Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:40:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 51
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)  (Read 107478 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #975 on: October 25, 2015, 02:51:22 PM »

Statement from Birch Bayh
Senator Fred Harris represents the best of America - Fred truly exhibits the characteristics of what a public servant should look like. He has been a champion for the working class and ran an honorable campaign. I have enjoyed working with him in the United States Senate and look forward to continue working with him as our party unites to ensure that Richard Nixon is a one-term president.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #976 on: October 25, 2015, 03:04:30 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2015, 03:49:09 PM by Kingpoleon »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

MO UDALL CONCEDES RACE; FIRST ELECTORAL DEFEAT

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #977 on: October 25, 2015, 03:07:45 PM »

OOC: It is hard to say you didn't agree to this beforehand when you're literally quoting a PM he sent you with the text.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #978 on: October 25, 2015, 03:50:36 PM »

OOC: It is hard to say you didn't agree to this beforehand when you're literally quoting a PM he sent you with the text.
OOC: I did that on accident, but I PM'd him after the last ballot and sent it then for him to look over. To be clear: I sent it after the rumors. I'm nice and decided to let Muskie tell the truth.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #979 on: October 25, 2015, 04:07:40 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2015, 04:48:20 PM by Speaker NeverAgain »

McGovern Press Conference -

"First, I would like to congratulate Mo Udall on his years of service to this country as he departs this race.  And from what I hear, I suppose I should also congratulate him on his VP bid with Sam Yorty.  His recent change of heart from his previous endorsement of me to now endorsing Sam Yorty in no way changes my respect for his past service.  It does, however, raise the spectrum of motive behind his alliance with Sam Yorty - particularly as the Congressman calls for party unity.  There are few people that have preached unity less than Sam Yorty."

"As for the claims of extremism that Congressman Udall and Mayor Yorty have made against me:  it is impossible for me to see how a platform that is endorsed and supported by the majority of Americans can be described as "extreme" . . . if it's extreme to want to end the slaughter in Vietnam, if it's extreme to want equal rights for all, if it's extreme to want fair pay for fair work, then by all means call me an extremist, but also call me an American, because these are the American ideals."

"I have heard pundits criticize me for not being negative toward my fellow candidates.  Will we Democrats never learn?  Spreading rumors, unfairly attacking candidates, these are tactics right out of the Republican playbook.  The American people want to hear about issues and solutions, they want to know what we're going to do to help them . . . they don't want to hear squabbling about minutia that doesn't impact their lives.  I don't run negative campaigns - America is about hope, and so is my campaign."

"I have been asked by both Senator Muskie and Senator Harris for my endorsement.  Perhaps they have not heard:  I too am running for President.  I respect both of them enormously, but am focusing on my own campaign."

"Tonight we were engaged in the 4th ballot of our National Convention.  You are being asked to vote in this crucial decision.  There has been much discussion of electability.  As people discuss electability, they forget that anyone who represents the ideals and issues of the American people is by definition electable.  A point or 2 in a poll does not define electable.  The American people want to elect someone who knows and understands their issue, someone who believes in them and their moral capacity, someone who will fight FOR them.  I believe that someone is me, and I am asking for your vote tonight and next November."

"God Bless America!  God Bless this Convention!  and God Bless all those whose lives are in harm's way in service to this Nation!"
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #980 on: October 25, 2015, 04:11:54 PM »

Kingpoleon has it right. He showed me his draft and then asked for me to resend it because I presume he doesn't save his own messages.

Sam Yorty on Mo Udall Endorsement

I thank Congressman Udall for his endorsement. We obviously have our disagreements as the primaries have made clear, but we're both united in wanting a convention of ideas and transparency. I hope that we can all soon unite and focus on winning the general election.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #981 on: October 25, 2015, 05:29:00 PM »

This ends in a couple of minutes correct?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #982 on: October 25, 2015, 06:29:12 PM »

This ends in a couple of minutes correct?

It is over now. Results will be in shortly, I think it might be a close run thing.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #983 on: October 25, 2015, 06:40:18 PM »

DNC, Press Room

While the heated situation at the DNC was defused to a point by the hours before the Fourth Ballot, a growing sense of distrust had set in at the Convention, as the point had been reach in which the ballot number of 1952 had been surpassed. It was at this crucial moment and perhaps feeling the pressure of the media to have a nominee that several candidates and delegations decided to drop out or reassign their votes. Mo Udall was the first to go, derided over his Yorty endorsement and denounced once again as he tried to denounce the media for the "deal" story. It did not help that the Congressman was rumoured to doing background checks on his delegates to keep them in line, hurting his image as he left the stage.

Fred Harris was the surprise, as it was thought the damage made to his campaign could still be restored with a strong effort. But to the surprise of the convention, Harris released his delegates towards Birch Bayh, whose momentum grew large enough for the Senator to be considered a likely choice for second place in the upcoming ballot. Alas, he did not count on new efforts by Senator Muskie and Senator McGovern, the first finding room to grow among several Harris delegates and the second restoring confidence in his campaigns to stage a comeback from his past losses. It was minutes before the end of the ballot that Senator Stevenson acknowledged his campaign was going nowhere, leading Mayor Daley to instruct his delegates to back Mayor Yorty. As a result, the ballot left a pretty interesting scenario...

DNC 1972, Fourth Ballot:

(1517 votes needed for nomination)

Sam Yorty: 1421 (46.86%)
Edmund Muskie: 644 (21.24%)
Birch Bayh: 519 (17.11%)
George McGovern: 468 (15.43%)
Ted Kennedy: 1

As you can see, we have reached the breaking point at this convention. With the number of candidates severely reduced by now, Yorty continues to inch towards that much wanted goal of 1517 delegates, now needing just over a hundred to make his goal. Close as he is, time will not act as his friend, because a failure to reach the goal after being so close over too many future ballots could cripple him if not handled properly. On the liberal side of the party, delegates now have three clear choices in Muskie, Bayh and McGovern, who can technically still block Yorty yet don't seem likely to win by themselves on account of the large number of conservative delegates. Backroom deals, is believed, might be the key to break a potential deadlock, because new actors might jump in if it takes too long to resolve...
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #984 on: October 25, 2015, 06:42:54 PM »

Fifth Ballot coming up in 20 hours.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #985 on: October 25, 2015, 09:12:58 PM »

(OOC: My previous character, Shirley Chisholm, remains fully committed to McGovern.)

JACKSON ENTERS DEMOCRATIC RACE BEFORE FIFTH BALLOT!

Miami Beach -- Washington Senator Henry "Scoop" Jackson announced an insurgent campaign for the deadlocked Democratic Nomination before the fifth ballot.

Speaking at a press conference outside of the Miami Beach Convention Center, Senator Jackson's comments were as follows:

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #986 on: October 26, 2015, 12:47:34 AM »

Jackson speech to delegates and supporters outside of the convention hall.

Mayor Yorty has shown his inability to bring this party together.  By his backroom dealing, he has tarnished his own message of being a candidate to restore order to America.  This convention cannot become so divided as to let Mayor Yorty become our standard bearer through the back door.

We must nominate a candidate who can unite this party as well as unite this country.  We have to be frank with ourselves: this convention is about finding a candidate who can lead our party and defeat Richard Nixon.  Any claim that Mayor Yorty had to that title has now be totally tarnished. 

In order to lead the war in Vietnam and restore America's moral leadership at both home and abroad, we need a candidate and a President who can command the trust and faith of Americans, and Mayor Yorty has shown himself to not be that candidate.

Our candidate needs to be a man who is dedicated to the Democratic Party in good times and in bad, through our many campaigns.  We do not need a latter-day Democrat as our nominee.

Our candidate needs to be a man that has an unwavering commitment to labor and the rights of unions.  We must have a champion for the rights of working class Americans in the White House.

Our candidate needs to be a man with a heart planted firmly in what is best about the Democratic Party: our compassion and our strength.  Our compassion for the poor, the young, the old, and the sick; our strength in foreign affairs and in economic leadership.  We will show our leadership in our ability to care for our citizens at home and fight for our vision abroad.

It is time for this convention to unite around a candidate that can bring our party together, and that starts with you!  Thank you!
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #987 on: October 26, 2015, 02:30:34 PM »

Sam Yorty Press Conference

Speaking to a packed room of reporters in Miami Beach outside the convention hall, Mayor Yorty takes questions:

REPORTER: Mayor Yorty, your delegate count far surpasses all of your other opponents, but you've stayed around 45% of the vote after four ballots now. How can you get that 5% and become the nominee?
YORTY: Well, I'm glad you asked that question. If you look at the movement for all the candidates, you can see that I have actually been gaining in delegates over the last few ballots, and I'm now in a better position than ever for the nomination. Now, you're right, we've got a little extra work to do. There's still a lot of uncertainty around, and I understand that. What I'm going to do is appeal directly to my fellow Democrats and ask them this: Despite whom you may agree with the most, which one of us best shows strength? Which one of us is battle-tested and ready for the general election? Which one of us will rally voters and bring us victory? When you look at how the primary season has gone, it's clear that I'm the only one who has shown all of that. I'm ready to rumble, and I'd like to be the Democratic nominee.

REPORTER: But some people in the party are voicing that you may become crippled soon if you can't get that majority.
YORTY: I don't spend every waking second of my day concerned about what what a couple of anonymous folks say about my chances. If there was something grave to worry about for me right now, then I would have been going down with each ballot cast, but I've only been gaining so far. Like I said, though, I'm fighting for the nomination and I'll stay until the very end. My team and I have been rallying delegates on the floor to convince them why I'm the best candidate for the party. We're more invigorated than ever after getting Mayor Daley's support, so it's clear that we're on the right path.

REPORTER: Mayor, are you worried that the late entries like Senator Bayh or Senator Jackson might stop you from becoming the nominee?
YORTY: I'm not focused too much on those gentlemen right now. They can do what they want to, but I'm squarely focused on making my case to the party and why I'm the best candidate for the general election. I was a little surprised to see Senator Jackson jump in, actually; we share much in common and it looks like he's trying to get my votes. However, I should note this about both Senator Jackson and Senator Bayh: they're untested. They can say that they've had great electoral success in their respective states, and that's good, but we're talking about a grueling national campaign that spans months and goes from east to west. These two have skipped the primary process and have had no experience dealing with that. Say what you want about Senator Muskie and Senator McGovern, but they have gone through it and know what to expect. How do we know that these two would be ready to compete against President Nixon with their last-minute bids? That's something that the delegates should keep in mind when they're voting for their nominee.

REPORTER: Can you win against the President when you're already 11 points behind?
YORTY: I've been waiting for this question. *laughs* Look, when you have had every single opponent of yours left and right pummel you since January until now, calling you "dangerous," "unelectable," and a "demagogue," why wouldn't you expect that you would be 11 points down? I've had to go through a lot to get where I am today, but I stand proud in knowing that despite all of these relentless attacks on myself, I'm leading in delegates by far and I'm close to the nomination. We've done so much already, but there's more work to be done. The American people have gotten a distorted view of Sam Yorty. Once they see me up close and personal on the campaign trail, those numbers will change quickly. They'll see that they have a real choice in their next president, and they'll vote for a change.

[. . .]

YORTY: Well, folks, I've gotta go now, but it's been a pleasure answering some of your questions. Time to shake some more hands at the convention!
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #988 on: October 26, 2015, 03:42:35 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2015, 04:06:24 PM by YPestis25 »

Muskie Speech to Delegates

"This balloting process has gone on for too long. Once again I come before you to call once again for party unity. We cannot nominate a candidate who will tear this party apart, in a spectacle worse than the convention of 1968. We must resolve to nominate a candidate who will end this disastrous war in Vietnam. We must resolve to nominate a candidate who will not undo the hard fought gains of the civil rights. We must resolve to nominate a candidate who can take back the Oval Office for the Democratic Party. This convention is more than just about the future of the party, this is about the future of America. We owe it to America to nominate a candidate who will right the course of our nation, to stand solidly for the legacy of Roosevelt and Truman, and of Kennedy and Wilson. Not a candidate who would make some of these venerable men turn in their graves. We can either give in to our baser instincts of fear and hatred or we can rise above those. We can become the party of hope and optimism, or we can outline time and time again what is wrong with America, without offering solutions. Join with me delegates, in a stand against demagoguery. Join me for a candidate who stands for the values of everyday Americans. Join me for a brighter America."
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #989 on: October 26, 2015, 04:16:15 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2015, 04:17:50 PM by All In For The Royals »

Birch Bayh Press Conference

Senator Bayh, speaking to reporters outside of the convention center

The next ballot is expected to happen any time. I want to thank everyone for their continued support. At this point, it is becoming increasingly important that the Democratic Party quickly unites to defeat President Nixon in November. I remain committed to our efforts - we have the momentum, as more and more delegates are joining our side to try and find consensus at the convention.

Reporter: Senator Bayh, Mayor Yorty is arguing that you're untested. What do you make of that?
Mayor Yorty continues to run a divisive campaign - his strategy for winning this convention is to cut backroom deals and tear down his opponent. I'm tested because in contrast of the Mayor's conservative tendencies, particularly his endorsement of President Nixon, I've been a champion for progressive values in the Senate for years. On day one I will be ready to fight for all Americans, and that above all else is what is needed in our next president, not another power-grabbing politician. Sam Yorty claims to be a maverick and an outsider, yet he's the one in backrooms of the convention cutting deals and promising the Vice Presidency to the highest bidder. I won't stand for it.

Reporter: Would you say Mayor Yorty is the man to beat for the nomination?
In terms of delegate count? Sure. But one thing I'm gathering from this convention is that there are serious concerns with Mayor Yorty's electability and his seemingly lack of desire to bring about party unity. It's not just coming from certain delegations or candidates - it is across the board. If he can't unite everyone here at the convention, how does he expect to unite our country?

Reporter: Senator, what has been your strategy this round?
I believe in retail politics. Sure, we've run newspaper and radio advertisements touting our candidacy, but this election is about improving the lives of a wide spectrum of Americans. I'm going to win this nomination, and the White House, because here in Miami and across the nation, I'm ready to talk to folks, hear their problems, and work to find solutions. We need a president who will come to the table with solutions, not more politics as usual.

Thank you for your questions.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #990 on: October 26, 2015, 06:31:04 PM »

McGovern Concedes -

I have just sent a telegram to Senator Muskie, congratulating him on a fine campaign and promising him my full endorsement for President of the United States!  I let him know that I hope in the next four years he will lead us to a time of peace abroad and justice at home.  He has my full support in all such efforts.

It hurts all of us in this auditorium as well as many others across the country to have to withdraw from such an important enterprise' but rather than shedding any tears tonight, we instead focus on the great joy this campaign has brought us over the past two years.

There can be no question that we have pushed this country in the direction of peace, and I think each one of us loves the title of peacemaker more than any office in the land.  We will press on with that effort until the bloodshed and all the sorrow have ended once and for all.

Cries of sorrow flow from the crowd -

I know I speak for us all when I say that we love this country and will continue to beckon it to a higher standard.  So I ask you to stand with your convictions.  I ask you not to despair of the political process of this country, because that process has yielded too much valuable improvement in these past two years.  The Democratic party will be a better party because of the reforms that we have carried out.  The nation will be better because we never once gave up the long battle to renew its oldest ideals and to redirect its current energies along more humane and hopeful paths.

I thank each and every one of you for your hard work, your ideals, and - most importantly - your faith in me.  I am a better person for having worked with each of you and consider myself among the luckiest men in the world.  Thank you - and God Bless America!

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #991 on: October 26, 2015, 06:39:34 PM »

Birch Bayh Addresses DNC Convention

Good Evening,

It has been a privilege to get to know so many of you over the past few days. The level of kindness so many of you showed is something my family will never forget.

Our party remains divided as uncertainty looms in the days ahead. I have said that the importance of this election isn't the promotion of a certain candidate, rather, the promotion of the Democratic Party and the ideas and values we stand for.

Looking ahead, our party must begin to rally behind a nominee. A nominee that is a champion of progressive values, a champion of the working class, a champion of the many Americans struggling paycheck to paycheck under the perils of the Nixon economy.

We need a nominee who can unite the Democratic Party. A nominee who stands with conviction and has strong morals. A nominee who will defeat President Nixon in November.

Throughout this convention I have been able to have conversations with all of the remaining candidates, including frontrunners Ed Muskie and Sam Yorty. I've paid attention to their behavior, listened to their speeches, and had meaningful dialogues about the future of this party and this nation.

With everything in mind, it is important that now, more than ever, we unite as a party. And because of this, I am announcing this evening that I am formally ending my bid for the Democratic nomination and endorsing the man who will be our next nominee and the next President of the United States, Ed Muskie!

I urge all delegates, regardless of who you previously supported, to unite behind a man that is a fighter. A man with strong principles and convictions. A man ready to lead. At this point, we cannot risk the effects of a Sam Yorty nomination - Americans are tired of politics as usual, and by selling away the Vice Presidential slot to the highest bidder, Congressman Udall, Mayor Yorty showed his true colors. I don't like the idea of our next Vice President being selected in the backrooms of the DNC and neither should you! I have reached out to delegates who have previously supported me and strongly encouraged them to vote for Senator Muskie on the fifth ballot.

Together we will come together as a party, stronger than ever, and head into the general election ready to make President Richard Nixon a one-term president! And we will do so under the bold, courageous leadership of Senator Ed Muskie!

Thank you, God Bless all of you, and God Bless America!
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #992 on: October 26, 2015, 06:44:50 PM »

Statement from the Muskie Campaign

We would like to think both Senator McGovern and Senator Bayh for their endorsements. They are personal friends of mine and I am incredibly grateful for their endorsements.  I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #993 on: October 26, 2015, 06:49:00 PM »

#plot #twist #plottwist
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #994 on: October 26, 2015, 07:08:23 PM »

Fred Harris Statement
"I'm glad to see a united party moving forward to defeat the threat of demagoguery."
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #995 on: October 26, 2015, 08:30:47 PM »

Results in half and hour.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #996 on: October 26, 2015, 09:07:08 PM »

Eh?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #997 on: October 26, 2015, 09:13:22 PM »

DNC, Press Room

To many it was Yorty's moment, his clear shot at winning the nomination in one of the most hotly contested Conventions in recent times. But what should have been a swift victory unraveled in an unexpectedly quick way as the evening evolved, making the Fifth Ballot the final and decisive battle between Senator Muskie and Mayor Yorty. The first factor, of course, being the sudden entrance of Senator Henry "Scoop" Jackson, who severely hurt Yorty's chances by rallying many western and conservative delegates to his side.

The second, to widespreak shock from the media, was the unity of the opposition in nominating a single candidate. Against all odds, George McGovern and Birch Bayh deposed their bids to endorse Muskie and form a common front to fight Yorty and Jackson, riding a momentum wave that, coupled with excellent Muskie GOTV among delegates, forced a decision. Alas, not everything was about Muskie and Yorty, for many delegates still casted a symbolic vote for Ted Kennedy or join the ultimately strong Jackson effort.

And then, the Democratic Nominee was chosen.

DNC 1972, Fifth Ballot:

(1517 votes needed for nomination)

Edmund Muskie: 1554 (51.25%)
Sam Yorty: 1273 (41.98%)
Scoop Jackson: 187 (6.16%)
Ted Kennedy: 18

Ed Muskie wins the Democratic Nomination on the fifth ballot!

/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #998 on: October 26, 2015, 09:14:41 PM »

When will the RNC be?
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #999 on: October 26, 2015, 09:15:33 PM »

Also, when are the rules for the General Election coming out?

#post1000
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies