Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:55:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy) (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)  (Read 108535 times)
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #125 on: October 16, 2015, 01:41:37 AM »

Sam Yorty Statement on George Wallace's Withdrawal and Endorsement

I thank Governor Wallace for his endorsement of my campaign. While we disagreed, Governor Wallace raised important issues that other members of the party should take notice of. He was a valuable addition to the race and his presence will be missed.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2015, 02:22:09 PM »

Sam Yorty Press Conference

REPORTER: Mayor Yorty, do you think you can win the nomination?
YORTY: Absolutely, sir. Look at the outpouring of support that we received in California last week, a state that Senator McGovern and I were supposed to be neck-and-neck in. This has been happening all across the country and it's no wonder that we're far and away the leader in delegates. In these last few primaries, I'll fight with all my vigor to lock up support, and I'm confident that come next month I shall be this party's nominee.

REPORTER: What about reports that insiders in the Democratic Party are fretting over your nomination?
YORTY: Well, these party bosses should be, because the jig is up. The American people are no longer tolerating their nonsense, and voters aren't gonna put up with some random ol' stiff who's spent two decades in the Senate. What we need is a new leader who actually means business, and I'm just that. They may not like me, but I'm here to stay, and I'll fight on the convention floor until the very end if need be.

REPORTER: Mayor, some other candidates are expected to enter in the convention, like Senator Bayh, Senator Smathers--
YORTY: Yes, I know. Senator Bayh and Senator Smathers are free to join in if they wish. I know it's going to be a hectic convention, so they might as well get in on the fun. However, I think it's telling that these men didn't have the guts to face the voters months before, and are now seeking this party's nomination at the very last minute. If any of them do happen to get the nomination, they're going to run into plenty of troubles, because I don't think they'll be seen as legitimate nominees without first facing primary voters. This is something that I'm going to remind our party delegates in July.

REPORTER: Even if you do become the nominee, do you expect your party to unify around you? You're a deeply polarizing figure and you've alienated plenty of groups along the way.
YORTY: Look, what all of us Democrats agree on this year is that we've got to kick out President Nixon from the White House. He's let this whole country down by making unfulfilled promises and deceiving us time and time again. I've shown that I'm the only guy running who has the vigor and the endurance to fight the President all the way to November. I'm going to hammer that home all day long. I can promise all Democrats that I won't let you down. When the convention comes and goes, should I be lucky enough to be the nominee, we'll come out ready and swinging.

Well, that's all the questions for today. I've got to get back on the campaign trail with Mr. Meany and some other folks. I'll see you all next month at the convention!
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2015, 06:07:16 PM »

Sam Yorty Campaign Schedule: June 7-20

The Frontrunner

Pictured: Mayor Yorty meeting female admirers in New York

June 7
Focus: bringing back fiscal responsibility in Washington
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Flower Mound, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Mission, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Longview, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in San Angelo, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Tyler, TX

We’ve got to bring back a sense of fiscal sanity back in our government! For far too long, both parties have been letting us down. You’ve got men like President Nixon who’ve let spending grow recklessly, and then you’ve got others like Senator Harris or Senator McGovern who want to spend even more. If you’re like me and you want to keep this government accountable, then it’s time for new leadership!

June 8
Focus: standing up for American values
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Sugar Land, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Pharr, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Richardson, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Midland, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Denton, TX

June 9
Focus: the only anti-establishment candidate running
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Waco, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Odessa, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Round Rock, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in McAllen, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Abilence, TX

Ladies and gentlemen, I can say that I’m the only candidate who’s actually representing you out there. How do I know that? Because when you have reports coming out over big party bosses scared to death of me, then you know who’s on your side! The choice is quite simple at this point, then. You can go for a stamp-approved establishment stiff like Ed Muskie, Birch Bayh, or George Smathers; an out-of-touch radical like George McGovern; or a true populist outsider like Sam Yorty. When you’ve got these choices in front of you, who ever would have thought that voting for the right guy can be so easy?

June 10
Focus: the incompetence of Washington
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Killeen, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Brownsville, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Pasadena, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Grand Prairie, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Frisco, TX

Folks, do you believe that the politicians in Washington have been competent at all? Do you think that they’ve always put your best interests at heart? The answer to both of those questions is “no.” They’re self-serving and they’ve done a terrible job at managing this country. Whether it’s Vietnam, the economy, law enforcement, or education, nothing has been going right for this country these last few years. If we’re not careful, it will only get worse. The way to stop things from getting worse is to recognize the problem, and that is the people in power. From there, we’ve got an easy solution: vote ‘em out!

June 11
Focus: a lifelong fighter for union rights
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Amarillo, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in College Station, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Beaumont, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in League City, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Baytown, TX

Look at the track record. For years, I’ve been at the forefront of the labor issue. In fact, you could say it’s how I got my political career started to begin with. I’ve fought big business, party bosses, state government, local government, you name it. What you can’t deny is that I’m a fighter. It was no surprise to me that George Meany of the AFL-CIO would come out so strongly for me, and I deeply thank his support. So, Texas, when you go vote in three days, make sure you keep in mind who’s actually been fighting in the trenches out there for you every day.

June 12
Focus: stopping busing and bringing back quality education
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Missouri City, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in San Marcos, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Lubbock, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Laredo, Plano, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Garland, TX

June 13
Focus: taking a stand against establishment party bosses
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Irving, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Plano, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Corpus Christi, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Arlington, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in El Paso, TX

Hey, if these party bosses in the Democratic Party want a fight, I say we should give them a fight! *cheers* What these guys don’t realize is that they’re totally disconnected from what voters are actually thinking and feeling. They don’t realize how angry you are, and how concerned you are for the future. That’s why they prop up the same crop of Washington insiders every four years to advance their agenda. Now, people are waking up. They see that the system has failed them, and it’s time for a change. Folks, I want to be that change that you’re looking for. We can do it together. We can stop these party bosses from rigging the system yet another time when we are united. Are you with me?

June 14
Focus: the candidate fighting for Southern values
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Fort Worth, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Austin, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Dallas, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in San Antonio, TX
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Houston, TX

June 15
Focus: stopping crime and restoring order to the streets
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Niagra Falls, NY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Freeport, NY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in White Plains, NY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Perinton, NY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Troy, NY

Who has been talking about crime on the campaign trail from the beginning? Not Ed Muskie, not Fred Harris, and surely not George McGovern. It was me. It’s time that this country stands up for itself again and we refuse to grant leniency towards criminals who want to leave our streets in chaos. If we don’t do anything, then we’ll see even more riots and unrest for the years to come. Is that the future that you want your kids to live in? If you’re like me and you want the nation on a better path, then you’re not going to get it with a politician who represents the status quo like Senator Muskie. We need to come together for a better future, not just for our kids, but for their kids.

June 16
Focus: bringing back manufacturing to the cities
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Clay, NY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Utica, NY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Schenactady, NY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Mount Vernon, NY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in New Rochelle, NY

June 17
Focus: defeating communism and remaining the world’s superpower
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Union, NY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Orangetown, NY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in West Seneca, NY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Henrietta, NY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Greenburgh, NY

If we don't act to beat the communists, then what they will do is spread their ideology across the globe and engulf the West in red. Once that happens, there is no turning back. We need a strong leader in the White House who is willing to stand up for freedom and democracy. I don't see that in Mr. "Acid, Abortion and Amnesty." I don't see that in Flip-Flopping Fred Harris. I don't see that in Dread Ed Muskie. None of these fellows are willing to defend American interests like a president needs to, and because of that, we can't let them get near the White House.

June 18
Focus: strengthening the military and keeping Americans safe
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Cheektowaga, NY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Greece, NY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Albany, NY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Syracuse, NY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Yonkers, NY

June 19
Focus: defeating Washington insiders and taking back the country
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Amherst, NY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Huntington, NY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Rochester, NY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in North Hempstead, NY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Buffalo, NY

Look at my opponents. They all have one thing in common: They’re creatures of Washington! Senator Muskie, Senator Harris, Senator McGovern, and Congressman Udall. How is that for change? Some of them might not have been in Washington as long, sure, but the fact remains that they all are part of the system that has been screwing you all for years, and if you elect any of these guys, they’re not gonna change a damn thing! Do you really want to elect another Washington insider and carry on business as usual? I don’t think so. I’m not beholden to special interests like these Washington insiders are. The only people whom I’m beholden to are you, my fellow Americans. If we get the nomination, we’ll get to the White House, and then we’ll see some real change for once. We can take back the country, but I’ll need all of your support.

June 20
Focus: the one candidate who fights for you
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Oyster Bay, NY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Islip, NY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Smithtown, NY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Brookhaven, NY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in New York, NY

Remember this when you vote. When you see all of the candidates campaigning across the country, who has been talking about the issues? Who has the most devoted supporters? Who has connected with voters in a way that no one else has? Who is speaking their minds? Over these many months, it's been an honor to have received as much support as I have across this great country. Now I'm asking you, New York, to make the final say on what will happen to our country in the months to come. If you're satisfied with the way things are, my opponents are fine alternatives. But, if you want to see a real change--for new, strong leadership--then there's only one choice for you, your family, your friends, and your neighbors. That would be Sam Yorty.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2015, 06:15:33 PM »

Campaign Activities

With the primaries winding down, the Yorty campaign is shifting gears. While the campaign is still aggressively fundraising across the country, attention is now being put to preparations for the convention. In particular, the campaign is rounding up assigned delegates to stick with Yorty after the first ballot is cast to keep a rock-solid amount of support. Additionally, an intense lobbying effort is being made to convince uncommitted delegates to align with Yorty, pointing to Yorty holding the lead in both delegates and the popular vote by the end of the primaries, making him the most 'legitimate' nominee. These efforts shall last all the way to the convention.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #129 on: October 20, 2015, 06:28:02 PM »

Sam Yorty Surrogates

George Meany: Barnstorming and GOTV in TX, NY
Jimmie Davis: Barnstorming and GOTV in TX, OK, NY
John McKeithen: Barnstorming and GOTV in TX, OK, NY
Harry F. Byrd, Jr.: Barnstorming and GOTV in TX, OK, NY
Mills E. Goodwin, Jr.: Barnstorming and GOTV in TX, NY
Sam Ervin: Barnstorming and GOTV in TX, OK, NY
James F. Byrnes: Barnstorming and GOTV in TX, NY
William Loeb: Barnstorming and GOTV in TX, DE, NY
W. Haydon Burns: Barnstorming and GOTV in TX, DE, NY
Otto Kerner, Jr.: Barnstorming and GOTV in TX, OK, NY
John W. King: Barnstorming and GOTV in TX, DE, NY
Ross Perot: Barnstorming in TX, NY
Happy Chandler: Barnstorming and GOTV in TX, OK, NY
Robert Byrd: Barnstorming and GOTV in TX, OK, NY
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #130 on: October 20, 2015, 07:18:33 PM »

Sam Yorty GOTV Strategy: The Final Primaries

With only the final primaries left to contest before the convention, the Yorty campaign has been underway in a massive push to take advantage of Yorty's new momentum. After taking a clear lead in delegates, the campaign is making sure that it continues to give the perception of Yorty becoming the inevitable nominee. That means winning plenty of delegates in Texas and New York, as well as targeting Oklahoma to a lesser degree. For all of the primaries this turn, the following actions are being conducted:

-Targeting undecided voters, highlighting Yorty’s independent streak and willingness to “speak the truth” on law and order along with other issues
-Targeting blue collar voters in urban and suburban areas, highlighting the economy, labor issues, law and order, and Vietnam
-Targeting ethnic voters statewide, highlighting the economy, labor issues, law and order, and Vietnam
-Targeting white collar voters in urban areas, highlighting the economy, education, and law and order
-Targeting low-income voters across the state (especially in rural areas), highlighting the economy, education, and healthcare
-Targeting union members across the state, highlighting labor, the economy, education, and healthcare
-Targeting veterans and those currently serving across the state, highlighting a muscular foreign policy and new attention on veterans' affairs
-Targeting moderate and conservative Democrats, citing Yorty's positions on law and order, the economy, and foreign policy
-Targeting disaffected Democrats across the state who normally don't vote
-Targeting Republicans to vote in the Democratic primaries, highlighting Yorty as the candidate with the greatest crossover appeal
-Persuading Muskie supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Muskie as "just another politician" and showcasing Yorty as a similar moderate Democrat
-Persuading Harris supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Harris for his extreme anti-war views on Vietnam and pointing to Yorty as the more "genuine" champion of issues such as labor, education, healthcare, etc.
-Persuading Wallace supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Wallace for his flip-flopping on issues and portraying as a "figure of the past," while pulling them in on issues such as busing, law and order, Vietnam, and labor

In addition, specific actions are being conducted for the following states:

Texas
-Tout Yorty as the true Southern candidate of the race
-Tout George Meany's endorsement statewide, particularly in urban areas
-Pummel Muskie as a career politician and a Washington insider who will maintain business as usual
-Pummel Harris as a Washington insider who's flip-flopped on busing
-Target Asian voters
-Target Hispanic voters
-Target Evangelical voters
-Target Catholic voters
-Aggressively utilize surrogates statewide
-Drive up turnout in rural areas across the state
-Heavily invest in organization for Houston, Austin, Dallas, and Fort Worth
-Aggressively push for a big victory

Oklahoma
-Pummel Harris as a Washington insider who's flip-flopped on busing
-Pummel Muskie as a career politician and a Washington insider who will maintain business as usual
-Target Native American voters
-Target Evangelical voters
-Consolidate support to be the main anti-Harris candidate in the state
-Push for a strong performance (>15%, winning delegates)

New York
-Pummel Harris as a Washington insider who pretends to be a populist
-Pummel McGovern as out of touch and an extremist who will endanger the nation
-Target Hispanic voters
-Target Asian voters
-Target Polish voters
-Target Catholic voters
-Target Jewish voters
-Aggressively utilize surrogates statewide
-Drive up turnout in rural areas across the state
-Invest in organization heavily in NYC
-Aggressively push for a strong performance (>20%)

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2015, 07:28:01 PM »

A Message from AFL-CIO President George Meany

Good evening, my fellow Americans.

If you're like me, you know this country is in trouble. Our leaders have failed to serve the very people who brought them into office in the first place. If things keep going the way we are, we are heading toward dark times.

This isn't to say that we can't reverse this. We have someone running for President this year whom I know will do a fantastic job, and his name is Sam Yorty.

Mayor Yorty has devoted his entire career to serving the people. He's been at the forefront of defending labor against big business for the last 40 years, and he's shown an unflinching sense of integrity. With him, you know where he stands and he won't buck under pressure.

Mayor Yorty has also shown that he is willing and able to defend the United States and what it stands for. While our enemies threaten us abroad and we're engulfed in violence here at home, he's the one candidate who will do what is necessary to keep us safe.

On behalf of the AFL-CIO, I fully support Mayor Yorty for the Democratic nomination. If you're just as concerned about the country as I am, then it's your duty to make a change. That starts with electing a new president.

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #132 on: October 20, 2015, 07:36:24 PM »

TV Ad: Time for a Change

Ed Muskie doesn't want you to vote for Sam Yorty.

George McGovern doesn't want you to vote for Sam Yorty.

Fred Harris doesn't want you to vote for Sam Yorty.

Why? Because they know he'll shake things up in Washington.

The people have had enough with politicians who say one thing and mean another. It's time to say, "Enough is enough!"

Sam Yorty is the only candidate who is outside of Washington, who is accountable to voters, and who means what he says.

It's time for a change. Isn't it time that we got one with Sam Yorty?

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #133 on: October 20, 2015, 07:53:30 PM »

TV Ad: Mayor Yorty Speaks to Voters

Good evening. This is Mayor Sam Yorty.

I've come to talk to you directly about the choice that you'll be making in your primary. If you're fed up with the way things are, then we can't just vote in the same people in and out of office. If you're concerned about the direction that our country is heading, then voting for conventional politicians will do you no good. If you want to make a real change, then we can't allow the establishment to silence your voices. I'm running because I'm with you: I'm fed up with the way things are, I'm concerned about the direction that our country is heading, and I want to make a real change. If you'll allow me the opportunity to tackle these issues as your next president, then we may just fix our problems and come out better than ever.

Thank you all for your support, and God bless this country.

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #134 on: October 20, 2015, 09:09:32 PM »

Sam Yorty Response to George McGovern's Attacks

Senator, you say that I only "fight," not "fight for" anything. Well, let's make it very clear: I fight for the American people each and every day. I fight for their right to live decent lives. They shouldn't be scared of their own streets, and they should be able to have great opportunities if they want to succeed. That starts with addressing the problems we have, though. Yes, I'm a fighter, but I'm a fighter with a cause. You have solutions, but you don't recognize the original problems that have led us to where we are. As long as we keep the same crop of politicians around, we'll never change anything for the better. That's why I'm in this race.

[I just finished this when you posted, Lumine]
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #135 on: October 20, 2015, 09:18:17 PM »

Yeah, thanks for everything, Lumine. This primary season has been one hell of a ride!
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #136 on: October 21, 2015, 02:50:42 PM »

Nominating Speech for Sam Yorty - Delivered by the Honorable George Meany

My fellow Democrats and my fellow Americans,

We have the chance to make history this week, right here in this very convention hall. After years of turmoil and malaise, our nation is left weaker than it has been in many years. The foundation of this country that has made us so unique is left crumbling, with almost no one bold enough to do something about it. How much longer can this go on before our foundation turns to rubble? The time to act is now.

I proudly nominate my good friend, Los Angeles Mayor Samuel W. Yorty, for president. Only Mayor Yorty has shown that he recognizes the many problems that our society faces, and he's the only one with real solutions to fix this country and turn it around. We cannot continue to push the same politicians that have led us to our problems to begin with. What we need is a real regime change. Mayor Yorty has been fighting institutions since he got started in politics. He's led the fight for labor in California, he beat back the elites in Los Angeles when he was elected mayor, and he continues to stand up as an independent voice in our party today.

The costs are too high to make the wrong decision when we nominate our choice for president. We need someone who stands up for the working class. We need someone who can defend America and defend American values. We need someone who has the passion to bring real change to Washington after years of failed promises. Only Sam Yorty can do that, and I urge the delegates of this convention to do what is right.

Thank you.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2015, 01:24:43 PM »

NYT: Yorty Delegates Seek to Influence Democratic Platform

Heading into this year's Democratic National Convention, supporters of Los Angeles Mayor Sam Yorty (D-CA) are flexing their muscles and ensuring that their presence will be felt. Delegates for Yorty are actively planning to force votes on changes to the party's platform, to be released later on in the convention. Among the changes sought by the Yorty camp include tougher stances on combating communism and stopping crime, as well as dropping support for forced nationwide busing and a new call to reduce the national debt. With about 40% of total delegates in his control on the first ballot, Yorty, the frontrunner for the nomination following the primaries, is bound to cause sparks flying in Miami Beach.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #138 on: October 24, 2015, 06:16:30 PM »

Sam Yorty Convention Speech: "Enough!"

The following remarks were given to the entire delegation of the DNC following the second ballot:

Mr. Chairman, and delegates of this convention, I'd like to speak to you directly tonight. Something here needs to be addressed.

It's clear that since we first walked into this convention, things have taken a turn for the worst. Instead of an open dialogue about the choices we face this election and the future of our country, what have we seen instead? Just the opposite. Instead of an honest, frank discussion about who our nominee should be and what they represent, we have turned to secret backroom banter that gets us nowhere and harms us all in the end. This is unacceptable.

Many of you know me as a fighter. I don't deny that. However, one thing I like to pride myself in is that I'm open about what I think and what I say. If I have a disagreement with you, I will say it to you directly. This is how a party should work: We should be open about our ideas, what we stand for, and work it out from there. A little fight is natural, but it should be done in the public eye. What's going on in this convention hall is totally different. Rather than being transparent, we've reached a point where some people are sniping at others behind closed doors, spreading vicious rumors and calling others nasty names. Is this how the Democratic Party should act like? Is this what we want to be known for in the general election? I say we can do better than that, and we must. If we don't, no matter who you're trying to bring down, you'll bring down yourself along the way.

I have been a victim of many of these attacks so far. There are men and women walking among us in this hall who have resorted to calling me "disgusting" and a "slob" behind closed doors. They want to tar and feather me, and they're desperate. Keep this in mind, though: Many of the ones who are calling me the divisive candidate are engaging in some of the nastiest and most divisive language I've heard in my career in years! No matter our differences, I have not and would never stoop so low. To whomever is behind these attacks, what does is say about you that you are willing to do that?

What I'd like to do is to speak directly to whoever is behind this. I know you're out here tonight and I know you're listening. By doing what you're doing, you have already disqualified yourself from being our party's nominee. By trashing your opponents personally and by spreading resentment, you've done nothing for your cause. The only thing you've shown to the entire nation is that you'll stop at nothing to get what you want, consequences be damned. For that, you should be ashamed of yourself. If you have any dignity in you, you'll reveal yourself and your crimes and apologize for what you've done in this convention.

As for the great majority of the delegates here, I know you disagree with what's been going on and you're disgusted by it, as you rightfully should be. What you need to do now is to stand up and say, "Enough!" If you know anyone here who has been spreading the insults, lies, and rumors, then speak up and let this entire convention here know who they are! If you're disgusted by dirty backroom politics, then prove we can do better and fight for transparency and accountability!

I know we'll squabble and I know we have fierce competition here. But, are we going to resort to our nastiest tendencies and do whatever it takes to come out on top? Are we going to condone blatant, unaccountable slander? We don't have to. We can prove we're different. Only then can the Democratic Party come out strong in July, then win in November. Thank you.

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #139 on: October 25, 2015, 04:11:54 PM »

Kingpoleon has it right. He showed me his draft and then asked for me to resend it because I presume he doesn't save his own messages.

Sam Yorty on Mo Udall Endorsement

I thank Congressman Udall for his endorsement. We obviously have our disagreements as the primaries have made clear, but we're both united in wanting a convention of ideas and transparency. I hope that we can all soon unite and focus on winning the general election.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #140 on: October 26, 2015, 02:30:34 PM »

Sam Yorty Press Conference

Speaking to a packed room of reporters in Miami Beach outside the convention hall, Mayor Yorty takes questions:

REPORTER: Mayor Yorty, your delegate count far surpasses all of your other opponents, but you've stayed around 45% of the vote after four ballots now. How can you get that 5% and become the nominee?
YORTY: Well, I'm glad you asked that question. If you look at the movement for all the candidates, you can see that I have actually been gaining in delegates over the last few ballots, and I'm now in a better position than ever for the nomination. Now, you're right, we've got a little extra work to do. There's still a lot of uncertainty around, and I understand that. What I'm going to do is appeal directly to my fellow Democrats and ask them this: Despite whom you may agree with the most, which one of us best shows strength? Which one of us is battle-tested and ready for the general election? Which one of us will rally voters and bring us victory? When you look at how the primary season has gone, it's clear that I'm the only one who has shown all of that. I'm ready to rumble, and I'd like to be the Democratic nominee.

REPORTER: But some people in the party are voicing that you may become crippled soon if you can't get that majority.
YORTY: I don't spend every waking second of my day concerned about what what a couple of anonymous folks say about my chances. If there was something grave to worry about for me right now, then I would have been going down with each ballot cast, but I've only been gaining so far. Like I said, though, I'm fighting for the nomination and I'll stay until the very end. My team and I have been rallying delegates on the floor to convince them why I'm the best candidate for the party. We're more invigorated than ever after getting Mayor Daley's support, so it's clear that we're on the right path.

REPORTER: Mayor, are you worried that the late entries like Senator Bayh or Senator Jackson might stop you from becoming the nominee?
YORTY: I'm not focused too much on those gentlemen right now. They can do what they want to, but I'm squarely focused on making my case to the party and why I'm the best candidate for the general election. I was a little surprised to see Senator Jackson jump in, actually; we share much in common and it looks like he's trying to get my votes. However, I should note this about both Senator Jackson and Senator Bayh: they're untested. They can say that they've had great electoral success in their respective states, and that's good, but we're talking about a grueling national campaign that spans months and goes from east to west. These two have skipped the primary process and have had no experience dealing with that. Say what you want about Senator Muskie and Senator McGovern, but they have gone through it and know what to expect. How do we know that these two would be ready to compete against President Nixon with their last-minute bids? That's something that the delegates should keep in mind when they're voting for their nominee.

REPORTER: Can you win against the President when you're already 11 points behind?
YORTY: I've been waiting for this question. *laughs* Look, when you have had every single opponent of yours left and right pummel you since January until now, calling you "dangerous," "unelectable," and a "demagogue," why wouldn't you expect that you would be 11 points down? I've had to go through a lot to get where I am today, but I stand proud in knowing that despite all of these relentless attacks on myself, I'm leading in delegates by far and I'm close to the nomination. We've done so much already, but there's more work to be done. The American people have gotten a distorted view of Sam Yorty. Once they see me up close and personal on the campaign trail, those numbers will change quickly. They'll see that they have a real choice in their next president, and they'll vote for a change.

[. . .]

YORTY: Well, folks, I've gotta go now, but it's been a pleasure answering some of your questions. Time to shake some more hands at the convention!
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #141 on: October 26, 2015, 09:22:50 PM »

REPORT: YORTY DELEGATES WALK OUT OF CONVENTION

YORTY PREPARING STATEMENT . . . DEVELOPING
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #142 on: October 26, 2015, 11:02:13 PM »

Mayor Yorty Addresses the Media (and the Nation)

Good evening.

After the last ballot's results came out earlier, two things are now clear. One, it is a tremendous victory for Senator Muskie, who's now the nominee. Two, it is a tremendous defeat for the American people. In the primaries, Democrats voted for a clean break from politics as usual. They knew the system was working against them, that the very top has been running things for years, and they acted out after years of neglect. Going into this convention, I was the voice for that change. Americans mobilized and my campaign had a tremendous delegate advantage, though we were just short of claiming the majority.

For all of those Americans who thought they were finally breaking through the system and were about to claim victory, reality hit them.

It was thanks to a grand conspiracy co-opted by the left-wing radical George McGovern and the opportunistic Birch Bayh that this Democratic National Convention ignored the voices of millions of voters who participated in the process. Who did they elevate to center stage? None other than Senator Edmund Sixtus Muskie, the epitome of the slimy Washington establishment. I cannot think of a bigger slap to the face than that. And if any of you came here anticipating an endorsement from me, I'm sorry to say that you'll be disappointed.

What we have seen here tonight is just the continuation of business as usual. This time, though, I won't stand for it any longer, and neither will millions of other good, hard-working people in this country. The Democrats have increasingly catered to elites and radicals alike while ignoring the middle man who brought them their success to begin with. They have taken for granted the plumber, the farmer, and the factory worker. My campaign was about bringing all of these people back into the discussion. Not only did I achieve that in the primaries, but we have also seen many disaffected voters showing up for the first time in years, knowing that they had a real choice. While we achieved much, all of our efforts were ultimately squashed by the party establishment desperate to stay in control.

I can no longer in good conscience tolerate that. For this reason, tonight, I am disavowing any and all ties I have with the Democratic Party. Many in the media will spin this as Yorty being sour and leaving the Democratic Party, but, in truth, the Democratic Party left me, as well as many others who think like I do. I encourage everyone who supported my campaign and what I stood for to take a good, hard look the situation, and they'll realize that the party doesn't care for them either. Why should you put up with an Ed Muskie? Don't! Send them a message and let them know that you're still here and you're no longer going to be taken for granted by anybody. If we can do that, if we can keep this national movement going, then we just may see change coming down the road after all.

As for what my plans for the future are now, well, all of that is up in the air. Thank you.

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #143 on: November 01, 2015, 11:39:19 PM »

Good to see you're getting better! Take as much time as you need.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #144 on: February 16, 2016, 04:17:10 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2016, 06:30:52 PM by Spiral »

Sam Yorty Campaign Schedule: September 1-7

HE'S BACK!

September 1
-Town Hall in Redmond, OR
-Town Hall in Tigard, OR
-Town Hall in Springfield, OR
-Rally and Voter Registration in Salem, OR
-Meeting with activists in Eugene, OR

VOTER: Mayor, I voted for you in the primary this year, but I'm wondering why you switched over to the Republicans and joined Nixon when you've been critical of all of them.

YORTY: Because, ma'am, this is about much more than my personal ambitions or any one of my opponents. This is about where our country is gonna go. I ran as a Democrat because I believed in what I thought were its basic principles, but now I see that the party has changed. It's become so radicalized that they just couldn't stomach someone like me, and so the party bosses nullified the votes of millions of Americans and picked their own candidate at the convention. A party like that has no business representing ordinary people, so I'm no longer putting up with them. I have voiced differences with President Nixon before, but this is a man who has a vision for the country. He wants to restore peace and keep us safe from all threats, from the communists abroad to the delinquents here at home. Ed Muskie has no vision, no conviction, and no spine. He doesn't represent you or me, and he's not qualified to be our next president. That's the choice voters have this election.

September 2
-Meet and Greet in Walla Walla, WA
-Meet and Greet in Salmon Creek, WA
-Meet and Greet in Lynnwood, WA
-Rally and Voter Registration in Spokane Valley, WA
-Rally and Voter Registration in Vancouver, WA

September 3
-Town Hall in Shoreline, WA
-Town Hall in Auburn, WA
-Rally and Voter Registration in Spokane, WA
-Rally and Voter Registration in Seattle, WA
-Meeting with farmers union in Kent, WA

As I go around Washington and the rest of the country, I see people who come up to me with the same types of problems. "How will I keep my family afloat?" "What's going to happen to our jobs?" "Are we going to be safe?" These people deserve straight talk, so I'll say this: things are rough right now, and they'll continue to be for a little while, but we've got to persevere. This country has gone through depressions and wars and all other kinds of calamities. Recovery starts with electing a president this year, though. President Nixon is the only man who's able to turn the tide and restore our pride. You look at who's managed the country for the last few decades, and for most of that time, it's been controlled by the Democrats. What did they give us now after all of that time governing? Riots, corruption, lost jobs, and an all-around weakened country. We can't turn the keys over to the Democrats again, because all they're gonna do is offer more of that. We've got to continue on the path we're on and finish the job. Only then will we become better off than ever.

September 4
-Town Hall in Liberty, MO
-Town Hall in Joplin, MO
-Town Hall in Cape Girardeau, MO
-Rally and Voter Registration in Independence, MO
-Rally and Voter Registration in Springfield, MO

September 5
-Meeting with factory workers in O'Fallon, MO
-Meeting with farmers union in Jefferson City, MO
-Rally and Voter Registration in Columbia, MO
-Rally and Voter Registration in St. Louis, MO
-Rally and Voter Registration in Kansas City, MO

We gotta give credit where credit is due: you farmers across the country have done a great job despite all your hardships. Here in the Midwest, the economy thrives on agriculture. We need a president who respects farmers and what they do for the country. Some of you may be thinking, "Why would a guy like Nixon care about me?" I'll have you know that the man himself grew up in poverty and knows exactly what it's like to face the struggles many of you have gone through. He even grew up on a ranch in California when he was a young lad. Richard Nixon worked his way to the top and has thanked everyone who helped him along the way. Now he wants to make sure that no one here gets left behind.

September 6
-Town Hall in Radcliff, KY
-Town Hall in Jeffersontown, KY
-Rally and Voter Registration in Lexington, KY
-Meeting with coal miners in Greenville, KY
-Appearance on CBS News

REPORTER: Mayor, what is your reaction to what just unfolded in Munich?

YORTY: This is an absolute tragedy. The rest of the world stands with Israel and Germany, who have both lost lives to this disgusting terrorist group. We should remind ourselves that even in a high-security event like the Olympics, something like this had the chance of happening, and it did. We should never back down to these terrorists, and we must do what it takes to keep our people safe.

REPORTER: Do you think that your Democratic opponents in this election are strong enough on this issue of national security and preparedness?

YORTY: Ed Muskie has been unwilling in the past to take a strong stance on national security. In a world like this, it's absolutely necessary. I'm sure he grieves like the rest of us, but he has yet to prove how he would avoid a similar event unfolding in the U.S. President Nixon understands the threats we face and he's already reached out to the countries at the same time that he's been bolstering our own security. Whoever does win the election has to be prepared for anything on Day One. Senator Muskie doesn't pass that test of being our commander-in-chief.

September 7
-Town Hall in New Berlin, WI
-Town Hall in Fond Du Lac, WI
-Town Hall in La Crosse, WI
-Rally and Voter Registration in Green Bay, WI
-Rally and Voter Registration in Milwaukee, WI
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2016, 10:27:52 PM »

Nixon Campaign - Advertisement #2

I stand before you as a fellow American.

We live in extraordinary and challenging times. Make no mistake: this nation has gone through much turmoil in the last few years.

When I came into office, people were rioting in the streets. Blood was shed often.

But we as a nation could no longer tolerate that. We stood on principle and we went back to work.

This administration has worked from day one to stop the violence in the streets and truly restore peace.

Parents should let their children go to school without worrying what will happen. Communities and businesses should thrive.

It has been a long road, but as your President, I am honored to have played a role in healing our nation's wounds. Let's keep working together to make the United States better than ever.

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2016, 10:43:40 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2016, 10:54:06 PM by Spiral »

REPORTER #1: Mayor Yorty, how is the campaign going?

YORTY: Fantastic! Thank you for asking.

REPORTER #2: What do you have to say about the repeated attacks from Senator Muskie this week?

YORTY: Same old business that we've seen for months, folks. Senator Muskie has been smarting ever since I beat him in New Hampshire and now he's exasperated after he thought that he had seen the last of me. This election isn't about me, Sam Yorty, even if he wants to make people think it is. This is about picking a leader, and President Nixon has the guts and the stamina to lead us forward after years of chaotic governance from the Democrats. Muskie has nothing to run on.

REPORTER #3: What about the ads playing from the Schmitz campaign calling the President a traitor?

YORTY: These are but the rantings of a man desperate for attention. Mr. Schmitz has tried to grab every last ounce of relevance he can muster up through these accusations, as we've seen repeatedly over this past year. I understand his appeal, although following Schmitz's campaign is like getting on board a sinking ship. President Nixon is for law and order, a strong national defense, and a revival of this economy. I encourage his supporters to take a better look at our campaign and they may like what they see.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #147 on: February 19, 2016, 03:38:29 PM »

May we get an extension on this?
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #148 on: March 03, 2016, 01:49:45 PM »

MAJOR ADDRESS FROM MAYOR YORTY ON RECENT ATTACKS

My fellow Americans,

As we have seen over the past couple of weeks, a number of harsh attacks has been thrown at myself from our opponents in this race. As you might have noticed when you watch the evening news, I have been called everything from a fraud to reactionary to an unqualified maniac to an opportunist with no convictions. This sort of character assassination is nothing new in politics, of course, but what your opponents never want you, the voters, to hear is my own perspective. Tonight, I will attempt to clear up any distortions of my character and set the record straight once and for all.

Throughout my career, I have always sought to be a man of the people and serve my country in whatever way I could. Whether it was joining the Air Force during World War II, fighting for workers on the streets, or being part of growing a booming city, I've had many roles in representing ordinary people in this country and working for their best interests. When I ran for the presidency earlier this year, my whole campaign was based on taking back power and giving it to the people who have been silenced, marginalized, and beaten down.

My campaign turned out to have been far more successful than any of the pundits on the television ever predicted, because they failed to realize just how much pain is out there. Unfortunately, the big party bosses in the Democratic Party did not want to see us succeed, and so they clamped down on the movement and forced their own ticket, silencing the voices of millions of primary voters along the way. Men, women, rich, poor, white, black--all were ignored in favor of what the party wanted instead. Is this the kind of politics that Americans are supposed to tolerate before their very eyes?

You see, in truth, I am still the same Sam Yorty that I always have been--nothing more, nothing less. I'm a populist at heart and an American above all else. While our opponents are free to label me as a craven opportunist with no moral compass, my career has been defined by standing up for the little guy against many different special interests. The reason why I am not longer a Democrat is not because I have changed, I am no longer a Democrat because the party establishment has no role for myself or millions of other Americans, and they have made that abundantly clear through their actions.

I'd like to read to you part of a letter that I received from a woman named Sue, who lives in Pennsylvania. It goes as follows: "Mayor Yorty, I am a Democrat. I did not vote for you in the primary, but I am disgusted with how the party treated you and your supporters at the convention. They pulled every dirty trick they could to undermine you so they could anoint their own candidate. After what happened in July, I no longer feel clean voting for the Democrats this year. I don't agree with you and President Nixon on everything, especially on some big issues, but I get a sense of decency and responsibility that I don't when I see Ed Muskie. For that reason, you have my vote." There are many more voters like Sue who feel the same way. It is one thing to have a spirited contest, but it is another to bend the rules and effectively disenfranchise a plurality of the voters.

Now you may ask, Why would I join President Nixon when I've been so critical of him before? Is it petty revenge? One more shot at power? After leaving the party, I reevaluated my standing and asked once more what the best thing I could do for my country is. I came to the conclusion that what we as a country need to do now is to unite. The President is not some rabid ideologue who takes no prisoners; he is a reasonable man who is a capable administrator. The best thing to do now is to reach out and present a ticket of unity, and that's what we have been able to achieve. We need a "country first" mentality once more, not this petty politics of dividing by race and gender. The Nixon/Yorty ticket stands for peace at home, a strong international standing, and renewed prosperity.

If you are someone who voted for me in the Democratic primaries, I ask that you come along once more. If you never supported me, I still implore you to join our campaign. This election should be about bringing back a strong, confident country with limitless potential. We want to be the ones who reach out to all Americans, especially the ones who haven't had a voice in the political process in years. President Nixon and I still have our differences, of course, but we are mature individuals and we can respect our differences while working out the best possible solution.

This election is about much more than who I've supported or what our opponents can hurl at us. This year, we have a choice between a ticket who can unite the nation and and others who will only deepen our divides. I am proud to stand with President Nixon and I will not be deterred by anyone who launches smears our way. That is not the way to fix our problems. America can be greater than ever before, and it begins with your help. Get involved, be proud, and fight every day for what's right.

Thank you.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #149 on: March 03, 2016, 08:52:56 PM »

Sam Yorty Campaign Schedule: September 8-15

September 8
-Town Hall in Waukee, IA
-Town Hall in Boone, IA
-Town Hall in Mason City, IA
-Meeting with farmers in Sioux City, IA
-Meeting with local activists in Davenport, IA

We have a good organization here in Iowa, but we can always do better. What I need you all to do is reach out to friends, family, and neighbors and get them involved in this campaign. Flyers, door knocking, phone banks--whatever it takes, get the message out. Muskie will always have his big-city machines to bring out the vote, but we can just as easily counter that if we have the enthusiasm on our side. Starting today, let's get moving. Are you with me?

September 9
-Town Hall in Decatur, IL
-Town Hall in Moline, IL
-Meeting with farmers in Bloomington, IL
-Rally in Naperville, IL
-Rally and Voter Registration in Chicago, IL

To those out there who supported me in the primaries this year, I thank you. We had a good fight, but the elites wouldn't let us get the nomination. Don't let that stop you from exercising your influence, though. It should make you even more motivated! I saw genuine anger, frustration, passion, and excitement every day on the campaign trail from the thousands of people I saw every day. We have to redirect that anger, frustration, passion, and excitement to this general election now. You may not agree with everything that President Nixon has done in office, but he's listening to you. He wants to know your concerns and he wants to help you. After what went down in the DNC, do you really think that Ed Muskie knows what you're feeling or cares about you? If he did, he would've backed away and said, "I can't become the nominee this way." Don't let Ed Muskie screw you over again, my friends. This election is too important.

September 10
-Meet and Greet in Jackson, MI
-Meet and Greet in Pittsfield, MI
-Town Hall in East Lansing, MI
-Town Hall in Pontiac, MI
-Rally and Voter Registration in Wyoming, IL

This election is important, folks. The choices are clear: We can move forward with a ticket that is about unifying America and strengthening America. The alternatives are not so good. You have one ticket that strong-armed their way to the nomination, subverting the will of the people. How can they claim to have a mandate if they never had one from the start? You also have another ticket that represents the fringe of politics, the conspiratorial name-calling that is all about shouting and never about solutions. You may not believe that President Nixon is perfect, and nobody really is, but he's the one guy in this election who has what it takes to reverse our malaise and bring us on a better path: a true American revival. I ask that you consider us for your vote in November.

September 11
-Rally in Troy, MI
-Rally in Ann Arbor, MI
-Rally in Sterling Heights, MI
-Meeting with factory workers in Detroit, MI

I feel your plight. As you know, I brought up the issue of manufacturing and jobs constantly in my own campaign. I may be running with the President now, but nothing has changed. I want to let you all know that President Nixon cares about your livelihoods just as much as I do. The world is becoming more and more globalized, and we may lose many of our jobs if we don't take the right precautions. President Nixon acknowledges that and he'll continue to take action. We'll be working to strengthen protections for American workers, and we'll provide incentives for companies to remain here in the U.S. Some of you may be skeptical, and I understand that--politicians have disappointed us all many times. But, I assure you that President Nixon is a friend to industries and workers alike.

September 12
-Town Hall in De Pere, WI
-Town Hall in Greenfield, WI
-Town Hall in New Berlin, WI
-Rally and Voter Registration in Janesville, WI
=Rally and Voter Registration in Racine, WI

September 13
-Town Hall in Horsham, PA
-Town Hall in Monroeville, PA
-Rally in State College, PA
-Rally in Lower Paxton, PA
-Meeting with union leaders in Erie, PA

Don't let the mudslinging and fear mongering from the Muskie campaign cloud your minds. You know me. You know that I've fought for labor for 40 years and I care about this issue. I want to tell you right here that there is no reason to be terrified over a Nixon second term. Collective bargaining plays an important role in our economy and we can't diminish that fact. Our Labor Department will be focused on bridging the divides that we see, not creating endless new skirmishes. Our main focus is on being able to raise workers' wages over time and creating a robust economy. I humbly ask for your support in this election, and I'll let you have the time to think over your decision. Thank you for the meeting, gentlemen.

September 14
-Meet and Greet in Hazel Dell, WA
-Meet and Greet in Moses Lake, WA
-Town Hall in Spanaway, WA
-Town Hall in Des Moines, WA
-Rally and Voter Registration in Bellevue, WA

September 15
-Meet and Greet in Claremont, NH
-Town Hall in Portsmouth, NH
-Town Hall in Salem, NH
-Meeting with small business owners in Concord, NH
-Rally and Voter Registration in Manchester, NH

New Hampshire is a special place for me, let me tell ya. This time I'm not asking that you vote for me, though. I want you to vote for Richard Nixon, the one man who can unify our nation and bring us back to real prosperity. The President has shown judgment during tough calls. He's uniquely prepared to be our commander-in-chief and we can't afford a sudden change of course. Ed Muskie may have been in the Senate for a while, but writing bills and voting on them doesn't prepare you for a job of this caliber. We have seen tough times in this country for the last few years, there is no denying that. But, we have to ask ourselves: Who has the know-how to bring us back and make us stronger than ever? Richard Nixon has that vision, ladies and gentlemen.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies