Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:02:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 51
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)  (Read 107434 times)
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: August 18, 2015, 08:57:29 PM »

Muskie for America Turn 6

Response to the New Hampshire Union Leader
"I admit that I have not outlined enough policy proposals, or truly run an inspiring campaign. That ends today, over the next several days I will outline my policies in depth, and put an end to this. However, the rumors being spread about my wife, are baseless, and despicable. I will not have my family dragged into this campaign. Period."

March 1st
Barnstorm in Manchestor, NH.
Rally in Manchestor, NH.
Fundraiser in Manchestor, NH.

March 2nd
Barnstorm in Concord, NH.
Rally in Concord, NH.
Fundraiser in Concord, NH.

March 3rd
Barnstorm in smaller communities in Northern New Hampsire.

March 4th
Barnstorm in Central New Hampshire.

March 5th
Fly to Orlando, FL.
Meet with voters in eastern Florida.
Fundraiser in Orlando.

March 6th
Barnstorm in Miami, FL.
Rally in Miami, FL.
Fundraiser in Miami, FL.

March 7th
Barnstorm in western Florida.
Fundraiser in St. Petersburg, FL.

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #276 on: August 18, 2015, 08:59:36 PM »

This will be extended until tomorrow BTW. I have been reading literally hundreds of pages for an exam on early Medieval History, so the logistics are not there for me to update.
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #277 on: August 18, 2015, 09:03:35 PM »

Past Muskie Endorsers

Averell Harriman
Barnstorming and fundraising in New Hampshire.

Sylvio Dupuis
Barnstorming in southern New Hampshire.

Dean Rusk
Barnstorming in Florida.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #278 on: August 18, 2015, 10:26:50 PM »

McCarthy Statement on Muskie Attacks by NH Union Leader

"Muskie has refused to run on any message except being electable, or outline any serious policy proposals, because he knows that the American People do not want a warmonger like him. His only hope is for the American People to avoid realizing that he is a warmonger, but that hope ends today. I call on Muskie to fully reveal himself as the warmonger he is or get out of the race today. A culture of lies is not what America needs. Any rumors about his family need to be seriously examined for accuracy, if there is anything Muskie is doing that is firmly unethical, this country needs to know about it, and that goes for all candidates."

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #279 on: August 19, 2015, 05:51:37 PM »

John Lindsay '72 Schedule - March 1st - 7th, 1972

"Senator Muskie was a good Governor of Maine, I won't begrudge him that. The problem Senator Muskie has is he has become a creature of Washington. Rather than stand and fight for the needs of everyday people, he has succumbed to the Washington bureaucrat echo chamber, which accomplishes nothing but talk and vague ideas. Muskie was wrong on Vietnam, and though he knows it now, he knew it too late. I opposed Vietnam seven years ago, while most politicians were hiding in fear. I won't be grandstanding on these issues - I'll be too busy fighting to solve them!"

March 1st, 1972:
Meet and Greet in Chester, Illinois
Meet and Greet in Carbondale, Illinois
Meet and Greet in Marion, Illinois

March 2nd, 1972:
Meet and Greet in Cairo, Illinois
Meet and Greet in Metropolis, Illinois
Meet and Greet in Benton, Illinois

Voter: "Senator Fred Harris remarked that you can't relate to rural voters. Do you have a response for the candidate?"

Lindsay: "I have a lot of respect for Senator Harris, in particular his fight for ordinary people. What I have to say to that is there is a nugget of truth in there - I've been Mayor of New York City, the largest city in the country. I haven't dealt as much in the suburban and rural. However, traveling this great country of ours, I've learned that the aspirations of people, wherever they are, aren't too different. Every American wants good healthcare, an ability to provide for their families, and for their children to grow up better than they did. I will work for an America that puts those things forward as priorities, not the special interests that control Washington."

March 3rd, 1972:
Town Hall in Olney, Illinois
Meet and Greet in Paris, Illinois
Meet and Greet in Watsekee, Illinois

March 4th: 1972:
Barnstorming in Chicago, Illinois
Fundraising in Chicago, Illinois
Opening another office in Chicago, Illinois

March 5th, 1972:
Meeting with State Democrats in Tallahassee, Florida
Fundraising in Tallahassee, Florida
Meet and Greet in Live Oak, Florida

"Democrats need someone who won't just win, but win because they stood besides selfish pride. Senator Edmund Muskie has run a campaign by solely running on his own machine, his own supposed electability. How can you win a general election if you can't even win over your own party! I stand today to tell you that I am the most electable candidate, not because I tout my Washington connections, but because I've fought hard for the people of New York City, and I'll bring that fight into the ring with Richard Nixon, and if elected, bring that fight hard in the Presidency. Thank you."

March 6th, 1972:
Town Hall in Gainesville, Florida
Town Hall in Ocela, Florida
Barnstorming in Orlando, Florida

March 7th, 1972:
Barnstorming in Daytona Beach, Florida
Barnstorming in Palm Coast, Florida
Barnstomring in Jacksonville, Florida
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #280 on: August 19, 2015, 07:50:50 PM »

Hey, I've been really busy with work, can I get an extension?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #281 on: August 19, 2015, 07:54:44 PM »

Sure, tomorrow night is the final date, then we will get New Hampshire results.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #282 on: August 19, 2015, 09:50:35 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2015, 12:32:40 PM by NeverAgain »

Have mine up later tonight, just got off work.
EDIT: Can't post tonight, will do it late afternoon tomorrow! Sorry for the delay!
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #283 on: August 19, 2015, 10:01:20 PM »

Phew, thanks from me as well!
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #284 on: August 20, 2015, 07:29:26 PM »

Sam Yorty Campaign Schedule: March 1-7

The New Hampshire Blitz

March 1
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Pembroke, NH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Hollis, NH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Plaistow, NH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Atkinson, NH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Alton, NH

Friends, the Union Leader is only saying what the rest of us have been thinking this whole time: Ed Muskie is a terribly weak candidate. He's got no message, he excites no one, and, to top it all off, he hasn't even been performing as a frontrunner in these first few primaries. What kind of mandate can Senator Muskie claim to have as our party's supposed nominee? I won't comment on his personal life, but if any of those allegations are also true, it just adds up to a candidate who can't win the general election if he makes it that far. Democrats can surely do better than Muskie, and I know New Hampshire can do better than him. You'll have the chance to show that this week.

March 2
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Swanzey, NH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Swanton, NH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Weare, NH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Newmarket, NH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Berlin, NH

Thank goodness that terrorist plot in NYC was thwarted! Think of what could have happened had law enforcement not been able to respond quicker, though. We live in a world with plenty of dangers and tons of uncertainty. In a rapidly evolving environment like ours, we must keep up with the times. Terrorism, as well as all crime, is changing its tactics as technology changes how we live. It's up to leaders in the government to take action and make sure that law enforcement has the tools necessary to keep the entire country safe. I'm asking my fellow candidates to stand with me and make the pledge to defend us from all of these threats. It's time to get serious about keeping our streets safe.

March 3
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Conway, NH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Raymond, NH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Amherst, NH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Hanover, NH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Somersworth, NH

President Nixon may be enjoying a bounce in support now, but it's not going to last. Once voters remember our economic stagnation, domestic chaos, and international mayhem, they'll see the President for what he really is: an unimpressive leader who's failed to deliver on all of his promises. This year, the Democrats have the chance to make a clear contrast. The Silent Majority is still angry, and they deserve someone who will actually do as he says. I'm the only candidate who will be able to bring in these Americans and defeat Nixon in November. My opponents either will make things worse or won't have the guts to change anything of worth.

March 4
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Pelham, NH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Hooksett, NH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Exeter, NH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Durham, NH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Laconia, NH

Earlier, Senator Muskie validated everything we have said about his campaign from day one, and from his own words! Senator Muskie acknowledges that he inspires no one. He acknowledges that no one knows what his positions really are. Now he claims that he'll change in the coming days, but you have every right to be skeptical of this. If it wasn't for all the hits he's faced these last few weeks, Muskie would have never brought this up! He would have kept chugging along as usual! Now he's scared that he's beginning to lose it all in this race, so he's scrambling to reclaim his mantle. Ladies and gentlemen, let's not give him that opportunity this week. Muskie is not the man for New Hampshire, nor is he for the rest of the country. On the 7th, he will get that message loud and clear.

March 5
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Goffstown, NH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Bedford, NH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Portsmouth, NH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Keene, NH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Londonderry, NH

Over the last two months I've gotten a great reception here in New Hampshire, and it shows. I'm proud to have received the endorsement of your state's biggest newspaper, the Manchester Union Leader. They called me the one serious Democrat running because I'm highlighting issues that the other Democrats would never dare touch, and I'm sticking to my guns on them. I've also been endorsed by your long-serving governor, John King, a good man. Governor King and I both believe that our nation is in trouble right now and that we need strong leadership to set things straight. When we're losing control of our situation at home and when our influence on the world stage is also diminishing, we can't afford to have any more weak leaders. Weak leaders are the guys who brought us where we are today. I'm running because I strongly believe that our best days are ahead of us if we brought back our nation's spirit. As President, you can count on me to lead the charge and restore the United States to what it's supposed to be: the undisputed leader of the free world.

March 6
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Hudson, NH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Merrimack, NH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Salem, NH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Rochester, NH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Concord, NH

New Hampshire is the Live Free or Die State. People in New Hampshire have a fierce independent streak and are known to buck the trend. I have to say that I'm a bit of an independent rascal myself. I'm a maverick in a party that I fear is slowly being engulfed by fringe elements. My opponents are all on the same page of declaring defeat and pulling out all across the world. They also are united in not have any real solutions on fixing our finances or restoring law and order. These are issues that voters care deeply about, and the reason why I entered the race was because I saw that those issues were ignored. If no one else is willing to address them seriously, so be it. My message is resonating here in New Hampshire. However, this mission is not over until we win the nomination and head all the way to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue!

March 7
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Derry, NH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Dover, NH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Nashua, NH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Manchester, NH
-Election Night Rally in Manchester, NH

This is it, New Hampshire! My opponents have been pounding at me left and right for months straight, hoping that they'll get me out of the picture. Guess what? We're stronger than ever here in this state and across the country! *cheers* Let them do whatever they want, because they're not doing a damn thing to kill this message we've got! Not only is this campaign continuing full steam ahead, but we're gonna do another thing tonight: we're gonna win this primary! *cheers*

To the naysayers out there who can't imagine such a thing, you just watch. We have the message, we have the momentum, and we're the best organized in this state by far. Tonight, an army of Americans will flood the polls and make their voices heard. These are Americans who work hard, contribute to their communities, and are just fed up with our leaders. Tonight, once the votes roll in, their voices will be heard across the world for the first time in a long time. Your help tonight will be the beginning of a new and uplifting chapter in American history. God bless you all, and go vote!

Sam Yorty Endorsements

William Loeb: Barnstorming in NH
W. Haydon Burns: Barnstorming in FL
Otto Kerner, Jr.: Barnstorming in IL
John W. King: Barnstorming in NH
Ross Perot: Fundraising in TX
Happy Chandler: Barnstorming in SC
Robert Byrd: Barnstorming in SC
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #285 on: August 20, 2015, 07:32:35 PM »

Sam Yorty GOTV Strategy: New Hampshire

Since the launch of Mayor Yorty's campaign months ago, New Hampshire has been at the forefront of his candidacy. A victory in New Hampshire would catapult the Mayor to frontrunner status and ensure a viable path to the Democratic nomination. To achieve this goal, the Yorty campaign has been heavily investing in building up its organization in the state since the very beginning. On the eve of the vote, the Yorty campaign eclipses all of the other Democrats in its New Hampshire operation, being the best organized statewide with the largest number of active volunteers. Led by former Governor John W. King, who intimately knows the state's complexities, the New Hampshire GOTV operation is now underway through these actions:

-Targeting undecided voters, highlighting Yorty’s independent streak and willingness to “speak the truth”
-Targeting blue collar voters in urban and suburban areas, highlighting the economy, law and order, and Vietnam
-Targeting white collar voters in urban areas, highlighting the economy and law and order
-Targeting voters in smaller, rural areas ignored by other candidates
-Targeting disaffected Democrats across the state who normally don't vote
-Persuading Muskie voters to switch to Yorty, citing Muskie's lackluster campaign, fuzzy message, and flip-flops on key issues such as Vietnam
-Persuading Lindsay voters to switch to Yorty, citing Lindsay's very low chances of winning the primary as well as highlighting similarities between Lindsay and Yorty such as on crime and other issues, showing their moderate politics compared to other candidates
-Persuading Carter voters to switch to Yorty, citing Carter's very low chances of winning the primary as well as highlighting the moderate-to-conservative policies of Carter and Yorty where they are similar
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #286 on: August 20, 2015, 09:53:56 PM »

McGovern Campaign Schedule:  March 1, 1972 - March 7, 1972

Tuesday, Mar 1:  NEW HAMPSHIRE
Nashua - Rally on "Fair Pay for Fair Work;"  GOTV Campaign
Exeter - GOTV Campaign
Derry - GOTV Campaign

Nashua, NH

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wednesday, Mar 2:  NEW HAMPSHIRE
Lebanon - GOTV Campaign
Bedford - GOTV Campaign
Manchester - Speech outside the "Manchester Union Leader;" Rally on "The Need for Unions Today;"  GOTV Campaign

Manchester Union Leader

Thursday,  Mar 3:  NEW HAMPSHIRE
Berlin - GOTV Campaign
Concord - Rally on "The Importance of our Democratic Process;" GOTV Campaign
Dover - GOTV Campaign

Dover, NH

Friday, Mar 4:  NEW HAMPSHIRE
Rochester - Rally on "Civil Rights for All;"  GOTV Campaign
Claremont - GOTV Campaign
Laconia - GOTV Campaign

Saturday, Mar 5: NEW HAMPSHIRE
Salem - GOTV Campaign
Merrimack - GOTV Campaign
Portsmouth -  Rally on "Ending the War - NOW;" GOTV Campaign

Salem, NH

Sunday, Mar 6:  NEW HAMPSHIRE
Conway - GOTV Campaign
Durham - GOTV Campaign
Hanover - Rally on "The Rule of Law in Today's Democracy;" GOTV Campaign

Monday, Mar 7:  NEW HAMPSHIRE, WASHINGTON, DC
Concord - Last check-in with Campaign HQ; Speak to Volunteers
U.S. Senate - Congressional duties

McGovern Outside NH HQ

MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #287 on: August 20, 2015, 10:20:06 PM »

Goldwater Campaign Schedule:

March 1:
Barnstorming and GOTV in Nashua, NH
Barnstorm and GOTV in Manchester, New Hampshire
Town Hall in Manchester, New Hampshire

March 2:
Barnstorming and GOTV in Dover, NH
Town Hall in Dover, NH
Meet and Greet in surrounding areas

March 3:
Barnstorming and GOTV in Rochester, NH
Barnstorming and GOTV in Concord, NH
Rally and speech in Concord, NH

Richard Nixon has turned his back on his party, on his promises, and the people who voted for him! He does not deserve the trust of this party, or the American people! We need someone who keeps their promises, who will represent his "silent majority." Well this majority isn't so silent now! We've got to make it clear that it is us, that the president is held accountable to!

March 4:

Barnstorming and GOTV in Salem, NH
Town Hall in Salem, NH
Barnstorming and GOTV in Amherst, NH

March 5:
Barnstorming and GOTV in Conway, NH
Meet and Greet in Conway, NH
Barnstorming and GOTV in Berlin, NH
Town Hall in Berlin, NH

March 6:

Barnstorming and GOTV in Atkinson, NH
Barnstorming and GOTV in Pembroke, NH
Barnstorming and GOTV in Laconia, NH0

March 7:
Barnstorming and GOTV in Concord, NH
Barnstorming and GOTV in Manchester, NH
Barnstorming and GOTV in Nashua, NH
Rally and Speech in Nashua, NH

Endorsers:
Rep. Sam Steiger (Barnstorming and leading staffers and volunteers in GOTV efforts in NH)
Rep. John Jacob Rhodes (Barnstorming and leading staffers and volunteers in GOTV efforts in his NH)
Senator Goldwater: (Barnstorming and leading volunteers in GOTV in small towns across NH)
Senator James Buckley: (Fundraising)
Senator Paul Fannin (Barnstorming and leading volunteers in GOTV in small towns across NH)
Governor Williams (Barnstorming and GOTV in NH)
Fmr. Sec. of Def. Thomas S. Gates, Jr. (Barnstorming and GOTV in NH)
William F. Buckley: (Barnstorming and GOTV in NH)
Robert Taft Jr.: (Barnstorming and GOTV in NH)
Howard Morgens: (Barnstorming and GOTV in NH)

Newspaper ads and continual fliers given out by door-to-door volunteers and recruits

TV and Radio Ad to run in New Hampshire and Florida:
There's only one person that stands between Richard Nixon and the Republican nomination. That's you. There's only two candidates left in this race, and you need to make the choice. There's a candidate who has lied, cheated and broken promises once elected. The other has stood up for the constitution, the people he represents, and stands upon his word. Richard Nixon broke his promises for Vietnam, Richard Nixon broke his promise when he said he would reign in government waste. The only candidate left that keeps his promises needs your help, Barry Goldwater needs your help to show the president that he is held accountable, by you the people that put him in office. So come election day vote for the candidate that represents you and the Republican Party, vote Barry Goldwater Jr.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #288 on: August 20, 2015, 10:24:27 PM »

About two hours left!
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #289 on: August 20, 2015, 10:42:52 PM »

LOEB: IF MUSKIE CANNOT WIN NH, HE MUST DROP OUT

Adding to the rapidly growing barrage of attacks directed towards Senator Edmund Muskie (D-ME), William S. Loeb stabbed the Muskie campaign yet again in the final days before the New Hampshire primary. Mr. Loeb, the editor-in-chief of the influential Manchester Union Leader, declared that Mr. Muskie should withdraw from the presidential race should he fail to win the primary. "If you look at Senator Muskie's campaign, it has been a total disaster, and he is the only one to blame for this," Loeb wrote in a scathing editorial. "Only Senator Muskie could have started out 20 points ahead of his competitors in New Hampshire and now appear in danger of losing the state." Loeb continued on to opine that Muskie's campaign has been "stuffy," "directionless," and "uninspiring," adding that a loss would be "well deserved." "Democrats wary of McGovern, McCarthy, and the like would be much better off with another candidate," Loeb concluded, "and that man would be Sam Yorty."
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #290 on: August 20, 2015, 10:56:41 PM »

Muskie for America Endorsers

Rep William Hathaway ME 2nd
Fmr senator Stephen Young of Ohio
Ohio State Treasurer Gertrude Donahey
All will be barnstorming in New Hanpshire.

Muskie Statement on the Manchester Union Leader
"Frankly, if the Union Leader wishes to continue their attacks, that is fine with me, they will only continue to degrade their reputation as a 'newspaper.' If and when they are wling to take an objective stance in this race, I would be more than happy to make peace, and conduct an interview with this once illustrious paper."
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #291 on: August 20, 2015, 11:21:01 PM »

TV Ad: Who Is He?

He's got the spirit.

He's got the momentum.

He's got the Union Leader's backing.

He's independent.

He's tough.

Who is he?

He's Sam Yorty.

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #292 on: August 21, 2015, 12:03:23 AM »
« Edited: August 21, 2015, 12:25:05 AM by NeverAgain »

Television Ad. - George McGovern: Champion For America

Senator McGovern's Voice: Hi, My Name is George McGovern. We are blessed to live in a nation built on strong values, nurtured by strong ideals, and sustained by strong people. But the very bedrock of our country - Democracy, individual rights, rule of law - are being challenged daily. We have a war that is slaughtering thousands that continues to divide our nation. The Civil Rights that so many fought so long to ensure are now at risk. And the economic prosperity once enjoyed by all is now only for the wealthiest among us.

We need Big Changes for serious issues! We need to end this war, and end this awful draft. We need to guarantee equality and civil rights under the law. We need to protect workers' health, safety, and rights. And we need to hold this Administration accountable for its wrongdoings. I stand with you, America, to right our course in this crucial moment of America's History.

This Ad will play in the following states:
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #293 on: August 21, 2015, 12:14:07 AM »

Manchester Union Leader Response to Senator Muskie

As a newspaper, we have the editorial freedom to endorse a candidate whom we feel would be the best leader for the country. Our main priority, however, is to report on all of the candidates and their backgrounds. Senator Muskie is subject to criticism on his record and his associates just as any other person running is. We here at the Union Leader shall continue to do our job and report on the race as it develops. We are also open to Senator Muskie's suggestion to conduct an interview and hope that he will participate in one in the near future.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #294 on: August 21, 2015, 12:52:38 AM »

March 1
GOTV in Raymond, NH
GOTV in Conway, NH
GOTV in Somersworth, NH
GOTV in Amherst, NH
GOTV in Hanover, NH

March 2
GOTV in Durham, NH
GOTV in Laconia, NH
GOTV in Pelham, NH
GOTV in Exeter, NH
GOTV in Hooksett, NH

March 3
GOTV in Merrimack, NH
GOTV in Rochester, NH
GOTV in Hudson, NH
GOTV in Concord, NH
GOTV in Salem, NH

March 4
GOTV in Plaistow, NH
GOTV in Atkinson, NH
GOTV in Pembroke, NH
GOTV in Alton, NH
GOTV in Hollis, NH

March 5
GOTV in Swanton, NH
GOTV in Weare, NH
GOTV in Swanzey, NH
GOTV in Berlin, NH
GOTV in Newmarket, NH

March 6
GOTV in Bedford, NH
GOTV in Keene, NH
GOTV in Londonderry, NH
GOTV in Portsmouth, NH
GOTV in Goffstown, NH

March 7
GOTV in Derry, NH
GOTV in Dover, NH
GOTV in Nashua, NH
GOTV in Manchester, NH
Election Night Rally in Manchester, NH

"We need to end the war in Vietnam, and I will do that. I'm the only candidate with a proven anti-war record. We can win this race, but every vote will be needed!"

Surrogates
Noam Chomsky will campaign in New Hampshire
Sargent Shriver will campaign in New Hampshire
Raul Hector Castro will campaign in New Hampshire
Frank Church will campaign in New Hampshire
Roland Vallee will campaign in New Hampshire
Patsy Mink will campaign in New Hampshire
Abraham Ribicoff will campaign in New Hampshire
William Egan will campaign in New Hampshire
Tip O'Neill will campaign in New Hampshire
Patrick Lucey will campaign in New Hampshire
Wendell Anderson will campaign in New Hampshire
John C. West will campaign in New Hampshire
Ralph Metcalfe will campaign in Illinois
Larry Hagman will campaign in New Hampshire
Robert Docking will campaign in New Hampshire
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #295 on: August 21, 2015, 12:55:10 AM »
« Edited: August 21, 2015, 11:45:48 AM by Lumine »

ABC News Special, March 7th, 1972:

Smith: Evening, this is Howard K. Smith from ABC News from Washington, bringing you a key update on the first primary of the nation. As we can recall, the past caucuses saw victories from John Lindsay, Edmund Muskie and Richard Nixon, leaving the last two to wage a furious battle against their rising challengers. President Nixon has to avoid the fate of President Johnson due to the Goldwater surge, and Senator Muskie has to contend massive attacks launched at him from several directions, weakening him towards challengers McGovern, Yorty and McCarthy at the key state of New Hampshire. One of the contenders, Senator Fred Harris, will not appear on the ballot of tonight, but he has seen a steady race in Illinois, which will held its primary two weeks for now. Let us see the results then:

Republican NH Primary:

Richard Nixon: 66.53% (14)
Barry Goldwater Jr: 33.47% (8 )

Smith: Despite predictions of a Goldwater collapse following his stance on Vietnam, the GOP anti war vote came in full swing today, delivering the Representative a full third of the vote against the President, which allows both campaigns to claim some degree of victory. President Nixon can claim he has defeated his rival convincingly, while Goldwater’s result is more than strong enough to justify a continuous challenge. Nixon may look strong, but all that Goldwater needs is to replicate the McCarthy surprise in 68 to turn the race upside down.

Democratic NH Primary:

Sam Yorty: 26.09% (8 )
Ed Muskie: 25.93% (7)
George McGovern: 24.43% (7)
Eugene McCarthy: 10.54%
Mike Gravel: 7.32%
John Lindsay: 3.91%
Jimmy Carter: 1.78%

Smith: (Long pause) Well… there you have it, ladies and gentlemen. The unconfirmed reports of a strong Yorty GOTV were more than serious as the Los Angeles Mayor has… won the first primary. I repeat, Sam Yorty narrowly beats Senator Muskie for the win in the state will little over 26%, massive vote splitting that puts Senator McGovern in a strong third and the rest of the field below delegate threshold. Truly an historic night in many ways, as the Yorty campaign certainly benefited not only from unusually strong ground game, but also thanks to the Senator being under fire by local press and fellow candidate, his response seen as “cold” and “unemotional” according to primary voters. Delegate numbers are not too shaken by today, but the polls certainly will be…

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #296 on: August 21, 2015, 12:56:33 AM »

And it's quite late for me to be awake at this hour, so Turn Seven begins in a few hours. Feel free to react if necessary, as it is the first primary I'm sure the media will be more than happy to hear from the candidates.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #297 on: August 21, 2015, 03:10:23 AM »

Sam Yorty Victory Speech

We did it! With your help, we've overcome all the odds and proved all of our critics dead wrong. Despite everything thrown our way for months, the people of New Hampshire have made it loud and clear tonight that they're looking for someone who actually cares about them. The same establishment politicians who have gotten us into this mess should cower in fear after these results, because Americans are now standing up and are ready to fight. They're sick and tired of seeing defeat at home and around the world. Our leaders have failed us so may times, and what the voters want now is new, fresh leadership with a backbone.

Make no mistake: this is not some flash in the pan. What we've seen tonight is the beginning of a real movement. Millions of Americans are energized and ready to upend the entire political system. The good work in New Hampshire tonight is going to extend to Florida, Illinois, and beyond, and we will continue to build momentum across the nation. What's going to happen these next few months? We'll squash our opponents at every turn and come out as the Democratic nominee! Then before you know it, we'll trump President Nixon and head all the way to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue! We will continue fighting and we will win! Thank you all, and God bless the United States of America!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #298 on: August 21, 2015, 11:38:21 AM »
« Edited: August 21, 2015, 11:45:26 AM by Lumine »

Turn Seven: Sunshine Express:
March 8th to March 14th, 1972

In the News!

Nixon signs Executive Order 11652:
Sets standards for top secret classification of documents, as well as declassification

Indian troops leave Blangadesh:
Pakistan humilliated after December peace, India secures independence of new country

1.- Florida Primary: Ah, Florida... In OTL this was a Wallace blow out and Nixon had vanquished his challenger, but it won't be so simple now. We will have a special event here to be posted soon, and in this ocassion Republicans will fight for 51 delegates and Democrats for 97, quite the prize for the eager candidates.

2.- Mayor Daley: Second special endorser, Mayor Daley of Chicago is now unblocked. Players interested in Daley must PM me with the reasons of why would Daley endorse their respective candidates. With Daley comes a major polling swing in the state, the endorsement to be announced at the beginning of turn Eight.

Primary Polling

Gallup: Republican Primary:

Richard Nixon: 68% (-3)
Barry Goldwater Jr: 27% (+3)
Undecided: 5%

Despite Goldwater shooting himself on the foot last time, his strong finish in New Hampshire keeps his challenge alive, slowly rising on national polls as a credible alternative as the strongly hammers Nixon on credibility and integrity, the weak point of the incumbent. Many call Nixon to go all out to vanquish the conservative champion, just as many press Goldwater to go all the way to the convention to influence the platform. Will both men fight all the way until June?

Gallup: Democratic Primary:

John Lindsay: 24% (+1)
Ed Muskie: 20% (-3)
Sam Yorty: 15% (+2)
George McGovern: 14% (+1)
Mike Gravel: 8% (-1)
Fred Harris: 7% (+2)
Eugene McCarthy: 6% (-1)
Jimmy Carter: 2% (-1)
Undecided: 4%

To the shock of many observers, the Muskie campaign starts to enter panic mode. Despite strong polling leads the Senator was consistently attacked by virtually the entire Democratic field on most subjects possible, and the character assassination campaign waged by the Manchester Union Leader crippled the Senator's New Hampshire's effort as his reponses were seen by may as robotic. The result was Sam Yorty (and to a lesser extent George McGovern) stealing the spotlight, earning a polling increase which makes him the firm heir to many Democrats who wished to vote for Wallace. Good news also arrived to the Lindsay and Harris campaigns, as the Mayor was able to take his first polling lead as a new frontrunner, and Senator Harris's populist message has resonated very, very strongly.

On the negative side for some candidates, Harris's surge and a lacklustre performance has seriously damaged Senator Gravel and Governor Carter, Carter being especially damaged after "losing" his round of controversy with Mayor Lindsay as both battled in Florida. The McCarthy campaign also takes a hit following a failure to have a stronger showing, but with McGovern off the ballot in Florida this provides a chance for LBJ's vanquisher to stage his own comeback.

Random and Player Consecuence Events:

Lindsay scores a hit in Florida:

With the growing losses in polling by the Muskie campaign Mayor Lindsay has been able to claim the lead at the national polls, and his latest drive into Florida has brought a very positive response. Lindsay has been able to emerge as the winner from his duel with Governor Jimmy Carter over their records, and his latest attacks on Muskie stung enough to force many moderates to switch towards the potential frontrunner.

Volunteer surge for Harris in Missouri:

As the Missouri caucus nears it seems Senator Harris's gamble of being the sole visitor had a fantastic reward, as dozens of college students volunteer to man his operation during the upcoming contest. This might give the unexpected a challenge an important organizational edge when the time comes, three weeks from now.

Carter faces staff resignation:

Another negative week for Governor Jimmy Carter, as a negative result in New Hampshire and his declarations that he did not expect to win the race brought the resignation of some members of his staff, bringing negative attention. Carter's national polling remains low thanks to Senator Harris taking most of his appeal, but the Governor still has a decent level of support in Florida which, with a powerful last minute drive, might turn into a positive result.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #299 on: August 21, 2015, 11:40:10 AM »

Primary Candidate Data

Notoriety = N, Organization = O, Finance = F

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies