Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:24:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 51
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)  (Read 107402 times)
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: October 23, 2015, 10:05:12 PM »

This is awesome.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #951 on: October 23, 2015, 10:19:26 PM »

Fred Harris Presser

REPORTER: "What are your thoughts on the mudslinging of this convention?"
HARRIS: "I don't like it, and honestly I think it's a grand mistake. I think it's perfectly fine to dig into somebody's voting or endorsement record. Heck, when you have Democrats who vote for the war and Democrats who endorse Republicans for president, they need to be called out. However, after I backed off the deep attacks, I assumed my colleagues would too. I guess I was wrong. Mayor Yorty continued with mudslinging, and now others, presumably those with their own agendas, are hurling mud at him too. I say we step away from these tactics. That's how our party fell apart at the seams in 1968. Rumors, division, labels, and eventually violence. We do not want and frankly cannot afford another tumultuous convention that pulls the party apart. I plead, delegates, if you stand for a new politics free from mudslinging, beyond base personal attacks, stand with my campaign."

REPORTER: "What do you think about Birch Bayh?"
HARRIS: "Birch is a fantastic man with solid progressive credentials. I just think he's come in too late. The American people have gotten to see our plans and ideas, but he just hasn't been able to articulate those to the extent that the other candidates have."

REPORTER: "How much of a role should electability play into this convention?"
HARRIS: "No matter who our nominee is, I don't want and won't stand for another disastrous 4 years of Nixon. We need a candidate who can win a general election. Polling in the 30's is not acceptable because it doesn't even approach the margin of error. The unelectable candidates ought to shift support to those who can win. While electability is important, we still as Democrats need to stick up for our principles. We cannot waffle on the war in Vietnam or the ERA. We cannot abandon our brothers and sisters in the unions. Thus, I think delegates should look at the highest polling populist and support our campaign."
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #952 on: October 23, 2015, 10:37:59 PM »

George Smathers Statement

"After significant thought, I have come to the conclusion that, while our nation needs a Democratic nominee that beat Richard Nixon, I am not that candidate. However, seeing the weakness in the field, I can not abide and stay away from the decision process. Therefore, I believe my delegates, and my say, can move this electorate towards a candidate, and I believe the candidate that should lead our party is Birch Bayh. Senator Bayh stands for working families, those in poverty, those in dire need of good education, and the Soldiers in Vietnam who need a solution, not another Nixon delay. It's time we unite behind a nominee who can bring this nation together, rather than play right into President Nixon's divisive tactics."

(throwing another little surprise in here)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #953 on: October 23, 2015, 11:05:55 PM »

Statement from the Bayh Campaign:
We thank Florida Senator George Smathers for his endorsement. Senator Smathers is a good man who I learned a lot from during our time together in the United States Senate. He's a leader, someone who brings people together, who believes in unity, not division. Together, we will win this convention and bring a stronger, more unified Democratic Party.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #954 on: October 24, 2015, 02:56:07 PM »

How many hours left?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #955 on: October 24, 2015, 03:05:15 PM »

About five hours for third ballot.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #956 on: October 24, 2015, 03:16:29 PM »

How many ballots will there be, at most?

In other words, how much longer will the nominating process take?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #957 on: October 24, 2015, 03:34:03 PM »

How many ballots will there be, at most?

In other words, how much longer will the nominating process take?

Until we get a nominee, naturally. If it starts to take too long I will modify the gameplay and the ballots will come up more often with more unpredictability.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #958 on: October 24, 2015, 05:01:24 PM »

Bayh for President: Radio Advertisement

Substitute '76 with '72

The Bayh Campaign has released the following radio advertisement, which is set to run exclusively in Miami-Dade County until the end of the DNC.

Announcer: Birch Bayh, Senator from Indiana. Birch Bayh is a problem-solver. Birch Bayh is a champion of the middle-class and a progressive leader in the Senate. As President, Birch Bayh will unite our country and lead us into a time of hope and prosperity.

Delegates: Vote for Birch Bayh to be the Democratic Nominee and our next President.

Birch Bayh: I'm Birch Bayh, and I approve this message.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #959 on: October 24, 2015, 06:16:30 PM »

Sam Yorty Convention Speech: "Enough!"

The following remarks were given to the entire delegation of the DNC following the second ballot:

Mr. Chairman, and delegates of this convention, I'd like to speak to you directly tonight. Something here needs to be addressed.

It's clear that since we first walked into this convention, things have taken a turn for the worst. Instead of an open dialogue about the choices we face this election and the future of our country, what have we seen instead? Just the opposite. Instead of an honest, frank discussion about who our nominee should be and what they represent, we have turned to secret backroom banter that gets us nowhere and harms us all in the end. This is unacceptable.

Many of you know me as a fighter. I don't deny that. However, one thing I like to pride myself in is that I'm open about what I think and what I say. If I have a disagreement with you, I will say it to you directly. This is how a party should work: We should be open about our ideas, what we stand for, and work it out from there. A little fight is natural, but it should be done in the public eye. What's going on in this convention hall is totally different. Rather than being transparent, we've reached a point where some people are sniping at others behind closed doors, spreading vicious rumors and calling others nasty names. Is this how the Democratic Party should act like? Is this what we want to be known for in the general election? I say we can do better than that, and we must. If we don't, no matter who you're trying to bring down, you'll bring down yourself along the way.

I have been a victim of many of these attacks so far. There are men and women walking among us in this hall who have resorted to calling me "disgusting" and a "slob" behind closed doors. They want to tar and feather me, and they're desperate. Keep this in mind, though: Many of the ones who are calling me the divisive candidate are engaging in some of the nastiest and most divisive language I've heard in my career in years! No matter our differences, I have not and would never stoop so low. To whomever is behind these attacks, what does is say about you that you are willing to do that?

What I'd like to do is to speak directly to whoever is behind this. I know you're out here tonight and I know you're listening. By doing what you're doing, you have already disqualified yourself from being our party's nominee. By trashing your opponents personally and by spreading resentment, you've done nothing for your cause. The only thing you've shown to the entire nation is that you'll stop at nothing to get what you want, consequences be damned. For that, you should be ashamed of yourself. If you have any dignity in you, you'll reveal yourself and your crimes and apologize for what you've done in this convention.

As for the great majority of the delegates here, I know you disagree with what's been going on and you're disgusted by it, as you rightfully should be. What you need to do now is to stand up and say, "Enough!" If you know anyone here who has been spreading the insults, lies, and rumors, then speak up and let this entire convention here know who they are! If you're disgusted by dirty backroom politics, then prove we can do better and fight for transparency and accountability!

I know we'll squabble and I know we have fierce competition here. But, are we going to resort to our nastiest tendencies and do whatever it takes to come out on top? Are we going to condone blatant, unaccountable slander? We don't have to. We can prove we're different. Only then can the Democratic Party come out strong in July, then win in November. Thank you.

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #960 on: October 24, 2015, 06:35:12 PM »

Governor Smith: Bayh is the Answer

South Carolina Governor John C. West endorses Bayh for President

Our party has become more divided now than ever before. Disgusting smear campaigning is happening on the convention floor and candidates are attempting to make backroom deals and spread lies about their opponents. I've had enough. Other delegates have had enough. The American people have had enough.

This cannot go on much longer - our party is on track to create irreversible damage and hand another four years to Richard Nixon. Our country simply cannot afford that. It is time for our party to unite, it is time for our party to rally around one candidate.

Senator Birch Bayh has presented himself as a compromise candidate in this election. I have full confidence that he will make a terrific nominee and an even better president. At this point, I urge South Carolina delegates to cast their vote for Senator Bayh. I urge all delegates, regardless of where you may come from, to join me in uniting behind a man that is a leader and a reformer. A man with strong progressive values and will fight for all Americans. Under a President Birch Bayh, not only will the Democratic Party unite, but America will unite.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #961 on: October 24, 2015, 07:22:31 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2015, 07:26:22 PM by YPestis25 »

Ed Muskie Press Conference

Reporter: You are currently in second place overall in delegates. Do you think you have what it takes to win the nomination?

Muskie: Absolutely. Look, this convention is about the path that our party is going to take over the next four years. Will we turn so far to the right or left, that on one hand Nixon would view us as politically indistinguishable from himself, or on the other, to ostracize such a large percentage of the electorate that we as a party can no longer win national elections. I'm going to take a page out of Representative Udall's playbook here, I respect Mayor Yorty for his convictions, particularly in a party which is so often at odds with them, and I admire Senator McGovern for his idealism, however, neither McGovern nor Yorty can unite us  by November, and I believe that I am the only candidate who can.

Reporter: What do you make of Senator Bayh's entrance into the race?

Muskie: Senator Bayh is a colleague of mine, and I would whole heartily endorse him if he were to win the nomination. However, I do not believe that it is fair to the people of our party, for a candidate to jump into our nominating process who has not received a single vote, especially on such an early ballot. It is also rather risky for us as a party to nominate someone who has not been through this grueling primary season, or the media scrutiny to be our standard bearer.

Reporter: What do you think of the personal attacks on Mayor Yorty?

Muskie: I believe this kind of slanderous talk is absolutely despicable, and reflects badly on the party as a whole. I commend Mayor Yorty for his speech tonight, and would call on all of the declared candidates to keep this convention about ideas, and not who can think of the most clever insults.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #962 on: October 24, 2015, 07:43:37 PM »

Birch Bayh Addresses DNC Convention

Good Evening,

Delegates, it is an honor and a privilege to address you this evening.

Our party faces uncertain times. After a tumultuous campaign season, we arrived in Miami, gridlocked and divided. As the convention has progressed, that division has only grown, with candidates slinging mud and doing whatever they deem necessary to secure the nomination.

It is these actions, and the barrage of negative campaigning we saw over the last few months, that lead to me to this stage, to this moment, to address you all as a candidate for the Democratic nomination for President of the United States.

I was born in Terre Haute, Indiana, the son of a teacher and a basketball coach. I served in the military from 1946-48, and in 1952, met the love of my life, Marvella. We have one son, Evan, who is here with us tonight.

I began my career in public service at a young age, and for the past 10 years, I have had the privilege and honor of representing the Hoosier State in the United States Senate. I've never seen public service as a career, rather, an opportunity to better our communities, our states and our nation.

Within the United States Senate, I've been a champion for progressive values. I've had the opportunity to author two constitutional amendments, one that created a firm line of presidential succession and one to lower the voting age to 18, enfranchising millions of adults the opportunity to have a voice in the future of our nation.

I have been a champion in the senate for women's rights in the Senate, working with my good friend Teddy Kennedy, along with other senators, in authoring the Equal Rights Amendment. I also led the charge in establishing Title IX legislation. No other candidate has fought harder at ensuring that every American, regardless of gender, is given equal opportunities!

In the Senate, I have moved legislation through and gotten things done. Americans are tired of corrupt politicians who don't follow through on their campaign promises. As a senator, I have done what I set out to do, and as your president, we will restore America's promise!

Other candidates have focused their campaigns on each other, dividing the Democratic Party and furthering the liklihood of four more years of President Nixon. I'm not going to do that. I'm not going to focus on President Nixon - we all know that his policies have damaged our nation on all fronts. I'm not going to talk about my opponents at this convention, because while we have our differences, anyone at this convention would make a better president than the one we currently have.

I'm going to focus this campaign on you, the American people. Those who don't care about the party politics, just want a president who will be their champion. I will be that champion. I will be the champion of our brave soldiers abroad, those who need a president with solutions, not a continued lack of leadership. I will be a champion for the working class, those who continue to pay too much in taxes and get too little in return. Those who work hard each week only to make a meager wage - it's time to raise the minimum wage!

Democrats, delegates, we have an opportunity. An opportunity to reject the partisanship and drama that has plagued our party through the course of this primary process. An opportunity to unite as a party, focused and ready on ensuring that President Richard Nixon is a one-term president!

I believe in America. I believe in you. I present myself as a compromise candidate, a candidate of the convention, because I believe...I know, that together, we will unite this party, win this November and unleash the dreams of so many Americans! Tonight I humbly ask for your support and your vote. Thank you, God Bless all of you, and God Bless this great nation!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #963 on: October 24, 2015, 07:44:23 PM »

15 minutes left, no more moves to be allowed for the Third Ballot after that.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #964 on: October 24, 2015, 07:48:18 PM »

This is very exciting! Smiley Excellent job to everyone!
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #965 on: October 24, 2015, 07:55:15 PM »

Muskie Convention Expenses
-Posters distributed to delegates.

-Pamphlets about Muskie
  -Muskie's Senate Record
      -Civil Right and Great Society
   -Muskie as a compromise candidate.
   -Muskie's role as Hubert Humphrey's VP
-Muskie Campaign Buttons
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #966 on: October 24, 2015, 08:05:13 PM »

Right, I'll start calculating!

And spoiler alert, swings are going to get larger this time, as most of you have experimented with some very interesting nasty tactics (keep up the good work there)
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #967 on: October 24, 2015, 08:07:09 PM »

Right, I'll start calculating!

And spoiler alert, swings are going to get larger this time, as most of you have experimented with some very interesting nasty tactics (keep up the good work there)

yaaay
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #968 on: October 24, 2015, 08:14:52 PM »

This is very interesting as I'm still following this.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #969 on: October 24, 2015, 09:17:16 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2015, 09:23:06 PM by Lumine »

DNC, Press Room

"What the hell are those bastards playing at? Udall, you Quislingian son of a...!"
(Overheard quote from Hunter S. Thompson on the DNC floor)

Probably the best way of defining the turn the DNC took after the second ballot showed there was a significant stalemate to be broken was that there was chaos. In front of the cameras candidates were hopeful and forcefully denounced the attacks on Mayor Yorty, if only to save face and allow the press to say Democrats were united against Nixon. The couple of hours after the second ballot seemed to follow that narrative, as indeed several minor candidates indeed dropped out to endorse the major contenders: Governor West to back Bayh, Governor Askew to support Muskie and Walter Fauntroy to support Harris. With those votes in line the third ballot should have been a similar repetition of the second as delegates established some degree of consensus.

And then all hell broke loose.

Delegates and whips from the Harris campaign were caught spreading tales of the Muskie campaign being the one to attack Yorty, and the supposed leak caught fire when the Muskie Texan delegates overheard the news. Another fist fight broke in as chaos began to spread through some of the wings of a nearby hotel, the Muskie delegates denouncing the move and charging Harris instead with being the one to spread the negative tactics on the Los Angeles Mayor. Both delegations fought what can only be described as an escalating civil war which did not stop until the ballot.

That chaos would have been enough to cause drama on both campaigns as delegates broke from Muskie and Harris in disgust (Muskie took it better as he had the Florida delegates to stabilize his losses), until an unknown campaign leaked a story to the press stating that a deal had been reached between the Udall and Yorty campaigns, with the Arizona Congressman accepting to endorse Yorty in exchange for the Vice-Presidency. That only made it worse, as the New York delegates rose in anger and started shouting Judas! along with McGovern delegates and the Jesse Jackson delegation from Illinois (still strongly behind Harris), openly denouncing Udall on what they described as a corrupt bargain. It was thus that the Harris and Muskie delegations entered the third ballot on open war, while the Udall campaign saw liberal support evaporate.

With the McGovern effort virtually nonexistent and losing more delegates to a momentum wave, Birch Bayh and Sam Yorty stepped in to fill the void. Both delivered what was described as excellent speeches before the convention, appealing to delegates in a more effective way. While Bayh captured the lost ground by the other centrist and liberal candidates, the morale of the Yorty delegates was restore on the news of potential Udall reinforcements, allowing them to redouble efforts and round up support.

DNC 1972, Third Ballot:

(1517 votes needed for nomination)

Sam Yorty: 1300 (42.87%)
Edmund Muskie: 589 (19.42%)
George McGovern: 427 (14.08%)
Fred Harris: 371 (12.23%)
Birch Bayh: 219 (7.22%)
Morris Udall: 82 (2.70%)
Adlai Stevenson III: 51
John Lindsay: 1
Ted Kennedy: 1

The gloves came off and the swings became very wild (and they'll continue that way), as several minor candidates dropped out and others amplified their support. The obvious gains come from Mayor Yorty, who is even gaining on moderate support due to his speech and the disgust at the tactics employed by others, and Senator Bayh, whose tireless efforts have put him at over 200 delegates on very little time. From the still stable side we have Ed Muskie, who suffered a heavy blow due to the Harris controversy and managed to avoid a net loss mostly by the endorsement of Florida delegates sworn to Askew. From the losing side we have Senator Harris, who took a lot of damage on the scandal already explained (which lost to an improbable dice roll, mind you, not because of my own choice), Senator McGovern, who is melting away due to a lack of efforts and constant undermining tactics from the rest of the field, and Representative Udall, who saw his support go down by half after a fellow candidate leaked the deal story (not making that one, someone literally asked for that) and cause what can only be described as a delegate flame war.

So, Bayh is winning slowly but surely as a consensus choice, and Yorty is as close as ever as he has to be the nominee.

(A note from the GM: I know all of this might be a bit too dramatic, but I've always felt that's how brokered conventions can get. After all, OTL 1968 and 1972 were kind of a mess which was only lessened by Humphrey and McGovern having enough delegates to survive a first ballot on both)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #970 on: October 24, 2015, 09:30:07 PM »

Before I forget, Fourth Ballot to be held twenty hours from now.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #971 on: October 24, 2015, 10:20:09 PM »

Birch Bayh Press Conference

Senator Bayh, speaking to reporters outside of the convention center

Wow, what a night! You know, when I announced my campaign just a few days ago, people said we couldn't do it. Hour by hour, day by day, we are proving them wrong. At this point, momentum is on our side, and I truly believe when it is all said and done, I will be the consensus candidate that will unite all sides. Our campaign will continue to press on until we receive the support of at least 1517 delegates at this convention. I now open the floor to questions.

Reporter: Senator Bayh, Mayor Yorty is getting closer and closer to clinching the nomination. How do you plan to stop him?
Mayor Forty did well on the third ballot because delegates are getting tired of the petty and dirty politics we are seeing. Mayor Yorty received the brunt of those attacks, which has caused his delegates to rally behind him. I'll be honest, it is satisfying to see that there is some backlash to the negativity, because as I have been saying since day one, we need to be doing more to unite this party, rather than divide it.

Now, in terms of how I'm going to beat Mayor Yorty - look, he's a good guy, but we have to look at who can win. First, I stand by my record in the United States Senate - I have been a vocal fighter for progressive values while also having the ability to work with various members of the party, heck, even across party lines, to get things done. I think my record, what I stand for, is going to translate very well with General Election. When you look at Mayor Yorty, he is trailing President Nixon by 11 points. We have a couple strong candidates in this race, and I would like to think I am in that category. It would be a grave mistake for us to select a candidate who is down big to President Nixon.

Reporter: But Senator, you don't have polling numbers to back up your strength. Why would you be such a good candidate?
You know, I'm the type of person who can get things done. A lot of folks don't know me yet, but I know that Americans have a desire for a leader who will talk to them straight and get things done. I have a proven record of doing just that. Mayor Yorty, once again, I respect the guy, but voters know him, they know him very well. And he's trailing by double-digits - I would support him if he wins our nomination, but I have serious concerns about whether or not he can turn the tides. Regardless, something I want to continue to stress, regardless of who our nominee ends up being, our party has to unite for the General Election. It is absolutely important that Richard Nixon is not re-elected as President.

Reporter: Senator, what do you make of the fights that have been happening on the convention floor?
I'm tired of it. There is intra-party fighting happening left and right. All the candidates seem to be at each others throats now. I'm sure that President Nixon is off somewhere laughing and smiling at the level of chaos occurring at our convention. Going forward, I have made one thing abundantly clear with my staffers - we aren't going to get personal. You know, I think there are contrasts between the candidates that need to be brought up, but we are going to stay above the fighting and personal attacks. I think all of them - Sam, Ed, George, Fred, Morris...they're all great guys and would make fine presidents. But at this point, we need to figure out how we can unite as a party, and I am presenting myself as a candidate because I believe I am the one who can best unite us heading into the general election.

Reporter: What are your thoughts on reports that Udall and Yorty will run on a ticket together?
I'll leave it to the pundits to speculate. Right now I am focused on speaking with as many delegates and party leaders as possible and prove to them why I am the best candidate to lead our party into the general election.

Reporter: Senator, last question: Why should delegates vote for you?
You know, at this point, our party needs a compromise candidate. Someone who can unite all factions and regions of the party. Someone who can win. I believed several days ago when I announced my candidacy that I am that candidate, and I still believe so today. Together we will unite this party, heal our wombs, and defeat President Nixon in November. Thank you everyone, have a great evening!
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #972 on: October 25, 2015, 02:06:54 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #973 on: October 25, 2015, 02:23:11 PM »

Edmund Muskie Speech to the Convention

"Mr. Chairman, delegates, what we have seen these past few days has brought out the worst in all of us. We have seen our party ripped apart by rival factions, and competing interests. I come before you tonight, to say that enough is enough! My goodness, if we cannot even run a convention, how can we expect the American people to trust us to run our country? We have seen vicious rumors be spread about fellow Democrats here, and we have only made ourselves weaker. We have what would be a healthy debate about the direction of our party, turn into a common brawl, with echoes of  1968. Delegates, you have a choice to make. A choice between demagoguery, or unity. A choice between blind ideology,  and solutions. This is a time for leaders, and the Democrats must step up. We cannot allow ourselves to become a party dominating by the right, and be reduced to a regional party. We cannot allow ourselves to become a party dominated by naive leftists, who would make us the minority for the next fifty years. We need to be the party of solutions and ideas, not pontifications and pipe dreams. Delegates, vote on your conscious. Delegates, vote on the legacy of Kennedy and Stevenson, of Roosevelt and Truman. Delegates, this nomination is up to you. Don't give yourselves up to party bosses who would have you vote against your own deeply held beliefs to sustain their power. Stand up for your values, stand up for the values of the Democratic Party. Thank you and goodnight!"
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #974 on: October 25, 2015, 02:37:18 PM »

Fred Harris Speech

"We need to unite as a party to defeat Nixon. I have greatly enjoyed my time on the campaign trail talking to Americans of all races, creeds, and economic backgrounds about how to make the government a friend of the people, not a distant, oppressive, warmongering entity. It may come as a surprise that tonight, I am announcing my official endorsement of another candidate in this race. We must unite against the frontrunner Sam Yorty, who quite frankly, is not electable. While numerous candidates are wonderful and electable, I see one as a particularly principled, consistent, and skilled man. His name is Senator Birch Bayh, and I have had the pleasure of working with him during my time in the senate. He's always fought for the people, from extending the franchise, supporting the ERA, backing civil rights, and fighting for tax fairness and economic growth. I am confident that his campaign is the perfect vehicle behind which we should unite for a solid ticket to defeat Nixon and his entrenched interests. We are Democrats. Let's act like Democrats and support the strongest candidate here. I will continue to speak on behalf of Senator Bayh and reach out to delegates to get their support for his candidacy. To all who have helped on the Harris campaign, given our campaign money, or declared their support, LaDonna and I very much thank you personally. All good things must come to an end, and here, I see an opportunity for a winner who sticks up for the people. God Bless America and God Bless the Democratic Party!"
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies