Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:55:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)  (Read 108700 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« on: July 26, 2015, 04:53:07 PM »
« edited: July 26, 2015, 05:04:37 PM by NewYorkExpress »

January 2, 1971, Omni Coliseum, Atlanta, Georgia

After the debacle of almost three years prior, we need a new voice representing our party. We need leadership that will present new ideas, and be willing to challenge conventional thinking in all areas. We need outsiders, not insiders, and we feel we can prove people without Governmental experience can be just as effective as those who have spent years in Washington or here in Atlanta! That is why I am running for President, because our party deserves better than chaos on the streets, our Country deserves President who doesn't want "peace with honor", and our citizens deserve to know that their vote counts just as much as anyone else's.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 07:11:02 PM »

Carter for President-Turn One

The Carter Campaign will file in the Florida and New Hampshire Primaries (and is thankful that caucuses don't have filing fees).

January 2, 1972

Announcement at Omni Coliseum, Atlanta, Georgia

Speech before the University of Florida College of Education, Classes of 1972-1974 and staff, at Norman Hall, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida.

One of the myriad of reasons we have such a crushing poverty rate is that so few in this country have access to a quality education...or in some places an education of any kind, which is why under a Carter Administration, one of our first priorities will be to establish a Federal Department of Education. with the goals of ensuring everyone goes to a school of some sort, and being a storehouse for state curriculums, so that if an idea here in Florida is catching on, someone in Oregon can go to the Federal Department instead of jumping through bureaucratic hoops in Tallahassee to get it, and see if it works for them.

Meet Voters in Starke, Florida

January 3, 1972

Meet Voters in Macclenny, Florida

Meet Voters in Callahan, Florida

Meet Voters in Hilliard, Florida

Meet Voters in Keystone Heights, Florida

Attend Dinner/Give Speech in Honor of Edward Urner Goodman at Drexel University, Philadelphia,Pennsylvania

Edward Goodman was a pioneer amongst the Boy Scouts, and it was because of him we have well respected Order of the Arrow. It was largely because of Goodman that Boy Scouts were able to assist with preparation on World War II Homefront. Today we honor Goodman, one of many who brought scouting the respect it has today, with his proper due. 

January 4, 1972

Meet Voters in Dixville Notch, New Hampshire

Meet Voters in Dalton, New Hampshire

Meet Voters in Shelburne, New Hampshire

Meet Voters in Lancaster, New Hampshire

Meet Voters in Lisbon, New Hampshire

January 5, 1972

Meet Voters in Groton, New Hampshire

Meet Voters in Bethlehem, New Hampshire

Meet Voters in Plymouth, New Hampshire

Meet Voters in Jerome, Arizona

January 6, 1972

Meet Voters in Camp Verde, Arizona

Meet Voters in Paradise Valley, Arizona

Meet Voters in Surprise, Arizona

Meet Voters in Globe, Arizona

January 7, 1972

Meet Voters in Largo, Florida

Meet Voters in Seminole, Florida

Meet Voters in Gulfport, Florida

January 8, 1972

Meet Voters in Colfax, Iowa

Meet Voters in Fremont, Iowa

Meet Voters in Eddyville, Iowa

Meet Voters in Agency, Iowa
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 07:32:17 PM »

Muskie Announces Bid in Portland Maine

"Four years ago we were promised 'Law and Order', and four students were shot dead, four years ago we were promised an end to the war in Vietnam, and now thousands of brave Americans lie dead. Therefore, I am today announcing my candidacy for the President of the United States.

America does not need four more years of Nixon, four more years of the status quo. As your President, I will advocate for peace in Vietnam and the defense of the Great Society. I will restore respect to the United States Government abroad and at home.

I will bring Americans together, north and south, black and white, only then can we achieve real progress. Thank you"

(Could someone tell me how to post pictures?)

You need twenty posts.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 03:12:54 PM »

Carter in 72- New Endorsements

New Orleans Mayor Moon Landrieu (D-LA) Landrieu will spend this turn campaigning in Orlando, and Tampa, Florida, plus fundraisng in New Orleans)

Former Attorney General/Undersecretary of State Nicolas Katzenbach (D-NJ)
 (Katzenbach will spend this turn fundraisng in Washington D.C, Newark, and Hartford)

Senator David Gambrell (D-GA) (Gambrell will spend this turn fundraising in Atlanta and Tallahassee) 
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 08:16:52 PM »

New Endorsements for Carter 72'

Former Atlanta Mayor Ivan Allen Jr. (D-GA) (Allen will fundraise in Atlanta and Washington D.C this turn)

Congressman Richard Fulton (D-TN) (Fulton will campaign in Florida, and fundraise in Nashville, Knoxville and Memphis this turn)

Congressman Brock Adams (D-WA) (Adams will campaign in New Hampshire and Illinois, plus fundraise in Chicago and Seattle this turn)

Former Labor Secretary/UN Ambassador and Supreme Court Justice Arthur Goldberg (Goldberg will fundraise in the New York City Metro Area, plus write an op-ed endorsing Carter for the New York Times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 07:48:45 AM »

Carter is the best pick in 72

By Arthur Goldberg

Having resigned from the Johnson Administration and the Supreme Court to oppose the Vietnam War, and having seen a candidate who has promised "peace with honor" deliver us neither peace nor honor as President, It's time for a changing of the guard.

I'm endorsing Governor Carter because he opposes the war, supports detente with China and the Soviet Union, and will move to mend racial relations in this country, not divide us further.

I'm also endorsing Governor Carter because his minimal political experience makes him the best candidate to stand up to President Nixon's dirty tricks...we know they exist, just ask just Helen Gaghan Douglas, or opponents of other Nixon campaigns other the years. He can fight back because he has nothing to hide, and he can win with your support.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 05:47:50 PM »

Carter for President-Turn Two

January 9, 1972

Speech at Southern University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

I know it must be truly frustrating to have been discriminated against for most of recorded history, to have hope of a change, and then to see that hope taken away. It may make you want to riot and throw stones at people, but that's only reinforcing the negative stereotypes others have of you and your culture. Dr. King had the right idea. With, and only with, non-violent resistance can we change the prevailing stereotypes in our racial culture. Only without violence can we enact change, and bring equality to all who ask for it, Black, White or Latino, regardless of sexual identity or religious belief, and regardless of age or gender... America can do it, but it doesn't need to turn the streets into a battlezone to do so.

Meet Voters in Crescent City, Florida

Meet Voters in Palatka, Florida

Meet Voters in Palm Coast, Florida

Meet Voters in Flagler Beach, Florida (With David Gambrell)

January 10, 1972

Meet Voters in New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Meet Voters in Edgewater, Florida

Meet Voters in Lake Havasu City, Arizona

Meet Voters in Williams, Arizona

January 11, 1972

Speech at the Lowell Observatory, Flagstaff, Arizona

President Nixon has set our goals lower by putting the Space Shuttle ahead of landing a man on Mars. This is a country that prided itself on being the first to the Moon, being ahead it's time in many other scientific fields, and yet we're settling for only a Space Shuttle? Think of the discoveries we could make, the pride in our country we could earn, the ability we could continue to display to countries across the globe that we are unmatched in scientific prowess.

Meet Voters in Gila Bend, Arizona

Meet Voters in Coolidge, Arizona

January 12, 1972

Meet Voters in Braidwood, Illinois

Meet Voters in St. Charles, Illinois

Meet Voters in Merrimack, New Hampshire

Meet Voters in Hollis, New Hampshire

January 13, 1972

Series of Phone Meetings with Home State legislators, from Antrim, New Hampshire

Meet Voters/Fundraisers in Nashua, New Hampshire

January 14, 1972

Meet Voters in Grimes, Iowa

Speech at Des Moines Ice Arena, Urbandale, Iowa

Sports plays a role in how we see the world....otherwise we wouldn't have had baseball during World War II. So I salute our ping-pong stars who went to China to take on the diplomatic endeavors, and I hope that the Olympics this year, and the sporting world in future years provides opportunities to extend the hand of friendship to all who wish to accept it, from Georges Pompidou and Harold Wilson to Golda Meir and Leonid Brezhnev.

Meet Voters in Canterbury, New Hampshire

January 15, 1972

Meet Voters in Dracut, Massachusetts

Meet Voters in Ayer, Massachusetts

Speech at Massachusetts Rad/Lib Convention

Certainly some of the wars we've been involved in throughout our almost 200 year history have been just, and rightly fought...but our fighting in Vietnam is none of those things! We've lost precious blood and treasure to a country that can't even defend itself, and people still expect us to soldier on!!! As President, I will recognize Vietnam's government, as the Government of the North, have our troops out within 90 days, and stop the madness. "Peace with Honor" is a fabrication, if no one is behaving honorably, and that is what is happening here!!!

Meet Voters in Hooksett, New Hampshire
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 10:58:15 AM »

Carter for President in 1972-New endorsements

Denver Mayor William McNichols (D-CO) (McNichols will be fundraising in Denver)

Lincoln Mayor Helen Boosalis (D-NE)

Newark Mayor Kenneth Gibson (D-NJ) (Gibson will be fundraising in Philadelphia, New York City and Newark)

Prior endorsements

Arthur Goldberg (Fundraising in New York City in New York City and Los Angeles)

Ivan Allan Jr., David Gambrell and Moon Landrieu (Campaigning in Florida)

Nicholas Katzenbach (Fundraising in Chicago, Boston, and Detroit)

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 03:48:45 PM »

Carter 72-Turn 3 Schedule

January 16, 1972

Meet Voters in DeFuniak Springs, Florida

Speech in Crestview, Florida

It's a huge jump from becoming Mayor of any city to becoming President of the entire country, and John Lindsay's management style does not bode well should you elect him. New Yorkers have had to deal with transit strikes, teachers strikes, sanitation strikes, strikes by theater workers on Broadway, and the infamous Hard Hat Riot, where his NYPD stood by as anti-war protesters were beaten on the steps of City Hall! Is that any way for anyone to manage a city?

Meet Voters in Valparaiso, Florida

Speech in Fort Walton Beach, Florida

It's nice to see countries cooperating the way Europe is, with their "Common Market". Hopefully, one day, all of the Americas, from Alaska to Chile will have a similar market in place, to better
promote trade between themselves, be it free, or paid.

Speech at University of West Florida, Pensacola, Florida

It's time we paid more attention to those who have faithfully served our country, which is why as President, I would make increasing the Department of Veterans Affairs budget a priority. It has been too low to take care of our troops returning from Vietnam, plus our survivors from Korea and World War II for several years now, and it is a great injustice that must be fixed.

January 17, 1972

Meet Voters in Chipley, Florida

Meet Voters in Bonifay, Florida

Meet Voters in Graceville, Florida

Meet Voters in Marianna, Florida

Meet Voters in Bristol, Florida

January 18, 1972

Meet Voters in Lake City, Florida

Meet Voters in Cross City, Florida

Meet Voters in MacLenny, Florida

Meet Voters in Bunnell, Florida

January 19, 1972

Meet Voters in Pittsburg, New Hampshire

Meet Voters in Whitefield, New Hampshire

Meet Voters in Colebrook, New Hampshire

Meet Voters in Meredith, New Hampshire

January 20, 1972

Meet Voters in Barnstead, New Hampshire

Meet Voters in Gilmanton, New Hampshire

Meet Voters in Hanover, New Hampshire

Meet Voters in Enfield, New Hampshire

January 21, 1972

Meet Voters in Maitland, Florida

Meet Voters in St. Cloud Florida

Meet Voters in Wildwood, Florida

Meet Voters in Webster, Florida

January 22, 1972

Meet Voters in Avon Park, Florida

Meet Voters in Wauchula, Florida

Meet Voters in Palmetto, Florida
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 05:39:28 PM »

Do I even need to say that Carter will debate?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 02:51:32 PM »

I'll join the chorus asking for an extension...though I should have my endorsement list up tonight.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 07:29:05 PM »

Carter in 1972-New Endorsements

Phoenix Mayor John Driggs

Former Iowa Attorney General Lawrence Scalise (Scalise will fundraise in Chicago)

Former Miami Mayor Stephen Clark (D-FL) (Clark will campaign in Miami and Palm Beach)

Florida Attorney General Robert Shevin (Shevin will be campaigning in Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Orlando and Tampa)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 04:17:11 PM »

Carter '72- Week 4 Schedule

January 23, 1972

Speech in Temple Terrace, Florida

Mayor Lindsay was, in many ways right to point out just how new to my job as Governor I am...but I wouldn't run for a higher office, without complete trust in team in Atlanta, and in any event, it's unlikely I'll win the nomination, meaning Georgia likely will still have me for three more years anyways... Assuming I do lose, this experience should make me a better a Governor by helping see what other states do, and experimenting with what works in Georgia.

Meet Voters in San Antonio, Florida

Meet Voters in Zephyrhills, Florida

Meet Voters in Brandon, Florida

Meet Voters at Weeki Wachee, Florida

January 24, 1972

Meet Voters in Davenport, Florida

Meet Voters in Roxbury, New Hampshire

Meet Voters in Dublin, New Hampshire

Meet Voters in Croyden, New Hampshire

January 25, 1972

Statement/Speech on Carl Hayden's passing, from St. John's, Arizona

I didn't know Senator Hayden particularly well, but anyone who can represent their state as well as he did for you here in Arizona, is a winner in my book. From what I know about him, he was a workhorse, not a show horse trotting his name out for the press at any opportunity. That's what a good politician should be...and that's what Senator Hayden did so well.

Meet Voters in Horseshoe Beach, Florida

January 26, 1972

Meet Voters in Pembroke Pines, Florida

Meet Voters in Miramar, Florida

Speech in Boynton Beach, Florida

Like my fellow candidates, I don't appreciate being called a "pinko". Mayor Yorty is dangerousy wrong on Vietnam, and I strongly recommend he exit the race, or run as an Independent or Republican, because his denouncement of people who want to do our country right, means he does not belong in the Democratic Party.

January 27, 1972

Telephone meetings with State Legislative Leaders and Lt. Governor Maddox...Boynton Beach, Florida

Meet voters in Lantana, Florida

Meet Voters in Fellsmere, Florida

January 28, 1972

Meet Voters in Harts Location, New Hampshire

Meet Voters in Dixville Notch, New Hampshire

Meet Voters in Monroe, New Hampshire

January 29, 1972

Film appearance in Adam-12! (as a murdered LA City Councilman-episode tentatively scheduled to air in December 1972), Sylmar, Los Angeles, California.

Watch results of Arizona and Iowa Caucuses, Los Angeles, California.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 06:08:55 PM »

Jimmy Carter will file for the Illinois Primary... though winning is unlikely at best, admittedly.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 11:37:27 AM »

Carter debate responses

It's an honor to be here tonight, and I look forward to seeing more of Democrats on all sides in the future...

Unfortunately, busing is the least of our problems in regards to segregation. The reality is that Whites, and minorities don't want to live together for any reason at all, creating segregated neighborhoods, and this mistrust and hostility is what needs to be broken down, before we even discuss issues like busing.

As President I will declare an end to the draft.. as for what will happen to draft dodgers, I feel that they should be given community service, that could be upgraded to prison time if future crimes (such as murder, arson etc.) are committed.

Of Course I will support my parties nominee...unless it's "Saigon Sam", in which case we're screwed.

I think my policy on Vietnam is more common-sense compared to my colleagues to my left, and I don't think you need a map to tell the difference between Mayor Yorty and myself on this issue.

I'd like to thank Democrats both here and across the country, for supporting me this far.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 02:38:36 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2015, 02:54:41 PM by NewYorkExpress »

Carter 72' Campaign Schedule

January 30, 1972

Meet Voters in Wilmington, Illinois

Meet Voters in Crest Hill, Illinois

Meet Voters in Peotone, Illinois

Meet Voters in Braidwood, Illinois

January 31, 1972

Speech in Cicero, Illinois

The reality is that Mayor Yorty isn't just a Republican, he is the worst type of Republican. A red-baiter along the lines of Joseph McCarthy and Mitchell Palmer. Both met their downfalls, [ and I'm sure the fall of Saigon Sam, who wants us shed more blood and treasure on an impossible mission, will be suitably epic

Meet Voters in Rolling Meadows, Illinois

Meet Voters in Marengo, Illinois

February 1, 1972

Meet Voters in Neptune Beach, Florida

Meet Voters in Crystal Rivers, Florida

Tape Appearance on Jeopardy! Special (Politicians Week Semifinals-With John Stennis and Fred Hofheinz (not endorsements-to air in November 1972- from Washington D.C)

February 2 1972- February 7, 1972
Be Governor

February 8, 1972

Meet Voters in Labelle, Florida

Meet Voters in Marco Island, Florida

Meet Voters in Bonita Springs, Florida

February 9-13, 1972

Barnstorm across New Hampshire (With Arthur Goldberg)

February 14

Spend Day with Rosalynn, Atlanta, Georgia

February 15-22

Campaign across Chicago

February 22-28

Campaign in Central and South Florida
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 11:20:18 AM »

Schedule for Jimmy Carter

March 1-3, 1972

GOTV in Jacksonville/Tallahassee, Florida

March 4-5, 1972

GOTV in Orlando/Tampa, Florida

March 6/7, 1972

GOTV in Miami, Florida
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 06:16:16 PM »

Jimmy Carter drops out, will endorse winner of Florida Primary.

OOC: Sorry, can only do, one election game at a time.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies