Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:07:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 51
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)  (Read 108609 times)
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: October 20, 2015, 07:36:24 PM »

TV Ad: Time for a Change

Ed Muskie doesn't want you to vote for Sam Yorty.

George McGovern doesn't want you to vote for Sam Yorty.

Fred Harris doesn't want you to vote for Sam Yorty.

Why? Because they know he'll shake things up in Washington.

The people have had enough with politicians who say one thing and mean another. It's time to say, "Enough is enough!"

Sam Yorty is the only candidate who is outside of Washington, who is accountable to voters, and who means what he says.

It's time for a change. Isn't it time that we got one with Sam Yorty?

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #901 on: October 20, 2015, 07:47:31 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2015, 09:11:50 PM by Kingpoleon »

Mayor Walter Washington of Washington, D. C.:
- Lead Minority Outreach in New York City

Acting Mayor Sanford Garelik:
- Give stump speeches and visit half of all Town Halls with the candidate
- Lead GOTV

CEO Richard E. Berlin of New York City & Hearst Corporation:
- Convince his newspapers to endorse Udall
- Use his company's connections to the local Democratic Party for campaign infrastructure

Chairman Arthur Ochs Sulzberger, Sr. of the New York Times:
- Convince his newspaper to endorse Udall
- Host Fundraisers

Former Representative Franklin Roosevelt, Jr. of New York City:
- Host Town Halls for the candidate

New York City Comptroller Abraham Beame:
- Host Town Halls
- Fundraise
- Give Stump Speeches on Primary Day

Political Operator John Bailey of Connecticut:
- Lead Infrastructure
- Head state campaign

All other endorsers are to stump speech and participate in GOTV if possible.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #902 on: October 20, 2015, 07:53:30 PM »

TV Ad: Mayor Yorty Speaks to Voters

Good evening. This is Mayor Sam Yorty.

I've come to talk to you directly about the choice that you'll be making in your primary. If you're fed up with the way things are, then we can't just vote in the same people in and out of office. If you're concerned about the direction that our country is heading, then voting for conventional politicians will do you no good. If you want to make a real change, then we can't allow the establishment to silence your voices. I'm running because I'm with you: I'm fed up with the way things are, I'm concerned about the direction that our country is heading, and I want to make a real change. If you'll allow me the opportunity to tackle these issues as your next president, then we may just fix our problems and come out better than ever.

Thank you all for your support, and God bless this country.

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #903 on: October 20, 2015, 08:55:24 PM »

Television Ad: Our Future

George McGovern Speaking -

I met this amazing couple down in Texas that, to me, exemplifies what our Democratic party can be.  This couple, Bill and Hillary Clinton, have a faith in our party - in our ideal - that inspire me.  With young people such as this - just think where our party will go!

Will Be Airing In:
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #904 on: October 20, 2015, 08:58:36 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2015, 09:04:35 PM by Speaker NeverAgain »

Monday, Jun 7:  NEW YORK
New York - Policy Speech on "Governmental Abuses are Remedied Only by Governmental Transparency"
Buffalo - Barnstorming
Yonkers - Town Hall

"I've heard a lot about Mayor Yorty saying how much he's going to fight . . . fight the establishment, fight a war, fight crime, fight party bosses, fight!  But the honorable Mayor seems to have mixed up "fighting FOR" an ideal with simply "fighting."  I've taken on my fair share of fights in my life - fight for country, fight for civil rights, fight for governmental transparency, and most importantly the fight for you.  Now there's a fight I want to take up . . . I will fight for you and the causes we hold dear every day - but simply fighting to fight, Mayor Yorty, to call the lesser loser a winner doesn't make him so."  

Tuesday, Jun 8: NEW YORK
Rochester - Policy Speech on "Workers' Rights ARE Civil Rights"
Syracuse - Barnstorming
Albany - Barnstorming

Wednesday, Jun 9:  NEW YORK
New York - Policy Speech on "End the War in Vietnam"
New Rochelle - Town Hall
Mount Vernon - Town Hall

"I have said it before, and it warrants saying again:  “I'm fed up to the ears with old men dreaming up wars for young men to die in.”  It doesn t require any particular bravery to stand here and urge our boys in Vietnam to fight harder and if this war mushrooms into a major conflict and a hundred thousand young Americans are killed it won t be Sam Yorty who dies to "fight communism." It will be American soldiers who are too young to even run for office.”

Thursday,  Jun 10:  NEW YORK
Syracuse - Policy Speech on "Quality Education for All"
Schenectady - Barnstorming
Utica - Barnstorming

Friday, Jun 11:  NEW YORK/DELAWARE
New York - Final Campaign Speech to Volunteers
Middletown - Town Hall
Smyrna - Barnstorming

"I must admit I get a bit of a chuckle when Mayor Yorty calls me a radical.  I am a moderate liberal who simply wishes to call America home to the principles that gave us birth - liberty, justice, equality, and protection."

Saturday, Jun 12: DELAWARE
Wilmington - Policy Speech on "Fair Pay for Fair Work"
Milford - Barnstorming
Seaford - Town Hall

Sunday, Jun 13:  DELAWARE
Dover - Policy Speech on "The Erosion of Our Democracy - What YOU Can Do!"
Georgetown - Barnstorming
Elsmere - Town Hall

"The highest patriotism is not a blind acceptance of official policy, but a love of one's country deep enough to call her to a higher standard.  We are calling her to a higher standard - and we need you to join us.”

Monday, Jun 14:  DELAWARE/WASHINGTON D.C.
Newark - Final Campaign Speech to Volunteers
New Castle -  Barnstorming
Washington D.C. - Congressional Duties                

Wednesday, Jun 15:  TEXAS
Houston - Policy Speech on "Support Unions to Protect Our Workers"
Arlington - Barnstorming
Corpus Christi - Barnstorming

"Mayor Yorty:  You have somehow become convinced that negative campaigning pays off in elections.  I, instead, think that we politicians should call our citizens to be more than, greater than anyone thought possible."

Thursday,  Jun 16:  TEXAS
Dallas - Policy Speech on "Pushing for Environmental Protection"
Plano - Barnstorming
Laredo - Barnstorming

"You have called me pro-acid - my actual comment was "I am fed up with a system which busts the pot smoker and lets the big dope racketeer go free."  I think that's a matter of equity, and I think the American people think so too.  Somehow, you hear that as "pro-acid"."

Friday, Jun 17:  TEXAS
Austin - Policy Speech on "Enforce our Hard-Won Civil Rights"
Lubbock - Barnstorming
Garland - Barnstorming

Saturday, Jun 18: TEXAS
Fort Worth - Policy Speech on "When Will The Last Soldier Die in Vietnam?"
Irving - Town Hall
Amarillo - Barnstorming

Sunday, Jun 19:  TEXAS
El Paso - Policy Speech on "The Need for Law and Order - NOW"
Grand Prarie - Barnstorming
Brownsville - Town Hall

"Well, I suppose Mayor Yorty is accurate when he says that he has been talking about CRIME . . . but that's because I have chosen to talk about the need for law and order.  You see, Mayor Yorty talks about the PROBLEMS he sees, while I talk about the SOLUTIONS I see.  It takes very little to complain or gripe about a problem - it takes a lot more to identify a solution and stand your ground.  I have done that and I will continue to do that.  We are a country in which the rule of law is paramount, and in which law and order must prevail."

Monday, Jun 20:  TEXAS
Houston - Final Campaign Speech to Volunteers
McKinney - Barnstorming
Pasadena - Town Hall

"Politics is an act of faith; you have to show some kind of confidence in the intellectual and moral capacity of the public - I do!  Do you, Mayor Yorty?"

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #905 on: October 20, 2015, 09:00:19 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2015, 09:03:51 PM by Speaker NeverAgain »

Endorsements -

James V. Tunney: As Senator From California, Tunney will be strongly campaigning for McGovern in Texas.

Mike Mansfield: As Senate Majority Leader, Mansfield will be talking about the "Fight For Peace" in Vietnam all over New York.

Ernest McFarland: As Former Senator from the West, McFarland will be campaigning all over New York

Gore Vidal: As a political activist and novelist, Vidal will be fighting for civil rights all over New York.

Sam Shapiro: Shapiro will talk to crowds about the needs of a governor, and how McGovern is best suited to the people of New York.

Ralph Nader: As A political activist, Nader will be campaigning all over Texas.

Guy Gillette: Gillette will be campaigning all through Texas.

Gaylord Nelson: Nelson will be campaigning through town halls in Texas

Warren Beatty + Shirley McClaine: Beatty + McClaine will be campaigning for McGovern in Texas.

Elbert N. Carvel: Governor Carvel will be campaigning in his home state of Delaware.

Gloria Steinem and Betty Friedan: Mrs. Friedan + Mrs. Steinem are campaigning all around New York

Shirley Chisholm: Rep. Chisholm will be campaigning in her home territory of NY

Eugene McCarthy: McCarthy will be speaking to rural and urban voters in TX
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #906 on: October 20, 2015, 09:08:49 PM »

Well, I think that's it. Very good work, gentlemen, results will be in shortly.

After that... the DNC begins tonight as well!
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #907 on: October 20, 2015, 09:09:32 PM »

Sam Yorty Response to George McGovern's Attacks

Senator, you say that I only "fight," not "fight for" anything. Well, let's make it very clear: I fight for the American people each and every day. I fight for their right to live decent lives. They shouldn't be scared of their own streets, and they should be able to have great opportunities if they want to succeed. That starts with addressing the problems we have, though. Yes, I'm a fighter, but I'm a fighter with a cause. You have solutions, but you don't recognize the original problems that have led us to where we are. As long as we keep the same crop of politicians around, we'll never change anything for the better. That's why I'm in this race.

[I just finished this when you posted, Lumine]
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #908 on: October 20, 2015, 09:16:34 PM »

Well, I think that's it. Very good work, gentlemen, results will be in shortly.

After that... the DNC begins tonight as well!
Wishing all my fellow candidates luck and well wishes. Let's take down Nixon! (No Offense Dar!) Also thanks for all you do Lumine.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #909 on: October 20, 2015, 09:18:17 PM »

Yeah, thanks for everything, Lumine. This primary season has been one hell of a ride!
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #910 on: October 20, 2015, 09:19:45 PM »

Yeah, thanks for everything, Lumine. This primary season has been one hell of a ride!
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #911 on: October 20, 2015, 09:19:56 PM »

YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #912 on: October 20, 2015, 09:20:19 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #913 on: October 20, 2015, 09:27:52 PM »

This has been as interesting as some of the best timelines on here; keep up the awesome work guys!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #914 on: October 20, 2015, 09:37:27 PM »

June 14th:

Democratic Texas Caucus:

Sam Yorty: 31.62% (57)
Ed Muskie: 30.01% (54)
Fred Harris: 24.53% (40)
George McGovern: 10.39%
Morris Udall: 3.45%

Democratic Maine Caucus:

Ed Muskie: 66.72% (18)
George McGovern: 14.21%
Morris Udall: 10.56%
Fred Harris: 4.33%
Sam Yorty: 4.18%

Democratic Oklahoma Caucus:

Fred Harris: 51.28% (20)
Sam Yorty: 22.48% (11)
Ed Muskie: 15.70% (7)
George McGovern: 7.99%
Morris Udall: 2.55%

Democratic Delaware Caucus:

George McGovern: 31.23% (5)
Ed Muskie: 30.35% (4)
Morris Udall: 20.78% (3)
Sam Yorty: 9.10%
Fred Harris: 8.54%

June 20th:

Democratic New York Primary:

Morris Udall: 24.99% (78)
George McGovern: 24.68% (74)
Ed Muskie: 23.26% (65)
Sam Yorty: 17.02% (51)
Fred Harris: 10.05%
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #915 on: October 20, 2015, 09:44:36 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #916 on: October 20, 2015, 09:49:54 PM »

Before the Democratic National Convention:
June-July 1972:

Kennedy will NOT run for President or accept VP Nomination:
(Yes, Kennedy is not available as a candidate or as a VP, don’t insist!)

Senator Edward “Ted” Kennedy (D-MA) ended months of speculation regarding his plans on the 72’ race, issuing a press conference in the aftermath of the final New York Primary. Mr. Kennedy, whom polling showed to be the favorite for his party’s nomination months ago and a strong contender against President Nixon, stressed that despite his concerns over a brokered convention and the immediate failure of the primaries to produce a nominee he will not run for President under any circumstances, Senator Kennedy also stressed that he would not accept being drafted, nor would he take a Vice-Presidential nomination if offered. While it is still believed that some delegates will hold up for Kennedy, this has been reported as the end to any late bid that might storm the convention and succeed in the first attempt.

Rise of the Favorite Sons:

While most of the delegates coming to Democratic National Committee are indeed pledged to a candidate, there’s a sizable bloc of delegates who have refused to lend their support to the current candidates in the first ballot. As a result and given their geographical disparity, a growing number of “favorite son” candidates have declared they will accept votes from their state’s delegates in order to avoid a more chaotic vote.

From Iowa comes Senator Harold Hughes, from South Carolina comes Governor John C. West, from Florida, Governor Reubin Askew, from Washington DC is delegate Walter Fauntroy, and from Idaho we have Governor Cecil D. Andrus. In the middle between being a serious candidate and a favorite son we have Senator Adlai Stevenson III (D-IL), who has been nominated by Mayor Daley and the Illinois delegates formerly pledged to John Lindsay. Closing the list come forty or so unpledged delegates from the rest of the country, speculation naming Ted Kennedy, Shirley Chisholm, Scoop Jackson and Hubert Humphrey (all currently not candidates) as the probably beneficiaries of those votes.

Late Entries?

Whereas it has been established that no major contenders will enter the race before the first ballot of the DNC (save for current candidates and favorite sons), mounting speculation points to the second ballot as the real battleground, provided the first one does not produce a nominee. Many have been named as potential compromise choices for a late bid, chief among them former Vice-President Hubert Humphrey (D-MN), but concrete signs have appeared from at least two Democratic heavyweights; former Florida Governor George Smathers and Indiana Senator Birch Bayh, both seen as mostly moderate despite Smathers’s affiliation to the conservative wing and Bayh’s role in the liberal wing. Predicting the outcome of these late bids is beyond impossible, but private interviews with delegates suggest Smathers would find immediate support among unpledged delegates in Florida and South Carolina, and in Bayh’s case a large part of the Indiana delegation might switch to him.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #917 on: October 20, 2015, 09:53:55 PM »

Democratic National Convention:
July 10-13 1972:

Evening, ladies and gentlemen!

We have been immersed in the world of the 1972 Primary Season since July, and after three months of hard work, speechwriting and chronic backstabbing disorder it is time for Democrats to fight over their nominee. I must confess the results of this primary were beyond my wildest hopes, for we have a solid number of candidates still standing yet no clear nominee, opening up an interesting gameplay road which I intend to exploit. To make a convention playable to this level is new ground on Election Games, so let us make this an interesting DNC!

Let’s take a look at gameplay then:

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #918 on: October 20, 2015, 09:55:21 PM »

That should cover it, please do read the rules carefully so we don't have mistakes.

Going by my schedule, you have until Thursday at this very same hour to post nomination speeches or do your preparations for the First Ballot. Then results will be revealed.

Best of luck to everyone, I hope this will prove an interesting innovation!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #919 on: October 20, 2015, 10:03:23 PM »

Also, since the question already came up, no formal endorsement requests, that was left for primary season (unless it's from one candidate to another).
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #920 on: October 21, 2015, 06:00:46 AM »

INDEPENDENT NATIONAL CONVENTION
July 2-5 1972
Salt Lake City Utah

Schedule of Speeches
July 2, 1972:

Opening Prayer: Bishop Joseph Federal Diocese of Salt Lake
Procession of All State Flags, Confederate Flags, American Revolution Flag and The Christian Flag all people holding flags are dressed up in period clothing
Pledge of Allegiance Boy Scout Troop 1 of Salt Lake City
Welcome to Salt Lake by Mayor Jake Garn

Reminding people to vote for VP: Thomas J Anderson

Eleanor Cruz
General John Singlaub
Cleon Skousen
Sheriffs of South Carolina by Video
John C. Coolidge
Carl Karcher
Fess Parker wearing Davy Crockett Suit
Native American Leaders for Schmitz
Phyllis Schafly
National Right to Life Committee
Congressman Sam Stieger

July 3, 1972

Fmr. Secretary of Defense Thomas Gates
Kent Courtney
Austrian Economics Club of America
Congressman John Ashbrook
The John Birch Society and their Leader Robert Welch with the Koch Brothers
Colonel Harlan Sanders
Rousas Rushdoony
Larry McDonald
John G Crommelin

John G. Schmitz announcing the Vice President

John Rarick: 19,458
Ezra Taft Benson: 14,980
Sam Stieger: 10,983
John Wayne: 7,432
John Ashbrook: 4,872
James Buckley: 4,775
Eleanor Cruz: 3,056
Robert Welch: 2,568
Kent Courtney: 1,089
Write In: Storm Thurmond 85
Write In Billy Graham: 64

THE TICKET IS JOHN G. SCHMITZ/JOHN RARICK!!!
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #921 on: October 21, 2015, 02:39:37 PM »

Photographs of the INC 1972

The Scene after John Rarick is announced as VP

Meeting with State Leadership Teams

First Pictures of the Candidate Together

After this Schmitz will be flying to visit the DNC, and meet with conservative voters and delegates.

Schmitz has also hired 37 of the Wallace State Chairs.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #922 on: October 21, 2015, 02:50:42 PM »

Nominating Speech for Sam Yorty - Delivered by the Honorable George Meany

My fellow Democrats and my fellow Americans,

We have the chance to make history this week, right here in this very convention hall. After years of turmoil and malaise, our nation is left weaker than it has been in many years. The foundation of this country that has made us so unique is left crumbling, with almost no one bold enough to do something about it. How much longer can this go on before our foundation turns to rubble? The time to act is now.

I proudly nominate my good friend, Los Angeles Mayor Samuel W. Yorty, for president. Only Mayor Yorty has shown that he recognizes the many problems that our society faces, and he's the only one with real solutions to fix this country and turn it around. We cannot continue to push the same politicians that have led us to our problems to begin with. What we need is a real regime change. Mayor Yorty has been fighting institutions since he got started in politics. He's led the fight for labor in California, he beat back the elites in Los Angeles when he was elected mayor, and he continues to stand up as an independent voice in our party today.

The costs are too high to make the wrong decision when we nominate our choice for president. We need someone who stands up for the working class. We need someone who can defend America and defend American values. We need someone who has the passion to bring real change to Washington after years of failed promises. Only Sam Yorty can do that, and I urge the delegates of this convention to do what is right.

Thank you.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #923 on: October 21, 2015, 04:57:27 PM »

What about the RNC?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #924 on: October 21, 2015, 05:08:59 PM »

It was held on August in OTL, it will come later.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies