Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:48:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)  (Read 107390 times)
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1200 on: March 21, 2016, 07:33:40 PM »

Muskie Schedule September 23-30
September 23

Barnstorm in Naperville, IL
Barnstorm in Aurora, IL.
Barnstorm in Joliet, IL.
Rally in Peoria, IL.
“Look, this election isn't about me, or Senator Bayh, or President Nixon. It's about you. We have all endured four years of economic slowdowns, and incredible divisiveness, and it's time to put an end to it. Subtle race-baiting and the not so subtle southern strategy have made us turn against our neighbors. It's time for a uniter in the White House, not a divider.”

September 24

Barnstorm in Flint, MI.
Barnstorm in Burnton, MI.
Barnstorm in Lansig, MI.
Rally in Grand Rapids, MI.
“Tell me, what has President Nixon done for the working man. Honestly, are your lives better than they were four years ago? By and large they are not. Now, what Nixon is trying to do is turn us against one another. He's trying to  make sure the working man's voice is silenced, and the Democratic party will not stand for it.”

September 25

Barnstorm in Bellingham, WA.
Barnstorm in Bellevue, WA.
Barnstorm in Tacoma, WA.
Rally in Olympia, WA.
“You know, President Nixon loves to talk about striving to end the war. Well, let me tell you, I'm striving to be the first man to set foot on the sun! Just because I'm striving to do something, doesn't mean it's going to happen.”

September 26

Barnstorm in Salem, OR.
Barnstorm in Eugene, OR.
Barnstorm in Carson City, NV.
Rally in Las Vegas, NV.
“12 years ago, this state voted against the corruption and incompetence of a potential Nixon White House by casting it's lot with Senator Kennedy. Now, I'm asking you to do it again. This election is going to come down to the wire, and we're going to need all the help that we can get.”

September 27

Barnstorm in Concord, NH.
Barnstorm in Manchester, NH.
Barnstorm in Montpelier, VT.
Rally in Burlington, VT.
“I am from New England, and I understand your trepidation at voting for a Democrat. Lord knows the response I received when I first decided to run in Republican rock ribbed Maine. But, it's time for a change in Washington, and it's time for some New England common sense to return to the White House.”

September 28

Barnstorm in Allentown, PA.
Barnstorm in Harrisburg, PA.
Barnstorm in Altoona, PA.
Rally in Pittsburg, PA.
“It's time for the working people of this country to come together. For the past 4 years we've seen the New Deal coalition slowly chipped away, and I think it's time to bring it back. There is a broad consensus on the proposals that Senator Bayh and I are proposing, but only together can we accomplish our goals.”

September 29

Barnstorm in Akron, OH.
Meet with union leaders in Cleveland, OH.
Barnstorm in Cleveland, OH.
Rally in Columbus, OH.
“Quality healthcare is a universal right in this country, and that is exactly why Senator Bayh and I are proposing to open 100 new clinics in the most impoverished parts of our great nation. As Franklin Roosevelt said, 'The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much it is whether we provide enough for those who have little,' and we take that to heart.”

September 30

Barnstorm in Milwaukee, WI.
Barnstorm in Greenbay, WI.
Rally in Des Moines, IA.
Rally in Iowa City, IA.
"Only one ticket has a comprehensive plan to end the war in Vietnam, and that is ours. We can pledge to you that after 100 days in office, our brave soldiers overseas will be taken out of harms way, and will not be made to fight in an unwinnable war."
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #1201 on: March 21, 2016, 07:45:01 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2016, 07:46:47 PM by YPestis25 »

Muksie/Bayh Endorsers Schedules

Fred Harris
September 28-Rally in Dallas, TX.
September 29-Rally in Houston, TX
September 30-Rally in Kansas City, MO
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #1202 on: March 21, 2016, 07:57:28 PM »

Muskie/Bayh Ad I: Trust

"We nee someone in the White House who we can trust.

"Trust to uphold the dignity of that esteemed building."

"Someone we can trust to make the tough choices."
"Only with Senators Muskie and Bayh in the White House can we trust to have the honor of the Presidency restored. Vote Muskie/Bayh in November."
To Run in:
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1203 on: March 21, 2016, 08:00:13 PM »

He Shares Our Values and Will Fight for Them

He Will Fight for the Unborn

He Will Fight to keep God in the Public Square

He Will Fight for Prayer in our School and our Children learning about God

AND WE WILL WIN

He is endorsed by leaders you trust including

In Mormon Areas of the country a la Utah and Idaho this message will be playing

Ezra Taft Benson

and the

The Deseret News

In Southern States this message will be played

Brook Hays, the Former President of the Southern Baptist Convention

and

George Wallace

This November, vote for the candidate that shares your values and will fight for them.
 John G. Schmitz
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #1204 on: March 21, 2016, 08:13:17 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2016, 08:33:26 PM by YPestis25 »

Muskie/Bayh Ad II: No More Secrets

"We've waited for years."
"Four years four a peace plan that has yet to be revealed..."

"Or come to fruition."

"Where's your plan Mr. President?"

To run in:
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #1205 on: March 21, 2016, 08:40:24 PM »

Muskie/Bayh GOTV and Infrastructure

Infrastructure
-Opening of 3 new offices in Pennsylvania, Indiana, and Ohio
-Opening of 2 new offices in Illinois, Michigan, and Missouri
-Opening of 1 new office in Washington, Oregon, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Kentucky

GOTV
-Northeast
   -Emphasize Muskie being from the region.
   -Register anti-war voters.
   -Target moderate Republicans in Vermont and New Hampshire.
-Midwest
   -Emphasize Muskie's labor record to reconcile union voters.
   -Emphasize Bayh being from the region.
   -Register anti-war voters in upper Midwest.
-Texas
   -LBJ, LBJ, LBJ.
   -Distribute fliers featuring Johnson and Muskie.
   -Solely economic message.
   -Tout Johnson's endorsement during the primaries.
-Pacific Northwest
   -Register anti-war voters.
   -Tout anti-war record.
   -Emphasize health plan in rural areas.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1206 on: March 21, 2016, 10:25:06 PM »

Nixon Ad: Muskie's Message.

Narrator: Ed Muskie makes a lot of promises.

Ed Muskie: "We must end all hostilities in Southeast Asia and bring our boys home.  I promise that we will end the senseless loss of life and withdraw our troops in a safe but prompt manner."

Narrator: How?

Ed Muskie: "It's time for us to achieve civil rights - rights for women, rights for minorities, rights for workers - NOW!"

Narrator: How?

Ed Muskie: "We must have health care for all.  Every American should be guaranteed the right to heath care in this great nation of ours."

Narrator: How? President Nixon has a plan. He has made that clear on the campaign trail and in the halls of Congress. We need a leader who puts plans into action, not a candidate who puts empty platitudes. A vote for Nixon is a vote for real leadership. A vote for Muskie is a vote for broken promises.

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1207 on: March 21, 2016, 10:34:32 PM »

Nixon Campaign Organization Update

The Nixon campaign is currently seeing a mini-surge of new volunteers joining the campaign nationwide following a week of negative momentum over at the Muskie campaign. To compensate, the campaign has been instructing volunteers on how they can help out in their respective states. Whether it is door-to-door, phone banking, or posting flyers, the message is simple: Get the word out about President Nixon's record and contrast his record with that of Muskie's. In particular, the campaign is focusing on bringing voters' attention to how Muskie has been vague on his plans across the board, demonstrating a lack of seriousness. Meanwhile, efforts are also being made underway to peel back voters who have shifted to Schmitz in the South. The campaign is targeting Schmitz supporters by pointing out their candidate's inability to win the general election, reverting the choice back to two tickets, only one of which is acceptable to most of these voters.

Areas of concentration: every swing state, Texas, New York, West Virginia
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1208 on: March 21, 2016, 10:35:38 PM »

This was over about an hour ago, actually. Still, I'll consider that, results up tomorrow since I'm dying to get some sleep.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1209 on: March 21, 2016, 10:38:52 PM »

Sanchez just came back from a concert and I just came back from an exam, so hey Tongue
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1210 on: March 21, 2016, 11:14:35 PM »

Nixon Campaign TV Ad: Temper

Calm. Cool. Collected.

These are qualities expected of any president.

Ed Muskie wants to become president, but does he meet these expectations?

Senate aides have described him as having a "hot temper."

Senator Muskie lashed out in anger after facing scandals in New Hampshire this year.

When the moment counts and the U.S. sits down with the Soviets, will a President Muskie handle the pressure?

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1211 on: March 21, 2016, 11:21:53 PM »

Nixon Campaign TV Ad: Mamie Speaks.
Mamie Eisenhower: I don't like to quote Ike a lot, but I remember him saying this in 1956 when he sought reelection: "Mamie", he said, "four years is not enough. Four years won't complete the job." And Ike was right. We had eight wonderful years under Ike. And we can now have eight wonderful years of President Nixon. You put your faith in Ike and you got results. Now I ask you to put your faith in President Nixon, as you have before. President Nixon is a peace maker. Senator Muskie is a promiser. President Nixon brings results. Senator Muskie stalls results in Congress. President Nixon has been clear and consistent in his view of America. Senator Muskie blows with the wind. The choice is clear: President Nixon has earned his reelection, and I hope you will join me in voting for him come November.

YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #1212 on: March 21, 2016, 11:49:14 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2016, 12:01:02 AM by YPestis25 »

Muskie Press Conference

Reporter: "What do you make of the Nixon campaign's advertisement making an issue of your temper?"

Senator Muskie: "Well look, it seems that the Nixon campaign has been rewriting history. Now, that specific ad was referring to an incident where the Manchester Union Leader made some spurious accusations against my wife. And if I recall correctly, and goodness knows I remember the New Hampshire primary, I was actually criticized for being too emotionless during that scenario. So, it seems that the Nixon campaign may be twisting the facts to suit their own agenda, but I suppose that is par for the course this election."

Reporter: "And what about the claims certain Senate aides have made?"

Senator Muskie: "If we took everything that each Senate aide said literally, well then, we'd believe that Richard Nixon was second coming of Joe McCarthy and that my good friend George McGovern was the second coming of Eugene Debs.  If the best sources that the Nixon campaign has are some disgruntled Senate aides, then fine. Let them do their worst. In the meantime, Senator Bayh and I will be travelling this country presenting our plans for the next four years in our nation."

Reporter: "One more Senator, what do you make the former First Lady, Mamie Eisenhower, taking part in attack advertisements against you?"

Senator Muskie: "I have the utmost respect for Mrs. Eisenhower, we just happen to disagree politically. Her time as First Lady should serve as an example to all political figures on how to lead with class and poise. Thank you."

(Not sure if those ads will be counted this turn, but just in case I drew up a response.)
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1213 on: March 22, 2016, 03:41:58 PM »

SCHMITZ RESPONDS TO YORTY SAYING HE CANNOT WIN

"Our great friend, Mayor Yorty said in Arkansas that our campaign can't win anywhere outside of the South or this election. Mayor Yorty was completely false in what he was saying, this weeks national poll said that our campaign went up around four points while President Nixon and his campaign went down three points, some of that is attributed to Governor Wallace's endorsement. Governor Wallace endorsed me because I will actually go to Washington and fight for what I said, I would. I'm going to fight against busing, against the EPA taking about our industry and simplifying our tax code, while fighting for family values and a limited government. Momentum is on our side. If you believe in what, I am saying join us and together we can win this thing and stand up for America."

NOTE: Lumine it's fine if you don't count this but Spiral said this before the end of last turn.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1214 on: March 22, 2016, 10:19:49 PM »

When are we going to get the results for next turn???
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1215 on: March 23, 2016, 09:06:17 AM »

Working on it, but it's been a tiresome week so far.

It takes a solid three hours of work to make a turn since I have to do polling for all states, grade performances, research the news to find something interesting, consider the national swing and do the dice rolls, and finding the time is not particularly easy these days.

Alternatively, Nixon's schedule reminded me I never gave results for the Scranton confirmation hearing, so expect an event on that as the new turn is posted. Schmitz, Muskie and Bayh are invited to make their "Aye", "Nay" or "Abstain" vote known, but the outcome of the vote has already been decided.
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #1216 on: March 23, 2016, 09:16:10 AM »

It takes a solid three hours of work to make a turn since I have to do polling for all states, grade performances, research the news to find something interesting, consider the national swing and do the dice rolls, and finding the time is not particularly easy these days.

Alternatively, Nixon's schedule reminded me I never gave results for the Scranton confirmation hearing, so expect an event on that as the new turn is posted. Schmitz, Muskie and Bayh are invited to make their "Aye", "Nay" or "Abstain" vote known, but the outcome of the vote has already been decided.

Is that William Scranton of Pennsylvania? What's he being appointed to?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1217 on: March 23, 2016, 09:18:11 AM »

Vice-President, of course. Nixon appointed him to replace Agnew, and he will serve as a placeholder from October 1972 to January 1973 (if confirmed, of course).
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #1218 on: March 23, 2016, 09:25:51 AM »

Vice-President, of course. Nixon appointed him to replace Agnew, and he will serve as a placeholder from October 1972 to January 1973 (if confirmed, of course).

Ah, thanks. Muskie votes aye.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1219 on: March 23, 2016, 09:28:15 AM »

Aye, for the record.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1220 on: March 23, 2016, 09:14:38 PM »

Scranton confirmed by House and Senate!

William Warren Scranton, the 40th Vice-President of the United States

Following the sudden fall from grace experienced by former Vice-President Spiro Agnew (currently not enjoying his retirement in Maryland as he is expected to potentially stand trial in 1973), the Nixon Administration was presented with a PR disaster and with an opportunity, to either present the re-election running mate early and give him seniority or to appoint some sort of an elder statesman to hold down the fort as the final months of 1972 went away. In normal circumstances political wisdom might have gone for the first choice, but with Sam Yorty becoming toxic to Liberal Republicans and most of the Democratic caucus, it became evident that not even Haldeman and the hatchet-men like Dole or Bush could promise that Yorty would make it through the hearings. In a stroke of brilliance, President Nixon convinced a true elder statesman to finally accept higher office, a move that payed off handsomely this week.

William Warren Scranton, the popular Governor of Pennsylvania, was one of the main players in the primary drama of 1964. While confessing his own interest in being the VP nominee, Scranton initially refused to take part in the epic struggle of Goldwater and Rockefeller, ultimately being forced to run in the later stages by many who saw him as a "white horse", an effort that fell apart at the convention. Perhaps dejected, perhaps not, and with term limits on his head, Scranton refused to hold office again, despite the respect he inspired on many inside the GOP. Having refused Nixon's offer to be Secretary of State in 69', he still chaired a presidential commission after the Kent State shootings, issuing the well known Scranton report in 1970'. Ultimately, a brief Vice-Presidency and the status it afforded seemed like a prize not even Scranton could refuse, leading to his nomination in early July after a brief vetting process.

The hearings would prove mostly uncontroversial, the main points of contention being more of an opportunity for far-right conservatives and the anti-war left to denounce the administration more than any personal opposition to the nominee (and Scranton himself did not found the process a hard one to stand). It was part of the lovely irony of politics that his old primary rival Barry Goldwater was there to play a role, and the Arizonan declared a strong support for the nomination. Several of the candidates for President and Vice-President had their time in the spotlight too, with the Senate duo of Edmund Muskie and Birch Bayh voting "Aye" along with most of the Democratic Party. To the shock of many,  now independent (and running as such in the GE) Rep. John G. Schmitz also supported Scranton, stating to other congressmen that while he would have preferred a more conservative choice, it was harmless to have a respected politician as Scranton for less than four months in office.

It was thus that the House vote went 303-114, and the Senate went 88-9. William Scranton was therefore the 40th Vice-President, to serve from October 1st, 1972 to January 20th, 1973.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1221 on: March 23, 2016, 09:26:30 PM »

STATEMENT ON SCRANTON VOTE

"Well, many are surprised by the fact that, I cast a vote for Governor Scranton. Let me explain my reasoning behind this, Governor Scranton is a good man, he isn't the best candidate for the job. I have many others that I would have wanted to see in his place but for a Vice President that is only serving for four months. I don't see any problems. If Governor Scranton was going to run for the next term. I would have voted "no, no and no again." The next President and Vice President will be chosen this year at the ballot box and not by the cronies in DC. I am confident that the people will Choose Schmitz this November."
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1222 on: March 23, 2016, 10:19:08 PM »
« Edited: March 23, 2016, 10:20:46 PM by Lumine »

Turn Twenty-One: Mid-Point:
October 1st to October 8th, 1972

Scranton takes the oath (I love this picture!)

In the News!

Paris Peace talks going nowhere?
Previous advances between Le Duc Tho and Kissinger interrupted  by growing violence in Vietnam, can both sides find an agreement?

Scranton takes office as VP:
Polling shows Scranton to be one of the most popular GOP politicians, will he hit the campaign trail?

"Temper" Ad controversy mounting:
Mistaken claims of Muskie having a "hot temper" bring scrutiny and condemnation from press and public, Muskie fights back in a press conference

Gallup: 1972 Presidential Election:

Richard Nixon/Sam Yorty: 45% (-1) (196 EV)
Ed Muskie/Birch Bayh: 42% (+1) (145 EV)
John Schmitz/John Rarick: 11% (+1) (38 EV)
Undecided: 2% (-1) (159 EV)

Plenty to talk about here, really. September is gone, gentlemen, and October is all that's left between either of you and the White House. The time is there to shift the momentum with strong performances, as you have a VP debate this turn and the last presidential debate on turn seven, plus an October surprise... which I will reveal a couple of turns from now on. So, let's move on. This round was very much a hit or miss one, with performances knocking it out of the park or making mistakes that, partly due to negative dice rolls, hurt badly in some cases. Ultimately, the momentum swing came to who hurt himself the least, which in this case happened to be the Muskie and Schmitz campaigns (despite making mistakes themselves) as Nixon and Yorty happened to lost the main controversy of the turn.

To get things out of the way, the Schmitz campaign continues to fare well at identifying voters to target and appeal to them, as shown by an increase in religious support towards the Schmitz/Rarick effort, which is combined with good schedules. On the other hand, there really wasn't a theme this turn, save for a proclamation that Schmitz can indeed win (which leads too many to ask how?). Surrogates can be effective too, but the fact remains that the independent running mate has not been an asset at all, as Rarick has not been seen to make a concrete or definite statement so far. Even more than Bayh and Yorty, who are established faces in the national scene, Rarick needs to make an impression at the debate, as media criticism of him being on the side of segregation might create a narrative. So Schmitz surges in south and west, but it could have been a stronger surge.

The GOP case is most interesting, as both Nixon and Yorty showed both their best and their worst sides. The President's strong points came on a powerful speech given in Ohio, his successful lobbying to confirm William Scranton, and Sam Yorty's economic and aspirational talk, as his and the President's personal stories play very well with voters (indeed, Yorty brought about considerable gains for his party in Arkansas). On the negative side, Nixon made a major gaffe (dice roll) in Michigan by describing himself not as a moderate, but a strong conservative. Given that liberal Republicans could hardly be more angry at Yorty, to see the President moving further into that direction only enraged them more. Coincidentally, Muskie happened to made an appeal to those disaffected Republicans, and they are listening. Nixon also got blasted on the issue of truth (with voters beginning to change his mind about his honesty), on Yorty going after Muskie for attacking the administration (which sadly just looks hypocritical coming from the Mayor), and above all, for the "temper" situation.

Now, our OTL 1972 did see Muskie lashing out after the Canuck letter episode. But in this game, what Muskie gave was a cold response, a factor in delivering New Hampshire to a passionate Yorty. So not only did that ad distort the truth way too evidently, dice rolls amplified its backfire. Muskie defended himself reasonably well in a press conference, allowing him to hide some of his own serious mistakes. Which leads me to the Democrats. First things first, Senator Bayh knocked it out of the park this week, being detailed, on point, and surprisingly effective in making the case in the swing states. He is very much the reason the Democrats made gains across the board (along with GOP defections), which combined positively with a good ad against Nixon's honesty, the Vietnam peace talks, and good GOTV. Muskie, on the other hand, played into Nixon's game. Attacked often by not being specific enough, Muskie fought back... by not being specific at all. Nixon, having already created a media narrative, cut back severely into Muskie's favorability with that. Ultimately, "Temper" and Bayh cancelled that potential loss. It should also be noted the Muskie campaign has taken a huge gamble on Vietnam, which could pay off very handsomely... or not.

So there you have it. Schmitz makes small gains across his targeted base to consolidate the South, Muskie/Bayh surge in swing states and New England, and Nixon/Yorty take their share of losses and a few wins of their own. It's tightening ever more, gentlemen... keep up the good work!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1223 on: March 23, 2016, 10:21:25 PM »

And the VP debate is up tomorrow, I'm exhausted.

Have fun!
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1224 on: March 25, 2016, 03:25:07 PM »

Can I have South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida and Utah polling please???
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies