Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:18:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy) (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)  (Read 108446 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2015, 09:03:35 PM »

Yep. You see, I spent the past two days buried in textbooks as I prepared for a final exam on Early Medieval history (and god knows I'm traumatized with the amount of Germanic Kings and Roman/Byzantine Emperors to learn). I'm holding a valiant struggle now in an attempt to update, so it will be up soon.

Basil the Bulgar Slayer for the win

One of my personal favourites, but this course didn't get that far. We essentially covered from Diocletian to the Iconoclast controversy in the East and Charlemagne in the West.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2015, 09:18:33 PM »

NBC News Special, March 21st, 1972:

Chancellor: Evening, gentlemen, I'm John Chancellor live from Chicago, where the results of the Illinois Primary will be released in a few moments. As you know, the Republican side saw little excitement as the Goldwater and Nixon camps did not file in for this primary, but the Democratic one was nothing short of explosive in many ways. A Florida win and the endorsement of powerful Mayor Richard Daley would have secured Lindsay a landslide in a different year, yet his fellow candidates saw it otherwise. Illinois was flooded in ads and speeches, a free for all in which Senators Harris and McCarthy held a spirited duel as Senator Muskie and Mayor Yorty pulled every trick possible to bring Lindsay and each other down, featuring a strong campaign against the increasingly unpopular Daley. A lot of momentum swings were reported through the past week, leaving many to wonder if Lindsay will survive the harsh criticism his campaign has found in the state.

With that said, let's look at the GOP results first:

Republican IL Primary:

Uncommitted: 59.69% (68)
WI: Richard Nixon: 30.01% (34)
WI: Barry Goldwater Jr: 10.23%

Chancellor: No shocks there, as the Goldwater campaign did not wage a write-in campaign yet President Nixon did after giving some strong speeches in Chicago, delivering him a decent portion of delegates yet leaving the rest to sit as an uncommitted delegation. We saw earlier turnout reports suggesting Nixon to have an even better performance, yet voters mentioned a recent "bizarre" ad by the Nixon campaign to be a reason for them not voting for the President. Let us move now to the Democrats, as I believe we have major news:

Democratic IL Primary:

John Lindsay: 23.06% (55)
Fred Harris: 20.49% (47)
Ed Muskie: 20.25% (47)
George McGovern: 16.08% (31)
Sam Yorty: 10.36%
Eugene McCarthy: 6.55%
Mike Gravel: 3.21%

Chancellor: According to our reporting team, it seems Muskie, Yorty and Lindsay all weakened themselves one way or another by launching their respective ad attacks, which drove their leads way down as the Daley machine could not cope with the ads and the massive GOTV operations led by the rest of the field, disrupting Lindsay's well thought plans. As Ed Muskie continues to live to fight another day by retaining his delegate lead, the real winner of the night is Senator Fred Harris, who was widely thought to have won his public feud with Senator McCarthy to emerge along with fourth place winner George McGovern as the least damaged candidates. Mayor Yorty also had a decent performance, but with a late effort, a low floor and heavy attacks from the rest of the field he could not win delegates as he probably hoped. This leaves current delegate numbers as follows:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2015, 09:43:14 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2015, 09:46:38 PM by Lumine »

Turn Nine: Winnowed In:
March 22nd to April 4th, 1972

In the News!

ERA Amendment approved by the Senate:
84-8 vote sends new amendment to the states, debate to begin right away

Eisenstadt v. Baird ruling by the Supreme Court
SCOTUS rules that unmarried persons had the same rights to contraceptive products as married persons do

Stormont suspended, Heath and Whitelaw to rule Northern Ireland
Prime Minister Faulkner dismissed, William Whitelaw made Sec. of State for Northern Ireland

North Vietnam launches new offensive!
More than 30,000 troops to invade Quang Tri in North Vietnam, is South Vietnam in danger?

1.- Wisconsin Primary, SC, MN and MO Caucuses: This contest will get rid of that pesky one state result per turn, and this two week turn will involve the results of four different states, a grand bargain of more than 200 delegates for the Democrats and about a 120 for the GOP. Mind you, primaries are easier to deal with in terms of campaiging, whereas Caucuses are more depending on the quality of efforts you make.

2.- Massachusetts/Pennsylvania Deadline: All players interested in contesting Massachusetts and Pennsylvania (April 25), do feel free to file-in, because this is the sole turn to allow for it.

Primary Polling

Gallup: Republican Primary:

Richard Nixon: 65% (-5)
Barry Goldwater Jr: 27% (-1)
Undecided: 9% (+6)

On one hand, Richard Nixon has proved to be a better candidate in 68' and his ground game has proved to be rather decent, allowing him to even clinch Illinois delegates on a write-in bid. On the other hand, he shot himself in the foot by running an ad that voters found "off-putting", essentially equating Democrats with war and nuclear weapons and Republicans with money. The Goldwater campaign has not been able to seize on this, but the President's numbers take a huge hit in national terms as people begin to consider an alternative.

Gallup: Democratic Primary:

John Lindsay: 26% (-2)
Ed Muskie: 18%
Sam Yorty: 16% (-1)
George McGovern: 15% (+1)
Fred Harris: 12% (+4)
Eugene McCarthy: 7%
Mike Gravel: 3% (-3)
Undecided: 3%

Sure as Lindsay's rise was, it fell down as his victory in Illinois proved to be unimpressive following a good deal of attacks via ads. Yorty is also facing some minor losses nationally, while surging as a potential southern favourite, and Gravel campaign is in literal free fall after two bad results and a failure to find a proper launchpad. The winner, of course, is Fred Harris, who won an excellent result in his first primary to reach fifth place in the polls as he has not been as damaged as other options. Whether this scenario will hold after the upcoming caucuses and primaries... well, that has to be seen.

Random and Player Consecuence Events:

Yorty on the rise in the South:

Despite a less than favourable performance in Illinois, Mayor Yorty faces signs of hope in the growing number of Souther Democrats joining his campaign to protest economic and social issues, believing the rest of the candidates to fail to represent them (with the exception of Harris). This has led to a growing number of volunteers appearing for Yorty in South Carolina, and many more in later states like Alabama and Mississippi.

Harris has fundraising surge:

Heavy expenses in Illinois will most likely be covered by the Harris campaign, as many crucial donors from the Midwest have signed on to his campaign following a very convincing performance in the latest contest. Further financial support is obviously depending on more success in the primary season, but the news are welcome for the Oklahoma Senator's campaign.

Lindsay challenged on party afiliation:

Attacks on the Lindsay campaign by Senator Ed Muskie seem to have stuck despite Mayor Lindsay's best attempts to address it, as several voters question the loyalties of their frontrunner given his change of parties over last years (which many voters do not know about). While not a serious wound, this does raise a series of questions to be answered and solved, as quickly as possible.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2015, 09:47:55 PM »

Primary Candidate Data

Notoriety = N, Organization = O, Finance = F

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2015, 09:54:56 PM »

Early States, Tentative Polling:

Gallup: Republican Wisconsin Primary:

Richard Nixon: 54% (-2)
Barry Goldwater Jr: 40% (+3)
Undecided: 6% (-1)

Gallup: Minnesota Republican Caucus:

Richard Nixon: 68% (-3)
Barry Goldwater Jr: 20% (-1)
Undecided: 12% (+4)

Gallup: Missouri Republican Caucus:

Richard Nixon: 56% (+1)
Barry Goldwater Jr: 37% (-1)
Undecided: 7 %

Gallup: South Carolina Republican Caucus:

Richard Nixon: 47% (+3)
Barry Goldwater Jr: 46%
Undecided: 7% (-3)

Gallup: Democratic Missouri Caucus:

Fred Harris: 33% (+3)
Ed Muskie: 17% (-1)
Sam Yorty: 17% (+2)
John Lindsay: 11% (-1)
George McGovern: 8% (+1)
Eugene McCarthy: 4% (+1)
Mike Gravel: 3% (-2)

Gallup: Democratic Minnesota Caucus:

Eugene McCarthy: 36% (-1)
Ed Muskie: 15% (+1)
Fred Harris: 13% (+2)
John Lindsay: 10%
Mike Gravel: 8% (-2)
Sam Yorty: 5%
George McGovern: 4%
Undecided: 9%

Gallup: Democratic South Carolina Caucus:

Fred Harris: 21% (+2)
Sam Yorty: 20% (+2)
Uncommited: 19% (-2)
John Lindsay: 11% (+1)
George McGovern: 8%
Mike Gravel: 7% (-2)
Ed Muskie: 7%
Eugene McCarthy: 2%
Undecided: 5% (-1)

Gallup: Democratic Wisconsin Primary:

George McGovern: 33% (+5)
Fred Harris: 14% (+1)
Ed Muskie: 14% (-1)
John Lindsay: 13% (+1)
Eugene McCarthy: 11% (+4)
Sam Yorty: 9%
Undecided: 6% (-4)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2015, 10:02:45 PM »

Yay! I'm up in SC again. Smiley

Anyway, time for some heavy campaigning this week...

And a politically correct ad or two. Ech.

Don't take it the wrong way, Dar, it's one of those subtle handicaps I devised for some candidates. Richard Nixon will always be held to a rather large and unfair standard by the press...
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2015, 10:15:59 PM »

May we see polls for Massachusetts and Pennsylvania? Also, how many delegates are up for Missouri? Wikipedia doesn't seem to have information on all states.

Said polls would be rather experimental, but I can try. I did set up a list on the sign up thread on delegates:

Delegate Numbers:

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #82 on: September 04, 2015, 07:27:44 PM »

It will take a while, I'm utterly exhausted (especially in the emotional sense) over the end of my semester, and I will take a trip tomorrow for three or four days to clear my mind. The preliminar end of turn comes at Wednesday, Thursday at the latest, since I will have zero internet access.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2015, 01:08:17 PM »

I'm back! This should end tomorrow, Friday at the latest should there be a need for an extension.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2015, 02:40:40 PM »

Can you provide primary polls for other GOP primaries? If so, I'd like Kansas, Virginia, Alaska and Hawaii. Thanks! Smiley

Actually, I think next turn will be another one of two weeks, thus allowing us to have eight caucuses on the same turn: Kansas, Virginia, Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Utah. I'll have a set of polls released on that in a few minutes.

Also, this turn is extended until tomorrow.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2015, 03:17:10 PM »

Caucus Time, Tentative Polling:
(Caucus Polling can be unreliable by a few points)

Gallup: Republican Kansas Caucus:

Richard Nixon: 55%
Barry Goldwater Jr: 35%
Undecided: 10%

Gallup: Virginia Republican Caucus:

Richard Nixon: 49%
Barry Goldwater Jr: 39%
Undecided: 12%

Gallup: Alaska Republican Caucus:

Richard Nixon: 50%
Undecided: 15%

Gallup: Hawaii Republican Caucus:

Richard Nixon: 65%
Barry Goldwater Jr: 25%

Gallup: Idaho Republican Caucus:

Richard Nixon: 45%
Barry Goldwater Jr: 40%

Gallup: Montana Republican Caucus:

Barry Goldwater Jr: 43%
Undecided: 7%

Gallup: Wyoming Republican Caucus:

Richard Nixon: 45%
Barry Goldwater Jr: 42%
Undecided: 13%

Gallup: Utah Republican Caucus:

Barry Goldwater Jr: 50%
Richard Nixon: 40%

Gallup: Democratic Kansas Caucus:

Fred Harris: 30%
Ed Muskie: 20%
Sam Yorty: 15%
John Lindsay: 12%
George McGovern: 10%
Eugene McCarthy: 4%
Mike Gravel: 2%
Undecided: 7%

Gallup: Democratic Virginia Caucus:

Sam Yorty: 32%
Fred Harris: 17%
Ed Muskie: 16%
John Lindsay: 10%
George McGovern: 7%
Eugene McCarthy: 3%
Mike Gravel: 3%
Undecided: 12%

Gallup: Democratic Alaska Caucus:

Mike Gravel: 30%
George McGovern: 16%
John Lindsay: 14%
Ed Muskie: 10%
Eugene McCarthy: 9%
Sam Yorty: 7%
Fred Harris: 5%
Undecided: 9%

Gallup: Democratic Hawaii Caucus:

George McGovern: 26%
Eugene McCarthy: 22%
Mike Gravel: 10%
Ed Muskie: 7%
Fred Harris: 4%
Sam Yorty: 3%
Undecided: 16%

Gallup: Democratic Idaho Caucus:

Uncommitted: 20%
Sam Yorty: 18%
George McGovern: 17%
Ed Muskie: 12%
John Lindsay: 7%
Mike Gravel: 4%
Fred Harris: 3%

Gallup: Democratic Montana Caucus:

George McGovern: 25%
Sam Yorty: 22%
Ed Muskie: 17%
Eugene McCarthy: 8%
Fred Harris: 4%
Undecided: 8%

Gallup: Democratic Wyoming Caucus:

Sam Yorty: 26%
Ed Muskie: 18%
George McGovern: 16%
John Lindsay: 15%
Eugene McCarthy: 7%
Fred Harris: 6%
Undecided: 8%

Gallup: Democratic Utah Caucus:

Sam Yorty: 36%
Ed Muskie: 15%
George McGovern: 12%
Eugene McCarthy: 6%
Fred Harris: 5%
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2015, 06:13:06 PM »

Technically, yes, unless there's an extension request. I'm ready to move forward, but it's a bit pointless if most of the schedules aren't in.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2015, 08:37:05 PM »

Fine with me then, tomorrow is the last possible date, midnight forum time. Results for the South Carolina, Minnesota and Missouri and the Wisconsin Primary will be released then.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2015, 05:54:56 PM »

Huh. I'll accept it for game purposes and will have a special event done in a few minutes, but as a general rule from now on I would ask players to consult with me before killing off a character or withdrawing from the race due to sickness of anything of the sort. This end is a realistic one for Lindsay and I have no objectios, I just want to avoid a scenario in which too many presidential characters start dying.

That said, it's sad to see you go, Maxwell, you had a great run!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2015, 06:23:55 PM »

John Lindsay (1921-1972)

Tragedy struck the 1972 Campaign in a way no one had expected, as the frontrunner for the Democratic nomination, New York City Mayor John V. Lindsay perished yesterday on a plane crash as he flew towards Wisconsin to campaign in the upcoming primary. Witnesses and experts report that the plane crashed on the ground shortly after a take off due to an apparent failure in one of the engines, killing the Mayor, the pilot, and two members of his campaign staff. With his sudden death the position of New York City Mayor will be taken over by President of the City Council Sanford Garelik (D-NY), the post itself up for election in 1973.

After his change of party from Republican to Democrat back in 1971, Mayor Lindsay's brief campaign for the presidency saw enormous success in the wake of growing weaknesses from the Muskie campaign, allowing the Mayor to achieve a convincing win in the Arizona Caucus, a triumph in the Florida Primary and a not so convincing victory in the Illinois Primary. The favourite in the polls, many are already comparing his unfortunate demise to the death of Senator Robert Kennedy in the 1968 Presidential Campaign, as his death leaves about a quarter of democratic voters without their candidate, along with no less than 95 delegates that have pledged not to endorse any candidate before the Convention comes.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2015, 06:31:32 PM »

Ehhhh... I'll refrain from giving a funeral date, doesn't seem like an important detail to me. Turn ends tonight, so people have less than six hours for remaining schedules.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2015, 06:58:19 PM »

On what day did Lindsay die, or is that unspecified?

Unspecified, it makes no difference in gameplay terms. Lindsay will get votes in the coming results (at least in Wisconsin since it was a primary), but from next turn on he is not considered to be on the ballot even if he filed in.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2015, 10:17:15 PM »

Schedule is being created as we speak! Sorry for the delay, school has been a bear for me Sad!

No worries, I'll wait until the schedule is posted.

Apologies for the abrupt drop out Lumine.

Not at all, Maxwell, I'm just sad you couldn't continue playing, xD (I confess the idea of Lindsay doing better in 72' was a truly fascinating one)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2015, 12:16:39 AM »

Alright, time's up. Results will come soon.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2015, 01:05:58 AM »

ABC News Special, April 4th, 1972:

Smith: Howard K. Smith here from Milwaukee, reporting on the latest four contests in the Democratic and Republican primaries. With candidates and voters feeling a bit shellshocked following the abrupt demise of democratic frontrunner Mayor John Lindsay, the momentum has been changing by a lot on the past days, as attack ads and turnout machines have proved more relevant than ever. There's a lot of insight to be shared, but in the meantime let's take a look at the full GOP results:

Republican WI Primary:

Richard Nixon: 56.31% (19)
Barry Goldwater Jr: 43.69% (15)

Republican SC Caucus:

Richard Nixon: 52.46% (13)
Barry Goldwater Jr: 47.54% (12)

Republican MO Caucus:

Richard Nixon: 62.77% (25)
Barry Goldwater Jr: 37.23% (12)

Republican MN Caucus:

Richard Nixon: 80.01% (27)
Barry Goldwater Jr: 19.99% (7)

Smith: There were clear fears of a Goldwater victory in South Carolina and even Wisconsin, which would have put the President in major trouble going west. As it stands, it seems Goldwater has missed his best chance until the South votes in May to deliver a crippling blow to Nixon, as the President was widely percieved to have been in command this week with an energetic campaign and some rather effective efforts. Mr. Goldwater continues to perform rather well as a serious candidate and his delegate bloc gives him a lot of power even if he fails to overturn the Nixon bloc of delegates, but his campaign will need a heavy boost from the coming caucuses if he is to unseat the President from his throne. Now the Democrats:

Democratic WI Primary:

George McGovern: 32.08% (25)[/color]
Ed Muskie: 18.12% (14)
Fred Harris: 16.41% (12)
Sam Yorty: 15.39% (11)
Eugene McCarthy: 15.03% (10)
John Lindsay: 2.97%

Democratic MN Caucus:

Eugene McCarthy: 36.20% (30)
Ed Muskie: 21.03% (15)
Fred Harris: 18.05% (12)
Sam Yorty: 15.77% (10)
George McGovern: 6.89%
John Lindsay: 2.06%

Democratic MO Caucus:

Fred Harris: 38.19% (20)
Ed Muskie: 26.12% (13)
Sam Yorty: 25.30% (12)
George McGovern: 8.46%
John Lindsay: 1.93%

Democratic SC Caucus:

Sam Yorty: 32.76% (13)
Fred Harris: 21.76% (7)
Uncommitted: 21.58% (6)
George McGovern: 16.41% (5)
Ed Muskie: 4.12%
John Lindsay: 3.37%[/b]

Smith: These results are all over the board to be frank, McCarthy, Harris and Yorty finding success in the caucuses as McGovern scores the big prize in the high publicity Wisconsin Primary, a very needed boost for the South Dakota Senator. Lindsay voters scrambled to many different candidates, but it's safe to assume this means good news for most of the field for the time being. The South Carolina caucus was widely believed to be going on Harris direction on the last days, until he was badly hit by the exposure of his support for busing, a very unpopular decision with Southern voters which enabled Yorty to sail to victory even if the blow was blocked by a massively efficient Harris machine in Missouri. McCarthy also coasts as a favourite son on his state, but many wonder about the Senator's real message at this stage. Finally, this also comes as a relief to Senator Muskie in some ways, his levels of support outside the South gaining after Lindsay's demise. But it is for certain that the Senator will need to win states if his campaign is to survive at all.

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2015, 07:37:41 PM »

Statement from the Office of Congressman John G. Schmitz

Today Congressmen Schmitz, Scherele, Ashbrook, Stieger, Rarick and Rousselot and Senator Buckley all introduced in the House and Senate respectively introduced Articles of Impeachment against President Richard M. Nixon for failure to support the Constitution by not upholding the oath of office by supporting foreign enemies over our allies across the country and breaking federal law.

Not allowed and not acknowledged. I have recieved no request to use the signature of the previously mentioned members of Congress, nor would Articles of Impeachment against Nixon be realistic at this stage even by ultra conservatives.

Turn begins tonight.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2015, 11:48:45 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2015, 11:54:33 PM by Lumine »

Turn Ten: Caucus Extravaganza:
April 5th to April 17th, 1972

In the News!

Wallace suspends campaign
Following weeks of speculation, George Wallace suspends his campaign for President, will he re-enter before it’s too late?

War Powers Act approved by the Senate:
68-16 vote would reduce the power of the President to conduct war without congressional approval, it goes to the House

Biological Weapons Convention signed by USSR and US
Nixon, Podgorny signed convention in their respective capitals

Bombing Campaign in North Vietnam increases
In response to the ARVN attacks, US mass bombs Haiphong

1.- Caucus Extravaganza: Now this is where it starts to get tough. Eight states will announce their results at the end of this turn, Kansas, Virginia, Alaska and Hawaii set for April 11th, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Utah set for April 17th. This means that you have two weeks to contest these caucuses, which above all rely on good organization and good ground game, thus forcing you to be quite careful in choosing what to do and where to do so.

2.- Primary Deadline: A massive one as you need to qualify for most of the May Primaries. This turn you can file in for Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee, Nebraska, West Virginia and North Carolina.

3.- Wallace/Gravel: Senator Gravel has expressed that he will withdraw from the race soon, but he will still be treated as a candidate for game purposes until a speech is out. Wallace has also expressed he won’t be able to play, and thus I’ve suspended his campaign. He is a very crucial character, so if a new player wants him, he’s still available for a comeback.

Gallup: President Nixon's Approval Rating:

Approve: 53% (-3)
Disapprove: 36% (+4)
Undecided: 11% (-1)

Gallup: 1972 Presidential Election:

Richard M. Nixon: 43%
Generic Democrat: 40% (+2)
John G. Schmitz: 6% (+4)
Undecided: 10% (+4)

Primary Polling

Gallup: Republican Primary:

Richard Nixon: 70% (+5)
Barry Goldwater Jr: 26% (-1)
Undecided: 5% (-4)

While he hasn’t landed tough blows to cripple Goldwater’s public image, “Tricky Dick” asserts himself again as the clear favorite having won all contests so far, yet a crucial challenge appears for him as he tries to master the remaining caucuses and, of course, a South which is still wary of his performance. On the other hand, Goldwater is starting to slip in delegates, so winning states is a must for him lest his efforts collapse on a lack of success.

Gallup: Democratic Primary:

Ed Muskie: 22% (+4)
Sam Yorty: 22% (+6)
George McGovern: 20% (+5)
Fred Harris: 18% (+6)
Eugene McCarthy: 10% (+3)
Mike Gravel: 2% (-1)
Undecided: 6% (+3)

Sheer chaos. Not only the frontrunner has died, but four candidates won contests at the beginning of April, putting the race on a major confusion. Out of name recognition Muskie and Yorty fight off for the leadership of the race, and thus the upcoming caucuses, and, even more important, the Pennsylvania and Massachusetts Primaries will be decisive in creating a frontrunner. Harris and McGovern continue to surge as representatives of the populist wing and the anti-war wing, but Harris should be wary of a potential weakness of his, as Yorty cleverly used busing support to wound him in South Carolina.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2015, 11:56:21 PM »

Primary Candidate Data

Notoriety = N, Organization = O, Finance = F

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2015, 12:08:08 AM »

Early States, Tentative Polling:

Gallup: Republican Kansas Caucus:

Richard Nixon: 56% (+1)
Undecided: 8% (-1)

Gallup: Virginia Republican Caucus:

Richard Nixon: 50% (+1)
Barry Goldwater Jr: 40% (+1)
Undecided: 10% (-2)

Gallup: Alaska Republican Caucus:

Richard Nixon: 53% (+3)
Barry Goldwater Jr: 33% (-2)
Undecided: 11% (-1)

Gallup: Hawaii Republican Caucus:

Richard Nixon: 68% (+3)
Barry Goldwater Jr: 24% (-1)
Undecided: 8% (-2)

Gallup: Idaho Republican Caucus:

Richard Nixon: 46% (+1)
Barry Goldwater Jr: 41% (+1)
Undecided: 13% (-2)

Gallup: Montana Republican Caucus:

Barry Goldwater Jr: 44% (+1)
Undecided: 6% 8-1)

Gallup: Wyoming Republican Caucus:

Richard Nixon: 46% (+1)
Barry Goldwater Jr: 41% (-1)
Undecided: 13%

Gallup: Utah Republican Caucus:

Barry Goldwater Jr: 49% (-1)
Richard Nixon: 44% (+4)

Gallup: Democratic Kansas Caucus:

Fred Harris: 36% (+6)
Sam Yorty: 22% (+7)
Ed Muskie: 19% (-1)
George McGovern: 11% (+1)
Eugene McCarthy: 5% (+1)
Mike Gravel: 2%
Undecided: 5% (-2)

Gallup: Democratic Virginia Caucus:

Sam Yorty: 35% (+3)
Fred Harris: 22% (+5)
Ed Muskie: 18% (+2)
George McGovern: 9% (+2)
Eugene McCarthy: 4% (+1)
Mike Gravel: 3%
Undecided: 9% (-3)

Gallup: Democratic Alaska Caucus:

Mike Gravel: 24% (-6)
George McGovern: 19% (+3)
Ed Muskie: 17% (+7)
Eugene McCarthy: 16% (+7)
Sam Yorty: 8% (+1)
Fred Harris: 6% (+1)
Undecided: 10% (+1)

Gallup: Democratic Hawaii Caucus:

George McGovern: 31 (+5)%
Eugene McCarthy: 26% (+4)
Ed Muskie: 13% (+6)
Mike Gravel: 7%
Fred Harris: 6% (+2)
Sam Yorty: 4% (+1)
Undecided: 13% (-3)

Gallup: Democratic Idaho Caucus:

Uncommitted: 24% (+4)
Sam Yorty: 20% (+2)
George McGovern: 18% (+1)
Ed Muskie: 13% (+1)
Fred Harris: 4% (+1)
Undecided: 13% (-2)

Gallup: Democratic Montana Caucus:

George McGovern: 27% (+2)
Sam Yorty: 23% (+1)
Ed Muskie: 19% (+2)
Eugene McCarthy: 10% (+2)
Fred Harris: 7% (+3)
Undecided: 10% (+2)

Gallup: Democratic Wyoming Caucus:

Sam Yorty: 29% (+3)
Ed Muskie: 22% (+4)
George McGovern: 19% (+3)
Fred Harris: 10% (+4)
Eugene McCarthy: 8% (+1)
Mike Gravel: 3% (-1)
Undecided: 10% (+2)

Gallup: Democratic Utah Caucus:

Sam Yorty: 39% (+3)
Ed Muskie: 17% (+2)
George McGovern: 14% (+2)
Eugene McCarthy: 7% (+1)
Fred Harris: 7% (+2)
Undecided: 12% (+2)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2015, 10:18:32 PM »

You have until Sunday night, last possible date.

If I can I'll take on George Wallace, is he only for the general election, or can he also enter the primaries?

Both, actually. You can enter the primaries (these are open until April ends) if you wish, just like you can enter the general election too. If you enter the GE, it will be Wallace reentering after suspending his campaign, which means he won't be as initially strong as he was before withdrawing.

But there's plenty of time to win back that support and go even further!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies