Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:22:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy) (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)  (Read 107465 times)
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2015, 11:50:07 PM »

Sam Yorty GOTV Strategy: Illinois

Coming right off a near-victory in Florida, where his strength was very underestimated at first, the Yorty campaign is moving ahead and devoting resources to bringing out the vote in Illinois. Like Florida, the campaign believes that the current polls are significantly underestimating Yorty's real support in the state due to the large number of blue collar and ethnic voters present, natural bases of support for Mayor Yorty. For this reason, the campaign sees a very real chance of a strong enough performance to win delegates. With the statewide effort being spearheaded by former Governor Otto Kerner, Jr., the following actions are being taken:

-Targeting undecided voters, highlighting Yorty’s independent streak and willingness to “speak the truth” on law and order along with other issues
-Targeting blue collar voters in urban and suburban areas, highlighting the economy, labor issues, law and order, and Vietnam
-Targeting ethnic voters statewide, highlighting the economy, labor issues, law and order, and Vietnam
-Targeting white collar voters in urban areas, highlighting the economy, education, and law and order
-Targeting low-income voters across the state (especially in rural areas), highlighting the economy, education, and healthcare
-Targeting union members across the state, highlighting labor, the economy, education, and healthcare
-Targeting disaffected Democrats across the state who normally don't vote
-Persuading Lindsay supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Lindsay for his performance as NYC Mayor and highlighting similarities on other issues such as crime
-Persuading Muskie supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Muskie as "just another politician" and showcasing Yorty as a similar moderate Democrat
-Persuading Harris supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Harris for his extreme anti-war views on Vietnam and pointing to Yorty as the more "genuine" champion of issues such as labor, education, healthcare, etc.

Most of the attacks launched from the Yorty camp have been directed towards Lindsay and Muskie, though Harris is also acknowledged as someone who is competing for some of the same votes. The campaign has also sought to appeal to anti-Daley voters agitated over the Chicago machine by highlighting Yorty's independent nature throughout the entire campaign. Governor Kerner, leading the charge out of the Illinois surrogates, has been rallying voters across the state to turn out for Yorty, especially in the Chicago area, where Yorty is able to do quite well with enough effort in bringing out votes.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2015, 11:56:19 PM »

James F. Byrnes: Barnstorming in SC
William Loeb: Barnstorming and GOTV in IL
W. Haydon Burns: Barnstorming and GOTV in IL
Otto Kerner, Jr.: Barnstorming and GOTV in IL
John W. King: Barnstorming and GOTV in IL
Ross Perot: Fundraising in TX
Happy Chandler: Barnstorming in SC
Robert Byrd: Barnstorming in SC
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2015, 10:12:46 PM »

May we see polls for Massachusetts and Pennsylvania? Also, how many delegates are up for Missouri? Wikipedia doesn't seem to have information on all states.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2015, 10:27:47 PM »

I checked the sign-up/rules thread before asking and I only saw a primary schedule with the dates included. Thanks, though!
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2015, 09:03:23 PM »

Fine with me then, tomorrow is the last possible date, midnight forum time. Results for the South Carolina, Minnesota and Missouri and the Wisconsin Primary will be released then.

Thank goodness! My recent exams have almost killed me. Tongue
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2015, 07:19:30 PM »

Sam Yorty Statement on the Death of John Lindsay

Having met John Lindsay, I know that he was fundamentally a good man. He devoted his life to public service and did his best to better other people's lives. Even though Mayor Lindsay and I shared a number of disagreements on issues, that didn't cloud my vision of him as being genuine in his beliefs and passionate about improving the country. It is a tragedy that a life like his was cut so shortly, and we are all worse off without his voice. I extend my condolences to Mayor Lindsay's friends and family and wish all the best for them in these difficult times. He will be missed.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2015, 10:45:46 PM »

Sam Yorty Campaign Schedule: March 22-April 4

March 22
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Clemson, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Greer, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Conway, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Hanahan, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Aiken, SC

I'm with you, South Carolina. All the other candidates on the campaign trail may say some pretty words to woo you and get their votes, but don't let them fool you. When you just scratch the surface, you'll see that they're all the same politicians as we've seen before. I am the only candidate running who truly represents Southern values. Like you, I understand the importance of a strong national defense. I understand that we need order at home, too--something that my opponents don't seem to get. I also understand that we need to be careful about how we handle our resources, and we can't risk social change too quickly as some experiment. If you believe in my message, then I'm your only choice this year, South Carolina.

March 23
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Lexington, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Bluffton, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Anderson, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in St. Andrews, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Five Forks, SC

We need a sane economic policy for once. The policies that President Nixon have pushed for have added more grief and less relief. What we need are solutions that do just the opposite! The reckless spending under Nixon's adminstration has added more debt that future generations must pay for. A Yorty administration will control spending and keep us in solvency. Instead of rampant inflation and price controls that worsen the problem, we will find new solutions to control inflation and keep our economy stable. This will happen, but only if we have new leadership in the White House.

March 24
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Parker, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Fort Mill, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Dentsville, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Florence, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Spartanburg, SC

This ERA nonsense just baffles me. Doesn't it do that to you as well? They say that women don't get the equality that they deserve, and that the law doesn't protect them like they do men. Maybe they should check the Constitution once in a while. Our 14th Amendment already guarantees what they claim to want: equality under the law. What more do they want? Folks, I'm a lawyer, so I think I know a little bit about this subject. Here's what I think about the ERA: These feminists should go back to burning bras instead of pretending to be legal scholars!

March 25
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Greenville, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Mount Pleasant, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in North Charleston, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Charleston, SC
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Columbia, SC

March 26
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Wildwood, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Raytown, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Wentzville, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Jefferson City, MO
-Fundraiser in St. Louis, MO

The rise of birth control concerns me, and it should you. By promoting contraception, we are abdicating our responsibilities and telling our kids that whatever they do will have no consequences. A society that does that will soon go into decline. Now that unmarried couples have the same access to birth control as married couples, we will see more and more immoral behavior in the years to come. The Supreme Court made the wrong decision here, and as President, I will do what I can to encourage morals in government.

March 27
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Hazelwood, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Joplin, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Chesterfield, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Florissant, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Maryland Heights, MO

March 28
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Blue Springs, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in St. Peters, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in St. Charles, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Lee's Summit, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Columbia, MO

This new offensive by North Vietnam shows that the fight in that region is not over, and any attempt to skirt the issue will lead to more lost lives and the further spread of communism. While our President is occupied on fruitless peace talks, he's ignoring our troops who are ready to mobilize. Instead, they're not being used to their fullest potential, and we've got the best soldiers in the world! We've got to set a new strategy for Vietnam: one that will tackle the North head on and constrict them at their weakest points. All of the other Democrats are calling for withdrawal when the latest news shows the importance of actually finishing this battle. Allow me the opportunity to become President and win in Vietnam once and for all.

March 29
-Barnstorming and GOTV in St. Joseph, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Independence, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Springfield, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in St. Louis, MO
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Kansas City, MO

March 30
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Duluth City, MN
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Bloomington, MN
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Rochester City, MN
-Barnstorming and GOTV in St. Paul, MN
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Minneapolis, MN

Say what you want about me, but you know where I stand. I can't be bought out because I truly am my own man. While all of my opponents spout the same generic talking points and slavishly devote themselves to the national Democratic Party, I've charted my own path and have gotten the respect of many along the way. People say that Minnesota is McCarthy territory and there's no reason to compete here, but I know Minnesotans have the same independent spirit as me. Tonight, I want you all to show the nation that we can keep on surprising the political establishment. Will you stand with me, Minnesota?

March 31
-Town Hall in Liberal, KS
-Town Hall in El Dorado, KS
-Roundtable Discussion (Economy) in Lawrence, KS
-Rally and Voter Registration in Topeka, KS
-Fundraiser in Wichita, KS

April 1
-Town Hall in Lake Ridge, VA
-Town Hall in Lynchburg, VA
-Rally and Voter Registration in Hampton, VA
-Rally and Voter Registration in Portsmouth, VA
-Fundraiser in Virginia Beach, VA

The reckless busing policies that Washington is pursuing will damage the education of children here in Virginia and across the country. If you really want to pursue equality, then you need to change minds and hearts, not ram it down the throats of ordinary Americans. They're mad, and I am too. When I get in the White House, we'll be pursuing a sane education policy--not one hijacked by civil rights extremists who only want to push their agenda!

April 2
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Fitchburg, WI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in New Berlin, WI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in La Crosse, WI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in West Allis, WI
-Fundraiser in Milwaukee, WI

April 3
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Janesville, WI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Appleton, WI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Wauwatosa, WI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Eau Claire, WI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Racine, WI

Don't let anybody fool you, Wisconsin: I am labor's biggest champion. You look at the track records of all the candidates and no one can outshine me. For 40 years, I've been at the forefront of the issue, longer than anybody else. I fought the California Highway Patrol on the street when they wanted to end union strikes, and I've kept on fighting for the little man against the big business elites who only want an extra buck. As Mayor of Los Angeles, I've still been fighting for stronger unions and stronger communities, and I'll continue that fight in Washington, D.C. With such a proud record of labor here in this state, I need you to send a message that the stuffy elites in our party will not be able to silence the good people of this country!

April 4
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Waukesha, WI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Fond Du Lac, WI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Milwaukee, WI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Green Bay, WI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Madison, WI

It's very sad that Mayor Lindsay's life ended the way it did. Even when I disagreed with the man, I knew he was fighting for better lives like the rest of us. Although he's gone, his presence is still felt. I respected Mayor Lindsay for also bringing up some issues that other candidates have ignored. He talked about the crime wave sweeping the country and the need to put an end to this lunacy, like I have. He also pointed out the many failures of Nixon's economic policy that have only made our economy weaker and less prepared for the next recession. Like Mayor Lindsay, these issues have been driving my own campaign. If this is a message that you care about, then I humbly ask for your vote tonight, Wisconsin. Thank you.

Campaign Activities

-Aggressive fundraising in California, New York, Florida, Illinois, Texas, Michigan, and Ohio
-Contacting new donors in California, New York, Florida, Texas, Virginia, and North Carolina
-Opening up campaign offices in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, and Pennsylvania
-Strengthening campaign offices in Virginia and Kansas
-Recruiting more volunteers in Virginia and Kansas
-Direct advertising in Virginia, Kansas, Hawaii, Idaho, and Montana

The Yorty campaign will file for the Massachusetts and Pennsylvania primaries.

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2015, 11:21:43 PM »

Sam Yorty GOTV Strategy: South Carolina, Missouri, Minnesota, Wisconsin

With the new set of upcoming primaries, the Yorty campaign feels hopeful that victory can be achieved in at least one state (South Carolina), along with convincing showings in the others. South Carolina and Missouri represent the best chances for strong performances, and the campaign has been working around the clock to mobilize caucus-goers and to organize operations for caucus night. The other two states, Minnesota and Wisconsin, also are getting attention with the hope of attaining at least the 15% minimum to win delegates. For all of the primaries, these are the following methods used for GOTV that they share:

-Targeting undecided voters, highlighting Yorty’s independent streak and willingness to “speak the truth” on law and order along with other issues
-Targeting blue collar voters in urban and suburban areas, highlighting the economy, labor issues, law and order, and Vietnam
-Targeting ethnic voters statewide, highlighting the economy, labor issues, law and order, and Vietnam
-Targeting white collar voters in urban areas, highlighting the economy, education, and law and order
-Targeting low-income voters across the state (especially in rural areas), highlighting the economy, education, and healthcare
-Targeting union members across the state, highlighting labor, the economy, education, and healthcare
-Persuading former Lindsay supporters to switch to Yorty, highlighting their similarities on issues such as law and order along with noting their civility to each other on the campaign trail
-Persuading Muskie supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Muskie as "just another politician" and showcasing Yorty as a similar moderate Democrat
-Persuading Harris supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Harris for his extreme anti-war views on Vietnam and pointing to Yorty as the more "genuine" champion of issues such as labor, education, healthcare, etc.

In addition to these actions, other specific actions are being taken for certain states:

South Carolina
-Targeting uncommitted voters, pointing to Yorty as the "true" Southern candidate who will fight for them
-Mobilizing sympathetic party officers concerned with busing, law and order, etc.

Missouri
-Targeting farmers, highlighting Yorty's stances on defending and expanding agriculture

Minnesota
-Persuading McCarthy supporters, criticizing McCarthy's extreme anti-war views and pointing to Yorty as a champion on issues like labor, education, healthcare, etc.
-Targeting Scandinavian voters, promoting Yorty's stances on law and order, education, healthcare, etc.

Wisconsin
-Targeting factory workers, highlighting issues such as law and order, labor, education, and the economy

With the sudden death of John Lindsay, his departure leaves a pool of voters left to grab, and the Yorty campaign has been pushing like no other campaign to claim those voters and set their minds on Yorty. To do this, the campaign has been comparing Yorty and Lindsay as both being moderate Democrats who had common themes such as law and order. It is the campaign's belief that Lindsay voters will be the key to strong performances across the board, including overcoming the 15% threshold in Minnesota and Wisconsin. By winning a plurality of Lindsay voters, Yorty will jump into frontrunner status and come out in first place at the convention.

Here, organization is key. The Yorty campaign has been known for a tremendously strong GOTV operation in all of the primaries so far, and they are continuing their work for these two weeks. The best organizations are in the three caucus states (South Carolina, Missouri, Minnesota) where it is expected that they will once again put fear into the hearts of their rivals. The campaign hopes that after the results in these states, they will solidify Yorty as the candidate for moderate and conservative Democrats.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2015, 11:46:45 PM »

Newspaper Ad: Values

Fred Harris supports immediately withdrawing from Vietnam.

Fred Harris also supports immediate forced busing nationwide.

In these troubled times, Fred Harris is not the man to lead the nation.

Vote for someone who shares your values. Vote for Sam Yorty.

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2015, 11:51:12 PM »

Sam Yorty Surrogates

James F. Byrnes: Barnstorming and GOTV in SC
William Loeb: Barnstorming and GOTV in WI
W. Haydon Burns: Barnstorming and GOTV in WI
Otto Kerner, Jr.: Barnstorming and GOTV in MN
John W. King: Barnstorming and GOTV in MO
Ross Perot: Fundraising in TX
Happy Chandler: Barnstorming and GOTV in SC
Robert Byrd: Barnstorming and GOTV in SC
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2015, 12:20:27 AM »

For fun, I decided to average out the Democrats' results so far and see where they stand in the nationwide popular vote (note: doesn't add up to 100% due to rounding):

1. Ed Muskie - 19.87%
2. Sam Yorty - 19.42%
3. George McGovern - 15.02%
4. Fred Harris - 12.77%
5. John Lindsay - 11.93%
6. Eugene McCarthy - 11.22%
7. Uncommitted - 4.40%
8. Mike Gravel - 3.78%
9. Jimmy Carter - 1.28%
10. Shirley Chisholm - 0.06%
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2015, 09:54:38 PM »

I echo what Dar said and hope that we have until tomorrow night, since I don't think a deadline was ever given. I could try to pump out everything tonight, but it wouldn't be nearly as high quality.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2015, 10:23:51 PM »

You have until Sunday night, last possible date.

If I can I'll take on George Wallace, is he only for the general election, or can he also enter the primaries?

Both, actually. You can enter the primaries (these are open until April ends) if you wish, just like you can enter the general election too. If you enter the GE, it will be Wallace reentering after suspending his campaign, which means he won't be as initially strong as he was before withdrawing.

But there's plenty of time to win back that support and go even further!

*Don't join the GOP primary*

*Join the Democratic primary*

No, join the general election. The South must be represented no matter what!
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2015, 08:56:44 PM »

I was going to have my stuff up in the next hour or so. We're really pushing these deadlines back all the time. Tongue
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2015, 12:35:31 AM »

Sam Yorty Endorsements

Senator Harry F. Byrd, Jr. (I-VA)

I can say with certainty that Sam Yorty speaks to both the hearts and minds of Virginians across our great state. Mr. Yorty has been looking out for the common man in a time when he has been so often ignored. If you want to restore dignity and responsibility to the office of the presidency, then I urge Virginia to caucus for Sam Yorty with full force!

Senator Byrd will be barnstorming Virginia and oversee the state GOTV operations, with an emphasis on neutralizing Harris and Wallace in the caucus. Following the Virginia caucus, Byrd will be barnstorming in Montana and Wyoming for the second week.

Former Governor Mills E. Godwin, Jr. (D-VA)

Harris supports busing and Wallace is a latecomer! Virginia deserves better, and Mr. Yorty has been here for us since the beginning. I encourage my fellow Virginians to show up for him on the 10th.

Governor Godwin will be barnstorming Virginia and invest in GOTV, neutralizing Harris and Wallace's support statewide. For the second week, Godwin will be barnstorming in Montana and Idaho.

Senator Sam Ervin (D-NC)

Now I don't know about y'all, but when I see all of these folks attack a good man like Sam Yorty, it tells me that they're mighty scared he'll beat 'em all in the primaries. I like a tough guy, and Yorty has the chops to be a great President. He definitely has my support. Does he have yours?

In the first week, Senator Ervin will be barnstorming in Alaska, Kansas, and Virginia, peeling away voters from Harris, Muskie, and Wallace. In the second week, Ervin will be barnstorming in Montana and also stop in Pennsylvania to raise support.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2015, 12:27:44 PM »

Sam Yorty Press Conference

YORTY: Good day, gentlemen. I shall be fielding questions from all of you here for as long as it takes. Have at it.

REPORTER: Mayor, how do you respond to the latest attacks from your opponent Senator Muskie?
YORTY: Well, I can't say that he's saying anything new. Senator Muskie is just repeating himself over and over trying to scare voters away from me and hoping that they'll go to his failing campaign. What's bad for him is that the voters already know that Muskie is a phony who has no shot at winning a general election with the effort he's giving. So, while he may pound at me as he wishes, I expect that he'll drop out of the race far sooner than I ever would.

REPORTER: And what about the attacks coming from Senator Harris?
YORTY: I stand by my record as the mayor of the great city of Los Angeles. Not everything happened the way we would like to, of course, and the Sixties were tumultuous times for us all across the country. Under my watch, though, we've made great strides in expanding our infrastructure, growing our economy, and cleaning up the city. Compared to ten years ago, it's a much better place to live. All that Senator Harris has done in his political career is vote--he's never had to manage anything like I have. I don't believe that he has the right experience or judgment to be President.

REPORTER: Are you going to go on the offensive with Governor Wallace now that he's in the race?
YORTY: Look, I think Governor Wallace has shown that he's a fighter, and I like that in a man. I respect him for that. There's no doubt that we have areas of agreement where we can be allies, and I won't hesitate to do that when the time is right. With that said, Governor Wallace won't push me out, and I believe that I am the better candidate at the end of the day. I'll continue doing what I'm doing and I'll highlight my differences with him when I need to.

REPORTER: How do you respond to President Nixon's decision to accelerate bombing in North Vietnam?
YORTY: I've advocating being smarter with our bombing strategy, but this alone won't do the job. I will actually be addressing the issue in much more depth when I head to Arlington later in the week. Stay tuned.

REPORTER: Do you think you have a viable path to the nomination with a crowded field like this?
YORTY: Absolutely. I saw a poll released earlier that showed me tied with Senator Muskie for first place, so it's clear that our momentum is only picking up and not slowing down. So far, we have been doing everything right. I anticipate that we will do very well in the upcoming caucuses across the board, and our victories in these states will lead us to being the clear favorite. I can guarantee you this: I'm not going anywhere!
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2015, 12:49:48 PM »

MAJOR POLICY ADDRESS: WINNING THE WAR IN VIETNAM

Speaking in Arlington, Virginia, to a packed room of reporters and defense personnel, frontrunner Sam Yorty outlined his plans to declare victory in Vietnam after years of stalemate. Although Yorty considered the recent escalation of the bombing campaign in North Vietnam to be "a start," he stated that bombing alone will not lead to victory and called the Nixon administration "incompetent" in its Vietnam policy. An outline of Yorty's strategy goes as follows:

-Introducing a surge of 50,000 more troops in Vietnam
-Bombing key infrastructures in the North, crippling Saigon's capacity to respond
-Placing a significant number of troops in Laos to cut off the Ho Chi Minh trail, restricting the North's movement
-Arming and training the South Vietnamese on a mass scale
-Investing in South Vietnam, including expanding trade, subsidizing industry, and opening military bases

Yorty anticipates that the strategy will result in defeating the North within the first year of his presidency. Following the victory, combat troops will begin to leave Vietnam while a number of peacekeeping troops will remain for the next decade to ensure that the rebuilding of the country will go smoothly and to act as a deterrent against communist influence in Southeast Asia.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2015, 02:29:16 PM »

Sam Yorty Response to Fred Harris

I supported Nixon 12 years ago because I believed that he had the best judgment to lead the country forward after Eisenhower's relative prosperity. I did not have the same confidence in Jack Kennedy at the time. In retrospect, I realize that Nixon is not a man to be trusted and he has truly been a horrid president. That I can agree with Senator Harris on.

Now, Senator Harris claims that I've never been in the Senate, which is accurate, although I have served in the House for two terms. My experience in Congress has taught me that little is usually done in Washington, D.C., and what is done is usually bad. I've been outside Washington and have done good work improving L.A. and making it a major American city. We need more leaders who represent their constituents and who don't pander to special interests like so many politicians. I also find it interesting that Senator Harris would reference his chairmanship of the DNC when he supposedly is "anti-establishment." I'll let the record speak for itself there.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2015, 02:31:02 PM »

Sam Yorty Campaign Schedule: April 5-17

I thank the good people of South Carolina for another victory. Our momentum is only picking up across the country, and for these next few weeks, we'll be criss-crossing the states and making sure that this nomination is ours! I'll see you at the caucuses, my fellow Americans!

April 5
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Twin Falls, ID
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Idaho Falls, ID
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Meridian, ID
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Nampa, ID
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Boise, ID

Farmers in Idaho and across the country have been struggling. We've made great strides in agriculture and the technology we use, but many farmers still live in poverty. Do you think that the current gang of yokels in D.C. give a hoot about you and your needs? I really don't think so! If they did care, then they would have given you the attention that you need years ago. We should be doing more to protect farmers and encourage their livelihoods. A President Yorty would no longer ignore the plight of the farmers, I can tell you that much!

April 6
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Waipahu, HI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Hilo, HI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in East Honolulu, HI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Pearl City, HI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Honolulu, HI

April 7
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Linton Hall, VA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Marumsco, VA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Blacksburg, VA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Charlottesville, VA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Oakton, VA

I welcome Governor Wallace's entrance in the primaries. If anything, this should make the whole process much more competitive for the rest of us, and I'm up for the challenge. He's been talking about many of the issues that I have, and I'm sure many of you Southern fellows have respect for him. Before you think about switching to Wallace this week, though, consider this: Governor Wallace represents the past. He already had his chance in 1968, and despite all the bloodshed and mayhem of that year, he didn't do nearly as well as he should have. Now he's trying to become President again, but it's on him to prove that he's up to it. Look at what I've accomplished, though: Within weeks of announcing, I changed the dialogue of the entire campaign so that my opponents were forced to acknowledge our skyrocketing crime, our failures in Vietnam, and our failed busing policy. If you want to carry this message to the White House, then I'm your guy.

April 8
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Ashburn, VA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Reston, VA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Suffolk, VA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Portsmouth, VA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Lynchburg, VA

Folks like Senator Muskie may try to call me a demagogue, but what he doesn't realize is that my message is the message of the American people, and that is: we're fed up, we're not taking it any longer, and it's up to us to do something about it! Senator Muskie can't connect with you all because he's a creature of the Senate and is hopelessly desperate to put some life in his campaign. It's been months since his last victory, and he should know that his time is up. For us, though, we'll be fighting to the very end.

April 9
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Roanoke, VA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Hampton, VA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Richmond, VA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Alexandria, VA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Arlington, VA

If you have a glimmer of thought on caucusing for Muskie, McGovern, or Harris tomorrow, remember a few things. All three of these men are fully in support of the failed busing program that has harmed the quality of our education and the peace in our communities. All three of these men have no solution to stop the rampant crime happening in our country, and they would rather stay lenient on criminals and terrorists than to keep us safe. All three of these men are also part of the cabal of knuckleheads that we call the U.S. Senate. They're Washington insiders who are clueless about Middle America's troubles, and they're not going to be fighting for you. I will.

April 10
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Topeka, KS
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Olathe, KS
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Kansas City, KS
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Overland Park, KS
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Wichita, KS

Kansas, you've seen Senator Harris around here plenty, haven't you? He would really like your vote, and he's parading around at this one true populist who cares for folks like yourself. What you should focus on about Senator Harris is his "Senator" title. He's part of the same gang of fools that have driven us into the ground to begin with! Senator Harris also acts as if he's this grand anti-establishment figure, but the fact is that he was nearly chosen by Hubert Humphrey, the godfather of the Democratic Party establishment, to be his running mate. Humphrey ended up picking Senator Muskie, and he isn't much better! If you really want to go in a new direction, then you need a nominee who isn't entrenched in Washington, and I would argue that Los Angeles is a much better place to be than Washington.

April 11
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Kalispell, MT
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Bozeman, MT
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Great Falls, MT
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Missoula, MT
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Billings, MT

Senator McGovern would be dangerous as President, ladies and gentlemen. His plan in Vietnam is to withdraw entirely, but that's really no plan at all. If you withdraw without declaring victory, you leave a void for the North to fill and the communists' agenda will only advance in Asia. It should be clear to any serious candidate for President that communism is a threat to the entire world wherever it appears, and it's our moral duty to contain it. Besides Vietnam, McGovern is also completely oblivious to the crime epidemic in our nation. All the "social justice" in the world won't stop a hooligan from looting a store or a terrorist from detonating a bomb. He's just another example of a career politician too disconnected from the American people to have any common sense about leadership. Montana, this week come out and caucus in full force for Sam Yorty, the only candidate who stands with you!

April 12
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Rock Springs, WY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Gillette, WY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Laramie, WY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Casper, WY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Cheyenne, WY

It's good news that the Biological Weapons Convention has resulted in progress. That the Soviet Union has signed on to the agreement should be a relief to the entire world, because in the wrong hands, we could bear witness to plenty of tragedy. Now, the next step is to be aggressive and make sure that the USSR keeps up their end of the bargain and doesn't go around cheating. If they're caught misleading the global community, then we have the authority to respond, because these weapons should not be in the access of anyone.

April 13
-Barnstorming and GOTV in St. George, UT
-Barnstorming and GOTV in West Jordan, UT
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Provo, UT
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Draper, UT
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Salt Lake City, UT

Utah, we don't need a inexperienced, unproven, reckless person to lead us in the White House. If you want somebody like that, then I would point you to Senator Harris. What we need more than anything in this country right now is stability, guided by strong leadership. I'm the candidate with a record of strong management, and I'm the only candidate to release solid plans for a strong foreign policy, an end to widespread crime, and a responsible government. The good people of Utah are going to send a message in a few days that they're ready for new leadership, and I hope that I can claim all of your votes.

April 14
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Clearfield, UT
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Midvale, UT
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Spanish Fork, UT
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Roy, UT
-Barnstorming and GOTV in West Valley City, UT

April 15
-Town Hall in Milford, MA
-Town Hall in Gloucester, MA
-Rally and Voter Registration in Lowell, MA
-Rally and Voter Registration in Quincy, MA
-Fundraiser in Boston, MA

I know what some in the media may be thinking: "What is Sam Yorty doing up here in cold, liberal Massachusetts?" It's certainly different than sunny California, I'll say that! The truth is that the media doesn't realize that the issues I'm talking about apply to all Americans, not just conservative or liberal ones. There are many good working class people in Massachusetts who are fed up with the way things are, and I'm with them here. I want to be the President who cares for the middle class that has been squeezed in the last few years, and I want to let them know that I'm not going anywhere. Many people in Massachusetts will find that my message is what they've been looking for from our leaders, and I expect to do well here just like in many other states.

April 16
-Town Hall in Hermitage, PA
-Town Hall in McKeesport, PA
-Roundtable Discussion (Vietnam) in Harrisburg, PA
-Rally and Voter Registration in Scranton, PA
-Fundraiser in Philadelphia, PA

You want to live a good life and support your family, but it's getting harder by the day. Our current leaders aren't worth a bucket of piss and they're not doing anything to fix what needs to be fixed. If you want to change this country, you need a change in leadership. The only way to change leadership is to find someone who's not part of the country club system of politics. I've been out here fighting the issues that you and your family care about every day of my career. Pennsylvania, will you stand with me in a few weeks?

April 17
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Kuna, ID
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Eagle, ID
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Moscow, ID
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Coeur d'Alene, ID
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Pocatello, ID
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2015, 02:32:26 PM »

Campaign Activities

-Aggressive fundraising in California, New York, Florida, Illinois, Texas, Michigan, Ohio, Virginia, and North Carolina
-Contacting new donors in California, New York, Florida, Texas, Virginia, and North Carolina
-Opening up campaign offices in Massachusetts, Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee, Nebraska, West Virginia, and North Carolina
-Expanding campaign offices in Pennsylvania and California
-Hiring staff/recruiting volunteers in Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Tennessee, Nebraska, West Virginia, and North Carolina
-Expansion of direct mail advertising in Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Tennessee, and North Carolina

The Yorty campaign will file for the Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee, Nebraska, West Virginia and North Carolina primaries.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2015, 08:19:12 PM »

TV Ad: Accomplishment

Sam Yorty is a man of accomplishment. As Mayor of Los Angeles, he has been at the forefront of the next great American city. Yorty led the charge to expand the freeway network, leading to a new era of prosperity. Under Yorty, the economy has boomed and the culture has flourished.

"This is Sam Yorty. Los Angeles has become a great American success under my watch, and I'm proud of the work that I've done. Now I'm running for President, and I want to do the same for the rest of the country. I hope I can earn your vote."

TV Ad: For Virginians

Hello, this is your senator, Harry Byrd. I'm here to talk to you about an important choice that you'll be facing in the caucus this week. We have a fair share of candidates running, but many of them aren't worth your vote. Ed Muskie and Fred Harris say they're "for the people," but they are really Washington insiders who are for disastrous ideas like busing. They are out of touch with Virginians. You also have George Wallace, someone who has changed his positions and who can't decide what party he wants to be in. In an age like this, we need someone who can stand firm. If you want a candidate who is consistent on where he stands and who really represents you, you only have one choice: Sam Yorty. And, folks, I'll be proudly voting for Sam Yorty on the 10th. Will you?

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2015, 08:28:48 PM »

Sam Yorty Surrogates

Harry F. Byrd, Jr.: Barnstorming and GOTV in VA (Week 1), Barnstorming and GOTV in MT, WY (Week 2)
Mills E. Goodwin, Jr.: Barnstorming and GOTV in VA (Week 1), Barnstorming and GOTV in MT, ID (Week 2)
Sam Ervin: Barnstorming and GOTV in AK, KS, VA (Week 1); Barnstorming and GOTV in MT, Campaigning in PA (Week 2)
James F. Byrnes: Barnstorming and GOTV in KS, HI (Week 1), Barnstorming and GOTV in WY, MT (Week 2)
William Loeb: Barnstorming and GOTV in KS, HI (Week 1), Barnstorming and GOTV in MT, ID (Week 2)
W. Haydon Burns: Barnstorming and GOTV in KS, AK (Week 1), Barnstorming and GOTV in MT, WY (Week 2)
Otto Kerner, Jr.: Barnstorming and GOTV in HI, AK (Week 1), Barnstorming and GOTV in ID, UT (Week 2)
John W. King: Barnstorming and GOTV in AK, HI (Week 1), Campaigning in MA, PA (Week 2)
Ross Perot: Fundraising in TX, CA
Happy Chandler: Barnstorming and GOTV in KS, VA (Week 1), Campaigning in IN, NC, WV (Week 2)
Robert Byrd: Barnstorming and GOTV in AK, VA (Week 1), Campaigning in TN, WV (Week 2)
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2015, 08:31:09 PM »

Sam Yorty GOTV Strategy: Caucus Season

With the latest batch of caucuses, the Yorty campaign is acting very aggressively to achieve victory. In caucuses, organization is key. Above all the other campaigns, Yorty's campaign has been by far the most organized in caucus states, targeting key constituencies statewide and driving up enthusiasm that cannot be replicated by the other candidates. For all of the states in the next two weeks, the following actions are being taken by the Yorty campaign for GOTV efforts:

-Targeting veterans and those currently serving across the state, highlighting a muscular foreign policy and new attention on veterans' affairs
-Targeting moderate and conservative Democrats, citing Yorty's positions on law and order, the economy, and foreign policy
-Targeting Republicans to vote in the Democratic primaries, highlighting Yorty as the candidate with the greatest crossover appeal
-Persuading former Lindsay supporters to switch to Yorty, highlighting their similarities on issues such as law and order along with noting their civility to each other on the campaign trail
-Persuading Wallace supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Wallace for his flip-flopping on issues and portraying as a "figure of the past," while pulling them in on issues such as busing, law and order, Vietnam, and labor

In addition to these actions, other specific actions are underway in the following states:

Alaska
-Targeting Alaska Natives in the rural parts of the state
-Persuading Gravel supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Gravel for his lack of attention towards the state
-Persuading former McCarthy supporters to switch to Yorty, citing Yorty's positions on labor, healthcare, agriculture, etc.
-Push to cross the 15% delegate threshold

Kansas
-Targeting farmers, citing Yorty's push for expanding agriculture
-Targeting Evengelicals, citing Yorty's belief in strong communities and family values
-Criticizing Harris as a Washington politician with little accomplishment

Virginia
-Targeting Evengelicals, citing Yorty's belief in strong communities and family values
-Send the message of Harris and Muskie being pro-busing via surrogates statewide

Hawaii
-Targeting Asians, citing Yorty's belief in strong communities and family values
-Persuading former McCarthy supporters to switch to Yorty, citing Yorty's positions on labor, healthcare, agriculture, etc.
-Push to cross the 15% delegate threshold

Idaho
-Targeting farmers, citing Yorty's push for expanding agriculture
-Targeting Mormons, citing Yorty's belief in strong communities and family values
-Targeting uncommitted voters, citing Yorty's independent streak and "tell-it-like-it-is" nature

Montana
-Targeting miners, citing Yorty's anti-establishment bent and positions on labor and industry
-Persuading McGovern supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing McGovern as "just another D.C. politician" and for his extreme anti-war views

Wyoming
-Targeting Mormons, citing Yorty's belief in strong communities and family values

Utah

The Yorty campaign expects to be able to win in most of these states, and is taking all the actions necessary to drive out the maximum vote across the board. The two states considered unlikely for a victory, Alaska and Hawaii, are nonetheless being targeted considerably in an effort to pick up extra delegates, as every delegate counts on the way to the convention.

Following these two weeks, the expectation is that Yorty will go for a near-sweep of the contests, allowing him to claim the momentum and emerge as the clear frontrunner. There is an active push to neutralize Harris and Wallace in caucuses such as Virginia and Kansas, to halt any momentum from them later on and to gain their supporters with time. In addition, Yorty's team has actively been reaching out to Muskie supporters across all the caucuses frustrated with his lackluster campaign and who are inclined to support another moderate Democrat. It is the Yorty campaign's hope that following these caucuses, Muskie will fall. Finally, there is now a new largescale effort to convince Republican voters to participate in the Democratic contests with President Nixon looking to be the presumptive nominee. Yorty has the greatest crossover appeal for Republicans, which will also be an asset for the campaign heading into the general election, and he will capitalize on that appeal to give him an extra boost towards the finish line.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2015, 11:53:33 PM »

McGovern never filed for Massachusetts or Pennsylvania.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2015, 11:57:11 PM »

Are you sure? I do have him on the ballot list, but I suppose I'll have to check.

Yeah. I looked at all of NeverAgain's posts during that turn when we filed for those primaries and he never mentioned anything about it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies