Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:40:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 51
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)  (Read 108718 times)
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: August 24, 2015, 12:28:40 AM »

So is this extended to tomorrow?
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #326 on: August 24, 2015, 12:30:08 AM »

Yeah, tomorrow night.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #327 on: August 24, 2015, 04:40:33 PM »

Is it tonight or tomorrow night for the next round?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #328 on: August 24, 2015, 04:41:49 PM »

Tomorrow night it is. It could have been tonight, but I would rather leave the Nixon player enough time to prepare.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #329 on: August 24, 2015, 04:46:35 PM »

Tomorrow night it is. It could have been tonight, but I would rather leave the Nixon player enough time to prepare.

Thanks! I appreciate it.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #330 on: August 24, 2015, 05:07:09 PM »

March 8th-14th - Frontrunner Lindsay!

"With our campaign ahead in the polls, it's clear that Washington hears us. They just don't want to respond! The voices of men, women, and children, white, black, hispanic all are calling for an end to the Washington echo-chamber and a beginning of the right priorities for our country. I've been fighting for the people my whole career and I won't stop when we win this primary and send a President to Washington, not the other way around!"

March 8th:
Barnstorming in Jacksonville, Florida
Town Hall in Jacksonville Beach, Florida
Town Hall in St. Augestine, Florida

March 9th:
Barnstorming in Daytona Beach, Florida
Meet and Greet in Leesburg, Florida
Barnstorming in Orlando, Florida

March 10th:
Fundraising in Orlando, Florida
Town Hall in Haines City, Florida
Town Hall in Barlow, Florida

"Seniors in this country have it hard enough as it is. Washington Bureacrats, every time seniors finally get the benefits they need, they cut other benefits in the name of 'restraint'. With friends like that, you don't need enemies. In New York, I expanded housing for senior citizens, and I will work for Seniors and expand Social Security and Medicare as President."

March 11th:
Barnstorming in Tampa, Florida
Fundraising in Tampa, florida
Barnstorming in St. Petersburg, Florida

March 12th:
Meet and Greet in Clearwater, Florida
Meet and Greet in Largo, Florida
Meet and Greet in Englewood, Florida

"Senator Muskie has changed his message - he's gone from sounding like the frontrunner to the sounding like the fighting challenger. Only problem: he's been a part of the Washington echo-chamber for years. Edmund Muskie has not stood for the working class, he has not stood for the families of those in Vietnam, he has stood for the Washington political class. And the truth is, the Senators in this race all have one thing in common - they have made their voices heard, but have done nothing of substance on the issues. As President, I will bring our troops home immediately, I will put forward progarms that benefit middle Americans rather than upper class, and I will fight for a fair and reasonable wage. And I've been Mayor of New York, so I know how to fight. *audience laughs*"

March 13th:
Town Hall in Port Charlotte, Florida
Town Hall in Fort Meyers, Florida
Town Hall in Cape Corai, Florida

"Today is your final day. It's time to head to the ballot box to make your voice heard. President Nixon doesn't want to face me. He doesn't want to face someone who has stood up for the people in the second toughest job in the country. He doesn't want to face someone who has given educational oppurutunities to students white and black, given seniors the right to live as they deserve, and has stood courageously against Vietnam while other politicians cowered in fear. In the Florida primary, cast your ballot for the electors for John Lindsay, and we'll really give Richard Nixon hell!"

March 14th:
GOTV in the Miami-Miami Beach Area, Florida
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #331 on: August 24, 2015, 09:55:52 PM »

Fred Harris Endorsements
Former Alaska Governor and Former Senator Ernest Gruening

"I'm overjoyed that Senator Harris is in this race. What's happening to America under Nixon is reprehensible, especially in regards to Vietnam and here at home too. People like Mike Gravel are seeking a quick power grab, but I know Fred Harris is the real deal."
Activities: Ernest Gruening will be organizing efforts in Alaska and Hawaii and meeting voters

Former Florida Senator and FL-11 Rep. Claude Pepper

"My constituents are all talking about Fred Harris, even though he's not on the Florida ballot. Some even say they'll write him in! I've had the chance to sit down with Senator Harris and I approve of the direction in which he wants to take this country. Senator Harris is one of the few who recognizes the pressing need for responsible fiscal policy that helps the most vulnerable among us. Moreover, he has a key understanding of how healthcare can be fixed."
Activities: Claude Pepper will be attending to congressional duties for part of the week, but will campaign in South Carolina on his days off.

Reverend and Civil Rights Leader Jesse Jackson

"I take great pleasure in endorsing Senator Fred Harris in his run for presidency! He will end the racial struggles plaguing this nation and bring forth equality for all Americans, no matter what their skin color is."
Activities: Jesse Jackson will be speaking for Harris in black communities across Illinois and Missouri

Past Endorsers
Mayor Henry Maier: The mayor will be fundraising for Sen. Harris in Milwaukee, along with distributing info
Fmr. Senator Mike Monroney: Monroney will be barnstorming in Kansas, Utah, and Wyoming
Senator J. William Fulbright: Senator Fulbright will be barnstorming in Alabama and Georgia for 3 days while not in senate duties
Rep. William Roy: Rep. Roy will be organizing in Kansas and meeting with union reps in Wichita and KCK.
Phillip Berrigan: Berrigan will set up 'Students For Harris" chapters at Illinois State, Northwestern, and University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign.
Senator Jennings Randolph: Senator Randolph will barnstorm in Virginia and Western Minnesota
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #332 on: August 24, 2015, 10:26:47 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2015, 08:27:55 PM by NeverAgain »

Thanks will have mine up tomorrow!
EDIT: Just got off work, now on to my schedule!
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #333 on: August 25, 2015, 08:24:44 PM »

Goldwater Jr in '72: The Candidate for You

March 8th:
Fly to Lincoln, IL
Organize Write-In Campaign
Town Hall in Lincoln, IL
Fly to Pensacola, FL

March 9th:
Town Hall in Pensacola
Barnstorm and GOTV in Pensacola, FL and Surrounding Areas
Barnstorm and GOTV in Panama City, FL and Surrounding Areas

March 10th:
Town Hall in Tallahassee, FL
Barnstorm and GOTV in Tallahassee, FL and Surrounding Areas
Barnstorm and GOTV in Gainesville, FL and Surrounding Areas
Barnstorm and GOTV in Daytona Beach, FL and Surrounding Areas

March 11th:
Town Hall in Saint Augustine, FL
Barnstorm and GOTV in Saint Augustine, FL and Surrounding Areas
Barnstorm and GOTV in Jacksonville, FL and Surrounding Areas
Rally in Jacksonville, FL

March 12th:
Town Hall in Orlando, FL
Barnstorm and GOTV in Orlando, FL and Surrounding Areas
Barnstorm and GOTV in Kissimmee, FL and Surrounding Areas

March 13th:
Town Hall in Tampa, FL
Barnstorm and GOTV in Tampa, FL and Surrounding Areas
Barnstorm and GOTV in Saint Petersburg, FL and Surrounding Areas
Barnstorm and GOTV in Sarasota, FL and Surrounding Areas

March 14th:

Barnstorm and GOTV in Fort Myers, FL and Surrounding Areas
Barnstorm and GOTV in Boca Raton, FL and Surrounding Areas
Barnstorm and GOTV in Fort Lauderdale, FL and Surrounding Areas
Barnstorm and GOTV in Miami, FL and Surrounding Areas
Hold Election Night party in Miami

Run Previous ad in FL, IL, SC, MO

Endorsers
Rep. Sam Steiger (Barnstorming and leading staffers and volunteers in GOTV efforts in FL)
Rep. John Jacob Rhodes (Barnstorming and leading staffers and volunteers in GOTV efforts in his FL)
Senator Goldwater: (Barnstorming and leading volunteers in GOTV in small towns across FL)
Senator James Buckley: (Fundraising)
Senator Paul Fannin (Barnstorming and leading volunteers in GOTV in small towns across FL)
Governor Williams (Barnstorming and GOTV in FL)
Fmr. Sec. of Def. Thomas S. Gates, Jr. (Barnstorming and GOTV in FL)
William F. Buckley: (Barnstorming and GOTV in FL)
Robert Taft Jr.: (Barnstorming and GOTV in FL)
Howard Morgens: (Barnstorming and GOTV in FL)
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #334 on: August 25, 2015, 10:12:54 PM »

Past Muskie Endorsers

Gov. Harold Hughes of Iowa:
Hearns will act as Muskie for America's chairman for the Wisconsin Primary, directing campaign offices there, and holding fundraisers.

Sen. Stuart Symington of Missouri:
Symington will act as Muskie for America's chairman for the Illinois Primary, directing the campaign offices there, and holding fundraisers.

Gov. Warren Hearnes of Missouri:
Hearnes will act as a chairman for the Missouri Primary. He will attend fundraisers, and barnstorm across the state.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #335 on: August 25, 2015, 10:20:11 PM »

About two hours left, let me know if there are any problems.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #336 on: August 25, 2015, 11:05:28 PM »

Sam Yorty Campaign Schedule: March 8-14

March 8
-Rally in Normal, IL
-Rally in Oak Park, IL
-Rally in Elmhurst, IL
-Rally in Des Plaines, IL
-Fundraiser in Aurora, IL

The labor movement is an integral part of the American way of life. With labor, the little guy has a force that he can rally behind to do good. Not only can he benefit himself, but his co-workers, family, and the entire community. Without labor, the little guy is left with no strong shield to counter titans of industry. We have some Democrats running who are positioning themselves as the one true populist in the race, such as Senator Harris. I no doubt respect Senator Harris for the work he has done here, along with the others, but no one can compare to my record on this. I've been fighting longer than anybody for unions and union members, all the way back to the 1930s. Some of my fiercest critics tried to label me a communist, and I thought I was the one who was supposed to call others communists! *laughs*

March 9
-Rally in Chicago Heights, IL
-Rally in Woodridge, IL
-Rally in Oswego, IL
-Rally in Skokie, IL
-Rally in Mount Prospect, IL

Senator Muskie continues to show his desperation after losing New Hampshire. He wants to make you think that I'm some extremist that will wreck the country. However, I ask that you take a step back and look at where we are today. Our leaders in Washington have led us to this mess after years of mismanagement, and Senator Muskie is part of the problem, but he doesn't want to admit it. In fact, he represents all the traits of an entrenched politician. He stands for nothing and all he does is appease the right people to get votes. Muskie's campaign is just as vapid as his career in Washington, and I think he's beginning to realize that Democrats see right through him. I'm not some nutjob, I'm the guy who's going to get us out of this mess and actually represent the American people!

March 10
-Barnstorming and GOTV in The Villages, FL
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Doral, FL
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Jupiter, FL
-Barnstorming and GOTV in North Miami, FL
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Daytona Beach, FL

Governor Carter was not qualified for the job of President of the United States with so little experience, but he still had a lot in common with me. You see, both of us are moderates in the party. We're both troubled by the fringe elements in the party that seem to be gaining more clout in recent years. The McGoverns and McCarthys of the Democratic Party are living in a fantasy if they think that their vision for America is feasible, much less if they think that America itself wants that vision. We've got to make sure that they never come to power, or else I fear that our worst days have yet to come. In this respect, Governor Carter saw eye-to-eye with me here. I know the Governor had his fans here in Florida, so if any of his former supporters are out here tonight, I ask that you take a long look at my campaign. You might like what you have to see.

March 11
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Kendall, FL
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Palm Bay, FL
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Clearwater, FL
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Miami Gardens, FL
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Brandon, FL

It's official: Senator Muskie is floundering, and he knows it. Muskie's people are panicking and scrambling to salvage their remaining dignity, but they should know by now that it's practically over for them. The Senator was a guy who started out with 40% of the vote in New Hampshire, the first primary, and who led by 20 to 30 points over all his rivals. That was then. Flash forward to last week, and they crumbled all the way to a second place finish! If that isn't an incompetent candidate, I don't know what is! What should be clear after New Hampshire is that moderate Democrats have a better choice out there for them, and that would be myself. Not only am I the one who's really fighting for them, but I've shown that I can win, unlike the Senator. We're going to keep on winning, too, including here in Florida.

March 12
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Coral Springs, FL
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Gainesville, FL
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Miramar, FL
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Hollywood, FL
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Pembroke Pines, FL

I've managed the great city of Los Angeles for the past 11 years. That's really a long time to be in charge of a city, if you think about it. However, being mayor has shown me the best of what can happen in government, and I'm proud to say that we've accomplished so much in those 11 years. Under my leadership, L.A. has grown from a mid-sized city to one of the largest and notable cities in the nation. Our economy is booming, our culture is flourishing, and our infrastructure is better than ever. Many of my opponents have voted on budgets in Congress. How many of them have actually had to manage budgets, though? I have every year in office. I have the managerial experience to get this country back on track after years of mishandling from our leaders.

March 13
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Cape Coral, FL
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Port St. Lucie, FL
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Fort Lauderdale, FL
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Tallahassee, FL
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Hialeah, FL

When it comes to busing, all of my opponents are right on the same page. They want the feds to stomp on your freedom of choice to decide where you want to send your kids to school. You want your seventh grader to go to the middle school two blocks away? Too bad, they've got to go miles away to be at an integrated school! If this is supposed to be the next step towards equality, then this is a farce. Like I said, my opponents agree with doing all of this. Mayor Lindsay agrees, Senator Muskie agrees, Senator McGovern agrees, and so do the rest. I am the only voice for sanity on busing, Florida. If you want to send a strong message that things are going too far, then vote for me. If you want to protect your children's quality of education and solve the education issue the right way, then I'm your guy. If you disagree, then you have five other choices on the ballot.

March 14
-Barnstorming and GOTV in St. Petersburg, FL
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Orlando, FL
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Tampa, FL
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Miami, FL
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Jacksonville, FL

Today is the day, Florida! This is the day when we can win yet again! New Hampshire was not some fluke, it was only the beginning of the road to the Democratic nomination! It can't happen without you at the polls today, though. You need to bring your family and friends along with you to send a clear message that you're all fed up and you're not gonna take it anymore. A vote for Yorty is a vote for the end of forced busing. A vote for Yorty is a vote for strong American leadership in Vietnam. A vote for Yorty is a vote for stopping criminals and restoring order. If this is what you want to hear from your leaders, then storm the voting booths and continue our national momentum!

Campaign Activities

-Aggressive fundraising in California, Texas, Florida, Illinois, and New York
-Expanding campaign offices in Illinois and South Carolina
-Opening campaign offices and recruiting volunteers in Missouri, South Carolina, Kansas, Virginia, and Alaska
-Registering voters in Missouri, South Carolina, Kansas, Virginia, and Alaska
-Securing support from local Democratic Party officers in Illinois, Missouri, South Carolina, Kansas, Virginia, and Alaska

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #337 on: August 25, 2015, 11:24:04 PM »

Newspaper Ad: Busing

John Lindsay is for forced busing.

Ed Muskie is for forced busing.

Gene McCarthy is for forced busing.

Sam Yorty is for school choice.

Vote for Sam Yorty on March 14 for a real alternative.

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #338 on: August 25, 2015, 11:28:18 PM »

John Lindsay Campaign GOTV - Florida

With the help of many of Florida's great mayors, John Lindsay has built up a strong infrastructure in the state of Florida. A win here is crucial to Lindsay's campaign, and will be a defining moment for the current frontrunner. As a result, the following will be the focus of this GOTV movement:

- Targeting blacks and hispanics, aiming at getting record turnout by promoting Lindsay's record on civil rights and support for busing.
- Targeting senior citizens by promoting his record on half-fare transportation.
- Targeting Democratic Moderates and Conservatives by talking up non-Vietnam and non-Civil Rights issues (including expanding education and health services)

With the field so crowded with anti-war messages, Lindsay campaign volunteers are instead promoting Lindsay's stances on non-Vietnam issues and his management background. Within the state of Florida, Lindsay, thanks to the Mayors of Florida that have endorsed him from Tampa, Orlando, and Miami, will have an overall urban strategy, in hopes to gain the support of the trifecta of Democrats - Moderate, Conservative, and Liberal.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #339 on: August 25, 2015, 11:40:54 PM »

Sam Yorty Endorsements

Former Governor James F. Byrnes (D-SC)

Mayor Yorty is the candidate who is talking some sense in this race. He recognizes that we are at a crossroads in our nation's history and that we need strong leadership to turn the tide. Whether it is keeping us safe at home or defending American interests across the world, Mayor Yorty shows the judgment necessary to become our next President, and this old man will be helping him get elected in South Carolina and beyond.

March 8-14
-Barnstorming in South Carolina
-Fundraising in South Carolina
-Registering Voters in South Carolina

Past Endorsements

William Loeb: Barnstorming and GOTV in FL
W. Haydon Burns: Barnstorming and GOTV in FL
Otto Kerner, Jr.: Barnstorming in IL
John W. King: Barnstorming and GOTV in FL
Ross Perot: Fundraising in TX
Happy Chandler: Barnstorming in SC
Robert Byrd: Barnstorming in SC
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #340 on: August 25, 2015, 11:50:25 PM »

Mike Gravel Schedule

March 8th
Barnstorming in Minneapolis, MN
Barnstorming in St. Paul, MN
Barnstorming in Rochester, MN
Townhall in Duluth, MN

Fly to Chicago, IL

March 9th
Fundraising in Chicago, IL
Barnstorming in Chicago, IL
Townhall in Chicago, IL
Meet with Mayor Richard Daley in Chicago, IL

March 10th
Barnstorming in Aurora, IL
Barnstorming in Rockford, IL
Barnstorming in Decatur, IL
Barnstorming in Wheaton, IL

March 11th
Barnstorming in Joliet, IL
Barnstorming in Springfield, IL
Barnstorming in Peoria, IL
Barnstorming in Waukegan, IL

March 12th
GOTV in Jacksonville, FL and surrounding areas
GOTV in Tallahassee, FL and surrounding areas
GOTV in Gainesville, FL and surrounding areas
GOTV in Kissimmee, FL and surrounding areas

March 13th
GOTV in Tampa, FL and surrounding areas
GOTV in St. Petersburg, FL and surrounding areas
GOTV in Orlando, FL and surrounding areas
GOTV in Ft. Myers, FL and surrounding areas

March 14th
GOTV in West Palm Beach, FL and surrounding areas
GOTV in Ft. Lauderdale, FL and surrounding areas
GOTV in Miami, FL and surrounding areas
Election Night Rally in Jacksonville, FL

"Tonight is when the voters will decide. Will they decide to vote for more of the same, or will they vote for change? I'm the candidate who will get us out of Vietnam, and bring progress to America! Maybe I'm not a favorite in this state, but I'm the candidate with a record of standing against the war where it's hardest, Washington DC."

Surrogates
Noam Chomsky will campaign in Illinois
Sargent Shriver will campaign in Florida
Raul Hector Castro will campaign in Florida
Frank Church will campaign in Florida
Roland Vallee will campaign in Florida
Patsy Mink will campaign in Florida
Abraham Ribicoff will campaign in Florida
William Egan will campaign in Illinois
Tip O'Neill will campaign in Illinois
Patrick Lucey will campaign in Wisconsin
Wendell Anderson will campaign in Minnesota
John C. West will campaign in South Carolina
Ralph Metcalfe will campaign in Illinois
Larry Hagman will campaign in Illinois
Robert Docking will campaign in Kansas
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #341 on: August 25, 2015, 11:52:26 PM »

Sam Yorty GOTV Strategy: Florida

Sensing the new momentum coming out of a shock victory in New Hampshire, the Yorty campaign is putting great efforts into driving up the Florida vote in hopes of a consecutive victory, providing the Mayor another boost going forward. With a high number of undecided voters and the sudden departure of high-polling Jimmy Carter, up to a quarter of Florida voters are up in the air, and much of the efforts are going into grabbing those voters and bringing them to the Yorty camp. The Florida operation, led by former Governor W. Haydon Burns, is performing the following actions this week:

-Targeting undecided voters, highlighting Yorty’s independent streak and willingness to “speak the truth” on busing, law and order, etc.
-Targeting blue collar voters in urban and suburban areas, highlighting busing, the economy, law and order, and Vietnam
-Targeting white collar voters in urban areas, highlighting the economy, education, and law and order
-Targeting low-income voters across the state (especially in rural areas), highlighting the economy, education, and healthcare
-Targeting union members across the state, highlighting labor, the economy, and education
-Targeting disaffected Democrats across the state who normally don't vote
-Persuading former Carter supporters to vote for Yorty, highlighting similarities between Carter and Yorty with their moderate-to-conservative policies
-Persuading Lindsay supporters to switch to Yorty, citing busing as a wedge issue and highlighting similarities on other issues such as crime
-Persuading Muskie supporters to switch to Yorty, citing busing as a wedge issue and contrasting Muskie's faltering campaign with Yorty's surging campaign (using NH victory as example)

The issues mentioned in the Florida campaign the most frequently include the economy, law and order, Vietnam, and especially busing. With all the other candidates on the ballot being in favor of busing, Yorty is hoping to consolidate all of the anti-busing votes to emerge as the primary's clear winner while his opponents split the pro-busing votes. Yorty has also been capitalizing on his surge following New Hampshire and has most frequently attacked Senator Muskie on the campaign trail. With Muskie's campaign in trouble, Yorty hopes to peel off a significant number of Muskie's supporters who are losing faith in him and who are inclined to back a conservative alternative to the more liberal Mayor Lindsay.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #342 on: August 25, 2015, 11:59:37 PM »

The Nixon Campaign - March 8 to March 14, 1972

President Nixon meets with enthusiastic supporters at a campaign rally in Jacksonville, Florida

March 8, 1972:

- President Nixon stays in Washington, D.C. to talk with Congress and fulfill his presidential duties.

March 9, 1972:

- President Nixon delivers an economic policy speech at a large rally in Pensacola, Florida.

"Almost four years ago, the American people elected me to be President of the United States. At that time, I promised to save our nation's economy, and I fulfilled that promise to the best of my ability during my first term in office. Under the Nixon Administration, I signed into law the Economic Stabilization Act, a comprehensive bill that protected and will continue to protect America's economic prosperity by assuring our nation's people that the necessary price and wage controls have been put into place. Inflation was at 4.4% when I came into office; it's at merely 3.5% now and under another Nixon term, I'll do everything in my power to make sure that the rate continues to fall and that each and every American citizen is able to walk home from work every day with a few more dollars in their wallets. During a second term, I will work as hard as I can to improve our nation's economy, and I will make sure that average hardworking Americans, not just the millionaires and billionaires at the top, receive the economic benefits that will be planned and pursued extensively by the Nixon Administration."

- President Nixon speaks at Fort Walton Beach, Florida about the nations' efforts and goals in Vietnam.
- President Nixon barnstorms in Panama City, Florida.
- President Nixon gives a speech in Bristol, Florida and promises his supporters that under a second Nixon term, the war in Vietnam will come to a close.
- President Nixon has an intimate moment with his wife at a hotel in Bristol, Florida.

March 10, 1972:

- President Nixon barnstorms in Jacksonville, Florida.
- President Nixon delivers a Vietnam War speech in Jacksonville, Florida.

"In the year 1965, American active combat units landed in Vietnam for the first time. At the time, I'll admit, going into Vietnam seemed like a good idea. We could halt the spread of Communism and make sure that the USSR didn't take hold anywhere else on the globe. But boy, things didn't work out how we thought they would. Under President Johnson's disastrous handling of the Vietnam situation, the number of American troops and the number of American casualties escalated at an unbelievably fast pace; we weren't gaining any ground and President Johnson's strategy was proving to be ineffective. We should've realized it a long time ago, but we need to get out of Vietnam. We need to stop the causalities - we need to make sure that from this day forward, no American ever again has to face the prospect of losing a father, uncle, son, or brother to war. We need to withdraw.  If elected to a second term in office, I will slowly and safely withdraw all American troops from the nation of Vietnam through achieving 'peace with honor', and I will make sure that the war takes no more of a toll upon the American people than it already has. Under the Nixon Administration, we will make the Vietnam War a thing of the past, and we will assure Americans across the nation that never again will we make the same dastardly mistake that we did in 1965."

- President Nixon barnstorms in Gainesville, Florida.
- President Nixon delivers a speech in Gainesville, Florida.
- President Nixon has an unconventional dinner of pancakes and bacon with supporters in Gainesville, Florida.

March 11, 1972:

- President Nixon holds a rally in Tallahassee, Florida.
- President Nixon holds a bipartisan meeting with Florida Governor Reubin Askew in Tallahassee, Florida.
- President Nixon has lunch with supporters in Ocala, Florida.
- President Nixon has an afternoon snack with supporters in Orlando, Florida.
- President Nixon has dinner with supporters in Daytona Beach, Florida.
- President Nixon has a late-night munch with supporters in Melbourne, Florida.

March 12, 1972:

- President Nixon holds a rally in Tampa, Florida.
- President Nixon is interviewed by newscaster Sam Donaldson in Tampa, Florida.

Donaldson: "Hello, President Nixon! How are you doing today?"
Nixon: "I'm doing great, Mr. Donaldson. I'm always doing great when I know the people of America are doing great and I know that the people of America are doing great today."
Donaldson: "How do you know that, President Nixon?"
Nixon: "Because the people of America are excited for the 1972 election and are eager to get to know their candidates."
Donaldson: "That's right, President Nixon. Who are you endorsing this election?"
Nixon: "President Nixon."

- President Nixon hosts a rally in Sarasota, Florida.
- President Nixon hosts a dinner in St. Petersburg, Florida.

March 13, 1972:

- President Nixon holds a rally in Miami, Florida.
- President Nixon barnstorms in Fort Myers, Florida.
- President Nixon barnstorms in Key West, Florida.
- President Nixon makes a foreign policy speech in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

"Throughout our nation's history, America has been threatened by a variety of enemies that have tried to annihilate our nation, our people, and our way of life. From Nazi Germany to Imperial Japan to North Korea, our nation has faced countless threats, but always we have prevailed. In today's world, America is being threatened by an enemy probably worse than any other we've ever seen - the Soviet Union. Never before has an enemy nation had the access to nuclear weapons; never before has an enemy nation been so determined to implant a radical and dangerous ideology into the minds of the American people; never before has our nation been at such a risk. But we can prevail. With the right strategies and tools, we will defeat the Soviet Union, and America will be safe once more. We will end the war in Vietnam, we will prevent any more wars caused by the USSR from starting, and we will prevent this disgusting communist nation from spreading its evil ways across the globe. But only if we get the help of all Americans. Yes, if we truly want to defeat the USSR for good, we need each and every American citizen to chip in and help fight, we need everyone to do their part, we need everyone to be able to know what to do in order to combat communism and promote the rights, freedoms, and principles that are so valued by the people of the United States of America. We will succeed.

March 14, 1972:

- President Nixon flies to Washington, D.C. to fulfill his presidential duties and play with his dogs, Vicky, Pasha, and King Timahoe.
- President Nixon eagerly awaits the results of the Florida primaries.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #343 on: August 26, 2015, 12:13:52 AM »

My schedule will be up in about 20-25 minutes. If you wouldn't mind waiting for that, I'd appreciate that a lot!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #344 on: August 26, 2015, 12:17:05 AM »

My schedule will be up in about 20-25 minutes. If you wouldn't mind waiting for that, I'd appreciate that a lot!

No worries!
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #345 on: August 26, 2015, 12:50:20 AM »

McGovern Campaign Schedule:  March 8, 1972 - March 14, 1972

Tuesday, Mar 8:  SOUTH CAROLINA/ILLINOIS
Charleston - Rally on "Civil Rights and Civil Liberties - The Basis of Our Democracy"
Greenville - Barnstorming
Chicago - Rally on "Law and Order: The Abuses That Ensue, Then and Now"

Chicagoans flock by the thousands to See Senator McGovern

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wednesday, Mar 9:  ILLINOIS
Rockford - Barnstorming
Champaign - Barnstorming on Vietnam
Carbondale - Rally on "Our Labor and Our Responsibility"

Thursday,  Mar 10:  ILLINOIS/WISCONSIN
Oak Park -  Barnstorming
Madison - Rally on "The Importance of our Democratic Process;"
Green Bay -  Rally on "Protecting The Environment"

Madison, WI

Friday, Mar 11:  WISCONSIN
Racine - Rally on "Unions and why we must Protect Them"
Milwaukee - Rally "Civil Rights for All;"
Oshkosh - Barnstorming

Saturday, Mar 12: WISCONSIN
La Crosse - Barnstorming   
Wausau -  Barnstorming
Fond du Lac - Rally on "Improving American Economy by Improving Work Safety

Fond du Lac, WI

Sunday, Mar 13:  WISCONSIN
Wauwatosa - Barnstorming
Eau Claire - Rally on "Ending the Vietnam debacle"
Beloit - Rally on "Equal Pay For Equal Work"

Monday, Mar 14:  WISCONSIN/WASHINGTON D.C.
Wisconsin Dells - Rally on "Rights For Native Peoples"
Washington - U.S. Senate - Congressional duties

Wisconsin Dells, WI

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #346 on: August 26, 2015, 01:56:02 AM »

NBC News Special, March 14th, 1972:

Chancellor: Good day, ladies and gentlemen, it's John Chancellor from NBC News direct from Washington, bringing you the full results of the Florida Primary, second in the primary party schedule. President Richard Nixon continues to battle Representative Barry Goldwater Jr for the soul of the Republican Party, while analysts see Florida as a key battleground between unlikely frontrunners John Lindsay and Sam Yorty, with a potential for strong showings by Senators Gravel, Muskie and McCarthy. Due to a late start or ballot acess errors, Senator Harris and Senator McGovern will not take part of this contest, awarding about ninety delegates for the Democrats and fifty or so for the GOP.

Campaign was bitter and very drawn out, many candidates going all out as Yorty and Muskie seemed to recieve the highest number of attacks. Busing proved to be a key issue here, as a strong case for support brought Mayor Lindsay a strong endorsement by Governor Reubin Askew and opposition brought Mayor Yorty condemnation through the nation and a sudden rise in Florida polling. Tonight's story seems to be all about Lindsay and Yorty, but reports indicate voters reacted very well to Muskie's more energetic behavior and that the McCarthy campaign seemed rather well prepared in grassroots ground game.

With that say, let's look at the GOP results first:

Republican FL Primary:

Richard Nixon: 70.93% (36)
Barry Goldwater Jr: 29.07% (15)

Chancellor: Representative Goldwater came out swinging after a good NH result, but decent organization was not nearly enough to overcome the critical lack of focus he had given to Florida earlier, with many expressing some disappointment at the lack of a stronger message. President Nixon, on the other hand, made a rather convincing case for his administration by defending his economic and foreign policy record, and with Florida voters still distrustful of the Goldwater stance on amnesty, it was enough to give the President a strong victory for today. Still, both candidates failed to file in for the Illinois Primary and it seems the South Carolina caucus looks increasingly complicated for Nixon to win, opening some hope for Goldwater as the South and West feature strongly in the April/May calendar.

Democratic FL Primary:

John Lindsay: 30.45% (32)
Sam Yorty: 28.09% (29)
Ed Muskie: 19.36% (21)
Eugene McCarthy: 15.52% (15)
Mike Gravel: 7.56%

Chancellor: A naibiter tonight in Florida as turnout was unusually strong for the Yorty and Lindsay machines, both securing about sixty percent of the vote together. Mayor Lindsay cements himself as technical frontrunner based on his two point victory in a state in which he needed a strong showing, and this also opens the doors of the South to Sam Yorty based on his great performance. McCarthy benefited from a lacklustre Gravel effort as the Alaska Senator failed to break in, allowing McCarthy to cement himself as more than serious and currently one of the two main anti-war candidates with McGovern. Muskie also stops a good deal of the bleeding with an improved performance and message, so reports on his campaign's demise by other candidate seem to have been severly exaggerated. And from here we go to Illinois, one week for now.

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #347 on: August 26, 2015, 02:03:45 AM »

Great Update!
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #348 on: August 26, 2015, 07:49:44 AM »

Why isn't Carter included in the FL Results?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #349 on: August 26, 2015, 10:27:26 AM »

Why isn't Carter included in the FL Results?
Carter dropped out and is endorsing the winner of FL, Lindsay.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies