Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:47:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 51
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)  (Read 109209 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: September 20, 2015, 08:29:58 PM »

Hmmmm... Tuesday afternoon it is (not night, so I'm not waiting until the last moment).
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #526 on: September 20, 2015, 08:56:44 PM »

I was going to have my stuff up in the next hour or so. We're really pushing these deadlines back all the time. Tongue
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #527 on: September 20, 2015, 09:13:20 PM »

Muskie For America Turn 10

April 7th
Barnstorm in Casper, WY with Rep. Tancriello
Barnstorm in Cheyenne, WY, with Rep. Tancriello
“We as Democrats must decide which route our party will take. Will we stay the party of Kennedy, of Johnson, of Humphrey, or will we be dragged kicking and screaming into the past by the likes of Sam Yorty and George Wallace? Cheyenne deserves better. Wyoming deserves better. America deserves better.”
Fundraiser in Cheyenne, WY.

April 8th
Barnstorm and GOTV in Missoula, MT.
Barnstorm and GOTV in Butte, MT.
Rally and GOTV in Helena, MT.
“Thank you! Thank you all for coming out tonight! Next week you, and numerous other states will make your voices heard in who you want to be our nominee. Will you choose strong leadership, or demagoguery? Will you choose reason, or bigotry? That is your choice to make, and I hope that choice is for Muskie.”

April 9th
Barnstorm and GOTV in Potacello, ID and along Interstate 84 until Boise.
Meet with civic leaders in Boise, ID.
Rally and GOTV in Boise, ID.
“Thank you for the warm welcome! Idaho is a state of hard working, honest people, and as your President, I will work to represent those values in the White House. I will ensure that workers are protected, and that everyone who wishes to work hard, can earn a good living. Next week you have a momentous decision to make, and I hope and pray you consider Muskie that day. Thank you and goodnight.”

April 10th
Fly to Anchorage, AK.
Barnstorm and GOTV in Anchorage, AK.
Rally and GOTV in Juneau, AK.
Fundraiser in Juneau, AK.

April 11th
Fly to Richmond, VA.
Barnstorm and GOTV in Richmond, VA
Barnstorm and GOTV in Norfolk, VA.
Rally in Norfolk, VA.

April 12th
Fundraiser in Richmond, VA.
 Barnstorm in Arlington, VA.
Barnstorm in Alexandria, VA.
“We must come together as Americans and choose steady, proven leadership. A demagogue will not do in the White House. As your presidential nominee, I will represent all Democrats in the White House, both northern and southern, black and white. Now is the time for unity, not division.”

April 13th
Barnstorm in Roanoke, VA.
Barnstorm in Martinsville, VA.
Barnstorm in Bristol, VA.

April 14th
Fly back to Wyoming.
Tour Yellowstone State Park, with press in attendance.
Speech in Jackson, WY.
“We must protect our natural treasures, such as Yellowstone. They are what helps make America the great country that it is today. As President, I would ensure that our drinking water is clean to drink, and that our air is clean to breath.”

April 15th
Barnstorm and GOTV in Great Falls, MT.
Fundraiser in Great Falls, MT.
Barnstorm on Idaho and Montana border.

April 16th
Barnstorm in Kendrick, ID.
Barnstorm in Coeur d'Alene, ID.
Rally in Boise, ID.

April 17th
Barnstorm in Richmond, VA. suburbs.
Fundraiser in Richmond, VA.
Pre-caucus rally in Richmond, VA.
“Tomorrow is a key moment in our campaign for the nomination. Tomorrow eight states cast their votes for the Democratic nomination for the Presidency. Tomorrow is a make or break moment for this campaign. Let's go out and show them tomorrow what we're made of! Thank you and goodnight.”
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #528 on: September 21, 2015, 05:46:22 AM »

April 8

Rally at Montgomery, Alabama

I come here, with a message of freedom and liberty, with a message of law and order, with a message of state's right's and segregation. I will increase funding to poor areas, areas affected by the disastrous consequences of integration. I will fight to lower taxes, increase regulation, increase spending to local government, and always make sure the issues, are handled by you the peo.ple, the local government and not by judicial tyranny and the incompetent federal government.

Barnstorming in Pratville AL
Branstorming in Mobile, AL

April 9

Speech with Union Workers in Huntsville AL

'I will work for unions, raising you wages, raising government funding to workers and poor people, and calling for more state's right, federal intrusion and an end to segregation, that is costing the working class jobs, so that richies and corporations can benefit from keeping down wages, of hard working middle and working class people. I also vow to end anti-union laws, and call for an expansion in funds to the local government to provide new schools, hospitals and public services, like I did as a governor.

Barnstorming in Chattanooga, TN
Meet Voters in Knoxville TN

April 10

Townhall in Memphis, TN

Wallace talks about protecting the white man's job, protecting the coal industry, calling for free higher education, free healthcare and more funds given to the local government. Wallace calls for an halt to integration, justice for crime committed and an rehabilitation system, in where criminals pay money back to the victims.

Barnstorming in Jackson, TN
Barnstorming in Franklin, TN
Rally at Nashville, TN

'Who need a populist, dedicated to free higher education, free healthcare, expansion of medicare, medicaid and social security. We will work with small business and unions, for higher-paying jobs and more worker's rights, and assisting small business with funds, and fighting corporate influence, and making sure rich people and corporation pay their fair share'.

April 9

Town hall in Asheville, NC (Lowring Taxes, more power to local government, and more funding to state based infrastructure programs, as well as helping rural areas by allocating more funds to improve their area.

Barnstorm at Hickory, NC

Rally at Charlotte, NC ( Talking about ending the war in Vietnam, calling for lowered military budget and more money allocated to lowering taxes, and funding local governments and funding free houses.

Barnstorm at Highpoint, NC

Meeting Voters at Greensboro NC, addressing fears of riots, violence, integration,  high taxes, high unemployment and the infringement of state's rights.

April 11

Meeting Voters at Durham, NC
Rally at Raleigh NC (protecting NC jobs, and at securing world peace, and ending poverty and guaranteeing jobs at home, via state-based initiatives.
Barnstorming at Fayetville, NC
Town hall in Wilmington NC ( Addressing the wearing down of the Anglo-saxon blood, the destruction of American values, American lives, and jobs.

April 12

Meeting Workers at Lynchburg VA (talking about increasing wages, and supporting local businesses)
Barnstorm at Roaoke, VA
Rally at Petersburg, VA (Talking about lowering inflation, the disaster of the Nixon government and funding initiatives to aid workers, fighting large corporation and ensure a living wage to all Americans, and looking out for the little guy, by protecting the institution of segregation, and funding state-base welfare programs.
Meeting Voters at Richmond, VA
Barnstorming at Hampton, VA

April 13

Meeting voters at Norfolk VA, addressing concerns about law and order, unemployment and call for the nationalization of industry of essential industries by state government to get the profits to fund social programs and aid workers.
Barnstorming at Virginia Beach, VA
TownHall at Cheapsake, VA
Travel around VA and meat people in rural areas, about getting them accesses to essential, just as urban people.

April 14

Barnstorming in Harrisonburg, VA
Town hall at Charlotesville, VA- calling for the preservation of American values, funding local churches, religious schools and making university free
Rally at Federicksburg, VA (Talks about providing jobs, fighting for higher wages, fighting for more regulation for corporations, increasing taxes for the rich, and lowering taxes to less than 5% for those earning less than $ 60 000.
Barnstorm at Alexandria, VA
Fundraising at Arlington, VA

April 15

Barnstorming at Martinsburg, WV
Meeting Voters around Rural West Virginia, taling about worker's right, protecting the coal industry and workers, as well as increasing wages, and providing more assistance to rural areas.
Rally at Morgantown, WV (Talking about protecting unions, workers against the federal government and corporations.
Meeting Workers and talking about the 'populist ' Wallace in Wheeling, WV

April 16

Barnstorming at Parkesburg, WV
Townhall at Charleston, WV
Rally at Huntington, WV (Talks about getting out of the war, protecting 'american value' and workers and corporation who want integration, and want to rip you off of a job and want to be stuck in lower wages.
Townhall in Logan, WV (Talks about helping rural America, by allocating more funds from the military, to help rural America in developing themselves.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #529 on: September 21, 2015, 05:47:51 AM »

Wallace joins every primary and caucus he can.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #530 on: September 21, 2015, 06:59:45 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2015, 07:01:41 PM by VPH »

Fred Harris Addresses the Media

REPORTER: "What are your thoughts on Governor George Wallace's entrance into the race?"
HARRIS: "I welcome him into the race, but I've got a few questions. First of all, why is Governor Wallace flip flopping on major issues? In 1968, he called for less government interference in private business, but this year he calls for NATIONALIZATION of industries? That sounds more Soviet than Populist to me. In 1968, he was the first to clamor for welfare cuts and handing over benefits to corporations, but now he's all about expanding social services. This year, he wants more regulation. 4 years ago he wanted less regulation. I'm confused. Only one thing hasn't changed with Governor Wallace. He wants to go back to before 1964 and subjugate and suppress Americans. Even if busing is not the best, in no regards should the US step backward. Second, what is his loyalty to the Democratic Party? I have some serious doubts after 1968."

REPORTER: "What sets you apart from other populists?"
HARRIS: "I think there are a number of things, and that's a valid question. First of all, I proposed the most responsible Vietnam policy yet, making sure we get our POW's out, leave soon, and treat our veterans right with a new GI bill. I'm the only candidate to specifically address the growing problem of legal tax evasion by the largest corporations. Small businesses suffer with this tax code while the hedge fund head honchos get off free. We need some major reforms to help the common man and woman. Third, I proposed a public works package that would create millions of jobs, kick-start the economy, help rural areas and suffering cities, and modernize our infrastructure."

REPORTER: "What is your stance on the environment?"
HARRIS: "I will create an organization to assist in preservation and holding big polluters accountable. It's unacceptable that cancer causing chemicals are poured into our water and dumped into our air."

REPORTER: "How will you keep fighting poverty?"
HARRIS: "I grew up poor and have been in those shoes. Through my experience, I've come to conclude that we need to provide healthcare for all Americans, a more effective social safety net system, equal opportunity in education, and safety from crime or disorder. For me, it's all about equality of opportunity. With the same opportunity for all Americans, hard work and responsibility will be the deciding factors.

REPORTER: "Why are you the best candidate to defeat Richard Nixon in November of next year?"
HARRIS: "While President Nixon is a formidable opponent. Between him and Spiro Agnew, the Republicans have a tough team to beat. Groomed by Wall Street money, both of them have that advantage. However, I believe that I, if I gain the nomination, can beat back the entrenched big money interests. My platform uniquely brings key issues to the forefront and will tackle the problems that plague America. I believe in the people, and when we all get together, undivided by our labels and differences, we can defeat the policies of war escalation, disregard for working Americans, and dirty political game-playing."

REPORTER: "What are your thoughts on George McGovern's campaign? You haven't talked an awful lot about him."
HARRIS: "I have a deep respect and admiration for Senator McGovern. His work has undoubtedly positively impacted poor Americans. However, I believe that my platform better represents the people and thus continue to compete with him. In my opinion, he'd made a great vice presidential pick. I wish him all the best through this race."
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #531 on: September 21, 2015, 07:10:08 PM »

This ad will play on ABC, NBC and CBS in all 50 states until the day after the election.

GEORGE WALLACE NOT CONSERVATIVE

How in fact does George Wallace say that he is a populist or a conservative while in fact he supports nationalization of industry something that Stalin and Hitler stood for, he has backed down in the fight for Law and Order, is a career politican, part of our problem and is anti-Vietnam war and anti  our boys fighting there. Do you want a Communist or a Nazi in George Wallace or a true fighter and Conservative in John G. Schmitz.

I'm John G. Schmitz and I approve this message and so does every American
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #532 on: September 21, 2015, 11:19:33 PM »

The Nixon Campaign - April 5 to April 17, 1972

A Sample of Campaign Speeches

April 5 - President Nixon Discusses Accomplishments in Missoula, Montana

"Hello, Missoula! Thank you! Thank you! It's so great to be here in Missoula, here in a county that voted for Nixon in 1968 and is prepared to do so again in '72! I can't thank Missoula enough for helping me win the race four years ago, and I'm excited to get the support of your people again this November. But recently, I've been hearing questions muttered around the nation - do I deserve it? Do I deserve the support of the hard-working, honest people of the United States of America? I can't answer that question for you, Missoula, that's a question you have to answer for yourselves when you go to the ballot box next week. But what I can tell you, Missoula, is what I've done as President, and I'll let you determine whether I deserve another term based off of that. Under President Nixon, inflation in the United States has dropped by more than a point, our nation's Gross Domestic Product is up by two hundred and ninety billion, and the Economic Stabilization Act of 1970 was passed, allowing prices, interest rates, and rents to be stabilized in order to create a better economy. Better diplomatic relations with one of the most powerful nations on Earth were established through my visit to China, and later this year, I'll be travelling to the Soviet Union to establish diplomacy, increase trade, quash the possibility of a nuclear conflict, and end the Cold War that has gripped our globe for much too long. I ask you, people of Missoula - is President Nixon good for this nation? It's up to you to decide."

April 6 - Governor Tim Babcock Endorses President Nixon in Billings, Montana

"Hello, Billings! Hello, Montana! And hello, the United States of America! My name is Tim Babcock, and I had the honor of serving as Governor of the great ol' Big Sky Country for seven years, from 1962 to 1969. As Governor, I saw a period of growth, progress, and prosperity in Montana, with our state's economy booming, our businesses growing, and our people happier than I've ever seen them before. I know what it takes to be a great leader, and throughout my time as Governor of Montana, I felt what it takes to be a great leader. But most importantly of all, I know which great leader should be in charge of leading our nation over the next four years. And the convenient thing is - that leader is already in office! Yes, Montana, when you go to the ballot box next week and in November and select who you want to be in the White House over the next four years, I implore you to place that vote for none other than President Nixon. I trust President Nixon to lead our country in the right direction, and I know that the people of Montana do as well. But that's not without reason - throughout his first term in office, President Nixon has shown us that he does have what it takes to lead our country in the right direction. During the Nixon Administration, our economy skyrocketed, inflation lowered, and the GDP of the United States soared. Our relations got better with competing world powers such as the People's Republic of China, and under Nixon, we've seen the conflict with the Soviet Union begin to wind down. Most importantly, our President has handled the crisis in Vietnam better than anyone else I know could have. I trust that President Nixon will continue to add to his record of honesty, progress, and good leadership if he's reelected this year, and I trust that the people of Montana trust President Nixon as well."

April 7 - Representative Jim McClure Endorses President Nixon in Nampa, Idaho

"Thank you, Nampa! Thank you very much! Thank you for inviting me and the President to your city this fine afternoon, and I know that you'll very much like what we have to say! Thank you! So, recently, I've been hearing what the people of Idaho have to say, and I've been hearing what they want in a President. Idaho wants our nation's leader to be honest, trustworthy, and respectful, and Idaho wants the President of the United States of America to be a guy who our state can always rely on to do the best thing for our people. Now, I could tell you all I want about why President Nixon is the best man for the job, but some of you are probably asking - how do I know that? How can you be sure that I know for sure that Nixon is the best candidate in the race, and how can you be sure that I'm tellin' you the truth when I say that all of Idaho needs to get out and vote for Nixon this year? Well, I'll tell you why. I haven't just heard about Richard Nixon - I know him personally and know what kind of man he really is. Ever since Nixon came into office on January 20, 1969, I've seen what he's done to our nation, and I've worked with him day after day on Capitol Hill to make sure that America is taking a turn in the right direction. Throughout my time in Congress, I've been able to personally examine what kinds of policies and initiatives President Nixon wants for the United States of America, and I can guarantee that those policies and initiatives are best for our nation's people. I'm not just talking about Nixon, I know him well and dear - and I know that, if elected to another term, President Nixon will continue to be a freedom fighter for Idaho and all of our nation."

April 8 - Senator Clifford Hansen Endorses President Nixon in Cheyenne, Wyoming

"Thank you, people of Cheyenne! Thank you! I'm so excited to be here this morning, looking down on the faces of hundreds of proud, hard-working Wyomingites that have come here today to engage in the political process that affects them so directly. It's a great sight to see. Throughout my decade serving the people of Wyoming as an elected official in either the Governor's Mansion or on Capitol Hill, I've seen a variety of Presidents come and go. I've seen inaugurations, farewell addresses, policy proposals, initiative announcements, and campaign speeches, and they've always been the same thing over and over again. Politicians have said countless times - "I'm the man for the job, vote for me" - but never have they actually provided a good reason that we should. But that was until I met Richard Nixon. Through the many years I've known Nixon in Washington D.C. and elsewhere, I've learned that he's no corrupt, apathetic politician that we see to many of these days - Richard Nixon is an honest, genuine man who I know is right for the job. I've seen Wyoming thrive over the past four years under the Nixon Administration, and I know that if we reelect this man, our state and the nation as a whole will have another four years of progress, happiness, and prosperity to look forward to. That's why I'm voting for Richard Nixon this year, and that's why, to the best of my ability, I implore you and the rest of the people of the United States of America to do the same."
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #533 on: September 21, 2015, 11:20:51 PM »

A Sample of Campaign Speeches

April 9 - Senator Wallace Bennett Endorses President Nixon in Provo, Utah

"Hello, Provo! Thank you, thank you for the warm welcome! Thank you! In fact, just this morning, I was able to give a warm welcome myself to none other than President Nixon, as I invited him into my local office here in Provo for a breakfast together and discussion. Now, I'll be honest with you - before this morning, I was on the fence about who to endorse in '72. I've met with the candidates, heard a lot about the candidates, and have made a lot of inferences about which direction each of the candidates wants to lead our nation. Until this morning, I was undecided about which of the candidates would be the best one to lead our nation, but thankfully, I can now say that I've firmly concluded that - well, for lack of a better phrase - Nixon is our guy! Now, get me right here, I've seen a lot of bribery, donor bias, and corruption throughout my years in government and in Washington. I'm sure that if President Nixon wanted to, he could try to bribe me into supporting him, or blackmail me or promise me greater political power for my endorsement. But that's simply not the way that our pal Nixon works. Nixon convinced me to support his campaign not through money - not through bribery like many other politicians do - but through selling me his record as President and ideas for a second term. I'll tell you exactly what Nixon told me, and I'll let you decide who to support based off of that. Throughout Nixon's first four years in office, our economy boomed and continues to boom, with inflation dropping more than a point, America's GDP up by two hundred and ninety billion, and prices, interest rates, and rents stabilized with the Economic Stabilization Act of 1970. Our relations with the Soviet Union are by far better than they were on January 20, 1969, and due to Nixon's diplomacy, we actually have relations with China for the first time in years. Racial relations have taken a turn for the better, and everyone seems to have more money in their wallet, more confidence in their government, and more of a smile on their face now that Nixon's in office. That's what Nixon told me, and that's what I'm telling you. No bribery, no cheating - just plain honesty, trustworthiness, and confidence that America can be greater. That's why I'm voting Nixon."

April 10 - President Nixon Speaks in West Jordan, Utah

"Good evening, West Jordan! Hello, and thank you for inviting me to your beautiful city! It's great to be here! In fact, in all honesty, it's great to be in America. Four years ago, when President Johnson was in office, a lot of people felt they didn't know whether or not it's great to be in America - the war in Vietnam was becoming more and more intense every day with the casualty count skyrocketing, inflation was a whole point higher then where it is now, and many Americans felt that they couldn't rely on our nation's government to keep them safe from corrupt politicians, corrupt banks, corrupt wars, and corrupt foreign governments. But it brings joy to my heart to know that four years later, it is, without a doubt, great to be in America. Inflation is down, the GDP is up, the Vietnam War is being handled appropriately, and the Cold War is winding down. The United States is in a better place today than it was four years ago, the state of Utah is in a better place today than it was four years ago, and most importantly for the people I stand in front of today, the city of West Jordan is in a better place today than it was four years ago. What does that tell you about the first Nixon Administration? What does it tell you about what a second Nixon Administration will be like? Well, even though some of you might not have answered that for yourselves yet - that's why I'm here right now - I know quite a few people who know they have. Already, I've gained the support of none other than former Utah Governor J. Bracken Lee and current Utah Senator Wallace Bennett. They're ready for another term of Nixon, I'm ready for another term of Nixon, and most of all, I hope that the people of West Jordan, the people of Utah, and the people of the United States are ready for another term of Nixon. Thank you, and good night!"

April 16 - Former Governor J. Bracken Lee Speaks on Behalf of President Nixon in Salt Lake City, Utah

"Hello, Salt Lake City! Thank you, thank you for showing up in record numbers this morning to listen to what I have to say! Thank you! Now, as all of you know, I served as the mayor of this great city - the greatest city on Earth, in fact - for more than a decade. The people of Salt Lake City have and continue to place trust in me, and I am eternally thankful for that. But the one thing I feel I have left to do - and this is of vital importance - is to make sure that the people of Salt Lake City have trust in President Nixon. Throughout the past four years, President Nixon has done everything within his power to help the people of the United States, the people of Utah, and the people of Salt Lake City, and it is of utter importance that the people of Salt Lake City place their trust in President Nixon again by going to the ballot boxes this year. Now, of course, why should you place your trust in President Nixon? I could talk about his record for days - how he worked miracles for our nation's economy, how he fought bravely to defend and protect America's foreign interests around the world, how he did everything within his power to make life in America greater for everyone in our nation. But you've already heard enough about Nixon's record, I'm sure. What I'm here today to talk about is Nixon's values. I've known President Nixon for a while, I know what kind of man he is, and most of all, I know what kind of values President Nixon has. The great news is - and I speak from the bottom of my heart in saying this - President Nixon has the same values as Salt Lake City. Never have I met a President who values conservatism and conservative values as much as Nixon does, never have I met a President who values our state's deep religious and cultural history as much as Nixon does, and never have I met a President who knows what it means to keep tradition in Utah as much as Nixon does. Nixon is a true fighter for our state's religious, cultural, and traditional rights, and that's why I'm voting for him in '72. I implore Salt Lake City to do the same."

April 17 - President Nixon Speaks in Salt Lake City, Utah

"Hello, Salt Lake City! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you very much! Now, as you all know, today is a very special day for Utah. Today, the courageous, hard-working, patriotic men and women of this great state will go out to the ballot box to elect who they want to be our nation's Republican nominee for President in 1972. Currently, polls show my rival, Congressman Barry Goldwater, Jr., and I neck and neck for the Utah Republican nomination. I respect Congressman Goldwater as a politician and as a person, but I implore the people of Utah to vote for the candidate with the most experience, best record, and best ideas for this nation. And that person, believe it or not, is none other than President Nixon. But why, you might ask, is President Nixon the best man for Utah? How does he represent us better than Congressman Goldwater? How do we know to trust him to value our culture and traditions more than Congressman Goldwater will? Well, people of Utah, I can tell you right here and right now, there is no man better than President Nixon to uphold and preserve the values of the people of Utah. Not only do I understand and agree with the courageous conservatism and stouthearted traditionalism of the Beehive State, but if elected to a second term, I will continue to fight for the conservative and traditional values of Utah through my work as our nation's President. Furthermore, not only do I respect the staunch traditionalism of this state, but I very much respect the religious foundation upon which Utah is built. I can hardly think of one group in the United States that has contributed more to the strong moral and ethical values upon which our nation is built than the people of Utah - a people that, through their dedication to religion, support for morality, and love for goodness, have helped to define America as the greatest nation on Earth. Utah is a cornerstone to our nation's culture, tradition, and values, and I would be delighted to have the honor of having the vote of one of our nation's greatest states. Thank you, Salt Lake City, thank you, Utah, and thank you, the United States of America!"
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #534 on: September 21, 2015, 11:37:09 PM »

Round 10 - Television Advertisement

"The West."

"A bastion of culture, tradition, and values."

"Who stands for our culture?"

"Who stands for our traditions?"

"Who stands for our religion, morality, and values?"

"The answer - President Nixon."

"Throughout his life, Richard Nixon has been a valiant fighter for our culture, traditions, and values, and has promised to continue to preserve the sanctity and sacredness of the West if reelected."

"That's why we need Nixon. Vote Nixon '72."

_______

Ad to be Aired in:

(percentage shade indicates amount of airing per state)
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #535 on: September 22, 2015, 12:35:31 AM »

Sam Yorty Endorsements

Senator Harry F. Byrd, Jr. (I-VA)

I can say with certainty that Sam Yorty speaks to both the hearts and minds of Virginians across our great state. Mr. Yorty has been looking out for the common man in a time when he has been so often ignored. If you want to restore dignity and responsibility to the office of the presidency, then I urge Virginia to caucus for Sam Yorty with full force!

Senator Byrd will be barnstorming Virginia and oversee the state GOTV operations, with an emphasis on neutralizing Harris and Wallace in the caucus. Following the Virginia caucus, Byrd will be barnstorming in Montana and Wyoming for the second week.

Former Governor Mills E. Godwin, Jr. (D-VA)

Harris supports busing and Wallace is a latecomer! Virginia deserves better, and Mr. Yorty has been here for us since the beginning. I encourage my fellow Virginians to show up for him on the 10th.

Governor Godwin will be barnstorming Virginia and invest in GOTV, neutralizing Harris and Wallace's support statewide. For the second week, Godwin will be barnstorming in Montana and Idaho.

Senator Sam Ervin (D-NC)

Now I don't know about y'all, but when I see all of these folks attack a good man like Sam Yorty, it tells me that they're mighty scared he'll beat 'em all in the primaries. I like a tough guy, and Yorty has the chops to be a great President. He definitely has my support. Does he have yours?

In the first week, Senator Ervin will be barnstorming in Alaska, Kansas, and Virginia, peeling away voters from Harris, Muskie, and Wallace. In the second week, Ervin will be barnstorming in Montana and also stop in Pennsylvania to raise support.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #536 on: September 22, 2015, 12:27:44 PM »

Sam Yorty Press Conference

YORTY: Good day, gentlemen. I shall be fielding questions from all of you here for as long as it takes. Have at it.

REPORTER: Mayor, how do you respond to the latest attacks from your opponent Senator Muskie?
YORTY: Well, I can't say that he's saying anything new. Senator Muskie is just repeating himself over and over trying to scare voters away from me and hoping that they'll go to his failing campaign. What's bad for him is that the voters already know that Muskie is a phony who has no shot at winning a general election with the effort he's giving. So, while he may pound at me as he wishes, I expect that he'll drop out of the race far sooner than I ever would.

REPORTER: And what about the attacks coming from Senator Harris?
YORTY: I stand by my record as the mayor of the great city of Los Angeles. Not everything happened the way we would like to, of course, and the Sixties were tumultuous times for us all across the country. Under my watch, though, we've made great strides in expanding our infrastructure, growing our economy, and cleaning up the city. Compared to ten years ago, it's a much better place to live. All that Senator Harris has done in his political career is vote--he's never had to manage anything like I have. I don't believe that he has the right experience or judgment to be President.

REPORTER: Are you going to go on the offensive with Governor Wallace now that he's in the race?
YORTY: Look, I think Governor Wallace has shown that he's a fighter, and I like that in a man. I respect him for that. There's no doubt that we have areas of agreement where we can be allies, and I won't hesitate to do that when the time is right. With that said, Governor Wallace won't push me out, and I believe that I am the better candidate at the end of the day. I'll continue doing what I'm doing and I'll highlight my differences with him when I need to.

REPORTER: How do you respond to President Nixon's decision to accelerate bombing in North Vietnam?
YORTY: I've advocating being smarter with our bombing strategy, but this alone won't do the job. I will actually be addressing the issue in much more depth when I head to Arlington later in the week. Stay tuned.

REPORTER: Do you think you have a viable path to the nomination with a crowded field like this?
YORTY: Absolutely. I saw a poll released earlier that showed me tied with Senator Muskie for first place, so it's clear that our momentum is only picking up and not slowing down. So far, we have been doing everything right. I anticipate that we will do very well in the upcoming caucuses across the board, and our victories in these states will lead us to being the clear favorite. I can guarantee you this: I'm not going anywhere!
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #537 on: September 22, 2015, 12:49:48 PM »

MAJOR POLICY ADDRESS: WINNING THE WAR IN VIETNAM

Speaking in Arlington, Virginia, to a packed room of reporters and defense personnel, frontrunner Sam Yorty outlined his plans to declare victory in Vietnam after years of stalemate. Although Yorty considered the recent escalation of the bombing campaign in North Vietnam to be "a start," he stated that bombing alone will not lead to victory and called the Nixon administration "incompetent" in its Vietnam policy. An outline of Yorty's strategy goes as follows:

-Introducing a surge of 50,000 more troops in Vietnam
-Bombing key infrastructures in the North, crippling Saigon's capacity to respond
-Placing a significant number of troops in Laos to cut off the Ho Chi Minh trail, restricting the North's movement
-Arming and training the South Vietnamese on a mass scale
-Investing in South Vietnam, including expanding trade, subsidizing industry, and opening military bases

Yorty anticipates that the strategy will result in defeating the North within the first year of his presidency. Following the victory, combat troops will begin to leave Vietnam while a number of peacekeeping troops will remain for the next decade to ensure that the rebuilding of the country will go smoothly and to act as a deterrent against communist influence in Southeast Asia.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #538 on: September 22, 2015, 02:09:58 PM »

Fred Harris Response to Yorty's Attacks

Spoken to reporters in Virginia

"Saigon Sam's out to get me, huh? Remember folks, Mayor Yorty ENDORSED Richard Nixon in 1960. That's right, he endorsed the Republican president who has led this country into economic ruin. Some experience there. Since mayor Yorty has challenged me, here's just a few tangible things I have accomplished:
-As chair of the DNC, I helped lead our party in a more successful direction by democratizing the nominating process. All of us candidates have been substantially helped by this process.
-I restored 48,000 acres of land to the Taos Pueblo people by building a bipartisan consensus in the senate.
-I served on the Kerner Commission and proposed a major set of reforms to keep cities like Los Angeles safe because clearly not enough is being done by folks who always run on 'law and order' like Mayor Yorty and Governor Wallace.
-I voted yes on the Equal Rights Amendment, because women ought to have equality under the law.
-As a lawyer, I consistently fought for the people in court and have a deep understanding of the legal system.

Mayor Yorty may tell you I only 'voted', but in fact it is voting that changes the course of this nation. Along with these votes, I've been consistent and taken action. Mayor Yorty never served in the senate. Mayor Yorty's  misguided attacks are symptomatic of his political game-playing and I hope you'll see through his lies."
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #539 on: September 22, 2015, 02:28:04 PM »

The McGovern Campaign Applies for all Caucuses and Primaries available. I just got off school, and will be posting in the next couple of minutes after researching it. Thanks for the extension, again.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #540 on: September 22, 2015, 02:29:16 PM »

Sam Yorty Response to Fred Harris

I supported Nixon 12 years ago because I believed that he had the best judgment to lead the country forward after Eisenhower's relative prosperity. I did not have the same confidence in Jack Kennedy at the time. In retrospect, I realize that Nixon is not a man to be trusted and he has truly been a horrid president. That I can agree with Senator Harris on.

Now, Senator Harris claims that I've never been in the Senate, which is accurate, although I have served in the House for two terms. My experience in Congress has taught me that little is usually done in Washington, D.C., and what is done is usually bad. I've been outside Washington and have done good work improving L.A. and making it a major American city. We need more leaders who represent their constituents and who don't pander to special interests like so many politicians. I also find it interesting that Senator Harris would reference his chairmanship of the DNC when he supposedly is "anti-establishment." I'll let the record speak for itself there.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #541 on: September 22, 2015, 02:31:02 PM »

Sam Yorty Campaign Schedule: April 5-17

I thank the good people of South Carolina for another victory. Our momentum is only picking up across the country, and for these next few weeks, we'll be criss-crossing the states and making sure that this nomination is ours! I'll see you at the caucuses, my fellow Americans!

April 5
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Twin Falls, ID
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Idaho Falls, ID
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Meridian, ID
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Nampa, ID
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Boise, ID

Farmers in Idaho and across the country have been struggling. We've made great strides in agriculture and the technology we use, but many farmers still live in poverty. Do you think that the current gang of yokels in D.C. give a hoot about you and your needs? I really don't think so! If they did care, then they would have given you the attention that you need years ago. We should be doing more to protect farmers and encourage their livelihoods. A President Yorty would no longer ignore the plight of the farmers, I can tell you that much!

April 6
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Waipahu, HI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Hilo, HI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in East Honolulu, HI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Pearl City, HI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Honolulu, HI

April 7
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Linton Hall, VA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Marumsco, VA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Blacksburg, VA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Charlottesville, VA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Oakton, VA

I welcome Governor Wallace's entrance in the primaries. If anything, this should make the whole process much more competitive for the rest of us, and I'm up for the challenge. He's been talking about many of the issues that I have, and I'm sure many of you Southern fellows have respect for him. Before you think about switching to Wallace this week, though, consider this: Governor Wallace represents the past. He already had his chance in 1968, and despite all the bloodshed and mayhem of that year, he didn't do nearly as well as he should have. Now he's trying to become President again, but it's on him to prove that he's up to it. Look at what I've accomplished, though: Within weeks of announcing, I changed the dialogue of the entire campaign so that my opponents were forced to acknowledge our skyrocketing crime, our failures in Vietnam, and our failed busing policy. If you want to carry this message to the White House, then I'm your guy.

April 8
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Ashburn, VA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Reston, VA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Suffolk, VA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Portsmouth, VA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Lynchburg, VA

Folks like Senator Muskie may try to call me a demagogue, but what he doesn't realize is that my message is the message of the American people, and that is: we're fed up, we're not taking it any longer, and it's up to us to do something about it! Senator Muskie can't connect with you all because he's a creature of the Senate and is hopelessly desperate to put some life in his campaign. It's been months since his last victory, and he should know that his time is up. For us, though, we'll be fighting to the very end.

April 9
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Roanoke, VA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Hampton, VA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Richmond, VA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Alexandria, VA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Arlington, VA

If you have a glimmer of thought on caucusing for Muskie, McGovern, or Harris tomorrow, remember a few things. All three of these men are fully in support of the failed busing program that has harmed the quality of our education and the peace in our communities. All three of these men have no solution to stop the rampant crime happening in our country, and they would rather stay lenient on criminals and terrorists than to keep us safe. All three of these men are also part of the cabal of knuckleheads that we call the U.S. Senate. They're Washington insiders who are clueless about Middle America's troubles, and they're not going to be fighting for you. I will.

April 10
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Topeka, KS
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Olathe, KS
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Kansas City, KS
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Overland Park, KS
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Wichita, KS

Kansas, you've seen Senator Harris around here plenty, haven't you? He would really like your vote, and he's parading around at this one true populist who cares for folks like yourself. What you should focus on about Senator Harris is his "Senator" title. He's part of the same gang of fools that have driven us into the ground to begin with! Senator Harris also acts as if he's this grand anti-establishment figure, but the fact is that he was nearly chosen by Hubert Humphrey, the godfather of the Democratic Party establishment, to be his running mate. Humphrey ended up picking Senator Muskie, and he isn't much better! If you really want to go in a new direction, then you need a nominee who isn't entrenched in Washington, and I would argue that Los Angeles is a much better place to be than Washington.

April 11
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Kalispell, MT
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Bozeman, MT
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Great Falls, MT
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Missoula, MT
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Billings, MT

Senator McGovern would be dangerous as President, ladies and gentlemen. His plan in Vietnam is to withdraw entirely, but that's really no plan at all. If you withdraw without declaring victory, you leave a void for the North to fill and the communists' agenda will only advance in Asia. It should be clear to any serious candidate for President that communism is a threat to the entire world wherever it appears, and it's our moral duty to contain it. Besides Vietnam, McGovern is also completely oblivious to the crime epidemic in our nation. All the "social justice" in the world won't stop a hooligan from looting a store or a terrorist from detonating a bomb. He's just another example of a career politician too disconnected from the American people to have any common sense about leadership. Montana, this week come out and caucus in full force for Sam Yorty, the only candidate who stands with you!

April 12
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Rock Springs, WY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Gillette, WY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Laramie, WY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Casper, WY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Cheyenne, WY

It's good news that the Biological Weapons Convention has resulted in progress. That the Soviet Union has signed on to the agreement should be a relief to the entire world, because in the wrong hands, we could bear witness to plenty of tragedy. Now, the next step is to be aggressive and make sure that the USSR keeps up their end of the bargain and doesn't go around cheating. If they're caught misleading the global community, then we have the authority to respond, because these weapons should not be in the access of anyone.

April 13
-Barnstorming and GOTV in St. George, UT
-Barnstorming and GOTV in West Jordan, UT
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Provo, UT
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Draper, UT
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Salt Lake City, UT

Utah, we don't need a inexperienced, unproven, reckless person to lead us in the White House. If you want somebody like that, then I would point you to Senator Harris. What we need more than anything in this country right now is stability, guided by strong leadership. I'm the candidate with a record of strong management, and I'm the only candidate to release solid plans for a strong foreign policy, an end to widespread crime, and a responsible government. The good people of Utah are going to send a message in a few days that they're ready for new leadership, and I hope that I can claim all of your votes.

April 14
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Clearfield, UT
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Midvale, UT
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Spanish Fork, UT
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Roy, UT
-Barnstorming and GOTV in West Valley City, UT

April 15
-Town Hall in Milford, MA
-Town Hall in Gloucester, MA
-Rally and Voter Registration in Lowell, MA
-Rally and Voter Registration in Quincy, MA
-Fundraiser in Boston, MA

I know what some in the media may be thinking: "What is Sam Yorty doing up here in cold, liberal Massachusetts?" It's certainly different than sunny California, I'll say that! The truth is that the media doesn't realize that the issues I'm talking about apply to all Americans, not just conservative or liberal ones. There are many good working class people in Massachusetts who are fed up with the way things are, and I'm with them here. I want to be the President who cares for the middle class that has been squeezed in the last few years, and I want to let them know that I'm not going anywhere. Many people in Massachusetts will find that my message is what they've been looking for from our leaders, and I expect to do well here just like in many other states.

April 16
-Town Hall in Hermitage, PA
-Town Hall in McKeesport, PA
-Roundtable Discussion (Vietnam) in Harrisburg, PA
-Rally and Voter Registration in Scranton, PA
-Fundraiser in Philadelphia, PA

You want to live a good life and support your family, but it's getting harder by the day. Our current leaders aren't worth a bucket of piss and they're not doing anything to fix what needs to be fixed. If you want to change this country, you need a change in leadership. The only way to change leadership is to find someone who's not part of the country club system of politics. I've been out here fighting the issues that you and your family care about every day of my career. Pennsylvania, will you stand with me in a few weeks?

April 17
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Kuna, ID
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Eagle, ID
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Moscow, ID
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Coeur d'Alene, ID
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Pocatello, ID
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #542 on: September 22, 2015, 02:32:26 PM »

Campaign Activities

-Aggressive fundraising in California, New York, Florida, Illinois, Texas, Michigan, Ohio, Virginia, and North Carolina
-Contacting new donors in California, New York, Florida, Texas, Virginia, and North Carolina
-Opening up campaign offices in Massachusetts, Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee, Nebraska, West Virginia, and North Carolina
-Expanding campaign offices in Pennsylvania and California
-Hiring staff/recruiting volunteers in Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Tennessee, Nebraska, West Virginia, and North Carolina
-Expansion of direct mail advertising in Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Tennessee, and North Carolina

The Yorty campaign will file for the Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee, Nebraska, West Virginia and North Carolina primaries.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #543 on: September 22, 2015, 02:37:26 PM »

About six hours left here.

Also, this is the final turn to grant this much of an extension, the game is slowing down too much.
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #544 on: September 22, 2015, 03:59:30 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2015, 09:01:38 PM by YPestis25 »

Muskie Gotv
Alaska
-Appeal to Gravel Supporters (Gravel was a Muskie supporter irl)
-Appeal to mainstream dems in Anchorage and Juneau

Idaho, Wymoning, Montana
-Appeal to moderate western dems
-Former Lindsay supporters
-People turned off by Yorty

Virginia
-Mainstream dems again
-Don't mention busing either way
- Turnout in Industrial Centers

Muskie Endorsers
Wymoning Rep. Toncrellio
-Attend caucus locations in Wyoming and Montana
-Build establishment support for Muskie.

Idaho Governor Cecil Andrus
-Attend caucus locations in Idaho
-Build support among mainstream dems

Past Muskie Endorsers

Gov. Warren Hearnes of Missouri
-Barnstorm throughout Kansas.
-Fundraising in Kansas City, MO.

Sen. Stuart Symington of Missouri
-Barnstorm throughout Kansas.
-Fundraising in St. Louis, MO.

YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #545 on: September 22, 2015, 05:18:34 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2015, 06:09:47 PM by YPestis25 »

Muskie Ad
To run in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Alaska
Narrator: Do you want proven leadership in the White House?
Do you want a man who will stand up for your values?
Do you want a man that can win?
The vote Muskie on your upcoming primaries.

Also, Muskie files for the Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee, Nebraska, West Virginia and North Carolina primaries.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #546 on: September 22, 2015, 07:47:49 PM »

About an hour left here.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #547 on: September 22, 2015, 08:19:12 PM »

TV Ad: Accomplishment

Sam Yorty is a man of accomplishment. As Mayor of Los Angeles, he has been at the forefront of the next great American city. Yorty led the charge to expand the freeway network, leading to a new era of prosperity. Under Yorty, the economy has boomed and the culture has flourished.

"This is Sam Yorty. Los Angeles has become a great American success under my watch, and I'm proud of the work that I've done. Now I'm running for President, and I want to do the same for the rest of the country. I hope I can earn your vote."

TV Ad: For Virginians

Hello, this is your senator, Harry Byrd. I'm here to talk to you about an important choice that you'll be facing in the caucus this week. We have a fair share of candidates running, but many of them aren't worth your vote. Ed Muskie and Fred Harris say they're "for the people," but they are really Washington insiders who are for disastrous ideas like busing. They are out of touch with Virginians. You also have George Wallace, someone who has changed his positions and who can't decide what party he wants to be in. In an age like this, we need someone who can stand firm. If you want a candidate who is consistent on where he stands and who really represents you, you only have one choice: Sam Yorty. And, folks, I'll be proudly voting for Sam Yorty on the 10th. Will you?

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #548 on: September 22, 2015, 08:28:48 PM »

Sam Yorty Surrogates

Harry F. Byrd, Jr.: Barnstorming and GOTV in VA (Week 1), Barnstorming and GOTV in MT, WY (Week 2)
Mills E. Goodwin, Jr.: Barnstorming and GOTV in VA (Week 1), Barnstorming and GOTV in MT, ID (Week 2)
Sam Ervin: Barnstorming and GOTV in AK, KS, VA (Week 1); Barnstorming and GOTV in MT, Campaigning in PA (Week 2)
James F. Byrnes: Barnstorming and GOTV in KS, HI (Week 1), Barnstorming and GOTV in WY, MT (Week 2)
William Loeb: Barnstorming and GOTV in KS, HI (Week 1), Barnstorming and GOTV in MT, ID (Week 2)
W. Haydon Burns: Barnstorming and GOTV in KS, AK (Week 1), Barnstorming and GOTV in MT, WY (Week 2)
Otto Kerner, Jr.: Barnstorming and GOTV in HI, AK (Week 1), Barnstorming and GOTV in ID, UT (Week 2)
John W. King: Barnstorming and GOTV in AK, HI (Week 1), Campaigning in MA, PA (Week 2)
Ross Perot: Fundraising in TX, CA
Happy Chandler: Barnstorming and GOTV in KS, VA (Week 1), Campaigning in IN, NC, WV (Week 2)
Robert Byrd: Barnstorming and GOTV in AK, VA (Week 1), Campaigning in TN, WV (Week 2)
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #549 on: September 22, 2015, 08:31:09 PM »

Sam Yorty GOTV Strategy: Caucus Season

With the latest batch of caucuses, the Yorty campaign is acting very aggressively to achieve victory. In caucuses, organization is key. Above all the other campaigns, Yorty's campaign has been by far the most organized in caucus states, targeting key constituencies statewide and driving up enthusiasm that cannot be replicated by the other candidates. For all of the states in the next two weeks, the following actions are being taken by the Yorty campaign for GOTV efforts:

-Targeting undecided voters, highlighting Yorty’s independent streak and willingness to “speak the truth” on law and order along with other issues
-Targeting blue collar voters in urban and suburban areas, highlighting the economy, labor issues, law and order, and Vietnam
-Targeting ethnic voters statewide, highlighting the economy, labor issues, law and order, and Vietnam
-Targeting white collar voters in urban areas, highlighting the economy, education, and law and order
-Targeting low-income voters across the state (especially in rural areas), highlighting the economy, education, and healthcare
-Targeting union members across the state, highlighting labor, the economy, education, and healthcare
-Targeting veterans and those currently serving across the state, highlighting a muscular foreign policy and new attention on veterans' affairs
-Targeting moderate and conservative Democrats, citing Yorty's positions on law and order, the economy, and foreign policy
-Targeting disaffected Democrats across the state who normally don't vote
-Targeting Republicans to vote in the Democratic primaries, highlighting Yorty as the candidate with the greatest crossover appeal
-Persuading former Lindsay supporters to switch to Yorty, highlighting their similarities on issues such as law and order along with noting their civility to each other on the campaign trail
-Persuading Muskie supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Muskie as "just another politician" and showcasing Yorty as a similar moderate Democrat
-Persuading Harris supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Harris for his extreme anti-war views on Vietnam and pointing to Yorty as the more "genuine" champion of issues such as labor, education, healthcare, etc.
-Persuading Wallace supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Wallace for his flip-flopping on issues and portraying as a "figure of the past," while pulling them in on issues such as busing, law and order, Vietnam, and labor

In addition to these actions, other specific actions are underway in the following states:

Alaska
-Targeting Alaska Natives in the rural parts of the state
-Persuading Gravel supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Gravel for his lack of attention towards the state
-Persuading former McCarthy supporters to switch to Yorty, citing Yorty's positions on labor, healthcare, agriculture, etc.
-Push to cross the 15% delegate threshold

Kansas
-Targeting farmers, citing Yorty's push for expanding agriculture
-Targeting Evengelicals, citing Yorty's belief in strong communities and family values
-Criticizing Harris as a Washington politician with little accomplishment

Virginia
-Targeting Evengelicals, citing Yorty's belief in strong communities and family values
-Send the message of Harris and Muskie being pro-busing via surrogates statewide

Hawaii
-Targeting Asians, citing Yorty's belief in strong communities and family values
-Persuading former McCarthy supporters to switch to Yorty, citing Yorty's positions on labor, healthcare, agriculture, etc.
-Push to cross the 15% delegate threshold

Idaho
-Targeting farmers, citing Yorty's push for expanding agriculture
-Targeting Mormons, citing Yorty's belief in strong communities and family values
-Targeting uncommitted voters, citing Yorty's independent streak and "tell-it-like-it-is" nature

Montana
-Targeting miners, citing Yorty's anti-establishment bent and positions on labor and industry
-Persuading McGovern supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing McGovern as "just another D.C. politician" and for his extreme anti-war views

Wyoming
-Targeting Mormons, citing Yorty's belief in strong communities and family values

Utah

The Yorty campaign expects to be able to win in most of these states, and is taking all the actions necessary to drive out the maximum vote across the board. The two states considered unlikely for a victory, Alaska and Hawaii, are nonetheless being targeted considerably in an effort to pick up extra delegates, as every delegate counts on the way to the convention.

Following these two weeks, the expectation is that Yorty will go for a near-sweep of the contests, allowing him to claim the momentum and emerge as the clear frontrunner. There is an active push to neutralize Harris and Wallace in caucuses such as Virginia and Kansas, to halt any momentum from them later on and to gain their supporters with time. In addition, Yorty's team has actively been reaching out to Muskie supporters across all the caucuses frustrated with his lackluster campaign and who are inclined to support another moderate Democrat. It is the Yorty campaign's hope that following these caucuses, Muskie will fall. Finally, there is now a new largescale effort to convince Republican voters to participate in the Democratic contests with President Nixon looking to be the presumptive nominee. Yorty has the greatest crossover appeal for Republicans, which will also be an asset for the campaign heading into the general election, and he will capitalize on that appeal to give him an extra boost towards the finish line.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies