Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:44:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy) (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)  (Read 108276 times)
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2015, 10:49:36 PM »
« edited: October 28, 2015, 11:16:38 PM by YPestis25 »

Oh dear!

I do hope you get better soon Lumine; my thoughts are with you. Feel no rush to update the timeline, your health is the first priority.

Ed Muskie Nomination Acceptance Speech

Thank you! Thank you all very much! Mr. Chairman, delegates, I accept your nomination for the Presidency of the United States! These past few days there has been a level of name calling and insinuation almost unprecedented in the history of this great party. Honorable men, men I deeply respect, men who would make some of the finest commanders in chief in this party, have been slandered. Faithful husbands, and fathers, and sons have had their motives questions and their patriotism called into doubt. It is past time that we put aside these vile insults, and unite to continue the legacy of Roosevelt and Truman, and of Kennedy and Johnson.

This November, each and everyone of you, Democrat and Republican, northerner and southerner, black and white, have a choice. We can either look forward to a brighter future, one where each American has a fair shake, one where we can set aside our differences and unite to build a better America for our children and our grandchildren, and not be bogged down in the petty disputes of yesterday. A future I which government is the servant of the people and not the master. A future in which that horrid quagmire in Southeast Asia is brought to a swift end. A future in which every American can look up, and in the words of Lincoln say that we are, “the last, best, hope of mankind.”

We must all stand firm in the defense of the New Deal, and the Great Society. These are the cornerstones of the American dream, and we cannot let them be torn down by a party which is becoming more and more reactionary by the day. Your access to quality healthcare and education should not vary based upon where you live. Students in Bismark should have the same opportunities are children in Atlanta. Patients in San Antonio should have the access to the same care as patients in Seattle.

And while we have won the battle for civil rights, we can never waver in the support of the bills which finally began to resolve one of the great stains upon American history. We must be ever vigilant for a relapse into the discriminatory practices, be they de jure or de facto, which have plagued all corners of this nation.

We have a challenge ahead of us this November, but together we can overcome it. Together we can take back the White House, but all across this nation we will need your help. Go out and vote, go out and bring new folks into our political process, go out and participate, and we will put the Oval Office back in Democratic hands this November. And now, let me present to you the next Vice-President of the United States, Senator Birch Bayh!
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2015, 05:16:17 PM »

Good to have you back Lumine. As Spiral said, take as much time as you need.
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2016, 01:52:51 AM »

Great work Lumine! I'm really glad to have this back. The Muskie/Bayh ticket has just a little bit of work to do.
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2016, 08:19:52 PM »

Could we get an extension to tomorrow?
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2016, 06:32:25 PM »

Muskie/Bayh for America Turn I

September 1st
Meet and greet in Spokane, WA.
Rally in Seattle, WA.
Rally in Portland, OR.
"These past four years we have seen the progress of Roosevelt, and Truman, and Kennedy undone, by a man that fancies himself a moderate. Tell me, what moderate would choose Sam Yorty as his running mate? What moderate would continue our destructive policies in Southeast Asia? Richard Nixon should call himself what he is, a reactionary."

September 2nd
Meet with civic leaders in Salem, OR.
Town hall in Coos Bay, OR.
Town hall in Brookings, OR.
"You know what really surprised me about Sam Yorty signing onto the Republican ticket? He'd campaigned to replace the President for the past four months! It's mind boggling to me. I mean, which Sam Yorty are we going to get in the White House? Democrat or Republican?"

September 3rd
Fly to Pittsburg, PA.
Town hall in New Kensington, PA.
Town hall in Hunker, PA.
Rally in Pittsburg, PA.
"We must have a President who will stand up for the working people of this country, not one who turns them against each other. We must have a President who builds on the legacy of Roosevelt, and not tear it down, and Nixon is not that President."

September 4th
Meet with state leaders in Harrisburg, PA.
Town hall in Allentown, PA.
Town hall in Oxford, PA.
Rally in Philadelphia, PA.
"It's well past time that the right to healthcare is guaranteed to every American, rich and poor. We cannot rest until every child can get to the doctor. We cannot rest until every hardworking American no longer has to choose between their own financial well being and going to the doctor."

September 5th
Town hall in Jersey City, NJ.
Rally in Atlantic City, NJ.
Rally in Trenton, NJ.

September 6th
Town hall in Flint, MI.
Town hall in Ann Arbor, MI.
Meet with union officials in Detroit, MI.
Rally in Detroit, MI.
"Don't be fooled by Nixon's pick of Yorty as his running mate, given the chance they would turn on the unions faster than I can say strike. As a tried and true Democrat I will always protect our hardworking union members while in office."

September 7th
Meet with state leaders in Springfield, IL.
Town hall in Springfield, IL.
Rally in Chicago, IL.
Fundraiser in Chicago, IL.

YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2016, 11:02:42 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2016, 11:04:15 PM by YPestis25 »

Muskie/Bayh Advertisement

"Do you want proven leadership?"

"Do you want to choose a ticket that is better than just the lesser of two evils?"

"Then vote for the principled choice this fall. Vote for Muskie/Bayh."

To run in:

YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2016, 11:07:41 PM »

Press Release from Muskie/Bayh Campaign

We are proud to announce the opening of five new campaign offices in the Northeast, and three in the Midwest.

Two of our new offices will be located in Pennsylvania, one each in Philadelphia and Pittsburg. A third will be located in New York City. The last two will be placed in Baltimore, Maryland and Atlantic City, New Jersey.

Of our three offices in the Midwest, one will be placed in Chicago. Another will be placed in Detroit, and out last will be opened in St. Louis.

Our campaign hopes to expand these offices throughout the country over the coming weeks.
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2016, 11:27:28 PM »

Muskie/Bayh Campaign Rolls out Newspaper Endorsement

From the New York Times:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

From the Washington Post:

YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2016, 11:36:59 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2016, 11:39:29 PM by YPestis25 »

Muskie/Bayh Ad

"We need a man in the Vice-President's Office who has convictions"

"Not a man who's political convictions which can change as quickly as a ping pong game."
"He's the only Vice-Presidential candidate who is prepared to lead with principle and conviction on day one."
To run in:
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2016, 11:22:33 PM »

Muskie/Bayh For America Turn II
September 8th
Barnstorm in Yonkers, NY.
Barnstorm in Newark, NJ.
Rally in New York City.
"Are you ready for four more years of Nixon? I'm not! We need to return to the principles of Roosevelt, and John Kennedy, and Robert Kennedy! This isn't a time for conservatives, and reactionaries, it is a time for real change in America!"

September 9th
Barnstorm in Dover, DE.
Barnstorm in Chester, PA.
Barnstorm in Kennett Square, PA.
Rally in Gettysburg, PA.
"Over a century ago, President Lincoln gave us his Gettysburg address. He was an example all Republicans could strive to be. What happened to the party of Lincoln? Would Lincoln have stooped to the level of choosing Sam Yorty to be on his ticket in order to win an election? I think not."

September 10th
Barnstorm in Manchester, NH.
Barnstorm in Concord, NH.
Night rally in Burlington, VT. (These are a bit farther apart, so if the Burlington this is a problem, I'll definitely change it Lumine.)
"Imagine for a moment Sam Yorty in the Oval Office. The Civil Rights Act? Gone. The War in Vietnam? Well, let's just say it wouldn't just be the War in Vietnam any more. Our position on the world stage? In shambles. Sam Yorty is not prepared to be Vice President of the United States, much less President."

September 11th
Meet with civic leaders in Austin, TX.
Barnstorm in Austin, TX.
Barnstorm in Dallas, TX.
Rally in Houston, TX.
"It is time to ensure that our rural citizens have the same access to healthcare as our urban ones. It is shameful that in the greatest country on Earth one's life could be put at risk based on where they live."

September 12th
Barnstorm in Seattle, WA.
Meet with state leaders in Olympia, WA.
Rally in Olympia, WA.
"Under a President Muskie, we would truly have peace with honor in Southeast Asia. It is time American boys stop dying in a country we have no business being in."

September 13th
Barnstorm in Tacoma, WA.
Barnstorm in Yakima, WA.
Rally in Spokane, WA.

September 14th
Barnstorm in Beaverton, OR.
Barnstorm in Hillsboro, OR.
Barnstorm in St. Helens, OR.
Barnstorm in Astoria, OR.

September 15th
Barnstorm in Gresham, OR.
Barnstorm in Wilsonville, OR.
Rally in Portland, OR.
"Americans are tired of Nixonian politics. Americans are tired of Nixonian policies. It's time for a change America. It's time for a change from the dirty politics of the last four years. It's time for a change from the race baiting of Sam Yorty. Don't you agree?"
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2016, 11:53:56 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2016, 11:55:42 PM by YPestis25 »

Muskie/Bayh Surrogates
George McGovern
September 8th: Campaign in Milwaukee and Green Bay, WI.
September 11th: Campaign in Seattle WA, and Portland, OR.
September 15th: Rally in college students in Des Moines and Cedar Rapids, IA.
"We need a President who will end the disaster in Southeast Asia, and that is why I am supporting Senator Muskie."

Hubert Humphrey
September 9th: Rally in Chicago, IL.
September 12th: Campaign in Detroit and Flint, MI.
September 14th: Rally in St. Louis, MO.
"Richard Nixon has done absolutely nothing for the working man in this country. We need a President who will defend our unions, and Ed Muskie is the only candidate who will do that."

Ted Kennedy
September 10th: Rally in Albany, NY.
September 13th: Rally and barnstorming in Philadelphia, PA.
September 15th: Barnstorm in Nashua and Salem, NH.
"Ed Muskie is the only candidate for President who can continue my brother's legacy. It's time to put an end to the Nixonian era of politics, and that is why I support Senator Muskie for President."
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2016, 12:13:18 AM »

Muskie/Bayh Press Release

We are happy to announce the opening of 6 new campaign offices. Two in Texas, and four elsewhere.

The two offices in Texas will be located in Dallas and Houston.

The four remaining offices will be located in Des Moines, IA, Seattle, WA, Portland, OR, and Indianapolis, IN.

YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2016, 10:34:42 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2016, 11:39:10 PM by YPestis25 »

Muskie Debate Performance

Thank you for hosting this event tonight.  This debate is a wonderful opportunity for us to discuss the critical issues facing our country.  This election represents a stark choice. We have the opportunity to build on the tremendous progress of the past four decades, or we can instead stand idly by and watch it be slowly worn away. We need to expand our crucial social programs and ensure that every person in this country has an equal opportunity to rise to his or her potential – this is within our grasp.  My opponents promote policies that would make Herbert Hoover blush.  I look forward to a substantive debate tonight that helps elucidate the importance differences between us."

"The war in Vietnam must be brought to a responsible end in an expeditious fashion.  For the past four years, President Nixon has promised the American people peace with honor.  But what have we gotten? Four more years of war and thousands of senseless deaths of our sons and civilians.  I promise to withdraw our troops from the frontlines within 100 days of taking office, and to progressively withdraw our troops to preserve the safety of our troops without destabilizing the area.   Too many American sons have risked their lives – have lost their lives – fighting for their country in a far-distant country.  It is time to end the war and I promise to do so safely and responsibly."

"Every American has the right to healthcare. Access to life saving care should never be determined by where you live, what your income is, what your race or gender is . . . .it should be guaranteed for all Americans.  It is unfathomable that in this great nation of ours, millions of our friends and neighbors are uninsured.  As President I will work to establish a national healthcare insurance system that covers every American.  I will ensure that all Americans have access to health care – including the most vulnerable among us such as children, older Americans, the elderly, and the poor.  As President, I will also allocate new federal funds toward the construction of 50 new health clinics for one of our hardest hit areas - rural America."

"I have – and still do – support busing.  But I am very aware that it's not perfect.  There are imperfections – things that we need to try to rectify – but it remains our likely best options.  In order to begin to erase the stain of segregation from our nation, we must ensure that children, black and white, are not bound by geographic segregation – that they have equal opportunity for quality education, that they have the opportunity to see each other as friends and quality.  0nly once this barrier is broken down will we see the breaking down of misconceptions and racial prejudices."

“Senator Bayh and I do in fact have specific policy proposals. We would end the war;  we would ensure health care for all Americans;  we would continue to expand civil rights;  we would expand our safety net social programs, and so much more.  A Muskie administration would represent a return to the policies that have worked for close to half a century. It would be based on the policies and politics of Democratic luminaries such as Roosevelt, Kennedy and Truman. We would govern responsibly, and respectably, returning honor to the Oval Office."

"Thank you for a great debate. This has been a great opportunity to articulate the substantive differences between President Nixon, Congressman Schmitz and myself. We would end the war;  we would ensure health care for all Americans;  we would continue to expand civil rights;  we would expand our safety net social programs.  I look forward to two more months of campaigning, and wish other candidates good luck.  I hope the voters have learned more about what a Muskie administration would offer to them and would offer America.  I ask for your support, I ask for your vote.  Thank you, and goodnight."

YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2016, 10:39:24 PM »

Question I
  Great question, as the only person on this stage toward that served in the military and is a member of the Marine Corps Reserve, this issue is personal. There's a reason, I have been endorsed by General after General and soldier after soldier. It's because, I get what you are feeling everyday wondering if your son, or husband or father will come home alive. I have felt that feeling my entire life. My plan in Vietnam is simple though, we are going to fight that war until every one of those Commies over there is dead. I say that because we have lost over 50,000 of our boys over there and for what we are still in the same situation we were in twenty years ago. We have to make their dying, worth something. Our mission was to defeat the Communists in Vietnam, we failed in Korea, do we want another Korea in Vietnam or do we want a free Vietnam. My plan is simple we aren't going to deploy hundreds of thousands of our boys. We are going to make our allies work. We are going to end relations with the PROC, who are backing up North Vietnam and instead recognize our ally Taiwan. My goal is simple we are going to win this war by 1976 and we are going to make sure that every single communist or communist sympathizer is dead or waiting to be hanged.

"Could I respond to this? Now Congressman Schmitz, I'm sorry, but both President Nixon and myself served with our armed forces, and for you to say otherwise is frankly ridiculous. And, for you to use your military service as a shield for sending more of our brave boys to die across the Pacific is mind-boggling. You claim that ending the war by 1976 is an accomplishment. How many Americans will have to die for your plan to succeed? Do you have a figure, or do you realize that releasing it would so shock the American people as to effectively end you campaign here and now?"
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2016, 12:18:10 AM »

Sad to see you go Darth. You were a great Nixon.
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2016, 08:06:59 PM »

This is getting suspended for the time being (not for long, I hope).

Darththebearnc (Nixon) has informed me that he will have to drop out, and after consulting with him and Spiral they've decided to ask ClassicConservative to see if he wishes to play Nixon instead of Schmitz. If he does, then we will see whether we carry on as normal or whether some changes can be made, if he doesn't, then we'll try a different road.
I might drop a class next week, which would give me oodles of free time to take on Nixon. If CC doesn't want to drop Schmitz, I'd be happy to step back into the role. I'm not sure if I'll be able to immediately, though.

It would be great to have you back, certainly!

Spiral, CC, NeverAgain and YPestis: It's up to you whether we wait a week or have Spiral take over Nixon's schedule to end this particular turn and then have ChairmanSanchez join at the next one. Do let me know of what you think as soon as possible.
I am fine with it.
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2016, 10:58:53 PM »

Could we get a couple extra minutes to run some ads? Sorry, I'd been away from my computer for most of the day and forgot to check this.
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2016, 11:03:48 PM »

Could we get a couple extra minutes to run some ads? Sorry, I'd been away from my computer for most of the day and forgot to check this.

Sure, there's no way I could post the results as I'm working on the other game as well, so an extra hour is available (no more).

Thank you!
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2016, 11:12:52 PM »

Muskie Ad: An End to Corruption, Crooks, and Cambodia
Four years ago we were promised peace with honor.

Four years ago we were promised an end to the petty politics and corruption of Washington. What did we get?

Four more years in Vietnam and four more years of corrupt politics. Vote Muskie/Bayh this November.

To run in:
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2016, 11:40:01 PM »

An Economy Which Works for Everyone

When Dick Nixon took office, our economy was growing like never before.

And every family was moving ahead.

Now, our factories are empty, and our economy still isn't growing at the same rate as 1968.

It's time to get an economy that works for everyone. Vote Muskie/Bayh this November.

To run in:
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2016, 05:36:43 PM »

Great work Lumine!
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2016, 09:58:49 PM »

Muskie Schedule

September 16th
Rally at Northwestern University, IL.
Barnstorm in Cicero, IL.
Barnstorm in Arlington Heights, IL.
Rally in Chicago, IL.
"It is time to the end the war in Vietnam. We were promised Nixon's "secret plan for peace" for years ago. Where is it? I'm sure we'd all be dying to know."

September 17th
Barnstorm in East St. Louis, IL.
Barnstorm in Belleville, IL.
Barnstorm in Effington, IL.
Rally at Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL.
"Time and time again Nixon promises to get us out of Vietnam, and every day, every month, that promise is broken."

September 18th
Barnstorm in Warren, MI.
Barnstorm in Livonia, MI.
Barnstorm in Deerborne, MI.
Rally in Detroit, MI.
"I get it, I really do. Sam Yorty is an appealing choice. But tell me, where was he when Kennedy ran? Endorsing Nixon. Where was he during the primary? To the right of Nixon. And where is he now? With Nixon. We need a candidate who stands with the working man unequivocally, not one who changes their stance with the wind."

September 19th
Barnstorm in West Bend, WI.
Barnstorm in Beaver Dam, WI.
Barnstorm in Waupun, WI.
Barnstorm in Portage, WI.
"We need to ensure that every one of our citizens, especially our rural ones, have access to quality healthcare. It should be the goal of every nation to guarantee that someone's right to healthcare will not be dictated by where they live."

September 20th
Rally in Dover, DE.
Barnstorm in Jersey City, NJ.
Barnstorm in Atlantic City, NJ.
Rally in Trenton, NJ.
"What have we gotten under President Nixon? Four years of slower growth. Four years of war. Four years of unrest and division. It's time for a democrat to come back into office."

September 21st
Rally in Seattle, WA.
Barnstorm in Portland, OR.
Barnstorm in Springfield, OR.
Rally in Coos Bay, OR.
"Look, we still have a long way to go, but in just a few weeks, we've turned this from a blowout into a real contest. Let's take this fight to the White House!"

September 22nd
Barnstorm in Burlington, VT.
Barnstorm in Nashua, NH.
Rally in Manchester, NH.
"We have a chance to turn around the political environment of the country. We can put an end to the corruption, and to the crime of the past four years, but we can only do this together."
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2016, 10:12:50 PM »

Muskie/Bayh Ad 1: A Return to Normalcy

It's time for a return to normalcy.

For the pasty four years we've scene economic stagnation.

And an unprecedented level of division.

Let's get back to normal. Vote Muskie/Bayh this November.

To run in:
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2016, 10:22:39 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2016, 10:24:13 PM by YPestis25 »

Muskie/Bayh Ad 2: Muskiementum

We've come a long way since New Hampshire.

"But we've still got a long way to go.

Join us, and let's put a Democrat back in the White House. Vote Muskie/Bayh this November.

To run in:
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2016, 11:24:20 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2016, 11:25:54 PM by YPestis25 »

Muskie/Bayh Surrogates

Ted Kennedy
"We need to stand up for the working people of this country, not turn our backs on them!
September 18th-Rally in Chicago, IL
September 21st-Rally in Harrisburg, PA
September 22nd-Rally in Philadelphia, PA

George McGovern
"Where is this secret peace plan of Nixon's? I'm dying to hear it."
September 16th-Rally at Drake University, IA
September 19th-Rally at Marquette University, WI
September 20th-Rally at University of Wisconsin, WI

Hubert Humphrey
"We need a friend of the unions in the White House, not one of their staunchest opponents."
September 17th-Rally in Detroit, MI
September 18th-Rally in Flint, MI
September 20th-Rally in Pittsburg, PA.

Fred Harris
"Look, Senator Muskie and I may have campaigned against each other this spring, but I believe he is the only qualified candidate this November."
September 18th-Rally in Kansas City, MO.
September 19th-Rally in St. Louis, MO.
September 21st-Rally in Louisville, KY.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies