Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:12:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)  (Read 108636 times)
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« on: August 23, 2015, 03:17:40 PM »

Actually, we will have to extend this until tomorrow night (perhaps one more day if people still need time), there are some endorsement requests I have to answer to and other matters to attend.

Regarding Nixon, I am making up my mind. We could either have another player take him, or, for extra insanity, I could have him assassinated by Arthur Bremer and leave the GOP wide open for new candidates, like Vice-President Agnew and so on.

I'd love to be Nixon if you would let me. Thanks! Smiley
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 03:23:15 PM »

Actually, we will have to extend this until tomorrow night (perhaps one more day if people still need time), there are some endorsement requests I have to answer to and other matters to attend.

Regarding Nixon, I am making up my mind. We could either have another player take him, or, for extra insanity, I could have him assassinated by Arthur Bremer and leave the GOP wide open for new candidates, like Vice-President Agnew and so on.

I'd love to be Nixon if you would let me. Thanks! Smiley

Problem solved, then! I find it really sad to see ChairmanSanchez leave as he is a very good player, but I'm happy to welcome you as Nixon. I'll PM you later to inform you of some special gameplay involving the President.

Thanks! Tomorrow is my first day at a new school and I'll be pretty busy, but I hope I'll be able to get the hang of it eventually. Cheesy
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 04:46:35 PM »

Tomorrow night it is. It could have been tonight, but I would rather leave the Nixon player enough time to prepare.

Thanks! I appreciate it.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 11:59:37 PM »

The Nixon Campaign - March 8 to March 14, 1972

President Nixon meets with enthusiastic supporters at a campaign rally in Jacksonville, Florida

March 8, 1972:

- President Nixon stays in Washington, D.C. to talk with Congress and fulfill his presidential duties.

March 9, 1972:

- President Nixon delivers an economic policy speech at a large rally in Pensacola, Florida.

"Almost four years ago, the American people elected me to be President of the United States. At that time, I promised to save our nation's economy, and I fulfilled that promise to the best of my ability during my first term in office. Under the Nixon Administration, I signed into law the Economic Stabilization Act, a comprehensive bill that protected and will continue to protect America's economic prosperity by assuring our nation's people that the necessary price and wage controls have been put into place. Inflation was at 4.4% when I came into office; it's at merely 3.5% now and under another Nixon term, I'll do everything in my power to make sure that the rate continues to fall and that each and every American citizen is able to walk home from work every day with a few more dollars in their wallets. During a second term, I will work as hard as I can to improve our nation's economy, and I will make sure that average hardworking Americans, not just the millionaires and billionaires at the top, receive the economic benefits that will be planned and pursued extensively by the Nixon Administration."

- President Nixon speaks at Fort Walton Beach, Florida about the nations' efforts and goals in Vietnam.
- President Nixon barnstorms in Panama City, Florida.
- President Nixon gives a speech in Bristol, Florida and promises his supporters that under a second Nixon term, the war in Vietnam will come to a close.
- President Nixon has an intimate moment with his wife at a hotel in Bristol, Florida.

March 10, 1972:

- President Nixon barnstorms in Jacksonville, Florida.
- President Nixon delivers a Vietnam War speech in Jacksonville, Florida.

"In the year 1965, American active combat units landed in Vietnam for the first time. At the time, I'll admit, going into Vietnam seemed like a good idea. We could halt the spread of Communism and make sure that the USSR didn't take hold anywhere else on the globe. But boy, things didn't work out how we thought they would. Under President Johnson's disastrous handling of the Vietnam situation, the number of American troops and the number of American casualties escalated at an unbelievably fast pace; we weren't gaining any ground and President Johnson's strategy was proving to be ineffective. We should've realized it a long time ago, but we need to get out of Vietnam. We need to stop the causalities - we need to make sure that from this day forward, no American ever again has to face the prospect of losing a father, uncle, son, or brother to war. We need to withdraw.  If elected to a second term in office, I will slowly and safely withdraw all American troops from the nation of Vietnam through achieving 'peace with honor', and I will make sure that the war takes no more of a toll upon the American people than it already has. Under the Nixon Administration, we will make the Vietnam War a thing of the past, and we will assure Americans across the nation that never again will we make the same dastardly mistake that we did in 1965."

- President Nixon barnstorms in Gainesville, Florida.
- President Nixon delivers a speech in Gainesville, Florida.
- President Nixon has an unconventional dinner of pancakes and bacon with supporters in Gainesville, Florida.

March 11, 1972:

- President Nixon holds a rally in Tallahassee, Florida.
- President Nixon holds a bipartisan meeting with Florida Governor Reubin Askew in Tallahassee, Florida.
- President Nixon has lunch with supporters in Ocala, Florida.
- President Nixon has an afternoon snack with supporters in Orlando, Florida.
- President Nixon has dinner with supporters in Daytona Beach, Florida.
- President Nixon has a late-night munch with supporters in Melbourne, Florida.

March 12, 1972:

- President Nixon holds a rally in Tampa, Florida.
- President Nixon is interviewed by newscaster Sam Donaldson in Tampa, Florida.

Donaldson: "Hello, President Nixon! How are you doing today?"
Nixon: "I'm doing great, Mr. Donaldson. I'm always doing great when I know the people of America are doing great and I know that the people of America are doing great today."
Donaldson: "How do you know that, President Nixon?"
Nixon: "Because the people of America are excited for the 1972 election and are eager to get to know their candidates."
Donaldson: "That's right, President Nixon. Who are you endorsing this election?"
Nixon: "President Nixon."

- President Nixon hosts a rally in Sarasota, Florida.
- President Nixon hosts a dinner in St. Petersburg, Florida.

March 13, 1972:

- President Nixon holds a rally in Miami, Florida.
- President Nixon barnstorms in Fort Myers, Florida.
- President Nixon barnstorms in Key West, Florida.
- President Nixon makes a foreign policy speech in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

"Throughout our nation's history, America has been threatened by a variety of enemies that have tried to annihilate our nation, our people, and our way of life. From Nazi Germany to Imperial Japan to North Korea, our nation has faced countless threats, but always we have prevailed. In today's world, America is being threatened by an enemy probably worse than any other we've ever seen - the Soviet Union. Never before has an enemy nation had the access to nuclear weapons; never before has an enemy nation been so determined to implant a radical and dangerous ideology into the minds of the American people; never before has our nation been at such a risk. But we can prevail. With the right strategies and tools, we will defeat the Soviet Union, and America will be safe once more. We will end the war in Vietnam, we will prevent any more wars caused by the USSR from starting, and we will prevent this disgusting communist nation from spreading its evil ways across the globe. But only if we get the help of all Americans. Yes, if we truly want to defeat the USSR for good, we need each and every American citizen to chip in and help fight, we need everyone to do their part, we need everyone to be able to know what to do in order to combat communism and promote the rights, freedoms, and principles that are so valued by the people of the United States of America. We will succeed.

March 14, 1972:

- President Nixon flies to Washington, D.C. to fulfill his presidential duties and play with his dogs, Vicky, Pasha, and King Timahoe.
- President Nixon eagerly awaits the results of the Florida primaries.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 10:09:00 PM »

May we get one more day on this? I've been busy.

Wait is it due tonight?
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 10:12:13 PM »

Oh, dear...

IDK when Lumine was last on; he hasn't been responding to my PMs.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 10:14:30 PM »

Presumably he would grant the extension if three people ask for it, so...
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 10:04:41 PM »

Oh, dear, how did I miss this?

Sorry, it's my final week of the semester and the past days have been very complicated due to the amount of tests and essays to be done... So this ends tomorrow, Tuesday at the very latest if by tomorrow an extention is still needed.

Oh, good! I'm in the same situation as you are with my workload, but I'm just starting a semester.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 10:22:46 PM »

I will not be able to post tonight. I am very sorry, it will be up tomorrow!
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 10:55:46 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2015, 11:02:53 PM by darthebearnc »

The Nixon Campaign - March 15 to March 21, 1972

President Nixon has a good time chatting with supporters in Charleston, SC.

March 15:

- President Nixon spends his morning fulfilling his duties at the White House in Washington, D.C.
- President Nixon, while eating lunch in his office, checks to make sure he has filed properly for the primary contests in Illinois, South Carolina, Minnesota, & Missouri. He also signs up for the Wisconsin Primary.
- President Nixon boards a flight to South Carolina at approximately 9:00 PM.

March 16:

- President Nixon meets with supporters at a brunch in Charleston. He allows those attending the event to ask him questions regarding his policies and candidacy.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

- President Nixon drives to Summerville and discusses race relations with supporters at a meet-and-greet. Both white and black supporters seem to appreciate the President's moderate-hero views on racial integration in schools, desegregation, and making voting more easily accessible.

- President Nixon eats dinner with supporters in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. He then goes shopping with his wife at a strip mall, where they buy a cute Nixon-supporting teddy bear.

March 17:

- President Nixon breakfasts with residents of Columbia, South Carolina and talks about political issues. He is especially interested by the foreign policy views of a young man named Lindsey Graham, who happens to be visiting the city that day.

- President Nixon delivers a morning speech in Columbia, SC.

- President Nixon lunches with his wife at a restaurant in Columbia, trying to keep a low profile. However, he is quickly noticed by fellow customers of the restaurant and becomes engaged in a fierce political debate with a Democratic patron who believes that Nixon's policies are reactionary. However, Nixon comes down on top with a series of witty put-downs and puns.

- President Nixon holds a large evening rally in Spartanburg, South Carolina. He discusses his civil rights views, but also touches upon his many successes in foreign policy as president, such as his popular and widely-admired visit to China and his successful negotiations with the Soviet Union.

- President Nixon boards a flight to Kansas City, Missouri.

March 18:

- President Nixon makes a speech in Kansas City, MO.

"People of our nation, I know what you're going through. I remember the days of my youth when my parents struggled to put food on the table; I remember having to skip school some days in order to help around the house; I remember having to care for my three younger brothers when my parents were too busy at work or at home to look out for them. I know what it's like to live a hard life, and I know what millions of Americans have to go through every day just to be able to know that their families are safe, healthy, and fed. But the Democrats running for president this year don't. John Lindsay, for example, never experienced the hardships that I and many of you did as children. He doesn't know what it's like to grow up the hard way, and I doubt he'll be able to feel sympathy with the millions of Americans who have if he's elected president. But, of course, I know he won't be, because the American people are smarter than that. The American people are also smarter than to trust someone who calls himself a Democrat but decided to endorse ol' Tricky Dick for president in 1960, and don't even get me started on Edmund Muskie or George McGovern. America knows which candidate in this race has and will continue to express true leadership as president, and I'm confident that when our nation goes to the ballot box this November, America will make the right decision and reelect the President who understands the problems of the common folk, has stayed true to his promises ever since he was just a Congressman, and has displayed the skills necessary to lead America through foreign policy, economic policy, and social policy that everyone can agree works for our nation."

- President Nixon drives to Jefferson City, Missouri.

- President Nixon makes a compelling speech in Jefferson City, Missouri, detailing his record as president and how, if elected to a second term, will be able to end the Cold War with the USSR and successfully end the War in Vietnam.

- President Nixon eats dinner with supporters at a deli in St. Louis, Missouri. He also meets with some prominent local Republican politicians, who seem quite receptive to his candidacy.

March 19:

- President Nixon, having driven across the eastern border of Missouri overnight, eats breakfast with supporters in Aurora, Illinois. He discusses his health care policy and outlines its effects on the economy. He also briefly explains how he plans to proportion the federal budget if elected to a second term in office.

- President Nixon watches a baseball game with supporters in Elgin, Illinois. He convinces the small boy sitting on his right to become a Republican when he grows up, saying it is one of the most important things he can do.

- President Nixon spends his evening in Springfield, Illinois, walking the city streets and discussing how his policies will make America great again with local pedestrians.

- President Nixon makes a late-night civil rights speech in Springfield, Illinois. He makes sure to pander to the relatively progressive Illinois votersphere by emphasizing his pro-civil rights record and policies.

March 20:

- President Nixon spends all of today in Chicago, making a variety of speeches around the city and trying to kiss as many babies as possible.

- President Nixon spends his evening giving a large speech in the city center of Chicago. It is attended by thousands of people, all of whom cheer him on enthusiastically every time he says something. It takes nineteen minutes for the applause to die down at the end of his speech.

"America. The United States of America. The States of America that are United. What comes to mind when the name of our nation is stated? Is it a bald eagle? A hamburger roast? Fireworks on the Fourth of July? No. What comes to mind when we think of America is the freedom, equality, and justice promised and promoted by the United States Constitution and Declaration of Independence. After all, it is our Declaration of Independence that says the following: 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.' But is this phrase true in modern America? Do we treat all Americans as if they are created equally? The answer to this question is not yes. It is the opposite of yes. It is no. Unfortunately, in today's society, we do not treat everyone equally, and that is because of something called discrimination. Discrimination is what prevents African-American adults from having the proper rights to vote, discrimination is what prevents African-American children from getting a good education, discrimination is what has torn our nation apart throughout history and will continue to do so unless something is done about it. And if you elect me this November, I will do something about it. I will do something about discrimination. Discrimination will be something that something has been done to, and that something will have been done by me. I will stop discrimination, and I will assure that America truly does know and embrace that all Americans are created equally."

March 21:

- President Nixon attends his duties in Washington, D.C., but begins to cry when he remembers that Dwight D. Eisenhower is dead.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 11:16:19 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2015, 08:06:13 PM by darthebearnc »

President Nixon's Television Advertisement

Hi. I'm Dick!

This is my home.

But if the Democrats get their way, it won't be that way for long.

What will happen if that's the case?

Well, we'll probably be seeing more of this.

...And this.

And maybe even this!

But America definitely won't be seeing enough of this.

Or this.

America needs a strong leader who knows what he's doing and isn't afraid to take the necessary steps to make our nation great.

And that's why we need to let our beloved Dick stay around a little longer and fill up all our nation's holes.

_______

To be aired in:

/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 11:34:31 PM »

That's a surreal ad if I've ever seen one

It's beautiful
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 11:54:54 PM »

Has Barry posted yet?
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 07:45:56 PM »

When will the next round start?

#400threply
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 09:52:33 PM »

On one hand, Richard Nixon has proved to be a better candidate in 68' and his ground game has proved to be rather decent, allowing him to even clinch Illinois delegates on a write-in bid. On the other hand, he shot himself in the foot by running an ad that voters found "off-putting", essentially equating Democrats with war and nuclear weapons and Republicans with money. The Goldwater campaign has not been able to seize on this, but the President's numbers take a huge hit in national terms as people begin to consider an alternative.

LOL

Anyway, do you have polls for SC, MN, MO, and WI?
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 10:00:52 PM »

Yay! I'm up in SC again. Smiley

Anyway, time for some heavy campaigning this week...

And a politically correct ad or two. Ech.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 07:22:35 PM »

When is this round due?
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 12:44:05 PM »

Can you provide primary polls for other GOP primaries? If so, I'd like Kansas, Virginia, Alaska and Hawaii. Thanks! Smiley
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 08:40:54 PM »

Thank you for the polls and extension! Smiley

Looks like I'll be spending a lot of the round after this one in Utah...
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2015, 06:10:00 PM »

So is everything due tonight?
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2015, 06:14:05 PM »

Technically, yes, unless there's an extension request. I'm ready to move forward, but it's a bit pointless if most of the schedules aren't in.

Do you know if Barry is still in? I don't remember him posting a schedule last round...
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2015, 10:07:02 PM »

Fine with me then, tomorrow is the last possible date, midnight forum time. Results for the South Carolina, Minnesota and Missouri and the Wisconsin Primary will be released then.

Thank goodness! My recent exams have almost killed me. Tongue

Band is what's taking up all my time Tongue... I probably would have had to stay up a few more hours if it was due tonight, so thanks for the extension! Smiley
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2015, 05:11:47 PM »

Mayor John Lindsay - 1921-1972

Mayor Lindsay died in a plane crash.

D:
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2015, 06:19:23 PM »

Huh. I'll accept it for game purposes and will have a special event done in a few minutes, but as a general rule from now on I would ask players to consult with me before killing off a character or withdrawing from the race due to sickness of anything of the sort. This end is a realistic one for Lindsay and I have no objections, I just want to avoid a scenario in which too many presidential characters start dying.

That said, it's sad to see you go, Maxwell, you had a great run!

In my timeline, cancer seems to have taken over the earth Tongue.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2015, 06:54:03 PM »

On what day did Lindsay die, or is that unspecified?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies