of leadership. Senator Muskie will be a champion for the working class, those who continue to pay too much in taxes and get too little in return.

My fellow Americans, we have an opportunity to reject the partisanship and drama that has plagued our party through the course of this primary process. An opportunity to unite as a party, focused and ready on ensuring that President Richard Nixon is a one-term president!

I believe in America. I believe in you. I believe...I know, that together, we will unite this party, win this November and unleash the dreams of so many Americans! Tonight I humbly ask for your support and your vote for the ticket of Ed Muskie and Birch Bayh. Thank you, God Bless all of you, and God Bless this great nation!

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2015, 05:21:59 PM »

Glad to have you back! Smiley
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 08:54:43 PM »

I am afraid I do not have the time available that I did last fall. I will be cheering from the sidelines. Best of luck to everyone. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies