Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:15:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 51
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)  (Read 107403 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: October 26, 2015, 09:19:14 PM »

Congratulations to all of you!

Hosting this Democratic Primary was incredibly fun, it clearly took a lot of effort from all of you and it is sad to see a brilliant field reduced to one man. Alas, the nomination process is over, and in a stunning upset Ed Muskie managed to win the nomination that escaped him in OTL 1972, despite Sam Yorty's brilliant primary strategy (in all seriousness, I think Spiral was the one who played more tactically, taking an OTL fringe candidate into a more than plausible nominee).

So, what comes now?

YPestis has two choices now that we move into VP selection process. He can leave the decision to the delegates or choose a VP of his own (that I have to approve), which can either be played by him or by another player that he choses to hold that position. Anyone who has also played as a candidate in the Democratic primary can also run for VP to see if he gains delegate traction, but understand that it is a long shot against an appointed VP nominee. Either way, once YPestis has made a choice (hopefully) soon, I will bring the VP ballot results.

After that, both Muskie and his VP will give their nomination speeches, and I will give you a detailed analysis on the convention (the Democratic and the Independent one) along with potential bonuses and penalties gained by the players on those.

And then, the RNC!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1001 on: October 26, 2015, 09:19:46 PM »

Also, when are the rules for the General Election coming out?

#post1000

All in due time, I want the Convention Phase over first so some decisions can be taken by the players involved.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1002 on: October 26, 2015, 09:20:05 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2015, 09:47:40 PM by Barnes »

I would like to congratulate our nominee, Senator Muskie, and offer him my enthusiastic and unequivocal support in the race that is now before us.

At this historic convention, the culmination of a truly historic primary process, the Democratic Party has shown itself to be a paragon of debate and democratic principles.  We are not afraid to air our differences in public and we are not afraid to stand up for our beliefs.

It is crucial for us to now lead a united party towards victory this fall.  We have a nominee whose leadership, intelligence, compassion, and competence are well known and with him as our President, this country will once again be on the path of progress.

I would like to thank all of my supporters on this ballot for rallying to me in difficult circumstances.  I encourage you all to take your energy back to your homes and use it for the Democratic ticket this fall.

Thank you all!
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1003 on: October 26, 2015, 09:22:50 PM »

REPORT: YORTY DELEGATES WALK OUT OF CONVENTION

YORTY PREPARING STATEMENT . . . DEVELOPING
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1004 on: October 26, 2015, 09:41:59 PM »

Statement from Birch Bayh

I would like to offer my congratulations to Senator Muskie. I have absolute confidence that he will be able to unite the Democratic Party and lead us to victory in November. I have always respected Mayor Yorty, I just do not believe he is the best candidate to unite our party and win in November. Mayor Yorty has constantly rebuffed statements that he doesn't care about party unity - now it is time for him to put his words into action. I call on him to end the walkout and endorse Senator Muskie so that together, we can ensure President Nixon is a one-term president!
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #1005 on: October 26, 2015, 09:46:46 PM »

Fred Harris Speaks for Muskie

"I think the Democratic Party has a clear shot at the White House. Thanks to all for a great race and convention. Congratulations to Senator Muskie! He had a well fought campaign all along, and he's certainly electable! I urge all Democrats, be you Udall, Jackson, Wallace, or Yorty supporters to support this ticket in November. It's time for change, America, and that will only come from a strong, united party."
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1006 on: October 26, 2015, 10:09:55 PM »

McGovern Congratulates Muskie

I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate Senator Muskie on his nomination as our party's nominee for President! He has run an effective campaign and remained stalwart in his convictions. I hope in the next four years he will lead us to a time of peace abroad and justice at home.  He has my full support in all such efforts. Again many congratulations, and let's take back the White House!
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1007 on: October 26, 2015, 11:02:13 PM »

Mayor Yorty Addresses the Media (and the Nation)

Good evening.

After the last ballot's results came out earlier, two things are now clear. One, it is a tremendous victory for Senator Muskie, who's now the nominee. Two, it is a tremendous defeat for the American people. In the primaries, Democrats voted for a clean break from politics as usual. They knew the system was working against them, that the very top has been running things for years, and they acted out after years of neglect. Going into this convention, I was the voice for that change. Americans mobilized and my campaign had a tremendous delegate advantage, though we were just short of claiming the majority.

For all of those Americans who thought they were finally breaking through the system and were about to claim victory, reality hit them.

It was thanks to a grand conspiracy co-opted by the left-wing radical George McGovern and the opportunistic Birch Bayh that this Democratic National Convention ignored the voices of millions of voters who participated in the process. Who did they elevate to center stage? None other than Senator Edmund Sixtus Muskie, the epitome of the slimy Washington establishment. I cannot think of a bigger slap to the face than that. And if any of you came here anticipating an endorsement from me, I'm sorry to say that you'll be disappointed.

What we have seen here tonight is just the continuation of business as usual. This time, though, I won't stand for it any longer, and neither will millions of other good, hard-working people in this country. The Democrats have increasingly catered to elites and radicals alike while ignoring the middle man who brought them their success to begin with. They have taken for granted the plumber, the farmer, and the factory worker. My campaign was about bringing all of these people back into the discussion. Not only did I achieve that in the primaries, but we have also seen many disaffected voters showing up for the first time in years, knowing that they had a real choice. While we achieved much, all of our efforts were ultimately squashed by the party establishment desperate to stay in control.

I can no longer in good conscience tolerate that. For this reason, tonight, I am disavowing any and all ties I have with the Democratic Party. Many in the media will spin this as Yorty being sour and leaving the Democratic Party, but, in truth, the Democratic Party left me, as well as many others who think like I do. I encourage everyone who supported my campaign and what I stood for to take a good, hard look the situation, and they'll realize that the party doesn't care for them either. Why should you put up with an Ed Muskie? Don't! Send them a message and let them know that you're still here and you're no longer going to be taken for granted by anybody. If we can do that, if we can keep this national movement going, then we just may see change coming down the road after all.

As for what my plans for the future are now, well, all of that is up in the air. Thank you.

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1008 on: October 26, 2015, 11:23:49 PM »

@BirchBayh: Concerns were expressed during the campaign over how loyal Yorty was to the Democratic Party. Tonight he proved why he would have made a terrible nominee - his only loyalty is to himself.

(Twitter, you say? Bayh is a man ahead of the times Wink)
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1009 on: October 27, 2015, 05:25:00 PM »

Fred Harris Statement on Sam Yorty
"I'm saddened but not surprised that Sam Yorty has decided to leave the party. Early on in this campaign, I made it clear that Sam Yorty was no Democrat, and that's especially apparent today. He endorsed Nixon in 1960, and he's well on his way to endorsing him again. I ask, today, that supporters of Mayor Yorty recognize their importance in our party. Just because Sam Yorty left the Democratic Party certainly should not mean you leave. I ask, look at our record. We've always stood with the unions, the working man, the plumber, and the farmer. I know this fact quite well, which is why I'm a Democrat and always have been."
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1010 on: October 27, 2015, 05:53:09 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2016, 11:43:05 PM by Lumine »

VP Agnew to resign over bribery scandal!

To the outright shock of many in the Republican Party (and indeed, the nation), Vice-President Spiro Agnew (R-MD) announced today that he would be resigning the Vice-Presidency, having held the post for three years and a half after being selected by President Richard Nixon in 1968. The Department of Justice was tipped by an anonymous source that Mr. Agnew had accepted bribes as Governor of Maryland, and a swift and a throrough investigation confirmed the charges. Pressed to make a move due to the proximity of the Republican National Convention and perhaps due to the harm a prolonged struggle would do to President Nixon, Agnew chose to make his resignation effective as soon as possible, ending a promising political career as a conservative darling just as quickly as he had arisen to become Vice-President.

Though confined to the Vice-President, the scandal has taken a hit on Richard Nixon's image, and while he's still leading his Democratic challengers in tentative but not extensive polling taken during the DNC, insiders said the distance has narrowed somewhat (mind you, all of this is supposed to be happening in the span of few days, so Muskie is not technically the nominee here). From the purely administrative side, this leaves the immediate line of succession on the hands of Speaker Carl Albert (D-OK), President Pro Tempore of the Senate Allen J. Ellender (D-LA) and the recently sworn in Secretary of the Treasury George P. Shultz.

On the political side, a lot of speculation has been going on, some arguing Nixon will nominate a VP to serve the remainder of the term (some sort of elder statesman that the Democrats will vote for in the Senate) and a VP at the Convention for a potential next term, others arguing a full VP should be chosen. In any case, several individuals have been proposed by prominent GOP offices, like Senator Barry Goldwater (R-AZ), former Governor William Scranton (R-PA), Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare Elliot Richardson (R-MA), Governor Nelson Rockefeller (R-NY), former Secretary of the Treasury John Connally (D-TX) and even Senator Edward Brooke (R-MA). While the RNC will be the place to see in full force, former Agnew supporters are rumored to be considering a draft movement to give the Vice-Presidency to California Governor Ronald Reagan (R-CA).
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1011 on: October 27, 2015, 06:00:52 PM »

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1012 on: October 28, 2015, 07:10:57 PM »

Gentlemen,

I seem to have developed something resembling a breakdown (which led to a pretty unpleasant night), so I will be undergoing a couple of medical tests while taking a few days off for things that are not the absolute priority (everything except college, so to speak).

The timeline is put on hold for a few days, but Muskie's selected choice (whom I have approved via PM) is going to pass the convention anyway, so I invite Muskie and his VP to post their speeches to get things moving.

I'll see you in a few days! (three, four, not so sure right now)
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1013 on: October 28, 2015, 07:15:34 PM »

Oh dear!

I do hope you get better soon Lumine; my thoughts are with you. Feel no rush to update the timeline, your health is the first priority.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1014 on: October 28, 2015, 07:36:24 PM »

Oh dear!

I do hope you get better soon Lumine; my thoughts are with you. Feel no rush to update the timeline, your health is the first priority.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1015 on: October 28, 2015, 08:14:57 PM »

Yikes! Sorry to hear about that and I'm hoping you get better soon.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #1016 on: October 28, 2015, 10:49:36 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2015, 11:16:38 PM by YPestis25 »

Oh dear!

Ed Muskie Nomination Acceptance Speech

Thank you! Thank you all very much! Mr. Chairman, delegates, I accept your nomination for the Presidency of the United States! These past few days there has been a level of name calling and insinuation almost unprecedented in the history of this great party. Honorable men, men I deeply respect, men who would make some of the finest commanders in chief in this party, have been slandered. Faithful husbands, and fathers, and sons have had their motives questions and their patriotism called into doubt. It is past time that we put aside these vile insults, and unite to continue the legacy of Roosevelt and Truman, and of Kennedy and Johnson.

This November, each and everyone of you, Democrat and Republican, northerner and southerner, black and white, have a choice. We can either look forward to a brighter future, one where each American has a fair shake, one where we can set aside our differences and unite to build a better America for our children and our grandchildren, and not be bogged down in the petty disputes of yesterday. A future I which government is the servant of the people and not the master. A future in which that horrid quagmire in Southeast Asia is brought to a swift end. A future in which every American can look up, and in the words of Lincoln say that we are, “the last, best, hope of mankind.”

We must all stand firm in the defense of the New Deal, and the Great Society. These are the cornerstones of the American dream, and we cannot let them be torn down by a party which is becoming more and more reactionary by the day. Your access to quality healthcare and education should not vary based upon where you live. Students in Bismark should have the same opportunities are children in Atlanta. Patients in San Antonio should have the access to the same care as patients in Seattle.

And while we have won the battle for civil rights, we can never waver in the support of the bills which finally began to resolve one of the great stains upon American history. We must be ever vigilant for a relapse into the discriminatory practices, be they de jure or de facto, which have plagued all corners of this nation.

We have a challenge ahead of us this November, but together we can overcome it. Together we can take back the White House, but all across this nation we will need your help. Go out and vote, go out and bring new folks into our political process, go out and participate, and we will put the Oval Office back in Democratic hands this November. And now, let me present to you the next Vice-President of the United States, Senator Birch Bayh!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1017 on: October 28, 2015, 10:51:24 PM »

Birch Bayh Accepts the Democratic Vice Presidential Nomination

Good Evening, delegates, Democrats...my fellow Americans.

Tonight, I am humbled and honored to accept the Democratic nomination for Vice President of the United States.

Tonight, I pledge to you: for every American trying to do the right thing, struggling to make ends meet under the perils of the Nixon economy and uncertainty oversees...Ed Muskie and I are here to fight for you, to fight for the American dream, to fight for a better tomorrow.

Several days ago, we arrived in Miami, gridlocked and divided. Tonight we stand united and focused, committed to spread our message to the American people of hope, prosperity and strong leadership. It is an honor to do so alongside Senator Ed Muskie, the next President of the United States!

During my time in Washington, I've never seen a time when Washington has watched so many hard-working Americans get knocked down and not do anything to help them back on their feet. When I speak with families in my home state of Indiana, I hear the struggles so many families are having, the difficult conversations happening around kitchen tables throughout our nations.

Americans need a champion in the White House. Americans need a president who believes in opportunity and a positive vision for America, not a president who operates in crisis-management without a strong vision for our future.

I believe in America. I believe in the American people. And I believe that Senator Ed Muskie is the man who will right this ship and bring a new era of leadership in Washington.

Senator Muskie and I have been champions in Congress for the American worker, for our youth, for our minority populations who have not had their voice heard. We need a president who will be a champion for ALL Americans. Americans are tired of talking-points and speeches with no meaning. Americans are ready for a team that gets things done, that will fight for them every day. That is what Senator Muskie and I will fight for every day!

This campaign is going to focus on you, the American people. Those who don't care about the party politics, just want a president who will be their champion. Senator Muskie will be that champion. Senator Muskie will be the champion of our brave soldiers abroad, those who need a president with solutions, not a continued lack of leadership. Senator Muskie will be a champion for the working class, those who continue to pay too much in taxes and get too little in return.

My fellow Americans, we have an opportunity to reject the partisanship and drama that has plagued our party through the course of this primary process. An opportunity to unite as a party, focused and ready on ensuring that President Richard Nixon is a one-term president!

I believe in America. I believe in you. I believe...I know, that together, we will unite this party, win this November and unleash the dreams of so many Americans! Tonight I humbly ask for your support and your vote for the ticket of Ed Muskie and Birch Bayh. Thank you, God Bless all of you, and God Bless this great nation!

Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1018 on: October 29, 2015, 05:47:50 AM »

Hope you feel better my friend and get well soon!!!!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1019 on: November 01, 2015, 08:10:11 PM »

Thank you, gentlemen, I really appreciate it!

Some pretty good speeches from Tmth and YPestis as well, making the DNC all but finished.

As of today I'm feeling a lot better, but it will take some time for me to post on a regular basis (just this, PM's and some Atlasia related votes). I'd say Tuesday/Wednesday at the absolute earliest for me to retake the game, the end of the weekend the latest barring unforseen circumstances.

Now, we are moving towards the general election, so I'm leaving it open for additional candidates to join in via PM as requests. Mind you, I'm trying to enforce a plausible scenario whenever possible, so I will be very strict in which candidates to accept (not a third party McGovern, for example, as he endorsed Muskie, or a candidate who is too similar to Schmitz as those votes are already there).

Also, we have a Democratic team and a Republican team in progress, so Schmitz (Classic Conservative) can choose whether to recruit another player to be John Rarick or play as both of them. It's his choice.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1020 on: November 01, 2015, 11:39:19 PM »

Good to see you're getting better! Take as much time as you need.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1021 on: November 02, 2015, 09:09:31 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2015, 11:03:41 PM by Kingpoleon »

Could I run as Eugene McCarthy as an Independent? He'll ask for the Libertarian nod, the People's nod, and anything else which might accept him.

Ed Clark for the Libertarian Vice Presidential Nomination, Benjamin Spock for the People's. If I could, Progressive/Democratic Bronson La Follette of Wisconsin, Liberal George Counts of New York, Independent Ed Clark of California, and Independent Ernie Chambers of Nebraska.

My official running mate will be George Counts or Ed Clark or whoever both parties can agree to nominate.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #1022 on: November 04, 2015, 05:16:17 PM »

Good to have you back Lumine. As Spiral said, take as much time as you need.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1023 on: November 04, 2015, 05:21:59 PM »

Glad to have you back! Smiley
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1024 on: January 31, 2016, 08:52:34 PM »

Fear & Loathing is Back!

After recovering from my breakdown I had the impression too much time had passed for the game to be restored and I was sure the players had lost interest, but as it seems, there's enough enthusiasm for Fear and Loathing in 72' to actually stage a comeback. Four of the remaining five players have confirmed they return (I'm still waiting on Tmthforu), and with that in mind I have decided to bring back the game.

Where did we left?

On Turn Sixteen, the Democratic National Convention, which nominated Senators Ed Muskie and Birch Bayn, as Sam Yorty and his supporters staged a chaotic walkout in protest. At the same time, a convention of conservatives and independents nominated John Schmitz and John Rarick as an independent ticket for the General Election, and Vice-President Spiro Agnew was forced to resign over a bribery scandal, leaving Nixon the dilemma of appointing a VP before Congress and choosing a new VP for the RNC.

How do we move forward?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Once this is sorted out, I will post the rules and gameplay of the General Election, which I am writing as we speak. We will have a preparation phase in which I will ask for slogans, issues, themes, targets and so on, and then we will play, tentatively five turns (hopefully a month or so) and then a simulation of Election Night 1972.

In the meantime, I will also accept further candidates, but I will restrict them to be fair to the veteran players and to be realistic. George Wallace and Ted Kennedy will not run, for example, but don't be afraid of picking candidates outside the box. Alternatively, new players can also play as surrogates for the main candidates, campaiging through the country to increase the momentum points (a new system we will implement) of their respective nominee.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies