Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:39:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 51
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)  (Read 109203 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: September 12, 2015, 06:23:55 PM »

John Lindsay (1921-1972)

Tragedy struck the 1972 Campaign in a way no one had expected, as the frontrunner for the Democratic nomination, New York City Mayor John V. Lindsay perished yesterday on a plane crash as he flew towards Wisconsin to campaign in the upcoming primary. Witnesses and experts report that the plane crashed on the ground shortly after a take off due to an apparent failure in one of the engines, killing the Mayor, the pilot, and two members of his campaign staff. With his sudden death the position of New York City Mayor will be taken over by President of the City Council Sanford Garelik (D-NY), the post itself up for election in 1973.

After his change of party from Republican to Democrat back in 1971, Mayor Lindsay's brief campaign for the presidency saw enormous success in the wake of growing weaknesses from the Muskie campaign, allowing the Mayor to achieve a convincing win in the Arizona Caucus, a triumph in the Florida Primary and a not so convincing victory in the Illinois Primary. The favourite in the polls, many are already comparing his unfortunate demise to the death of Senator Robert Kennedy in the 1968 Presidential Campaign, as his death leaves about a quarter of democratic voters without their candidate, along with no less than 95 delegates that have pledged not to endorse any candidate before the Convention comes.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #451 on: September 12, 2015, 06:30:06 PM »

Two things the Schmitz Campaign would like to know the funeral date and when is this turn ending.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #452 on: September 12, 2015, 06:31:32 PM »

Ehhhh... I'll refrain from giving a funeral date, doesn't seem like an important detail to me. Turn ends tonight, so people have less than six hours for remaining schedules.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #453 on: September 12, 2015, 06:34:10 PM »

Muskie Statement on Mayor Lindsay's Death
John Lindsay and I had our political differences, however despite those, he was first and foremost in my mind a moral and honorable man. I am deeply saddened by his death. The city of New York, the Democratic party and the nation will worse off for his loss.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #454 on: September 12, 2015, 06:37:43 PM »

John G. Schmitz Statement on the death of Mayor John Lindsay

I personally didn't know Mayor Lindsay but his death was tragic and we are praying for him and we ask all to do the same. And we pray that the lord will welcome his soul into the graciousness of heaven and we ask the Lord to hear this.

John Schmtiz speaking at The Salt Lake Temple.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #455 on: September 12, 2015, 06:42:30 PM »

Statement on Mayor Lindsay's Tragic Passing
LaDonna and I are deeply saddened to hear of Mayor Lindsay's death. He was truly a great man, and I could sense in him a genuine regard for the well-being of America. He was an intelligent man, and through the course of our discussions, I developed a friendship with him. While we both were competing in these primaries, there was a certain bond between us. I'm going to miss Mayor Lindsay, and I know America will too. During this heavy-hearted time of loss, I pray for his family."
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #456 on: September 12, 2015, 06:54:03 PM »

On what day did Lindsay die, or is that unspecified?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #457 on: September 12, 2015, 06:58:19 PM »

On what day did Lindsay die, or is that unspecified?

Unspecified, it makes no difference in gameplay terms. Lindsay will get votes in the coming results (at least in Wisconsin since it was a primary), but from next turn on he is not considered to be on the ballot even if he filed in.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #458 on: September 12, 2015, 06:59:01 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2015, 12:14:57 AM by VPH »

Fred Harris GOTV Strategy
Missouri
-Target black communities in St. Louis and Kansas City
-Turn out students and youth
-Focus on turnout in St. Louis suburbs
-Target union members
-Push for a big win
-Ethnics in St Louis
-Mailer in St Louis area

South Carolina
-Focus on Yorty supporters and 'uncommitted' voters by emphasizing Fred Harris' strong record on unions and jobs
-Turn out blacks in Columbia and Charleston
-Focus on smaller inland cities
-Populist message all the way combined with hard work message
-Push for a decisive victory
-Mailer in Charleston area

Wisconsin
-Boost student turnout in Madison
-Turn out ethnic voters in Milwaukee and Kenosha
-Focus on factory workers
-Appeal to McGovern supporters with the fleshed out war/New GI Bill platform
-Get delegates

Minnesota
-Again, focus on big city Black voters
-Target progressives
-Cut into McCarthy's support by emphasizing Harris' true populist credentials
-Get the student vote
-Try to get some delegates out of the contest

General
-Court Lindsay supporters in big cities by appealing to the same constituencies and emphasizing his friendship
-Attract Yorty supporters by calling out his lies
-Attend Mayor Lindsay's funeral
-Set up a poll ride system in big cities with volunteers
-Fundraise through mailers
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #459 on: September 12, 2015, 07:19:30 PM »

Sam Yorty Statement on the Death of John Lindsay

Having met John Lindsay, I know that he was fundamentally a good man. He devoted his life to public service and did his best to better other people's lives. Even though Mayor Lindsay and I shared a number of disagreements on issues, that didn't cloud my vision of him as being genuine in his beliefs and passionate about improving the country. It is a tragedy that a life like his was cut so shortly, and we are all worse off without his voice. I extend my condolences to Mayor Lindsay's friends and family and wish all the best for them in these difficult times. He will be missed.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #460 on: September 12, 2015, 07:25:23 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2015, 07:32:09 PM by Classic Conservative »

Utah State Chairs and Co-Chairs

State Co-Chairs List

Author Cleon Skousen
Fmr. Secretary of Agriculture and Member of Quorum of 12 Ezra Taft Benson
Fmr. Governor and Salt Lake City Mayor J. Bracken Lee
Provo Mayor Verl Grant Dixon

County Chairs List

Beaver County: Bishop John McAbee, Dr. Phil Drescott MD and Nurse Mary Smith
Box Elder County: County Councilman Nephi Bozeman, Father Paco Rivera and Farmer Pete Heffstosn
Cache County: John Elders, Bishop Mark Squatch and Hillary Riverston
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #461 on: September 12, 2015, 07:58:18 PM »

Apologies for the abrupt drop out Lumine.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #462 on: September 12, 2015, 10:12:51 PM »

Schedule is being created as we speak! Sorry for the delay, school has been a bear for me Sad!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #463 on: September 12, 2015, 10:17:15 PM »

Schedule is being created as we speak! Sorry for the delay, school has been a bear for me Sad!

No worries, I'll wait until the schedule is posted.

Apologies for the abrupt drop out Lumine.

Not at all, Maxwell, I'm just sad you couldn't continue playing, xD (I confess the idea of Lindsay doing better in 72' was a truly fascinating one)
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #464 on: September 12, 2015, 10:29:49 PM »

The Nixon Campaign - March 22 to March 26, 1972

March 22:

- President Nixon attends to his executive duties at the White House in Washington, D.C. He addresses Congress and discusses many important issues of the day, including race relations and income inequality.

- President Nixon registers for the primary contests in Massachusetts and Pennsylvania, and makes sure that he will be able to participate in all other primaries/caucuses between now and then.

- President Nixon releases a statement regarding the death of fellow presidential candidate John Lindsay:

"This evening, Pat and I received news of the unfortunate and untimely death of Mayor John Lindsay. While Mayor Lindsay and I might not have agreed on many things politically, he was a man that I had always admired for, among many other qualities, his unfailing honesty, unwavering courage, and unflinching sincerity. I, personally, was heartbroken by the death of Mayor Lindsay, and I'm confident that the rest of the nation will join me in mourning the loss of this great man over the next days, weeks, and months. My family and I send our sincerest condolences to John's family and loved ones, and assure them that his memory will stay within our hearts for the rest of our days. Mayor Lindsay served as an inspiration to us all, and may he now be able to serve as an inspiration to all of our other passed friends and family in God's Kingdom."

- President Nixon boards Air Force 1 on an overnight flight to Missouri.

March 23:

- President Nixon holds a rally in Springfield, Missouri. He emphasizes his economic record as President and insists that during a second Nixon term, the middle and lower classes will benefit from his pragmatist, inclusive economic policies.

- President Nixon eats lunch with a group of Missouri farmers at their biweekly meeting in a rural town on the Missouri countryside. The President is especially impressed by the quality of pistachios that one of the farmers has cultivated, and is given two complimentary bags of the nut for his visit.

- President Nixon drives to Kansas City, Missouri, where he gives an awe-inspiring speech regarding his candidacy.

"Hello, people of Missouri! Thank you, thank you! First of all, let me just say that it's an honor to be here in this great state, and I'm ecstatic to have the opportunity to be able to meet with you and learn about what ideas you have for making our nation greater. I've never seen such an enthusiastic bunch of supporters before, and this just goes to show how Missouri is ready for another term for Nixon! In 1968, the people of Missouri placed their trust in me by choosing me to be their next President, and I hope above all else that I was able to keep this trust by fulfilling my promises as President and making life better for each and every single Missourian throughout the state, regardless of race, gender, religion, wealth, or social class. As President, I kept the interests of Missouri in mind by passing economic reform that eased the fiscal burdens of the working class, assuring that our nation can live in peace by initiating strategic arms limitation talks with the Soviet Union, and solving the problems of racial tensions by coming up with popular, agreeable solutions that improved the lives of all Americans. As election day approaches, my primary hope is that Missouri will, looking at my first term record and second term policy proposals, once more place its trust in me by electing me to continue serving as President of the United States."

March 24:

- President Nixon drives to Jefferson City, Missouri, where he spends the morning walking throughout the streets, talking with pedestrians and asking them what they think the government should do to better their lives and those of their fellow citizens. Questions that President Nixon was asked include:

Paul the Pedestrian: "President Nixon, while I am impressed by your record as President and policy proposals for a second term, I have to admit that I think Barry Goldwater is the best man for the job. What can you do to change my mind?"

President Nixon: "Well, Paul, who do you think has the most experience to be President?"

Paul the Pedestrian: "You do, I guess."

President Nixon: "And who do you think has, throughout his political career, had the best record for helping the average American?"

Paul the Pedestrian: "You have, I guess."

President Nixon: "And which candidate do you think has outlined more detailed, specific, and achievable policy goals during the campaign so far?"

Paul the Pedestrian: "You, I guess."

President Nixon: "Well, then, Paul. I believe you have answered your own question yourself."

Paul the Pedestrian: "I guess you're right, Mr. President!" (President Nixon hands Paul a Nixon campaign button, which he enthusiastically pins to his corduroy shirt. Paul then goes skipping down the street, singing to himself, "I'm ready for Nixon! I'm ready for Nixon!")

- President Nixon holds a mid-afternoon rally in Jefferson City, where he emphasizes his policy and goals regarding the war in Vietnam.

- President Nixon travels to St. Louis, where he eats dinner with a number of local aristocrats. He then delivers a stunning evening speech in a St. Louis convention hall, where he inspires the crowd with his inspiring speech regarding race relations and civil rights in the US of A.

March 25:

- President Nixon travels to South Carolina in the early hours of morning, where he is ready by daybreak to deliver a speech in Greenville, South Carolina.

"Hello, South Carolina! Thank you, thank you! What a fine morning it is today. The birds are chirping, the dew is dewing, and everyone is up bright and early to start another fine day in the American Dream. However, this may not be the case for long. If my opponents get their way and win the White House this November, the American Dream may be gone forever before we even know it. One of my biggest fears is that, on the morning of January 20, 1973, I will have to hand the keys to the Presidential Mansion over to someone who will abuse them for their own good, who will use their powers without consideration for others, who will do whatever they can to advance their own interests instead of investing in those of others. One of my biggest fears is that on that very same morning, America will wake up in a nation where they know that taxes on the middle class will do nothing but go up, the war in Vietnam will do nothing but get worse, and racial tensions throughout the nation will do nothing but become more severe. And one of my biggest fears - this one, I fret, has already come true - is that the situation I described can become true under both Democratic and Republican Administrations. People of South Carolina, I implore you to recognize that the primary elections and caucuses are just as important - if not more so - than the general election, and that in order for America to avoid the situations that I described, you need to get out and vote in the South Carolina Republican caucus on March 30 in order to make sure that over the next four years, our nation can remain confident that things are getting better, that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and that America has not yet seen its best days. South Carolina, I implore you to vote Richard Nixon for President in 1972."

- President Nixon travels to Rock Hill, South Carolina, where he enjoys lunch with local government officials, as well as a group of local citizens who have decided to come out and meet the President.

- President Nixon spends his afternoon in Greenwood, South Carolina, where he attends a rally in his honor. There he discusses in front of a crowd of thousands of people how he plans on making the nation better during a second Nixon term, highlighting his foreign policy successes with the Soviet Union, China, and other major world powers.

- President Nixon makes another speech in the evening in Florence, South Carolina, where he emphasizes his love for the Southern culture and way of living. The speech is viewed by many as a successful attempt to assure white voters that Nixon stands with them, even convincing a large portion of Wallace '68 voters to jump aboard the Nixon train in '72.

March 26:

- President Nixon spends the morning in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. He participates in many of the popular tourist attractions that define Myrtle Beach as a city, meeting a decent number of residents and tourists along the way. Before he leaves, President Nixon delivers a short speech on his second term policy proposals at the Town Hall.

- President Nixon spends the day in Columbia, South Carolina. He delivers a variety of speeches throughout the city, attending multiple rallies and shaking thousands of hands.

- President Nixon marches in a late-night parade in Sumter, South Carolina. His daily hand-shaking total is raised even further.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #465 on: September 12, 2015, 10:30:53 PM »

The Nixon Campaign - March 27 to March 31, 1972

March 27:

- President Nixon attends a rally in Hilton Head, South Carolina. He establishes his successful record as president and discusses the steps that the United States will take under a second Nixon administration to create better relations with the Soviet Union, China, and other world powers.

- President Nixon eats lunch in Walterboro, South Carolina, while on his way to North Charleston. The President emphasizes how his administration has helped to stop the spread of communism, and how he plans to continue doing so during a second term.

- President Nixon spends his afternoon in North Charleston, attending a variety of events and giving a number of short yet inspiring speeches. However, the big event of the night is Nixon's well-publicized evening foreign policy speech, in which he details his record as president and describes his second-term foreign policy proposals.

"Hello, people of South Carolina! Thank you, thank you! You know, I'll tell you one thing - if I could choose any one place in the world to live in for the rest of my life, I would very well consider none other than the state of South Carolina (*cheers from audience*). You heard me right! I know of hardly anywhere else in the world where the people are happier, freer, more productive, and more content than in this state. South Carolina is an epitome of everything good about freedom and democracy, and I'm proud above all to have this state as part of our nation. However, not everywhere in the world enjoys all of the great things that South Carolina does. Take the Soviet Union, for example. Ever since the Communists took over that d*mned nation, they've seen nothing but poverty, death, and despair. I feel sorry for the people of the USSR, but I feel nothing but spite for those who lead it. Now, I would think that no person in the right mind would spread such an ideology as communism if they've already seen what kind of results it produces. But boy, I would be wrong. Rather than quashing the poverty and dismay that plagues the people of the Soviet Union even today, the people at the top of the Communist chain of command wish to expand their ideology. For some sick, twisted, perverted reason, they think that more nations in the world need communism, and they think that those nations need it now. That's what caused the war in Korea, that's what caused the war in Vietnam, and that's what will cause countless more wars in the future unless we can put the spread of communism to a stop. Now, I can't speak for the other candidates in this race, but I know that if I'm reelected president, I will stop at nothing to make sure that the spread of communism does not continue to operate, that this flawed ideology does not cause any more people to suffer, that the Communist leaders responsible for hurting the people of their nations will be brought to justice. If reelected, I will continue my quest to stop communism, and I will do whatever it takes to make sure that our nation does not go down the Communist path that so many others have. Now, of course, why should you trust me? Well, I'll tell you why. Throughout my first term, I have worked tirelessly with these nations to come up with effective, yet peaceful ways to end the communist spread and bring capitalism and democracy back around the world. I initiated peace talks with the Soviet Union that would curb the number of nuclear devices in that nation's possession, and most notably, I ended twenty-five years of a lack of substantial diplomatic relations by being the first President in the history of the United States to visit China. I talked with the leaders of that nation, and we came up with comprehensive plans to better our nations' relations and restore freedom and democracy to a nation that is currently ravaged by communism. You've seen President Nixon in action, and you know how I'll continue my worldwide travels in my second term to talk with foreign leaders and make sure they know that the United States will not back down, that we will fight until freedom and democracy is restored to the world, and that we will do so through a process of mutual consent, understanding, and peace."

March 28:

- President Nixon attends to his presidential duties in Washington, D.C.

- President Nixon eats three Oreo cookies for dessert, but makes sure to scrape the cream off of the insides of the cookies before eating them because he likes to eat the cookies and the cream separately.

March 29:

- President Nixon takes a short flight to Charleston, South Carolina, where he spends his day making sure that he is able to win the South Carolina caucuses. In the morning, he delivers a high-quality speech to a crowd of awestruck GOP caucusgoers.

"Hello, South Carolina! Thank you, thank you! It's wonderful to be here this morning, and it's wonderful to know that in less than twenty-four hours, South Carolina Republicans will be attending caucuses throughout the state to determine who they want their party's nominee to be. Ahh, democracy at work. What a sight to see. Especially in South Carolina, a state in which I trust the voters will choose who to support based off of who they know has the most conservative political record, who they know has the most courage, fortitude, and conscientiousness necessary to lead our nation, who they know will fight to preserve the rights and freedoms of all South Carolinians, regardless of what it takes. One of my favorite things about South Carolina is your state's rich culture, your state's embrace for traditional Southern values, and your state's willingness and enthusiasm to become involved in the political process. I love the culture of the South - I love your food, your traditions, your celebrations, your ways of life - and I know that out of all the states, I know I can rely on South Carolina to be the loyal and enthusiastic cup bearer of the Southern culture. But I'll tell you one thing - if I'm reelected President of the United States, I'll bring Southern values to Washington, D.C. I'll fight through compassionate conservatism to uphold the traditions and ways of living of the South, and I'll make sure that South Carolina's dignity as a state can be preserved. I'm not sure if my Democratic opponents - or even my Republican primary one - would be willing to do the same, but South Carolina, I can guarantee you that I will do whatever it takes to assure the South that its values, traditions, and ideas aren't going unheard in our nation's capital."

- President Nixon spends the afternoon making a variety of speeches and attending a variety of rallies around the city, with the goal of convincing voters to place their vote for the President during tomorrow's caucuses.

- President Nixon eats dinner at a large event in central Charleston, where he meets a variety of local residents and convinces them that a Nixon vote in tomorrow's caucuses is the right choice for them.

March 30:

- President Nixon further attempts to fulfill his duties as President, discussing a variety of policy proposals with his Cabinet and speaking with Congress about a new trade deal.

- President Nixon watches the results of the South Carolina, Minnesota, and Missouri caucuses come in.

- President Nixon sings his favorite tune while taking his evening shower. President Nixon is disappointed when he hears his wife snickering from the other side of the bathroom wall. However, President Nixon's mood is brightened again when he is able to play fetch with his dogs before he goes to bed. Right after President Nixon's wife turns the light switch off in their bedroom, however, she can hear him munching on a few more Oreo cookies. Angry, President Nixon's wife turns the light switch back on, and confiscates the rest of President Nixon's cookies. President Nixon is sad because he wanted to eat the rest of the cookies but was unable to.

March 31:

- President Nixon flies to Moab City, Utah.

- President Nixon delivers a variety of speeches around the city of Moab throughout the day, with most of them revolving around his reliable record as a legislator and executive, especially compared to that of Barry Goldwater.

- President Nixon delivers a speech in Cedar City, Utah, revolving around how his economic policies favor the businesses and economic conditions of the Beehive State.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #466 on: September 12, 2015, 10:31:44 PM »

The Nixon Campaign - April 1 to April 4, 1972

April 1:

- President Nixon plays a prank on his wife for April Fools' Day by tricking her into thinking that their daughter, Tricia, is pregnant.

- President Nixon spends his day in Salt Lake City, trying to get his poll numbers up before the Utah Caucuses take place. He is endorsed by J. Bracken Lee, the former two-term Governor of Utah (1949-1957) who has most recently served for eleven years as the Mayor of Salt Lake City itself (1960-1971). Lee makes the following speech regarding Nixon's candidacy:

"Hello, people of Salt Lake City! Thank you, thank you! Tonight, I make just one request to you. One simple request. And that request is that, in the upcoming Utah Republican caucuses, you place your vote for President Richard Nixon. Just as I brought economic prosperity and fiscal responsibility to Salt Lake City throughout my time as Governor of Utah and mayor, President Nixon has brought economic prosperity and fiscal responsibility to the whole nation throughout his years in office. The number of President Nixon's accomplishments as President are larger than the number of stars in the sky, and our nation is clearly in a better state than it was before President Nixon took office. He has accomplished things that I never could have dreamed of accomplishing as Governor, and I am confident that President Nixon has what it takes to serve another four years as President of the United States. Not only does Nixon's record show that of a true hero and a true conservative - fighting the spread of communism around the world, developing successful negotiations with the world powers of the Soviet Union and China, quashing racial tensions through consensual, consistent, and effective social policies, rescuing our nation's economy from what was sure to be a deep downward spiral - but he has also provided a number of common-sense, achievable, principled policy proposals for his second term that I would love to see initiated. And I'm sure you would as well, Utah. Now I know that a good number of you support Nixon's primary opponent - Barry Goldwater. And I view him positively as well. But after taking a good, hard look at each candidate's experiences, ideas, and proposals, I've decided that Nixon is clearly the better choice for our nation. I encourage all of Utah's Republican voters to hop aboard the Nixon train, and implore everyone to get out and vote when the caucus day comes to make sure that President Nixon gets four more years!"

April 2:

- President Nixon flies to Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

- President Nixon spends the morning greeting voters in Milwaukee, excited to have them vote in the upcoming primary elections.

- President Nixon attends two separate rallies in the city in the afternoon, though by far the most notable event of the day is his evening speech outside of the Milwaukee Town Hall.

April 3:

- President Nixon spends the morning in Madison, Wisconsin. He attends a rally and emphasizes the positive effects of his economic stances on the middle and working classes.

- President Nixon eats lunch at a deli in Madison, though must soon relocate outside as a large crowd begins to form around him.

- President Nixon spends the evening campaigning in Green Bay, emphasizing his record as President and assuring voters that he is the best Republican to continue to the general election in November. His speech is as follows:

"Hello, people of Wisconsin! Thank you, thank you! As I'm sure many of you know, tomorrow, Republicans around the state will be going to the ballot box to vote on who they think our party's nominee should be in November's general election. I've heard many arguments in favor of voting for my opponent, Representative Barry Goldwater. Now, I'll be the first to admit that Goldwater is a fine man - nowhere else have I seen such an epitome of genuineness and sincerity. However, one must ask - which of the candidates has the most experience necessary to be President of the United States? Which candidate knows how to work with Congress in order to pass productive, effective legislation that can change our nation for the better? Which candidate has the policy proposals necessary to improve the lives of all Americans? The answer to those questions, my dear Wisconsinites, is none other than President Nixon himself. Throughout my years as a Senator, President, and Vice President, I've learned the value of hard work, resilience, and respect, and I believe that I have applied those skills to my past experiences in order to create a successful first-term record as President. I passed a number of fiscal bills that improved the economic conditions of many working and middle-class American families, and I helped to curb racial tensions throughout the states by introducing agreeable, effective ideas for reform that everyone can find themselves supporting. But arguably most important of all, I have, throughout my time as President, prevented the spread of communism - an evil ideology - throughout the world to the best of my ability. I have encouraged the expansion of freedom and democracy through my discussions with leaders in the Soviet Union and China, and I have assured the world that America will not stop working until everyone, regardless of race, gender, nationality, wealth, or social class, will have access to the freedoms and democracy that make the human race superior to all others. I am the best choice, America, and I implore you to consider another vote for President Nixon in the upcoming election. Thank you, and goodnight!"

April 4:

- President Nixon does some last-minute campaigning in Kenosha, Wisconsin. He drives around the city, meeting with voters to tell them that Nixon is the best choice for President. He also delivers quite a few short speeches that manage to convince a few last-minute primary voters to change their vote to Nixon.

- President Nixon spends the evening watching the election results come in. However, his wife discovers the box of Oreos that he is hiding under the pillow. They have a fierce debate over whether Nixon should be allowed to eat the Oreos or not, with the two spouses eventually coming to an agreement and allowing Nixon to eat half of the Oreos left in the package.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #467 on: September 12, 2015, 10:45:46 PM »

Sam Yorty Campaign Schedule: March 22-April 4

March 22
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Clemson, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Greer, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Conway, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Hanahan, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Aiken, SC

I'm with you, South Carolina. All the other candidates on the campaign trail may say some pretty words to woo you and get their votes, but don't let them fool you. When you just scratch the surface, you'll see that they're all the same politicians as we've seen before. I am the only candidate running who truly represents Southern values. Like you, I understand the importance of a strong national defense. I understand that we need order at home, too--something that my opponents don't seem to get. I also understand that we need to be careful about how we handle our resources, and we can't risk social change too quickly as some experiment. If you believe in my message, then I'm your only choice this year, South Carolina.

March 23
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Lexington, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Bluffton, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Anderson, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in St. Andrews, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Five Forks, SC

We need a sane economic policy for once. The policies that President Nixon have pushed for have added more grief and less relief. What we need are solutions that do just the opposite! The reckless spending under Nixon's adminstration has added more debt that future generations must pay for. A Yorty administration will control spending and keep us in solvency. Instead of rampant inflation and price controls that worsen the problem, we will find new solutions to control inflation and keep our economy stable. This will happen, but only if we have new leadership in the White House.

March 24
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Parker, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Fort Mill, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Dentsville, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Florence, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Spartanburg, SC

This ERA nonsense just baffles me. Doesn't it do that to you as well? They say that women don't get the equality that they deserve, and that the law doesn't protect them like they do men. Maybe they should check the Constitution once in a while. Our 14th Amendment already guarantees what they claim to want: equality under the law. What more do they want? Folks, I'm a lawyer, so I think I know a little bit about this subject. Here's what I think about the ERA: These feminists should go back to burning bras instead of pretending to be legal scholars!

March 25
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Greenville, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Mount Pleasant, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in North Charleston, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Charleston, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Columbia, SC

March 26
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Wildwood, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Raytown, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Wentzville, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Jefferson City, MO
-Fundraiser in St. Louis, MO

The rise of birth control concerns me, and it should you. By promoting contraception, we are abdicating our responsibilities and telling our kids that whatever they do will have no consequences. A society that does that will soon go into decline. Now that unmarried couples have the same access to birth control as married couples, we will see more and more immoral behavior in the years to come. The Supreme Court made the wrong decision here, and as President, I will do what I can to encourage morals in government.

March 27
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Hazelwood, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Joplin, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Chesterfield, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Florissant, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Maryland Heights, MO

March 28
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Blue Springs, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in St. Peters, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in St. Charles, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Lee's Summit, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Columbia, MO

This new offensive by North Vietnam shows that the fight in that region is not over, and any attempt to skirt the issue will lead to more lost lives and the further spread of communism. While our President is occupied on fruitless peace talks, he's ignoring our troops who are ready to mobilize. Instead, they're not being used to their fullest potential, and we've got the best soldiers in the world! We've got to set a new strategy for Vietnam: one that will tackle the North head on and constrict them at their weakest points. All of the other Democrats are calling for withdrawal when the latest news shows the importance of actually finishing this battle. Allow me the opportunity to become President and win in Vietnam once and for all.

March 29
-Barnstorming and GOTV in St. Joseph, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Independence, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Springfield, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in St. Louis, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Kansas City, MO

March 30
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Duluth City, MN
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Bloomington, MN
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Rochester City, MN
-Barnstorming and GOTV in St. Paul, MN
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Minneapolis, MN

Say what you want about me, but you know where I stand. I can't be bought out because I truly am my own man. While all of my opponents spout the same generic talking points and slavishly devote themselves to the national Democratic Party, I've charted my own path and have gotten the respect of many along the way. People say that Minnesota is McCarthy territory and there's no reason to compete here, but I know Minnesotans have the same independent spirit as me. Tonight, I want you all to show the nation that we can keep on surprising the political establishment. Will you stand with me, Minnesota?

March 31
-Town Hall in Liberal, KS
-Town Hall in El Dorado, KS
-Roundtable Discussion (Economy) in Lawrence, KS
-Rally and Voter Registration in Topeka, KS
-Fundraiser in Wichita, KS

April 1
-Town Hall in Lake Ridge, VA
-Town Hall in Lynchburg, VA
-Rally and Voter Registration in Hampton, VA
-Rally and Voter Registration in Portsmouth, VA
-Fundraiser in Virginia Beach, VA

The reckless busing policies that Washington is pursuing will damage the education of children here in Virginia and across the country. If you really want to pursue equality, then you need to change minds and hearts, not ram it down the throats of ordinary Americans. They're mad, and I am too. When I get in the White House, we'll be pursuing a sane education policy--not one hijacked by civil rights extremists who only want to push their agenda!

April 2
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Fitchburg, WI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in New Berlin, WI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in La Crosse, WI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in West Allis, WI
-Fundraiser in Milwaukee, WI

April 3
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Janesville, WI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Appleton, WI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Wauwatosa, WI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Eau Claire, WI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Racine, WI

Don't let anybody fool you, Wisconsin: I am labor's biggest champion. You look at the track records of all the candidates and no one can outshine me. For 40 years, I've been at the forefront of the issue, longer than anybody else. I fought the California Highway Patrol on the street when they wanted to end union strikes, and I've kept on fighting for the little man against the big business elites who only want an extra buck. As Mayor of Los Angeles, I've still been fighting for stronger unions and stronger communities, and I'll continue that fight in Washington, D.C. With such a proud record of labor here in this state, I need you to send a message that the stuffy elites in our party will not be able to silence the good people of this country!

April 4
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Waukesha, WI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Fond Du Lac, WI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Milwaukee, WI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Green Bay, WI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Madison, WI

It's very sad that Mayor Lindsay's life ended the way it did. Even when I disagreed with the man, I knew he was fighting for better lives like the rest of us. Although he's gone, his presence is still felt. I respected Mayor Lindsay for also bringing up some issues that other candidates have ignored. He talked about the crime wave sweeping the country and the need to put an end to this lunacy, like I have. He also pointed out the many failures of Nixon's economic policy that have only made our economy weaker and less prepared for the next recession. Like Mayor Lindsay, these issues have been driving my own campaign. If this is a message that you care about, then I humbly ask for your vote tonight, Wisconsin. Thank you.

Campaign Activities

-Aggressive fundraising in California, New York, Florida, Illinois, Texas, Michigan, and Ohio
-Contacting new donors in California, New York, Florida, Texas, Virginia, and North Carolina
-Opening up campaign offices in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, and Pennsylvania
-Strengthening campaign offices in Virginia and Kansas
-Recruiting more volunteers in Virginia and Kansas
-Direct advertising in Virginia, Kansas, Hawaii, Idaho, and Montana

The Yorty campaign will file for the Massachusetts and Pennsylvania primaries.

/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #468 on: September 12, 2015, 10:47:20 PM »

The Nixon Campaign - Advertisement 2

"What makes a good President?"

"Is it courage?"

"Enthusiasm?"

"Or simply the willingness to do what's right?"

"Regardless, Nixon is your guy."

"He's brave, he's intelligent, and above all, he's willing to do whatever it takes to help the everyday American folk out."

"This is shown through the economic and social reforms he has passed, as well has his legendary work in reestablishing a relationship with China, negotiating peace with the USSR, and stopping the spread of communism."

"So if you want a brighter future for America, make sure to get out to vote and support President Nixon!"

_______

Ad played in:

/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #469 on: September 12, 2015, 10:58:26 PM »

The Nixon Campaign - Advertisement 3

"What kind of presidential candidate is Richard Nixon?"

"Will he stand up for South Carolina?"

"Does he care for our traditions?"

"Our values?"

"The answer: Yes."

"Richard Nixon loves the South."

"He'll fight for it as President, and will make sure never to forget about what the South means to him."

"So remember to get out and voter for Richard Nixon on March 30!"

_______

Ad played in:

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #470 on: September 12, 2015, 11:21:43 PM »

Sam Yorty GOTV Strategy: South Carolina, Missouri, Minnesota, Wisconsin

With the new set of upcoming primaries, the Yorty campaign feels hopeful that victory can be achieved in at least one state (South Carolina), along with convincing showings in the others. South Carolina and Missouri represent the best chances for strong performances, and the campaign has been working around the clock to mobilize caucus-goers and to organize operations for caucus night. The other two states, Minnesota and Wisconsin, also are getting attention with the hope of attaining at least the 15% minimum to win delegates. For all of the primaries, these are the following methods used for GOTV that they share:

-Targeting undecided voters, highlighting Yorty’s independent streak and willingness to “speak the truth” on law and order along with other issues
-Targeting blue collar voters in urban and suburban areas, highlighting the economy, labor issues, law and order, and Vietnam
-Targeting ethnic voters statewide, highlighting the economy, labor issues, law and order, and Vietnam
-Targeting white collar voters in urban areas, highlighting the economy, education, and law and order
-Targeting low-income voters across the state (especially in rural areas), highlighting the economy, education, and healthcare
-Targeting union members across the state, highlighting labor, the economy, education, and healthcare
-Targeting disaffected Democrats across the state who normally don't vote
-Persuading former Lindsay supporters to switch to Yorty, highlighting their similarities on issues such as law and order along with noting their civility to each other on the campaign trail
-Persuading Muskie supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Muskie as "just another politician" and showcasing Yorty as a similar moderate Democrat
-Persuading Harris supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Harris for his extreme anti-war views on Vietnam and pointing to Yorty as the more "genuine" champion of issues such as labor, education, healthcare, etc.

In addition to these actions, other specific actions are being taken for certain states:

South Carolina
-Targeting uncommitted voters, pointing to Yorty as the "true" Southern candidate who will fight for them
-Mobilizing sympathetic party officers concerned with busing, law and order, etc.

Missouri
-Targeting farmers, highlighting Yorty's stances on defending and expanding agriculture

Minnesota
-Persuading McCarthy supporters, criticizing McCarthy's extreme anti-war views and pointing to Yorty as a champion on issues like labor, education, healthcare, etc.
-Targeting Scandinavian voters, promoting Yorty's stances on law and order, education, healthcare, etc.

Wisconsin
-Targeting factory workers, highlighting issues such as law and order, labor, education, and the economy

With the sudden death of John Lindsay, his departure leaves a pool of voters left to grab, and the Yorty campaign has been pushing like no other campaign to claim those voters and set their minds on Yorty. To do this, the campaign has been comparing Yorty and Lindsay as both being moderate Democrats who had common themes such as law and order. It is the campaign's belief that Lindsay voters will be the key to strong performances across the board, including overcoming the 15% threshold in Minnesota and Wisconsin. By winning a plurality of Lindsay voters, Yorty will jump into frontrunner status and come out in first place at the convention.

Here, organization is key. The Yorty campaign has been known for a tremendously strong GOTV operation in all of the primaries so far, and they are continuing their work for these two weeks. The best organizations are in the three caucus states (South Carolina, Missouri, Minnesota) where it is expected that they will once again put fear into the hearts of their rivals. The campaign hopes that after the results in these states, they will solidify Yorty as the candidate for moderate and conservative Democrats.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #471 on: September 12, 2015, 11:46:45 PM »

Newspaper Ad: Values

Fred Harris supports immediately withdrawing from Vietnam.

Fred Harris also supports immediate forced busing nationwide.

In these troubled times, Fred Harris is not the man to lead the nation.

Vote for someone who shares your values. Vote for Sam Yorty.

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #472 on: September 12, 2015, 11:51:12 PM »

Sam Yorty Surrogates

James F. Byrnes: Barnstorming and GOTV in SC
William Loeb: Barnstorming and GOTV in WI
W. Haydon Burns: Barnstorming and GOTV in WI
Otto Kerner, Jr.: Barnstorming and GOTV in MN
John W. King: Barnstorming and GOTV in MO
Ross Perot: Fundraising in TX
Happy Chandler: Barnstorming and GOTV in SC
Robert Byrd: Barnstorming and GOTV in SC
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #473 on: September 13, 2015, 12:01:14 AM »

McGovern Campaign Schedule, March 21 - 27, 1972

Tuesday, Mar 21: SOUTH CAROLINA
Myrtle Beach - Policy Speech - "Fair Taxation: No More Loopholes"
Anderson - Town Hall
Summerville - Barnstorming

Myrtle Beach, SC

Wednesday, Mar 22: SOUTH CAROLINA
Mount Pleasant - Barnstorming
Columbia - Rally on "American Agriculture: Subsidize American Farmers"
Beaufort - Town Hall

Thursday, Mar 23:  MISSOURI
St. Louis - Policy Speech - "The G.I. Bill of Rights"
Kansas City - Town Hall
Branson - Barnstorming

Friday, Mar 24: MINNESOTA
Bloomington - Barnstorming
St. Paul - Town Hall
Minneapolis - Policy Speech - "Womens Rights: We Need the ERA"

Minneapolis, MN

Saturday, Mar 25:  IDAHO
Pocatello - Town Hall Speech
Boise - Testimony in the Idaho State House on "Revitalizing Rural America"
Idaho Falls - Barnstorming

Boise State House

Sunday, Mon 26: MONTANA/WISCONSIN
Billings - Town Hall
Missoula - Barnstorming
Madison - Rally on "Southeast Asia: We Must Get Out"

Monday, Mon 27: WISCONSIN/WASHINGTON D.C.
Eau Claire - Rally on "Civil Rights Are Human Rights"
Washington D.C. - Congressional Duties

Tuesday, Mar 28: SOUTH CAROLINA
Charleston - Rally on "A Guaranteed Job For All Americans"
Spartanburg - Barnstorming

Charleston, SC

Wednesday, Mar 29: SOUTH CAROLINA
Lexington - Rally on "Arms Control"
Aiken - Town Hall
Clemson - Barnstorming

Thursday, Mar 30:  SOUTH CAROLINA
Bluffton - Policy Speech - "Social Security: Protect Our Seniors"
Easley - Town Hall
-Speech to SC Volunteers

Friday, Apr 1: WISCONSIN
Kenosha - Barnstorming
Racine - Rally on "Disengagement From This Terrible War"
Oshkosh - Town Hall

Saturday, Apr 2:  WISCONSIN
Wisconsin Dells - Town Hall Speech
Green Bay - Barnstorming
La Crosse - Rally on "Vietnam: Withdraw On Day One"

Green Bay, WI

Sunday, Apr 3: IDAHO
Lewiston - Policy Speech - Disengagement From This Terrible War
Coeur d'Alene - Barnstorming
Meridan - Town Hall

Monday, Apr 4: WISCONSIN/WASHINGTON D.C.
- Speech to Wisconsin Volunteers in Madison
Washington D.C. - Congressional Duties

McGovern Speaking In Madison

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #474 on: September 13, 2015, 12:11:16 AM »
« Edited: September 14, 2015, 01:28:20 PM by VPH »

The Yorty Record (Radio)
"Where I grew up, in rural Oklahoma, we, like you, grew up taught to be honest and hard working. However, it seems Sam Yorty wasn't raised that way. His recent attacks are gross lies about me. Liars don't have my mercy, but I'm glad he's giving me the chance to reiterate my positions.

I've said time and time again that I only advocate withdrawal from Vietnam on the return of all of our POW's. We won't leave any men behind. When our vets return, they'll get an education and health benefits through my GI Bill to help them out. The only radical here is Sam Yorty. Mayor Yorty supports expanding this failed venture.

Moreover, his statements on busing are moot. I think that's an issue for voters to decide. We all know there are more effective ways to create an environment of integration. This means ensuring economic fairness first and foremost.

Sam Yorty's lies are repulsive and run contrary to all I was taught growing up. One doesn't need to lie about Mayor Yorty. The facts speak for themselves. Let's take a look at the facts on Saigon Sam's record:
-Failed to handle an outbreak of riots in his streets, leading to deaths
-Appointed corrupt cronies to the Harbor Commission
-Refused to endorse a Democrat in 1968, hoping for support from Nixon
-Allowed crime to increase under his tenure

Don't believe a demagogue. Believe a man of the people. Vote Fred Harris.

Harris-Man of the People (TV)

"Who stood up for Native Americans and farmers when the big oil companies wanted to trample on their land? Fred Harris. Who supports a GI Bill for returning Vietnam vets? Fred Harris. Who advocates closing loopholes for the Wall Street fat cats and giving main street a break? Fred Harris. Who's the first candidate to openly support the ERA? Fred Harris. Who knows how to balance law and order and racial progress from his experience? Fred Harris. There's only one candidate in the race who cares about the factory workers, farmer, plumbers, homemakers, cooks, construction workers, and veterans of America. Go ahead, guess who he is. Cast your ballot for Senator Harris. He'll be your voice in DC.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies