Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:50:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)  (Read 107469 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1150 on: March 09, 2016, 10:32:29 PM »

I have no time to finish this now, Balance of Power deserves full priority today. This is extended to Friday night, I'll have enough time then.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1151 on: March 10, 2016, 02:56:14 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2016, 06:16:35 PM by Classic Conservative »

Turn Eighteen Schedule for John G. Schmitz Part 2
September 20, 1972
Congressman Schmitz flew to Elko, Nevada where he held a rally in the Town Square. Congressman Schmitz, spoke about the economy, busing and giving government owned land back to the local citizens. After the rally he spoke with local ranchers at the Ranchers Roundtable in Elko where around 60 ranchers attended.
Congressman Schmitz then visited Pahrump, Nevada where he spoke out of a back of a truck to a crowd of around 500 people, talking about his economic message, giving government land back to Nevada and Western issues.
Congressman Schmitz later drove for a few hours in the bus to a Small Town for Schmitz in Virgin, Utah where he spoke about getting God Back into the public square, ending busing, the economy and Vietnam.
Afterwards, Congressman Schmitz quickly jumped the border into Colorado City, Arizona (sorry Lumine but it is literally on the border) where he held a rally for around 40 minutes. He spoke to a crowd of around 1,400 about building a wall on the Southern Border and jobs.
Congressman Schmitz, quickly jumped the border again and held the last rally of the day in Paria, Utah where he spoke about the economy, Mormon Values and conservative issues including the Constitution and the Gold Standard. He afterwards spoke with people who supported Nixon and convinced around 30 of them to support Schmitz.

September 21, 1972
Congressman Schmitz and Lt. Governor Maddox flew into Waycross, Georgia where he spoke about busing, Southern Values and how we must have a President who will strictly adhere to the Constitution and how they will bring jobs into our country.
Schmitz and Maddox later visited Savannah and visited the local Schmitz office there and spoke to a crowd of 500 gathered outside including Schmitz volunteers about Southern Issues and Values and how we need a constitutional amendment to end busing. He later made phone calls from the office to undecided voters.
They later, visited Fitzgerald, Georgia and spoke at a Confederate Themed Store about ending busing, protecting the Second Amendment and the Confederate Flags and his jobs plan.
They later visited Fort Valley State College and spoke to around 3,000 people gathered there about jobs, the Vietnam War and Southern Issues. He said that "the difference between our current parties, is one is only slightly more communist than the other." the crowd laughed and cheered at that remark.
Schmitz later went door knocking in small towns across Southern Georgia that evening and grabbed some ribs at a local restaurant. He met some local voters and asked for their vote. Everywhere he went many people flocked to meet him.

September 22, 1972
Congressmen Schmitz and Rarick, held a rally at a local church in Winnsboro, Louisana. At the rally they were joined by local elected officials who support Schmitz as well as many of John Rarick's friends. Jerry Falwell attended also as the reprsentative of Evangelical Pastors for Schmitz, one of the largest groups of pastors in all campaigns. Schmitz spoke about traditional family values, school prayer, ending busing and quoted many of his favorite bible passages which he does a lot on the trail including 2 Chronicles 7:14.
Congressmen Schmitz and Rarick then held a town hall in Cottonport, Louisana where he spoke at a local factory about jobs and Southern Values. He spoke about how we are loosing jobs in this country and how we have to get more jobs back in our country. He also spoke of his constitutional admendment to end busing.
They later went to Vinton, Louisana and held a meet and greet at a catfish joint. After eating some fried catfish. Schmitz and Rarick spoke about how we need to get the government of our industries backs, southern values and busing.
Round 18 Endorsement

National Review Editorial Board
Conservative Newsmagazine
"Congressmen John Schmitz and John Rarick, have continually have for our values in the House. Whether it is for Taiwan, The Constitution or the Gold Standard. We need an actual conservative in the presidency unlike President Nixon. Schmitz went to Washington and said what he was going to do. The Editorial Board including myself are proud to endorse the only conservative left in the race, John Schmitz."
William F. Buckley, Editor in Chief
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1152 on: March 11, 2016, 09:17:47 PM »

Sam Yorty Campaign Schedule: September 16-22

September 16
-Town Hall in Moody, AL
-Town Hall in Pell City, AL
-Town Hall in Selma, AL
-Rally in Tuscaloosa, AL
-Rally and Voter Registration in Montgomery, AL

You look around you, and what do you see? Your see your kids in your communities being subject to a social experiment gone wrong. The verdict is clear on busing: it doesn't work. Some pointy-headed intellectuals and radical activists may want to continue ramming busing down the throats of the American people, but I'm here to tell you that enough is enough! President Nixon knows that busing is a failed policy and he's the only one who can bring this failed policy to an end once and for all. It takes guts and some determination, but a little work goes a long way. We can start by making the right choice this election. This is about our future--our children's future. If we don't make the right choice this year, we may never get rid of programs like busing.

September 17
-Town Hall in Laurel, MS
-Town Hall in Oxford, MS
-Meeting with workers in Gulfport, MS
-Rally in Meridian, MS
-Rally and Voter Registration in Jackson, MS

September 18
-Town Hall in Estelle, LA
-Town Hall in Belle Chase, LA
-Meeting with union members in Lafayette, LA
-Meeting with grassroots activists in Shreveport, LA
-Rally and Voter Registration in Baton Rogue, LA

A lot of voters in this part of the country are enthused with Congressman Schmitz. They think he's a breath of fresh air and will really shake things up in Washington. While I understand the appeal, Congressman Schmitz is not the man who should lead this great nation. He's thrown around wild accusations and expects no consequences from them. He's called our own president a communist multiple times, for goodness sake! Say what you will about Richard Nixon, but the man is a patriot who's worked his entire career to fight communism and other poisonous ideologies. Schmitz throws out the red meat every day on the campaign trail but will disappoint you every day in office. He would be a disaster in a real position of power. As a congressman, he can bloviate all he wants, but these presidential elections have consequences. The Nixon-Yorty ticket is about really helping the working man and restoring our power around the globe. I ask that you consider us for your vote when November arrives.

September 19
-Town Hall in Berea, KY
-Town Hall in Newport, KY
-Meeting with union members in Owensboro, KY
-Meeting with small business owners in Lexington, KY
-Rally and Voter Registration in Bowling Green, KY

VOTER: Mayor, I'm a Democrat but I'm undecided. What can you say to a voter like myself to show that you and the President will be the best ticket to lead the country?

YORTY: I'm glad you asked me that question. As a Democrat until very recently, let me respond. *chuckles* To be clear, although I left the party, I have nothing against regular Democrats like yourself. Nothing at all. In fact, it might be more accurate to say that the party left me. The party establishment, now controlled by radical elites, doesn't really know the concerns of working men and women--the same people I've always stood for. What President Nixon and I want to do is reach out to the working class, the people who have been ignored for the most part for many years. We want to protect your jobs, improve your children's education, and scrub crime in the cities. I think these are things that we should all agree on. The difference between President Nixon and someone like Senator Muskie is that Senator Muskie doesn't have the solutions to make any of this better. The Nixon administration wants to give Middle America a seat at the table so we know what we have to do and how we're going to do it. We're bringing in Republicans, but also Democrats, independents, and everyone in between. That's the only way we're going to solve our country's big problems, and it can be done.

September 20
-Meeting with farmers in Allen, TX
-Meeting with small business owners in Austin, TX
-Meeting with grassroots activists in Fort Worth, TX
-Meeting with pastors and religious leaders in Dallas, TX
-Rally and Voter Registration in San Antonio, TX

September 21
-Town Hall in Webb City, MO
-Town Hall in St. Ann, MO
-Meeting with farmers in Wildwood, MO
-Meeting with grassroots activists in Florissant, MO
-Rally and Voter Registration in Springfield, MO

September 22
-Town Hall in Pekin, IL
-Town Hall in Romeoville, IL
-Meeting with factory workers in Elgin, IL
-Meeting with union leaders in Springfield, IL
-Rally and Voter Registration in Aurora, IL

Make no mistake: this election is not one to skip. We've got to work together to win this thing. We need young and old, male and female, black and white to show just how much of a force the American people can be this year. So, get involved in this campaign now. Knock on doors, make those phone calls, and spread the word wherever else you can. We have the opportunity to continue to rebuild our nation after the horrors of the '60s, but it isn't going to happen if we suddenly change course just when real progress is being made. Remember that the next time Ed Muskie comes around here and begs for your vote.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #1153 on: March 11, 2016, 09:58:49 PM »

Muskie Schedule

September 16th
Rally at Northwestern University, IL.
Barnstorm in Cicero, IL.
Barnstorm in Arlington Heights, IL.
Rally in Chicago, IL.
"It is time to the end the war in Vietnam. We were promised Nixon's "secret plan for peace" for years ago. Where is it? I'm sure we'd all be dying to know."

September 17th
Barnstorm in East St. Louis, IL.
Barnstorm in Belleville, IL.
Barnstorm in Effington, IL.
Rally at Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL.
"Time and time again Nixon promises to get us out of Vietnam, and every day, every month, that promise is broken."

September 18th
Barnstorm in Warren, MI.
Barnstorm in Livonia, MI.
Barnstorm in Deerborne, MI.
Rally in Detroit, MI.
"I get it, I really do. Sam Yorty is an appealing choice. But tell me, where was he when Kennedy ran? Endorsing Nixon. Where was he during the primary? To the right of Nixon. And where is he now? With Nixon. We need a candidate who stands with the working man unequivocally, not one who changes their stance with the wind."

September 19th
Barnstorm in West Bend, WI.
Barnstorm in Beaver Dam, WI.
Barnstorm in Waupun, WI.
Barnstorm in Portage, WI.
"We need to ensure that every one of our citizens, especially our rural ones, have access to quality healthcare. It should be the goal of every nation to guarantee that someone's right to healthcare will not be dictated by where they live."

September 20th
Rally in Dover, DE.
Barnstorm in Jersey City, NJ.
Barnstorm in Atlantic City, NJ.
Rally in Trenton, NJ.
"What have we gotten under President Nixon? Four years of slower growth. Four years of war. Four years of unrest and division. It's time for a democrat to come back into office."

September 21st
Rally in Seattle, WA.
Barnstorm in Portland, OR.
Barnstorm in Springfield, OR.
Rally in Coos Bay, OR.
"Look, we still have a long way to go, but in just a few weeks, we've turned this from a blowout into a real contest. Let's take this fight to the White House!"

September 22nd
Barnstorm in Burlington, VT.
Barnstorm in Nashua, NH.
Rally in Manchester, NH.
"We have a chance to turn around the political environment of the country. We can put an end to the corruption, and to the crime of the past four years, but we can only do this together."
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #1154 on: March 11, 2016, 10:12:50 PM »

Muskie/Bayh Ad 1: A Return to Normalcy

It's time for a return to normalcy.

For the pasty four years we've scene economic stagnation.

And an unprecedented level of division.

Let's get back to normal. Vote Muskie/Bayh this November.

To run in:
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #1155 on: March 11, 2016, 10:22:39 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2016, 10:24:13 PM by YPestis25 »

Muskie/Bayh Ad 2: Muskiementum

We've come a long way since New Hampshire.

"But we've still got a long way to go.

Join us, and let's put a Democrat back in the White House. Vote Muskie/Bayh this November.

To run in:
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1156 on: March 11, 2016, 10:38:29 PM »

Sam Yorty on the Schmitz Campaign's Anti-Yorty Advertisement

What does Congressman Schmitz try to gain by implying that I'm some kind of communist? This ad is completely ridiculous. I would like to remind Americans that I was one of the very first in Congress to push for a crackdown on Soviet spies within government. I've been one of the strongest anti-communist voices in this country for years and I'll continue to stand up for American freedom and democracy at every turn.

This sort of slander is nothing new from the Congressman, though. He's accused the President of being a communist multiple times in the past. These increasingly desperate calls for attention are pitiful and I trust that the American people won't fall for them.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1157 on: March 11, 2016, 11:03:25 PM »

Nixon Campaign TV Ad: Temper

Calm. Cool. Collected.

These are qualities expected of any president.

Ed Muskie wants to become president, but does he meet these expectations?

Senate aides have described him as having a "hot temper."

Senator Muskie lashed out in anger after facing scandals in New Hampshire this year.

When the moment counts and the U.S. sits down with the Soviets, will a President Muskie handle the pressure?

YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #1158 on: March 11, 2016, 11:24:20 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2016, 11:25:54 PM by YPestis25 »

Muskie/Bayh Surrogates

Ted Kennedy
"We need to stand up for the working people of this country, not turn our backs on them!
September 18th-Rally in Chicago, IL
September 21st-Rally in Harrisburg, PA
September 22nd-Rally in Philadelphia, PA

George McGovern
"Where is this secret peace plan of Nixon's? I'm dying to hear it."
September 16th-Rally at Drake University, IA
September 19th-Rally at Marquette University, WI
September 20th-Rally at University of Wisconsin, WI

Hubert Humphrey
"We need a friend of the unions in the White House, not one of their staunchest opponents."
September 17th-Rally in Detroit, MI
September 18th-Rally in Flint, MI
September 20th-Rally in Pittsburg, PA.

Fred Harris
"Look, Senator Muskie and I may have campaigned against each other this spring, but I believe he is the only qualified candidate this November."
September 18th-Rally in Kansas City, MO.
September 19th-Rally in St. Louis, MO.
September 21st-Rally in Louisville, KY.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1159 on: March 11, 2016, 11:36:43 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2016, 01:51:23 PM by Governor NeverAgain »

Bayh Campaign Schedule, Sep. 16th - 22nd

Friday, Sep. 16:  INDIANA
Ft. Wayne - Rally on "Fixing Rising Unemployment"
Indianapolis - Barnstorming
Gary - Voter Registration and Meet + Greet
Michigan City - Town Hall on "Protecting the GI Bill"

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Gary, IN

Saturday, Sep. 17:  INDIANA
Lafayette - Meeting with local Union leaders
Bloomington - Town Hall on "Fighting for Civil Rights"
South Bend - Rally on "We Must Achieve Full Employment"
Carmel - Barnstorming

Sunday, Sep. 18:  MICHIGAN
Detroit - Rally on "Ending the Atrocity of Vietnam"
Flint - Barnstorming
Ann Arbor - Town Hall
Grand Rapids - Rally on " Assurance For The American People"

Ft. Wayne, IN

Monday, Sep 19: MISSOURI
St. Louis - Rally on "Law and Order - What Does It Mean?"
Kansas City - Barnstorming
Springfield - Town Hall on "Protecting The Rights of the Individual"
Columbia - Barnstorming

Tuesday, Sep 20: KENTUCKY
Louisville -
Lexington  - Barnstorming
Frankfort -
Bowling Green -

Wednesday, Sep 21: TEXAS
Houston - Rally on "Civil Rights For All"
Austin - Barnstorming
El Paso - Voter Registration and Meet + Greet
Oak Point -

Houston, TX

Thurday, Sep 22:  TEXAS
Dallas - Meeting with Dallas Mayor, Wes Wise
Ft. Worth - Rally on "The Rights of Women and The ERA"
Laredo - Barnstorming
Galveston - Town Hall on Healthcare

Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1160 on: March 11, 2016, 11:49:15 PM »

Schmitz Response to Mayor Yorty

"Mayor Yorty, was completely false, I never said that he is currently a communist. Mayor Yorty, is a good fighter in the anti-communist cause. But, facts do not lie, Mayor Yorty once was endorsed by the Communist Party. That is something that we cannot deny, once the news came out in the California Anti-American Activities Committee, he distanced himself greatly from them. But, we do not need another person in Washington D.C. who has been supported by communists. (crowd chuckles) Yes, I have accused, our current President, as being a supporter and funder of communism and communist regimes. We have opened up embassies and consulates and relationships all over, Mao's Communist Utopia. I believe that he is a supporter of communism, because if he wasn't, he wouldn't be standing against our friend in Taiwan but he would be standing against a country that continues to prop up our enemies in Vietnam and the Soviet Union."
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1161 on: March 11, 2016, 11:51:26 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2016, 01:45:21 PM by Governor NeverAgain »

Muskie Ad: Vietnam and Texas

Texas.
A State with a strong history of electing strong Democrats to preserve the rights of Texans and Americans.
Ralph Yarborough has been a leader in fighting against the Vietnam War and fighting for the rights of the individual.
Ed Muskie has testified before the Texas State Legislature on the destructive power of the War.
This war is wrong for you, it's wrong for America, and it's wrong for Texas.

Playing In:
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1162 on: March 12, 2016, 12:06:01 AM »

Nixon Campaign TV Ad: Mamie Speaks.
Mamie Eisenhower: I don't like to quote Ike a lot, but I remember him saying this in 1956 when he sought reelection: "Mamie", he said, "four years is not enough. Four years won't complete the job." And Ike was right. We had eight wonderful years under Ike. And we can now have eight wonderful years of President Nixon. You put your faith in Ike and you got results. Now I ask you to put your faith in President Nixon, as you have before. President Nixon is a peace maker. Senator Muskie is a promiser. President Nixon brings results. Senator Muskie stalls results in Congress. President Nixon has been clear and consistent in his view of America. Senator Muskie blows with the wind. The choice is clear: President Nixon has earned his reelection, and I hope you will join me in voting for him come November.

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1163 on: March 12, 2016, 12:12:36 AM »

PRESS RELEASE: NIXON CAMPAIGN ANNOUNCES NEW HIRES FROM YORTY CAMPAIGN

Today, the Nixon campaign has recruited a dozen top operatives from the Sam Yorty campaign. Veterans of the brutal and long-lasting Democratic primaries, these operatives will be working in the upper ranks of the President's reelection bid to bring in a surge of voters nationwide. Using their intricate knowledge of GOTV effort, the Yorty veterans will be bolstering campaign operations in battleground states through a variety of the same innovative methods used to propel Mayor Yorty to the highest amount of delegates in the primaries. These states include:

Ohio
Indiana
Vermont
Delaware
New Hampshire
Iowa
Missouri
Texas
New York
Pennsylvania
Alabama
Louisiana
Mississippi
Oregon
Washington
New Jersey

Efforts on the ground to revamp organization are already underway. Currently the Nixon campaign has been making great strides to reach out to grassroots activists across the country and provide them with the resources to motivate committed voters and persuade undecided voters.
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #1164 on: March 12, 2016, 12:29:50 AM »

Muskie/Bayh GOTV

Wisconsin
-Organize on college campuses
-Appeal to organized
Michigan
-Organize on college campuses
-Appeal to the labor machine
-Rally minority vote in Wayne and surrounding counties
Pennsylvania
-Begin registering new voters in major population centers of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.
-Appeal to labor machine
Missouri
-Rally minority voters in St. Louis and Kansas City
-Distribute Muskie literature on economic issues to the bootheel and river towns
Illinois
-Tap into Daley machine
-Distribute Muskie literature in southern Illinois
Washington, Iowa, and Oregon
-Rally college vote
-Appeal to anti-war voters
Texas
-Distribute pamphlets and mailers featuring LBJ and Muskie
-Use Ralph Yarborough to rally Texas Democrats
New Jersey
-Tap into Democratic Machine
-Rally organized labor around Muskie
Vermont and New Hampshire
-Emphasize Muskie's close home
-Emphasize Yorty's incompatibility to the region i.e Californian, right wing populist.
Indiana
-Bayh fliers in every major population center
-Appeal to independents who are uncomfortable with Yorty in the White House
Maryland
-Rally minority voters around Muskie
-Distribute Muskie literature in major cities.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1165 on: March 12, 2016, 08:31:01 PM »

John Rarick Campaign Schedule: September 16-22

September 16
-Town Hall in St. Francisville, Louisana
-Town Hall in Homer, Louisana
-Town Hall in Bastrop, Louisana
-Rally and Voter Registration in Hot Springs, Arkansas
-Rally and Voter Registration in Shreveport, Louisiana

September 17
-Town Hall at a Local Factory in Sandusky, Ohio
-Town Hall in Cambridge, Ohio
-Meeting with Union Workers in Warsaw, Ohio
-Rally with John Ashbrook at Hillsdale College in Hillsdale, Michigan
-Rally and Voter Registration at a Car Factory in Detroit, Michigan

September 18
-Town Hall in Loma, North Dakota
-Town Hall in Minot, North Dakota
-Meeting with Energy Workers in Williston, North Dakota
-Meeting with Pastors in Fargo, North Dakota
-Rally and Voter Registration in Dickinson, North Dakota

September 19
-Town Hall in Egg Harbor, New Jersey
-Town Hall in Berlin, New Jersey
-Meeting with Fishermen Union Members in Cape May, New Jersey
-Meeting with Steelworkers in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
-Rally and Voter Registration in Erie, Pennsylvania

September 20
-Town Hall in Michigan City, Indiana
-Meeting with Union Members in Fort Wayne, Indiana
-Town Hall in Carmel, Indiana
-Meeting with Farmers in Summitville, Indian
-Rally and Voter Registration in Evansville, Indiana

September 21
-Town Hall in Selma, Alabama
-Town Hall in Monroeville, Alabama
-Meet and Greet and Voter Registration at a Gun Store in Fort Payne, Alabama
-Meeting with 200 Undecided Voters in Montgomery, Alabama
-Rally and Voter Registration in Cullman, Alabama

September 22
-Town Hall in Louisville, Mississippi
-Town Hall in Seminary, Mississippi
-Rally in Laurel, Mississippi
-Meeting with Evangelical Leaders in Jackson, Mississippi
-Rally and Voter Registration in Southaven, Mississippi
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1166 on: March 12, 2016, 08:50:47 PM »

When is the turn going to end???
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1167 on: March 12, 2016, 09:12:14 PM »

Either tonight or tomorrow night, depends on how long I take finishing up the BoP turn.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #1168 on: March 13, 2016, 12:03:28 AM »

Wallace Endorsement: John Schmitz

- Montogremy, Alabama

G'day to you, good folks, we are on the brink of disaster, ms-management of the vietnam war, appeasement of commies in China, we are now supposed to be fighting the commies, who threaten our way of life, not shake and be best friends with them. We are the brink of disaster with elitism, with growing money and power, being concentrated with the very rich in Washington, and the corrupt politicians, who look out only for themselves, and have no idea of the voices for the rest of the country, the rest of middle America, the south, the Catholics, the protestants, not just some hippies and commies in some north-eastern universities, who fail to adress the concerns of bills, taxes, fair wages, bureaucracy and a growing disconnect between the working class and the Washington class.

If that wasn't as bad enough from Washington, we have forced integration, of the races, sending every good neighborhood into a state of ghetto-like conditions, whether this be in Detriot, New York, or right here in Alabama, where the federal government has no care for the constitution, no care for the 10th amendment, and the right for states, such as Virginia, Georgia or Alabama to decide what to do with the consent of the people, as Schmitz and I believe, we believe that the people make the best decisions not the rich people in power, who want to tear and wear our way of life, so that they can make a little bit more money off it.

Now, on Unions, Schmitz is a strong believer in them, and worker's rights, we have strong respect for getting a fair wage, fair trade deals and fair working conditions, we don't care for some handful corrupt union bosses, but we do greatly care for the great union workers. The democrats make good claim for this, but they themselves are fine in degrading, white-working class neighbourhoods, with a flood of criminals, and infest it with drugs and crimes, when before they were just struggling to pay the bills, now they have to worry for their children and their families. The republicans, are horrible on this as well, they claim to oppose busing, but Nixon is not strong on this issue, he will go on either way in where the washington-wind blows, Schmitz is the only one that is strong on helping workers and unions.

With that, we still haven't got to the worst of Washington and their plutocracy, Busing, the idea that you can send and ship poor struggling families, from their schools to send them to a school that seems foreign to them, and is miles away, what kind of ideal is this, I say no to this, Schmitz will say no to this, we will protect you and your children's, by tackling crime-ridden neighborhoods, waging a war against drugs, and making sure Busing and forced-integration is banned, so then only can the spirits of the working man, the middle-class man, the southern man be filed in a new dawn for this nation, a dawn of the people, not the dawn of a handful of rich politicians.

We are leading a fight for the people, a fight for populism, just as great men such as Jefferson and Jackson did before us, fighting for an America controlled by the people not just the industrialists and the monetary interests.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1169 on: March 13, 2016, 12:08:37 PM »

Lumine do you plan on having a VP debate?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1170 on: March 13, 2016, 12:31:16 PM »

Yes, the rules say we have one scheduled for turn 5.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1171 on: March 13, 2016, 12:33:26 PM »

Yes, the rules say we have one scheduled for turn 5.
This is ending tonight, correct
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1172 on: March 13, 2016, 12:44:52 PM »

Yes, eight hours from now.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1173 on: March 13, 2016, 09:27:04 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2016, 09:42:40 PM by Lumine »

Turn Twenty: Fear and Loathing in Dixieland:
September 23rd to September 30th, 1972

In the News!

Wallace endorses Schmitz!
GOP and Dems in disarray in the South, Schmitz/Rarick continue their unexpected rise

Anti-Busing Amendment introduced in the House:
While it will take months for the measure to be debated and voted, the measure brings support from conservative Democrats and Republicans

WIC Program passed by the House:
With a 342-34 vote by the House of Representatives, the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children is made law

Gallup: 1972 Presidential Election:

Richard Nixon/Sam Yorty: 46% (-3) (267 EV)
Ed Muskie/Birch Bayh: 41% (-2) (121 EV)
John Schmitz/John Rarick: 10% (+4) (38 EV)
Undecided: 3% (+1) (112 EV)

For political pundits, the past week of September was nothing short of a blessing. Coming out of the month with Muskie desperately trying to narrow the gap (and succeeding in stabilizing around Humphrey in 68' numbers) and Schmitz gaining and losing on account of his spirited campaign, all of the three major campaigns realized full well that the stakes were rising higher and higher, for a solid base for October and the final debates was crucial in order to succeed. And sure enough, all of the three stepped their game and brought forward the big guns (in all seriousness, I'm proud of all of you, this was the best turn to read and grade of the GE)

Entering the fray more organized and enthusiastic than ever was Congressman Schmitz, a man whose appeal has proven unexpectedly lasting (for a man disowned by his own party a few months ago). Despite media criticism of the Schmitz campaign apparently exaggerating the number of their crowds (because let's face it, CC, you give numbers that seem way out of line at times) and his penchant for making charges of communism (such as a much derided radio ad on Yorty's record), his campaign is not only more efficient in terms of sending out endorsers and mobilizing conservative and law and order voters, but has decided to fully exploit the issue of busing. Indeed, despite earlier legislative initiatives by Schmitz being a failure, the proposed amendment on busing has enjoyed immediate support from anti-busing politicians like Rep. Louise Day Hicks (D-MA), even if they personally support their respective nominee. While polling on the issue is not altogether clear, the issue has proven sensitive and a political winner despite the Schmitz's ticket almost leaning towards segregationism (an issue still not clear).

Often attacked by a lack of coordination, the GOP went to war once again with a much improved performance (even brave in a sense). Sensing busing to be an issue that could cost votes, both Nixon and Yorty took the stage to address the issue, Nixon from the moderate point of view in the Northern states, and Yorty through the bold step of moving through the South. While Nixon's performance was considered decent (partly because voters don't see him as against busing as he claims to be), it was Yorty who won the most praise from the GOP and the voters themselves, as it was perceived that the Mayor had finally found his voice and the charisma that had propelled him to the center of the Democratic Primary. Countering on busing and relentlessly attacking Muskie's character (with TV ads being particularly effective, especially the appearance of beloved Mamie Eisenhower), it seemed Nixon was about to widen the gap.

Ever the challengers, Muskie and Bayh went out to the swing states in hope, with mixed results. Much like the GOP, it was widely considered that Senator Bayh had been considerably more effective than Senator Muskie, with the VP candidate hitting the right notes on employment, law and order and social policies. Muskie scored some hits of his own ("Yorty was always with Nixon", "Where is Nixon's plan?") by entering the fray against a Nixon seen less trustworthy than before, yet not fully countering the attacks on his character made by the GOP. And whereas ad advertising and surrogates proved effective in the Democratic ticket's performance, a faux pas was committed when a good deal of resources were spent in Texas for the end of the Vietnam War, ultimately backfiring as the state remains hawkish (although evidently not as much as the South).

And yet, the old adage that events in politics are unpredictable played its hand once again. Whereas the narrative of the week had seemed more or less clear before, the game changed its setting once again with a game changer from Alabama: the return of popular Governor George Wallace, who after running a campaign of his own and endorsing Yorty (a crucial factor for the Mayor's delegate wall) gave a powerful speech to endorse the Schmitz/Rarick ticket, allowing them to truly claim the mantle of being the heir to the Wallace 68' efforts. With undecided voters reduced to the minimum and the Democrats already heavily decimated in the South (and taking further losses still), it fell to the Republicans to take most of the punishment as Wallace and busing dominated the media cycle, negating Yorty's masterful performance in the South and turning into the equivalent of a political earthquake across the region, entire states changing sides (most notably Wallace's Alabama).

As September reaches its end, will 1972 prove to be a similar repeat of the 1968 drama?

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1174 on: March 13, 2016, 09:32:55 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2016, 09:34:28 PM by Lumine »

Also, I think a reward is in order for all of you, seeing the level of effort so far (and how amusing this election cycle has been for me personally). Here's a map that shows the rough state of the race by September 23rd, with the caveat that this still has the 3% difference turned on (meaning any of you could have between -3 to +3 of the rough percentages show here). I hope you'll enjoy it!

NOTE: Percentages do not consider "safe" or "lean", they are meant to show at which bracket (30%, 40%, 50%, etc) the candidate is technically ahead in that particular state.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies