Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:38:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy) (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)  (Read 108238 times)
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2015, 11:58:46 PM »

The McGovern Campaign Applies for all Caucuses and Primaries available. I just got off school, and will be posting in the next couple of minutes after researching it. Thanks for the extension, again.

Srry Spiral, he did.

That was for this last turn when we had all those Southern states. The turn before that was when filing for MA and PA was open.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2015, 12:29:16 AM »

For what it's worth, you've been doing a tremendous job as GM and you're one of the best ones these games have ever had. From past experience I know how much time has to be devoted to a game like this. Keep up the great work!
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2015, 09:48:19 PM »

Well, gentlemen, we have a problem. A week has passed and not many have posted, which does put me into a dilemma on how exactly to proceed.

Any suggestions?

I thought we still had until tomorrow afternoon, right? I'm intending to get everything out by then; it's just that I normally tend to delay my posts by working on them over time so I can put the best quality in them. Right now I don't believe that there's a huge problem with inactivity since we're all still getting our posts out by the deadline.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2015, 05:52:28 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2015, 07:56:26 PM by Spiral »

TV Ad: People on the Street

We asked regular people on the street what they think about Mayor Sam Yorty.

“Oh, he’s a fighter! And he’s feisty!”

“The guy is honest, and I can’t say that about most politicians.”

“He’s got real courage to stand up and not be like all the other candidates.”

“I don’t agree with him all the time, but at least I know he’s actually fighting for people like me.”

“He cares about people. He wants to protect me and my family.”

“You can tell he’s an independent thinker. No one has bought him out.”

“We need more leaders who have conviction, so that’s why I’m supporting him.”

The verdict is clear: Sam Yorty fights for people like you.

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2015, 06:03:59 PM »

Sam Yorty Campaign Schedule: April 18-April 30 (Part 1/2)

April 18
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Beverly, MA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Pittsfield, MA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Attleboro, MA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Braintree, MA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Arlington, MA

Massachusetts, you have seen how our campaign’s support has skyrocketed across the country over time. Not only are we doing well in the South, but we’re doing well in the West, and, contrary to what the talking heads on TV think, we’re doing well in the North too! I hope my opponents haven’t forgotten that our very first victory was in neighboring New Hampshire. And, folks, what was done in New Hampshire can be done in Massachusetts with enough hard work! We are the underdogs in this state, but we have an opportunity to do much better than anyone realized. Will you mobilize in the streets and make sure that all of your voices are heard next week?

April 19
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Medford, MA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Fall River, MA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Newton, MA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Brockton, MA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Cambridge, MA

April 20
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Quincy, MA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Lowell, MA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Springfield, MA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Worcester, MA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Boston, MA

Understand that we have irresponsible leaders running this country. All they want is business as usual so they can continue on their careers at the expense of everyone else. Frankly, we’ve had enough of that kind of mentality! George McGovern, Ed Muskie, and Fred Harris are all part of the same gang in Washington who are desperately out of touch with regular Americans. In Massachusetts and across the country, you have good, hard-working Americans struggling to live their lives and who just want to leave their kids in a better state than where they were. Those who want the American dream know that it’s harder by the day to achieve that dream. The United States needs a change right now, and I humbly ask for your support so that we can bring the change we need in this country. Everyone will be better off for it.

April 21
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Radnor, PA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Mount Lebanon, PA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Norristown, PA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in State College, PA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Chester City, PA

For 40 years, I’ve been at the forefront of the labor issue. No one here has the proven track record for defending unions that can top mine. From a young lawyer to a state assemblyman to a congressman and to a major city mayor, this is something that I have never stopped fighting for. And, let me tell ya, you want a fighter in the White House, I can’t think of anyone else better than myself! I appreciate that my opponents like Senator Harris, Senator McGovern, and Governor Wallace bring up these issues, but they’re newcomers compared to me. An old, steady hand is what will provide the leadership we need on these issues.

April 22
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Cheltenham, PA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Wilkes Barre City, PA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Ridley, PA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in York City, PA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Lower Paxton, PA

You can tell that Senator Muskie is worn out, folks. He knows that this is his last stand. He’ll try to win Pennsylvania so he can run for a few more miles. However, he doesn’t realize that his campaign continues to lack energy and an inspiring message. All I’ve heard from him for months is, “Yorty is bad, and I can unite people!” What kind of a message is that if you keep relying on me for attacks? I barely hear him talk about his own solutions. Senator Muskie is desperate, and he should know that he clearly can’t unite people if even his own party has rejected him time and time again. On the 25th, let’s send a message to Senator Muskie that his time is finally up!

April 23
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Altoona, PA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Haverford, PA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Abington, PA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Harrisburg, PA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Scranton, PA

Here in Scranton and in many other places across the country, manufacturing has slowly been decimated. Who’s to blame for this? Well, many people are to blame, but President Nixon certainly hasn’t given a real damn about ordinary people like all of you out here. This is true of many politicians in Washington, D.C. All they want to do is secure your vote and cash out their paycheck! Meanwhile, they’ve forgotten about the thousands of families who have lost good-paying jobs and their own paychecks that come from them. As someone running for the highest office in the land, I would be a failure as President if I didn’t try to do anything about this, and, believe me, I’ll be fighting for you every step of the way. I won’t forget about you.

April 24
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Lower Merion, PA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Lancaster City, PA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Bensalem, PA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Millcreek Township, PA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Upper Darby, PA

April 25
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Reading City, PA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Erie, PA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Allentown, PA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Pittsburgh, PA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Philadelphia, PA

Mr. Hoover had his fair share of controversies over the years, but what you can’t dispute is that he cared about keeping this country safe. We need men with the backbone of Mr. Hoover to bring back good government. When you have criminals and terrorists running rampant, it’s time for a good crackdown, and so far our leaders have done little to nothing to stop these threats to society. Why should you care? Because, ladies and gentlemen, they’re a threat to you, your family, your friends, and your neighbors. These people have no morals, and they’re not afraid to wreak havoc and do harm. Philadelphia has seen riots just like many other cities have, so you know what I’m talking about. These other candidates won’t do jack to keep you safe. They have no solutions. They have no backbone. All they care about is getting elected. Isn’t it time to elect leaders that actually care about you and your safety?

April 26
-Town Hall in La Porte, IN
-Town Hall in Munster, IN
-Rally in Muncie, IN
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Carmel, IN
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Indianapolis, IN

What have I been saying all this time? It’s clear that the current strategy in Vietnam of a half-hearted effort has gone bust, and it’s thanks to the current administration. We cannot tolerate an advancing AVRN taking back territory, nor can we tolerate the North’s jets launching surprise attacks at our ships. Ladies and gentlemen, we have to get the job done. A President Yorty would reorganize our entire Vietnam strategy and focus on winning. It can be done, but not with the incompetent people currently in charge. If you want to defeat communism and spread liberty across the world, then it’s time for a new type of leader—not the same old Washington hacks.

April 27
-Town Hall in Mason, OH
-Town Hall in Bowling Green, OH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Huber Heights, OH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Strongsville, OH
-Fundraiser in Columbus, OH

The middle class and the poorest among us don’t have many voices in government who really do care about them. As I’ve said before, many of my opponents are just career politicians who care more about being reelected than representing their constituents. They are not statesmen, they are opportunists. The fact that we have so many of them around is just sickening. On the campaign trail, I’ve talked for months about the concrete solutions I’m proposing to raise everybody’s standard of living. You need a leader who has the vision and who has the guts to do what they say, and I think I can claim that about myself. All of my career in politics has been about that. Ohio, I’m counting on you to keep up our momentum so we can head in the White House and do what needs to be done!

April 28
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Dublin, OH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Beavercreek, OH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Fairfield, OH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Newark, OH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Findlay, OH

It warms my heart to see so many good-natured, hard-working Americans coming out and believing in a message like mine. You, folks, are the reason why this campaign is going strong. If it was just me, then I would be a lonely voice in a sea of many. But, all the work that you have put in counts. Thanks to you, we have made a difference and we have won in a number of states already! I know that we can keep this up. Ohio, I need you to storm the polls and make your voices heard! We can win here, and we can win the nomination!

April 29
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Grove City, OH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Euclid, OH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Springfield, OH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Youngstown, OH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Hamilton, OH

April 30
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Dayton, OH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Toledo, OH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Cincinnati, OH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Cleveland, OH
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Columbus, OH

The economy is not President Nixon’s strong suit, to put it lightly. Under his presidency, he has implanted disastrous price controls and ramped up spending to uncontrollable levels. Not only are households feeling the pinch right now, but future generations will be saddled with debt that can make this country insolvent if nothing is done about it. We have to be compassionate, yes, but we also have to be frugal with our resources. Invest in sectors that yield good results and encourage economic growth, not deliberately constrain it. As President, I’m going to look out for you. I want to make sure that our economy rebounds and is stronger than ever. With the current leadership, you’ll just feel the same grief as ever. With me, things will change.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2015, 06:09:16 PM »

Sam Yorty Campaign Schedule: May 1-6 (Part 2/2)

The Southern Strategy

May 1
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Warner Robins, GA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Macon, GA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Athens, GA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Savannah, GA
-Fundraiser in Atlanta, GA

Governor Wallace has flip-flopped on some key issues in a matter of years. Just in 1968, he was for smaller government in our lives. He thought the Johnson years were full of bloated bureaucracy. Now, fast forward to 1972, and he's for nationalizing industry! If that isn't a turnaround I don't know what is! He may hate the hippies, but he should be careful about his own radical beliefs, because they sound more Soviet to me than anything. Why don't you go for a candidate who is grounded in reality and who has always been consistent?

May 2
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Rocky Mount, NC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Jacksonville, NC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Greenville, NC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Chapel Hill, NC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Concord, NC

If I were advising Nixon right now, here’s what I would tell him: Bomb the North! We can’t keep being indecisive about what our goals are. If you want to squash the communists in Vietnam, then, by God, do something about it! Bombing would only be a start to finishing the job, though. As I laid out in my plans a couple of weeks back in Arlington, we need to be smart with bombing the North and also invest more troops in key areas. Sometimes I wish the politicians in D.C. would listen to citizens a little more often, but we already know from their records that they are failures. It’s time for a clean slate.

May 3
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Asheville, NC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in High Point, NC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Cary, NC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Fayetteville, NC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Winston-Salem, NC

Fred Harris is part of the establishment that has left us in the state that we’re in today. He may talk differently and sound like a populist, but remember: the guy is a run-of-the-mill lawyer! He doesn’t understand where you all are coming from. He can’t relate. Not only that, but he has little to show in his career about what he’s accomplished. Senator Harris may talk the talk, but he just can’t walk the walk. If you’re thinking about supporting Harris in the primary, I ask that you look at my campaign. I can claim to be a person of integrity like Senator Harris claims for himself, but I can also show it. I’ve stood up to special interests and big party bosses throughout my career. In this election, I’m the true populist.

May 4
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Wilmington, NC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Durham, NC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Greensboro, NC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Raleigh, NC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Charlotte, NC

Folks, I appreciate Governor Wallace. However, Governor Wallace is a latecomer. After waffling on another third-party bid, he decides to retreat to the Democrats. Now, I’m a man who likes consistency. I echo something that Senator Harris asked a while back: What is Governor Wallace’s allegiance to the Democratic Party? He offers a lot of red meat to the good people of the South, but can we be sure that he would effectively campaign against Nixon in the general election? I have some doubts. Now, who has been here in the primaries raising these issues from the beginning? I was the first one to talk about the crime epidemic plaguing our neighborhoods. I warned against the pro-busing forces invading our communities and lowering the quality of education. I’ve been firm against the radicals trying to take over this party and who now support candidates like McGovern. I’ve been fighting over these issues from the very beginning of my campaign, and I’ve shown the dedication needed to take the fight over the long haul. If you want to win, North Carolina, then I’m your choice this week.

May 5
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Alexandria, LA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Monroe, LA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Kenner, LA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Bossier City, LA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Lake Charles, LA

This policy of busing that Washington is pushing will be devastating to families across the country. As you’re out trying to decide who to caucus for, you have to examine the records of the candidates. Fred Harris, Ed Muskie, and George McGovern all unapologetically support busing nationwide. This means that, for the sake of “equality,” we will erode quality education and increase friction in our communities. Only a fool would support policies like that, so they do not deserve your vote. Look at my record, though. I have been firm and said “no” to busing from the beginning, because I know the harm it will do in Louisiana and everywhere else. Even when the media battered me for weeks about it, I’ve stood my ground. Know that you’ll have a fighter in the White House in Sam Yorty.

May 6
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Lafayette, LA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Metairie, LA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Shreveport, LA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Baton Rogue, LA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in New Orleans, LA

Louisiana, I know we can win here! We’re the best organized campaign and we have the momentum going as the one candidate who can compete with and beat McGovern. Senator McGovern is a threat to you and your entire way of life. I fear what he could do if he ever were in the White House. Now that he’s in the lead nationally, we need to unite behind one candidate who can stand toe-to-toe with him. Many of you like Governor Wallace, but he has proven to be too divisive and does not have the resources to win the nomination. If you’re tempted by Senator Harris’s populist rhetoric, he’s nearly as bad as McGovern with his pro-busing policy and his embrace of the radicals. In this caucus tonight, I need you to show up and vote to stop McGovern. The only way to do that is to caucus for Yorty.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2015, 06:22:42 PM »

Campaign Activities

-Aggressive fundraising in California, New York, Florida, Illinois, Texas, Michigan, Ohio, Virginia, and North Carolina
-Contacting new donors in California, New York, Florida, Texas, Virginia, Michigan, Pennsylvania and North Carolina
-Opening new campaign offices in California, Michigan, Maryland, Washington, and New York
-Greatly expanding campaign offices in California
-Hiring staff/recruiting volunteers in California, Michigan, Maryland, Arkansas, and Kentucky
-Expansion of direct mail advertising in California, Michigan, Maryland, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Washington

The Yorty campaign will file for the Michigan, Maryland, Oregon, and California primaries.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2015, 06:41:06 PM »

Sam Yorty Endorsements

Former Governor Jimmie Davis (D-LA)

Folks, I may be an old crooner now, but I know someone with spirit when I see 'em. Sam Yorty is my kind of guy. I think he has what it takes to go all the way to the White House if we give him a chance. That starts in Louisiana. You betcha I'll work to make him win here!

Governor Davis will be heading the Yorty campaign's Louisiana operation, barnstorming the state and organizing activists to show up on caucus night.

Former Governor John McKeithen (D-LA)

Mayor Yorty represents the spirit of the Democratic Party that I fear is slipping away. He understands the importance of heritage and American strength while the other candidates have failed to impress me. He has my support, and hopefully Louisiana's.

Governor McKeithen will be barnstorming Lousiana for all two weeks and organizing activists to show up on caucus night.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2015, 07:53:34 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2015, 07:58:50 PM by Spiral »

Sam Yorty GOTV Strategy: Delegate Hunting

Leaving April and heading into May, the Yorty campaign's strategy for the primaries and caucuses is simple: maximize delegates across the board. While there are not as many states open for a clear victory as in past primaries, the campaign is competitive in most of them and it seeks to bolster their showings through an intense GOTV operation. This way, they may still come out as the 'winner' in the end. For all of the states, the following actions are being conducted:

-Targeting undecided voters, highlighting Yorty’s independent streak and willingness to “speak the truth” on law and order along with other issues
-Targeting blue collar voters in urban and suburban areas, highlighting the economy, labor issues, law and order, and Vietnam
-Targeting ethnic voters statewide, highlighting the economy, labor issues, law and order, and Vietnam
-Targeting white collar voters in urban areas, highlighting the economy, education, and law and order
-Targeting low-income voters across the state (especially in rural areas), highlighting the economy, education, and healthcare
-Targeting union members across the state, highlighting labor, the economy, education, and healthcare
-Targeting veterans and those currently serving across the state, highlighting a muscular foreign policy and new attention on veterans' affairs
-Targeting moderate and conservative Democrats, citing Yorty's positions on law and order, the economy, and foreign policy
-Targeting disaffected Democrats across the state who normally don't vote
-Targeting Republicans to vote in the Democratic primaries, highlighting Yorty as the candidate with the greatest crossover appeal
-Persuading former Lindsay supporters to switch to Yorty, highlighting their similarities on issues such as law and order along with noting their civility to each other on the campaign trail
-Persuading Muskie supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Muskie as "just another politician" and showcasing Yorty as a similar moderate Democrat
-Persuading Harris supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Harris for his extreme anti-war views on Vietnam and pointing to Yorty as the more "genuine" champion of issues such as labor, education, healthcare, etc.
-Persuading Wallace supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Wallace for his flip-flopping on issues and portraying as a "figure of the past," while pulling them in on issues such as busing, law and order, Vietnam, and labor

For select states, unique actions are underway:

Massachusetts
-Persuading McGovern supporters to switch to Yorty by painting Yorty as a populist who understands their needs
-Neutralizing Muskie by painting him as a Washington insider and a has-been who "had his shot" at the nomination
-Bolstering support among white ethnic voters that would otherwise go to Wallace
-Push for a strong performance

Pennsylvania
-Persuading McGovern supporters to switch to Yorty by painting Yorty as a populist who understands their needs
-Targeting factory voters, citing Yorty's pro-worker policies and populist beliefs that resonate with this group
-Neutralizing Harris and Wallace by painting Harris as a Washington insider and Wallace as a opportunistic flip-flopper
-Targeting Amish voters, citing Yorty's belief in family values and support for Amish autonomy
-Push for a victory

Ohio
-Neutralizing Muskie by painting him as a Washington insider and a has-been who "had his shot" at the nomination
-Neutralizing Harris and Wallace by painting Harris as a Washington insider and Wallace as a opportunistic flip-flopper
-Targeting Amish voters, citing Yorty's belief in family values and support for Amish autonomy
-Push for a victory

Indiana
-Targeting Evangelical voters, citing Yorty's beliefs in family values and strong communities
-Targeting Black protestant voters, citing Yorty's beliefs in family values and strong communities
-Push for a strong performance

Tennessee
-Aggressively bringing down Wallace's support by calling him an opportunistic flip-flopper
-Targeting Baptist voters, citing Yorty's beliefs in family values and strong communities
-Consolidating support as the "anti-Wallace" alternative by pointing out flaws in Muskie and Harris
-Targeting coal workers, citing Yorty's pro-worker policies and his push for better jobs

Georgia
-Aggressively bringing down Wallace's support by calling him an opportunistic flip-flopper
-Targeting poor black voters, positioning Yorty as the strongest "anti-Wallace" alternative who will look out for them
-Consolidating support as the "anti-Wallace" alternative by pointing out flaws in Muskie and Harris

Alabama
-Targeting Evangelical voters, citing Yorty's belief in family values and strong communities
-Targeting black voters, positioning Yorty as the strongest "anti-Wallace" alternative

Mississippi
-Targeting Evangelical voters, citing Yorty's belief in family values and strong communities
-Targeting black voters, positioning Yorty as the strongest "anti-Wallace" alternative

North Carolina
-Targeting Black Protestant voters, citing Yorty's belief in family values and strong communities
-Push for a victory

Louisiana
-Targeting Black Protestant voters, citing Yorty's belief in family values and strong communities
-Push for a victory

North Dakota
-Targeting voters across the board by highlighting Yorty's Western appeal and independent nature
-Targeting rural voters by highlighting Yorty's level of attention paid to them on the campaign trail

It is the Yorty campaign's hope that with this very aggressive GOTV operation, they will be able to acquire as many delegates as possible and come out with the most in the end, even if they don't win the plurality of states--for, in the end, delegates are what count in the convention.

In the first week, with many McGovern supporters up in the air with him off the ballot in Massachusetts and Pennsylvania, Yorty hopes to secure a decent chunk of those voters, as well as boost the regular voting blocs that come out for Yorty. For Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Indiana, special attention is being paid to organizing in both the large cities and in sparse rural areas. Yorty typically overperforms in rural areas by a large measure, although Yorty is also seeking to overperform just as much in urban areas, so the candidate is employing a big-city strategy in the final days of campaigning in those states. As much as possible, Yorty is also undermining Muskie and Harris by painting them as creatures of Washington who don't relate to ordinary Americans. The Rust Belt is fertile ground for Yorty, so he is expected to exceed expectations in these states when the votes are counted.

Coming into May, the Southern primaries are also given much attention, and despite Wallace's presence, the campaign believes that Yorty can still do very well and even win in at least two states: North Carolina and Louisiana. In addition, Yorty is also positioning himself in a new role in the South: the main "anti-Wallace" alternative. With this strategy, the campaign is actively seeking out voters to strategically switch their allegiances from other candidates to Yorty in order to halt Wallace's momentum. Wallace is painted as the radical while Yorty is the moderate with the only chance of beating him in any of the Southern primaries. To this effect, the campaign has been relentless in taking in voters from Harris, Muskie, and even McGovern. Yorty surrogates have also been attacking Harris and Muskie constantly for their pro-busing stance and their general hostility to Southern values, further eroding opponents' support. This strategy is being employed throughout the entire region, even in Wallace's home state of Alabama to weaken him, where Yorty still expects to pick up a sizable number of delegates.

Ultimately, should the Yorty campaign's GOTV strategy be successful, Yorty will overperform in nearly all of the states and collect many more delegates than expected. As the campaign with the strongest organization, it is expected that all of these efforts with yield excellent results and put Yorty in a solid path to the nomination.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2015, 08:17:51 PM »

TV Ad: Busing

"I unequivocally stand in favor of equal education. And that, like it or not, requires busing. [. . .] Only through busing can we have equal education." --Ed Muskie, Florida straw poll

"I stand firmly behind the policy of busing. [. . .] Busing is part of the big picture of general societal integration and ending racism." --Fred Harris, Democratic primary debate

The records speak for themselves. Ed Muskie and Fred Harris do not stand for Southern values.

Vote for someone who does. Vote for Sam Yorty.

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2015, 08:28:44 PM »

Sam Yorty Response to Fred Harris

Senator Harris, again, is trying to weasel his way out of a situation by launching attacks at others. Here are the facts: he is a lawyer by trade who doesn't have much of a record. He comes into Washington as a senator and snuggles up to the party establishment, and that's best shown by how he got the DNC chairmanship. He can call me a crazy demagogue all he wants, but I have a plan to end the crime wave, revive the economy, and win the war in Vietnam. He doesn't.

Also, Senator Harris got caught in a brazen lie. He claims that he doesn't support busing as a nationwide policy. Really? That's not what you said a few months ago at the last debate. He made it clear that he supports busing and is unapologetic about it. Either Senator Harris is being deceptive about his real beliefs or he has flip-flopped on this in a really short time.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2015, 08:41:01 PM »

Sam Yorty on George Wallace's Attack Ad

I would hope that Governor Wallace would run a campaign based on the facts, but he is sadly going in an opposite direction. To claim that I'm for "forced integration" is an outright lie, and one that I condemn Governor Wallace for approving. I have made it clear for many months that I am strongly opposed to busing. Just like him, I realize that busing will do much more harm than good. Integration should come gradually and in a voluntary manner, by changing hearts and minds. Federal intrusion should not happen like this. If this is the type of campaign that Governor Wallace will wage, then he does not deserve the South's votes. I ask his supporters to look at my campaign instead.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2015, 08:48:38 PM »

Sam Yorty Surrogates

Jimmie Davis: Barnstorming and GOTV in LA
John McKeithen: Barnstorming and GOTV in LA
Harry F. Byrd, Jr.: Barnstorming and GOTV in NC, LA, MS, GA
Mills E. Goodwin, Jr.: Barnstorming and GOTV in MA, PA, OH, IN
Sam Ervin: Barnstorming and GOTV in NC
James F. Byrnes: Barnstorming and GOTV in MA, PA, IN, OH
William Loeb: Barnstorming and GOTV in MA, PA, OH, ND
W. Haydon Burns: Barnstorming and GOTV in MA, PA, OH, IN
Otto Kerner, Jr.: Barnstorming and GOTV in GA, TN, NC, LA
John W. King: Barnstorming and GOTV in MA, PA, OH, IN
Ross Perot: Fundraising in TX, CA
Happy Chandler: Barnstorming and GOTV in IN, NC, LA, TN
Robert Byrd: Barnstorming and GOTV in NC, LA, GA, TN
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2015, 08:53:40 PM »

I love it!
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2015, 09:29:11 PM »

Newspaper Ad: Which Way Is It?

In 1968, George Wallace called for smaller government.

Now in 1972, George Wallace calls for nationalizing industry.

Which way is it, Governor Wallace?

Vote for someone consistent and principled. Vote for Sam Yorty.

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2015, 09:38:44 PM »

Clearly, Spiral is going to be the one that gets shot - his post was #666!

If I get shot in the arm, I gladly welcome the boost in the polls. If I get killed, well, I can concentrate more on schoolwork. Tongue
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2015, 09:44:52 PM »

If I get shot in the arm, I gladly welcome the boost in the polls. If I get killed, well, I can concentrate more on schoolwork. Tongue

Do you actually support allowing one of the candidates to get killed?

I'm not as hostile to the idea as some of you are. Like Sanchez said, it adds more spice to what is already a suspenseful game. If Lumine is forced to modify his plan, I would suggest cutting the chances of getting killed to only one dice roll instead of three, or maybe some extra compensation later on in the game (like a key role in the convention) should you get killed. I would get behind those ideas if there's support for them from other players.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2015, 09:49:01 PM »

Do you actually support allowing one of the candidates to get killed?

I'm not as hostile to the idea as some of you are. Like Sanchez said, it adds more spice to what is already a suspenseful game. If Lumine is forced to modify his plan, I would suggest cutting the chances of getting killed to only one dice roll instead of three, or maybe some extra compensation later on in the game (like a key role in the convention) should you get killed. I would get behind those ideas if there's support for them from other players.

I mean, I just view it as very unfair. We've all clearly worked very hard to get ahead in the game, and for one of us to randomly be booted off (meaning that all of our work goes for nothing) for no good reason is kind of a turn-off.

I totally get that. That's why I brought up the idea of providing compensation for that player if they're the one who's killed off, which I think might prove to make the game interesting down the line, particularly if we're at a deadlocked convention.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2015, 03:39:54 PM »

My dreams of being the clear #1 in nationwide polls have yet to be realized, but at least my delegate strategy last turn paid off!

When is this turn ending?
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2015, 12:17:20 AM »

May this be extended to at least Thursday? I've got an exam coming up to get out of the way first.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2015, 11:55:58 PM »

Sam Yorty Debate Responses

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What you'll see under a President Yorty is a safe nation--one that's safe from both internal and external threats. We have to invest in our defense like never before in this changing world. With nuclear weapons being spread and communism on the rise, there are plenty of dangers out there in the world that the United States must be prepared for at all times. The first thing we have to do in provide more funding for our budget. We have to invest in the newest weapons, ships, and planes to make sure that nobody can compete with our forces. We have to focus on developing new innovative technology so we're always on top. Not only that, but we must invest in our troops: better training, better care, and more support on the battlefield.

Now, everyone else here says that they'll keep us safe, but my opponents just don't have a plan. I do. Their idea of a plan is to retreat from everywhere and pretend that everything will eventually work itself out, but they will risk our national security from day one. We've got to be proactive in using our military to actually defend our interests, not just at home but around the world. That means stomping our foot down and telling the Soviets that they can't conquer Europe or encourage chaos in Asia. Our bolstered military will be able to respond to any threat the moment it happens, because they'll be ready, they'll be efficient, and they'll be determined. If you want to see nothing change for the better, then vote for any of these other gentlemen. If you want a safe nation, vote for me.

A fundamentally decent society will have some kind of basic safety net for the worst off among us. That's something that I've always supported and continue to support. However, I'm going to have to break from my liberal friends up here on the stage. I cannot stand here and tell you, the American people, with a straight face that we can support every massive expansion of our welfare programs and expect to stay solvent, because that's a blatant lie. Here are the facts: Over the past decade, the federal government has been getting increasingly large deficits. We're spending much more than we're taking in, and a large part of that is because of our welfare spending. President Nixon has been reckless in his spending, and it would pain me to see a Democrat follow him and be even worse on that. For that reason, new programs like universal healthcare just can't work right now.

This is a delicate issue, but as president, I would encourage the states to take a larger role in providing welfare in general. Meanwhile, the federal government is going to start meaning business. We'll be implementing new practices to ensure accountability in welfare recipients and making sure that the system isn't home to widespread fraud and abuse. More benefits will be capped over time so that we don't create a class of people perpetually living off of our taxpayer dollars. Other parts of my economic plan will reinvigorate our economy, like tax cuts for the poor and middle class, and investing in our nation's infrastructure. Above all else, though, we need some fiscal sanity again. Some of my opponents may use flowery language and tell you everything you want to hear, but for those who want to massively expand the welfare state at this point in time, at best they're not living in reality, and at worst they're lying to you to get your votes.

My choice for a running mate would ideally be someone who's broadly respected across the entire party, because what we need is unity heading out of that convention. They also have to be someone who recognizes that most people in America right now are being screwed over by Washington and that it's time for a bold change. I have great respect for someone like Ted Kennedy and I would love to see if he would accept such an offer. As for whether I would invite one of my opponents to the ticket, that's not something I'm thinking about as much, although some of them certainly have their good traits. Governor Wallace has plenty of passion and tenacity that I have seen from few others. Senator Harris knows how to speak to regular people unlike most stuffy politicians you see around. Nothing is settled yet and you never know what might happen in the months to come. However, our big goal should be to unite and come out stronger than ever in July so we can beat President Nixon in November.

Let's think about this for a moment, folks. After months of failed negotiations, an increasingly hostile North Vietnam retaliating, and nothing to show for our hyped efforts, do we really think that resuming these talks and continuing on as usual will do anything good? The answer: Hell no!

These good-for-nothing talks have only stalled the progress that we could have been making if the U.S. showed its commitment to battling communism, but the Nixon administration has instead only shown that they're woefully incompetent on this. Instead of conceding by pushing these talks, I'm going to drop the talks as president and focus on winning. Our entire Vietnam strategy is going to be rethought when I get in the White House. We'll commit more troops, choke off the North by the border, bomb them where it hurts most, and train the South to fend for themselves. Only then can we begin to see real results, not continue on with these fruitless exercises of diplomacy. With communists, there are no gray areas for them. They want to take over and kill you if you dissent. We cannot let a vile ideology like that spread across the entire globe. Either we fight and win, or we lose this battle.

Because conservative Democrats--and all Democrats, for that matter--know that I'm a fighter. I mean what I say and I'm not afraid to speak out for the truth. That means I've collected many enemies over time who want to undermine me, but throughout it all, I've stood tall and I've never given up. From the very beginning of this campaign, I was the one person out there speaking about the crime epidemic sweeping our cities, our failure to fight against communism, our fiscal irresponsibility, and the social decay of our communities. These are all issues that conservatives in both parties and millions of other hard-working Americans care about, and they need someone in the White House who will actually speak up for them. For far too long, these Americans have been ignored over and over, and they're fed up with the way things are. I can't blame them, frankly.

Not only do I speak for them, but I have also shown that I can win. Against all the odds and expectations, we beat the establishment favorite Senator Muskie in New Hampshire, and from there we've scored numerous victories in primaries and caucuses. We're the leader in delegates and we're competitive across the country. My opponents don't want to say it, but I can become the nominee of the Democratic Party. Governor Wallace is too extreme to be the nominee, and he would rather say false things about me than to run a decent campaign. Likewise, Senator Harris has deceived voters about his record, and he is just too cozy with the Washington establishment to truly be an outsider candidate. If you want someone who has integrity, who has a backbone, and who has the energy to run a winning campaign, then there is only one choice for you, and that's Sam Yorty.

Closing Statement:

You've seen plenty of talking here tonight. These men beside me want to claim your vote and become your next president. What will they actually do for you, though? Most of them have been in Washington long enough that they don't know what Middle America is feeling right now. What Middle America is feeling right now is pain, anger, regret, and fear. They don't feel like anyone in politics gives a damn about them, and they're right that most of them don't. They're looking for someone who does care, who will fight for them, and who is honest for a change. I want to be that voice for those men and women out there, because my entire career has been devoted to standing up for people like you. I fought the party bosses many times over the years and I never backed down from a good fight. With a new vision for the future, I turned Los Angeles into one of the great and most prosperous cities of the country. I'm beholden to no special interests, only the American people. I'll address the issues and tackle them head on. While my opponents have no solutions on Vietnam, crime, and the economy, I've got plans to win in Vietnam, stop the crime epidemic, and revive our economy. All it takes is some guts, and I've got guts. If you want to really shake up business as usual and elect a leader who will stand with you for once, then I'm your only choice for this election. Thank you all, and God bless this country.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2015, 11:56:46 PM »

Question for Fred Harris:

Back in February at the debate you were unapologetic about your support for busing. Last week you denied supporting busing and called it "an inefficient way to do things." Now in this debate, you're waffling all over the place and offering mixed support. If you can't stick to one position as a candidate, how can voters possibly trust you if you're President?

Question for George Wallace:

You say that you "fully support the capitalistic system," yet in that very same sentence you then reiterate your support for nationalization. Talk about consistency! You don't go around nationalizing industries under capitalism, so I think you're a little confused here. Which way is it, Governor?

Question for George McGovern:

You want the U.S. to withdraw from Vietnam and all around the world, but all that will do is leave a power vacuum for the Soviets to take advantage of. They will feel even more emboldened with someone like you in charge. How will you actually respond to communist aggression if you're in the White House?
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2015, 08:19:06 PM »

I prefer having two turns so momentum can be better picked up near the end. When we had a month-long turn before NH it made sense since we had no primaries to contest during that time, but a month chock-full of primaries/caucuses is a different story.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2015, 10:45:23 PM »

Response to Sam Yorty
"Sam, I don't think you know how to listen. I just made it clear as day. On a personal level, I support it. On a governmental level, as I have repeated just about every day on the trail, I think there are better ways to go about integrating. I denied being in favor of forced government integration, which was your accusation, because I've never supported forced government integration. My campaign's been about the people, and keeping with that is the consistent stance I've held on busing.You're lying. You know it, and America knows it too. How about you tell me why you have such a terrible record of supporting Democrats? You seem to like Nixon an awful lot."

Response to Fred Harris

Since Senator Harris wants to distract you from his flip-flopping, I'll get this out of the way quickly first. It's true that I haven't always supported Democrats in the past. Did I once support Nixon? Yes, I did, but we all know how much of a disaster he is now, so I regret that. What my record does show is a strong history of independence. Like I've said, I'm not beholden to one party or one person on everything. I've always been very open about my record and I've never lied about it.

Meanwhile, you're lying right in front of millions of Americans watching, Fred. During our last debate, you said that you "stand firmly behind the policy of busing"--AKA, forced government integration. You also said this: "If we allow our children to continue in de facto segregation without busing, how will we repair frayed race relations?" That has none of the nuance that you're talking about tonight. You've been shifting on this issue like seawater, and it should be clear after tonight that you're not for the people. You're just another politician. You should be ashamed of yourself.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2015, 02:45:03 PM »

"More lies. I stand personally behind busing. That's my personal opinion. You have yours and I have mine. You know what I mean. Nowhere did I say the government should force busing. You obviously didn't listen to my most recent speech, where I specifically said that the people should decide at the end of the day. I would prefer busing, but as I have said over and over, it's the peoples' choice and there needs to be more evidence. That's compatible with everything I have said and it's consistent. I apologize for not making my consistent stance clear enough in the first debate. It's been the same, but you, Sam, have mischaracterized my statements, lied, and doubled down on your race baiting. You ought to be ashamed of yourself. I'm not calling for the senseless continuation of a war which has taken thousands upon thousands of young American lives. How can you in good faith turn to their families and proclaim your support for the Vietnam war? It's inhumane and revolting. Mayor Yorty, you call for peace in the streets, but you turned to the people of LA and did nothing about the riots in your streets. You did nothing to stop the crime. You represent the lies, treachery, and opportunism of the professional political class. You've been a politician first and foremost for over 25 years, and you act like America was born yesterday. Cut it out with the lies. I'm no career politician. I fought, as a lawyer, for the people. I've been a lifelong populist Democrat and I'm damn proud of it."

Okay, then. If we're supposed to take what you just said at face value, then why did you say only a week or two ago that busing is inefficient and we shouldn't bother pushing it? Now you say that you're behind busing but it's up to the people. Again, more and more tweaking on this issue. You can't seem to take one consistent stance on this on the campaign trail, and I think that's telling. If you really do personally support busing, great! But don't pretend that you haven't been all over the place in public, because you're doing a poor job of covering it up. So, Fred, why should voters trust you as a person of integrity if you're President?

Also, you attack me for my support of the Vietnam War, but let's make it clear that I DON'T support how this war has gone on. There's absolutely no strategy to what they're doing now, so of course they'll lead to failure. I've made my plans for Vietnam clear, and I'm confident that we'll win within a year under a new direction. You just call for withdrawing and declaring no victory while Vietnam goes red and the Soviets are more emboldened. That's a foreign policy of defeatism, and the communists will only gain strength in the years to come because of your actions. Try to explain that to the American people if you're in the White House.

Finally, I stand behind my actions as mayor. Los Angeles grew tremendously during my time and it's now of the major cities of the country. You single me out for riots, but riots happened all across the country in the Sixties, and we diffused the situation before the city went into complete anarchy. We need to get tough on criminals, and that's what I'll do as President. You, Senator Harris, may think of yourself as a populist and an outsider, but your record says otherwise. You chaired the DNC, you were almost Hubert Humphrey's running mate four years ago, and you've settled in quite well to the cabal of insiders that we call the Senate. I haven't been in Washington for almost 20 years and I never looked back when I left. I've been outside the system doing good work in Los Angeles. You're just another Washington establishment candidate, and I trust that the voters will see through your act.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies