Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:16:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy) (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)  (Read 108183 times)
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2015, 08:18:50 PM »
« edited: October 10, 2015, 04:21:31 PM by Spiral »

Sam Yorty Campaign Schedule: May 7-23

May 7
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Bluefield, WV
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Vienna, WV
-Barnstorming and GOTV in St. Albans, WV
-Barnstorming and GOTV in South Charleston, WV
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Teays Valley, WV

I'm proud to have earned the endorsement of your good senator, Robert Byrd. He was actually one of the very first people to endorse this campaign, and he's been an incredible surrogate. If you listen to him, you'll see that this election is actually quite simple. There's only been one candidate from the very beginning speaking up about the real issues. Take it from Senator Byrd: Sam Yorty is going to fight for you all! Can I count on your support in two days?

May 8
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Clarksburg, WV
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Beckley, WV
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Martinsburg, WV
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Fairmont, WV
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Weirton, WV

West Virginia, I’m one of the only candidates who is against busing. Senator Harris supports it, Senator McGovern supports it, and Senator Muskie supports it. These are not the people who would be representing you if they ever got to the White House. We need leaders with guts who will stand up against ridiculous and dangerous ideas like forced busing, for the sake of our children and of our communities. Will you support me tomorrow night?

May 9
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Wheeling, WV
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Parkersburg, WV
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Morgantown, WV
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Hutington, WV
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Charleston, WV

Senator Harris has revealed himself recently. First he was completely for busing, then he denied he supported it, and now he's going back to supporting it! What can I say, really? It's clear that Senator Harris is just another politician who says one thing and says another the next day. There's no straight talk coming out of his mouth, only a bunch of lying garbage. I know there are those of you out there who are considering voting for Harris tonight, but I implore you to look at his record. If he can't be honest about where he stands on one issue like busing, just as a candidate, then how can you really trust him if he ever gets the power of the presidency? I for one won't let that happen, and that's part of why I'm in this race. I need your support tonight, West Virginia, because we can win if we stand together!

May 10
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Pontiac, MI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Taylor, MI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Troy, MI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Flint, MI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Lansing, MI

May 11
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Ann Arbor, MI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Sterling Heights, MI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Warren, MI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Grand Rapids, MI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Detroit, MI

Michigan realizes that they’re getting screwed over by the bigwigs in Washington who are completely disconnected from reality. The only things that those politicians care about is getting reelected and getting their paychecks. You really think they give a hoot about you personally? No, you’re their pawns! This election, you got to stand up to these people and scream, “Enough is enough!”

May 12
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Commerce, MI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in East Lansing, MI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Wyoming, MI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Kalamazoo, MI
-Barnstorming and GOTV in St. Clair Shores, MI

May 13
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Towson, MD
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Bethesda, MD
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Gaithersburg, MD
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Glen Burnie, MD
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Silver Spring, MD

Governor Wallace has tried to distort my record. He has not run an honorable campaign so far, and even though we share many similarities, we must also recognize this: Governor Wallace cannot win. He has no room for growth anymore because he’s already universally known from 1968. We need to pick a nominee who will not only represent you but who also has a fighting chance against President Nixon in November. When the alternatives for the nomination are people like George McGovern, the costs are too great to pick the wrong choice this year.

May 14
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Frederick, MD
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Germantown, MD
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Columbia, MD
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Chillum, MD
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Baltimore, MD

May 15
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Milford Mill, MD
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Olney, MD
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Clinton, MD
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Bel Air South, MD
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Waldorf, MD

Maryland, you should know that what Mr. Wallace is proposing is way too extreme for this state and the rest of the nation. Repeatedly, he’s said that he’s in favor of nationalization. This is what the Soviets have done to their country! He’s talked about nationalizing our natural resources, healthcare, and transportation to name a few sectors. When I confronted him about this and saying he’s in favor of capitalism at the same time, he had no answer. This should tell you everything, Maryland. Reject extremists like Governor Wallace and go for someone who’s speaking some sense.

May 16
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Spokane Valley, WA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Everett, WA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Vancouver, WA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Tacoma, WA
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Seattle, WA

May 17
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Bethany, OR
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Altamont, OR
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Ashland, OR
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Tualatin, OR
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Grants Pass, OR

May 18
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Keizer, OR
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Springfield, OR
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Aloha, OR
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Bend, OR
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Beaverton, OR

We should be very wary about what comes out of the President's visit to China. China's leader, Mao Zedong, is, after all, a brutal dictator who has killed millions and millions of his own people. China is a good example if anything of the dangers of communism, just like the USSR: mass starvation, human rights abuses, and authoritarian leadership. Extending an olive branch to the communists without pushing concessions just gives those states legitimacy. If I'm President, you're going to see a tougher stance on China than what Nixon is up to. If we're not careful, China could dominate us in the future.

May 19
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Hillsboro, OR
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Gresham, OR
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Eugene, OR
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Salem, Or
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Portland, OR

May 20
-Rally and Voter Registration in Roseville, CA
-Rally and Voter Registration in Orange, CA
-Rally and Voter Registration in Berkeley, CA
-Rally and Voter Registration in Fairfield, CA
-Fundraiser in Los Angeles, CA

California, I’m going to need your support more than ever in a few weeks! The nomination can be ours, but we need to win in this state first. My campaign is sending out material to all of you out here about what you can do to get involved and be organized for primary night. Together, California, we can make a difference in this country!

May 21
-Rally and Voter Registration in Burbank, CA
-Rally and Voter Registration in Hawthorne, CA
-Rally and Voter Registration in Simi Valley, CA
-Rally and Voter Registration in Ontario, CA
-Fundraiser in San Francisco, CA

May 22
-Town Hall in Elsmere, KY
-Town Hall in Fort Knox, KY
-Rally and Voter Registration in Richmond, KY
-Rally and Voter Registration in Frankfort, KY
-Fundraiser in Louisville, KY

While I'm not originally from the South, a good many voters have called me an honorary Southern guy! I take that as a great compliment coming from y'all. I've got with here here today the legendary Happy Chandler, who's been your governor, senator, and was one hell of a baseball player in his prime! He was one of the very first folks to endorse me many months ago, and he's been terrific helping me out. If you ask me, ladies and gentlemen, Happy Chandler's words are gold, and if he says you should consider voting for me, that's a compelling reason to already.

May 23
-Town Hall in Beebe, AR
-Town Hall in Hope, AR
-Rally and Voter Registration in Benton, AR
-Rally and Voter Registration in Jacksonville, AR
-Fundraiser in Little Rock, AR
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2015, 08:26:12 PM »

Campaign Activities

-Aggressive fundraising in California, New York, Florida, Illinois, Texas, Michigan, Ohio, Virginia, and North Carolina
-Contacting new donors in California, New York, Florida, Texas, Virginia, Michigan, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and New Jersey
-Opening new campaign offices in Arkansas, Kentucky, California, New York, New Jersey, Texas, and Colorado
-Greatly expanding campaign offices in California, New York, Texas, and New Jersey
-Hiring staff/recruiting volunteers in Arkansas, Kentucky, California, Texas, New Jersey, and New York
-Expansion of direct mail advertising in Arkansas, Kentucky, California, Nevada, New Jersey, Texas, Colorado, and New York

The Yorty campaign will file for the New York primary.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2015, 11:56:48 PM »

Does Wallace even have any money for ads after last turn?
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2015, 01:26:10 AM »

Muskie Debate Performance

"My plan differs from the other candidates, because my plan is actually a plan. With our combat forces in Vietnam pulled down to a minimum, our defense spending will naturally go down to much more reasonable levels. I am by no means calling for drastic cuts into our military. Our brave service members deserve the best, and with my plan, funds would continue to go towards ensuring our boys are the best equipped, best trained, and best protected out there. Frankly, some of my colleagues proposals on this stage are simply untenable. Calling for more military action is simply ridiculous and would only seek to increase our already ballooning national deficit."

May I respond to this? Senator Muskie, I don't take our national security lightly at all, and I hope you don't either. The fact of the matter is that we are currently facing the greatest threat to global peace since the Second World War. Communism is a great evil and it has spread to multiple countries, and many more to come if things keep going their way. Why shouldn't the military be bolstered and ready for action if, say, the Soviets make some sudden hostile advances? You should know that these communists are relentless and aren't afraid to use force against the enemy. I want to devote more resources toward making our military the best far and away in the world. We shouldn't be timid in defending our interests, and in dangerous times like these, we have every reason to make sure that we're prepared for the worst. Judging by what you're saying, you want it both ways. The only problem is that it doesn't work like that!
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2015, 12:52:57 PM »

"Certainly, I do not take our national security lightly, Mayor. I served in uniform for three years during the Second World War. In 1971, we spent nearly $400 billion on the defense budget. Our men in uniform are already the best trained and best equipped in the world, and our military is the envy of every other nation. You are advocating for a United States which is the policeman of the world, defending whatever our interests may be with boots on the ground. We have already lost too many lives in the war in Vietnam, and yet now, you are advocating for even more military action. Where would the next quagmire be? A central African state overrun by rebels? The jungles of Indonesia where communists are rumored to be hiding? We must defend our interests, no one on this stage is denying that. But, we must do it in a smart and whenever possible diplomatic way. And frankly, your advocacy of a foreign policy more aggressive than that of Genghis Khan, is disturbing, particularly for a leading contender for our nomination."

First of all, I respect and thank you for your service to the country. However, with all due respect, calling my foreign policy more aggressive than Genghis Khan's borders on slander. Genghis Khan and his men raped and pillaged entire villages and countries. If you really think that's what I'm calling for, then you're not acting like a serious candidate for President. My foreign policy is quite simple: we have a duty to defend our country's interests and we must do what we can to halt the spread of communism. I'm not advocating unilateral actions all of the time, either; I think it's quite important that we partner up with our allies to advance common goals when it's appropriate. What you don't seem to understand now is that communist infiltration of different states does pose a threat to our national security, because the communists' ultimate goal is to destroy the West as we know it. You voted for going into Vietnam, Ed! Why did you vote that way to begin with? Clearly you thought we had reason to.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2015, 08:04:09 PM »

Sam Yorty GOTV Strategy: One Hectic May

Sam Yorty and his campaign are working around the clock to earn a score of victories in May as well as to maximize their delegate wins, continuing the momentum from late April to early May as Yorty surged to the lead in delegates. To achieve these goals, the following general actions are being taken in all of the primaries and caucuses this turn:

-Targeting undecided voters, highlighting Yorty’s independent streak and willingness to “speak the truth” on law and order along with other issues
-Targeting blue collar voters in urban and suburban areas, highlighting the economy, labor issues, law and order, and Vietnam
-Targeting ethnic voters statewide, highlighting the economy, labor issues, law and order, and Vietnam
-Targeting white collar voters in urban areas, highlighting the economy, education, and law and order
-Targeting low-income voters across the state (especially in rural areas), highlighting the economy, education, and healthcare
-Targeting union members across the state, highlighting labor, the economy, education, and healthcare
-Targeting veterans and those currently serving across the state, highlighting a muscular foreign policy and new attention on veterans' affairs
-Targeting moderate and conservative Democrats, citing Yorty's positions on law and order, the economy, and foreign policy
-Targeting disaffected Democrats across the state who normally don't vote
-Targeting Republicans to vote in the Democratic primaries, highlighting Yorty as the candidate with the greatest crossover appeal
-Persuading Muskie supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Muskie as "just another politician" and showcasing Yorty as a similar moderate Democrat
-Persuading Harris supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Harris for his extreme anti-war views on Vietnam and pointing to Yorty as the more "genuine" champion of issues such as labor, education, healthcare, etc.
-Persuading Wallace supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Wallace for his flip-flopping on issues and portraying as a "figure of the past," while pulling them in on issues such as busing, law and order, Vietnam, and labor

For specific states being targeted, the following actions are also underway for GOTV:

Nebraska
-Pummel McGovern as weak on national security and a danger to the fabric of the nation
-Pummel Harris as a flip-flopper and Washington insider who supports busing and is out of touch with voters
-Pummel Wallace as a radical who supports nationalization and has no chance to win
-Take in Muskie voters who acknowledge their candidate has very little chance of winning the primary
-Actively recruit Germans
-Actively recruit farmers
-Push for a strong performance (>15%)

West Virginia
-Greatly use Sen. Robert Byrd as a surrogate, attacking Harris and Wallace
-Pummel Harris as a flip-flopper and Washington insider who supports busing and is out of touch with voters
-Pummel Wallace as a radical who supports nationalization and has no chance to win
-Take in Muskie voters who acknowledge their candidate has very little chance of winning the primary
-Actively recruit coal miners to the campaign
-Actively recruit Evangelicals, citing Yorty as a family values candidate
-Aggressively push for a victory (to steal Harris's thunder)

Michigan
-Pummel Harris as a flip-flopper and Washington insider who is out of touch with voters
-Pummel Muskie as a flip-flopping has-been whose time in the campaign is up
-Actively recruit union members
-Actively recruit Evangelicals, citing Yorty as a family values candidate
-Actively recruit Polish voters
-Aggressively push for a clear victory

Maryland
-Pummel Harris as a flip-flopper and Washington insider who is out of touch with voters
-Aggressively recruit union members
-Actively recruit Catholics, citing Yorty as a family values candidate
-Actively recruit Italians
-Aggressively push for a victory (to steal Wallace and McGovern's thunder)

Washington
-Pummel McGovern as weak on national security and a danger to the fabric of the nation
-Actively recruit Asians
-Push for a strong performance (>20%)

Oregon
-Actively recruit Asians
-Actively recruit Scandinavians
-Push for a strong performance (>20%)

For this turn, the Yorty campaign is going negative and trying to bring down the other candidates by exposing their flaws. With increasing pressure on Yorty following him taking the lead in delegates, the campaign acknowledges it must be more aggressive with its opponents in order to stay considerably ahead. Fred Harris is spun as a covert insider whose words can't be trusted, George Wallace as a big-government extremist who is completely unelectable, and Ed Muskie and a washed-up career politician whose time has passed long ago. With the recent debate, the campaign has been spinning Yorty's performance afterward as a breath of fresh air who's unafraid to stand up for his beliefs. After all of the work that the campaign has done these past few weeks, they hope and expect Yorty to come out dominant and with additional momentum going into the California primary.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2015, 08:41:17 PM »

TV Ad: People on the Street

We asked regular people on the street what they think about Mayor Sam Yorty.

“Oh, he’s a fighter! And he’s feisty!”

“The guy is honest, and I can’t say that about most politicians.”

“He’s got real courage to stand up and not be like all the other candidates.”

“I don’t agree with him all the time, but at least I know he’s actually fighting for people like me.”

“He cares about people. He wants to protect me and my family.”

“You can tell he’s an independent thinker. No one has bought him out.”

“We need more leaders who have conviction, so that’s why I’m supporting him.”

The verdict is clear: Sam Yorty fights for people like you.

TV Ad: Flip-Flopping Fred

Fred Harris says he's a straight talker, but his talking says otherwise. Just look at the issue of busing.

"I stand firmly behind the policy of busing. [. . .] Busing is part of the big picture of general societal integration and ending racism." --February 1972

"I've never said I support nationwide busing. Busing is an inefficient way to do things." --April 1972

"Something needs to be done. I personally believe in busing as part of a broader solution." --May 1972

With Flip-Flopping Fred all over the place, no wonder voters are confused!

If his words can't be trusted on the campaign trail, how can they be trusted in the White House?

TV: Senator Byrd Speaks

Good evening, fellow West Virginians. This is your senator Robert Byrd speaking. I'm here to talk to you about an important choice you'll be making in a couple of days. You have a fellow from Oklahoma who calls himself an outsider but is part of the Washington establishment, and he can't be straight with the American people on where he stands. You also have a rather rambunctious gentleman from Alabama who calls for policies that the Soviets would like! If you aren't happy with these choices, I don't blame ya. But there is an alternative. A man of honor, integrity, and spirit. I'm talking, of course, about my friend Sam Yorty. If you want real change, then I encourage you to vote for Mr. Yorty on the 9th. Thank y'all, and God bless.

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2015, 09:03:04 PM »

Sam Yorty Surrogates

Jimmie Davis: Barnstorming and GOTV in WV, MI, MD
John McKeithen: Barnstorming and GOTV in WV, NE, MD
Harry F. Byrd, Jr.: Barnstorming and GOTV in WV, NE, KY
Mills E. Goodwin, Jr.: Barnstorming and GOTV in MI, MD, OR
Sam Ervin: Barnstorming and GOTV in WV, MD, AR
James F. Byrnes: Barnstorming and GOTV in MI, MD, OR
William Loeb: Barnstorming and GOTV in MI, MD, OR, WA
W. Haydon Burns: Barnstorming and GOTV in MI, MD, NE, WA
Otto Kerner, Jr.: Barnstorming and GOTV in MI, MD, OR, WA
John W. King: Barnstorming and GOTV in NE, MI, MD, OR
Ross Perot: Fundraising in TX, CA
Happy Chandler: Barnstorming and GOTV in MI, NE, KY
Robert Byrd: Barnstorming and GOTV in WV
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2015, 09:12:44 PM »

Statement from the Yorty Campaign

Following the recent debate, Senator Muskie has officially disqualified himself from the nomination. By comparing Mayor Yorty to a brutal tyrant like Genghis Khan, Muskie has raised the standards for hyperbole to new levels. It's clear that the increasingly desperate Muskie campaign wants to claim any oxygen it can get, but its supply is almost gone. For Senator Muskie's own sake, he should withdraw from the race to avoid further embarrassing himself.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #109 on: October 11, 2015, 12:28:33 AM »

"And would you not say that what we are doing in Vietnam has any comparison at all to past atrocities? The unnecessary bombing of civilians, the unnecessary killing of civilians, these are war crimes, and these are things that your foreign policy would breed. I am not comparing you to Genghis Khan, I think you realize that Sam. It was a comparison. And, I'm glad you brought up my vote for Vietnam. I thought at the time that we were defending a democratic state in southeast Asia, however, it quickly became clear that our government had no regard for democracy in South Vietnam, as time and time again, we supported repressive autocracies, and frankly, American lives should not be spent protecting a dictatorship."

OTL: Loving this exchange, though I'll end it here.

Ed, do you really think that I believe the war in Vietnam has gone smoothly? No, of course not! We've seen a great deal of incompetence coming from the administration and I've been just as quick to criticize their actions as the rest of you have. The only difference I have with you is that stopping communism is a priority under my administration. For the audience at home, I'd like to relay a story of mine. Back in 1940, I boldly stood up and advocated for declaring war on Hitler's Germany. That didn't come through at the time, but we soon learned what great evils the Third Reich was capable of, and we ultimately did the right thing in getting involved in World War II. Why do I mention this story? Because I'm just as certain of the evils of the communists today as I was of the fascists of yesterday. If we don't act, then we may regret what's to come. We as leaders of this country have got to stand up and defend life, liberty, and happiness, because if we don't, it may all go away in the blink of an eye.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #110 on: October 11, 2015, 12:50:36 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, Senator, I thank you for your compliments about me. However, you didn't answer my question, really. You've laid out no clear strategy for our foreign policy. So, we leave Vietnam, and then what? How many countries would you let fall under communist rule in the next decade? How would you respond to the Soviets who are feeling more emboldened as of late? And what about the Chinese, who are beginning to become a major force in world politics? These are questions that the voters deserve to have answered, and so far, all I've seen of your record leads me to believe that the US would be greatly diminished as a superpower and other countries will push us over. This is an increasingly dangerous world and we need steady leadership to keep us safe from all threats, foreign and domestic.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2015, 05:29:45 PM »

If it's not too burdensome for you, may you do favorability numbers for all of the Democrats? That's something I've been curious about for a while.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2015, 05:37:33 PM »

General election map?

It would be cool if you could possibly make two, one with Nixon vs. a conservative (Wallace, Yorty, etc.) and the other with Nixon vs. a liberal (McGovern, Muskie, etc.)

Thanks! Cheesy

Map-making is a lot of effort and Lumine has already been doing so much. If anything, generic poll match-ups would be the way to go here.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2015, 02:40:18 PM »

Report: Yorty Campaign Claims Key Supporters from Muskie, Harris in California

Leading up to the climactic California primary, a winner-take-all contest with over 300 delegates at stake, Sam Yorty has received a much needed boost. Reports on the ground in California have surfaced that the campaigns for Edmund Muskie and Fred Harris have ceded the state and are winding down operations over there, focusing on other, more competitive primaries instead. In the wake of this development, the campaign for the Los Angeles mayor has scooped up many supporters from these rival campaigns. Already the most organized campaign in the state by far, the Yorty operation has been further bolstered by a large number of volunteers ready to bring out the vote statewide. Further appeals are now actively being made to Muskie and Harris supporters in the state, convincing them to back Yorty in an effort to block George McGovern from becoming the Democratic nominee. Yorty is being spun as the one moderate candidate with a viable chance to defeat the hard-left McGovern in this consequential primary. With California being so important for Yorty's chances, less attention is being paid to other upcoming contests such as Colorado and New Mexico. For the mayor, his home state is a must-win and would propel him to the nomination should he come out in first place.

[Note: I've received permission from both YPestis and VPH to do this.]
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2015, 02:41:38 PM »

What time is this turn ending tonight?
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2015, 07:46:10 PM »

Fundraising Letter from Mayor Yorty

Dear supporters,

We have reached a critical point in the primaries. We are entering the last month with hundreds of delegates left to grab, including more than 300 alone in the all-or-nothing California contest.

Thanks to your support so far, this campaign has far exceeded the media's expectations as well as all of my opponents. Not only have we won multiple states in every region of the country, but we are also currently leading in delegates! This is incredible, but our work is not done yet.

That's why I'm counting on you.

To remain competitive across the board, we need all of the funds we can get to run advertising and to build up our organization. That's why I'm personally asking all of you to pitch in and contribute whatever you can to the campaign. Even the smallest dollar amount can make a difference in a race as tight as this one.

It's going to take a lot of hard work, but with continued momentum and high morale we will come out stronger than all the rest. The media has tried to bring down this campaign countless times to no avail. Now, let's prove to the nation that we have what it takes to win the nomination and enter the White House!

Mayor Sam Yorty
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2015, 08:15:27 PM »

PICTURED: Sam Yorty makes a stop in Los Angeles to play the banjo for charity.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2015, 08:19:34 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2015, 08:38:31 PM by Spiral »

Sam Yorty Campaign Schedule: May 24-29 (Part 1/2)

May 24
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Bryant, AR
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Forrest City, AR
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Siloam Springs, AR
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Van Buren, AR
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Paragould, AR

I've been fighting for people like you since the very beginning of this campaign. Let it be known that my competitors at the beginning were sounding nothing like me. Now with a few shakeups and some new entries, we've seen that change. But what I reckon all of you are looking for is someone who's been in the trenches from day one and who has never wavered in his beliefs. If you're looking for a principled man to lead this nation in the White House, then I'm your choice this election. I ask that you consider caucusing for my campaign later this week, because with your support, we can make a real difference.

May 25
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Florence, KY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Owensboro, KY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Bowling Green, KY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Lexington, KY
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Louisville, KY

I accepted Senator Harris’s apology earlier about the tone of the campaign. I agree, things have been getting really ugly as of late. Now, I’m not afraid to debate the record, and Senator Harris should be called out like any other politician if it’s necessary, but I won’t stoop down to personal attacks. Make no mistake: this campaign is about the issues. On the issues, we will win. Let’s give them one hell of a showing here, Kentucky!

May 26
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Egg Harbor, NJ
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Evesham, NJ
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Plainfield, NJ
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Howell, NJ
-Barnstorming and GOTV in West New York, NJ

Good day, New Jersey! It’s going to take a lot of work to get to where we want to be, but I’m confident that our campaign and all of our volunteers in this state can make a great difference when you go vote on the 30th. Will you help us in the fight to take back this country from the Washington establishment?

May 27
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Bloomfield, NJ
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Hoboken, NJ
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Berkeley, NJ
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Vineland, NJ
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Gloucester, NJ

May 28
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Jackson, NJ
-Barnstorming and GOTV in East Orange, NJ
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Old Bridge, NJ
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Camden, NJ
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Trenton, NJ

Labor knows that they’ve got a friend in me. I was endorsed by the head of the AFL-CIO, Mr. Meany, earlier this month, which I greatly appreciate. We’ve made great stride in expanding union rights over the past century, but more work needs to be done. That starts with fresh leadership in the White House. We can’t have the status quo in charge and expect new results. What we need is an outsider. I’ve been outside Washington working to improve my city of Los Angeles, and we’ve accomplished a lot during my time as mayor. Now it’s time to take it one step further. I want to be your next president, and I’m hoping that I can count on your support tomorrow.

May 29
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Toms River, NJ
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Elizabeth, NJ
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Paterson, NJ
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Jersey City, NJ
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Newark, NJ
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2015, 08:26:03 PM »

Sam Yorty Campaign Schedule: May 30-June 6 (Part 2/2)

California Dreamin'

May 30
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Indio, CA (Focus: poverty in America and how Washington can address it)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Livermore, CA (Focus: stagnant wages and taking questions from workers)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Hawthorne, CA (Focus: the fight against communism and how you can help)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in San Marcos, CA (Focus: improving education in our public schools)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Vista, CA (Focus: reviving fiscal responsibility in government)

President Nixon's promises to raise wages and living standards for all Americans have been an absolute sham! What kind of progress have we seen in the economy since Nixon took office? He claimed that one of his top goals was to reduce inflation, but since he was so interested in futile peace talks over in Vietnam, he forgot about helping people in this country! When he pretended like he was going to help out American workers, he installed wage and price controls that only exacerbated the problem. If you think that kind of government intervention helps anyone, then you're living in a different world than the rest of us. We have to encourage private enterprise to grow and to provide more opportunities for jobs, but we, the government, cannot be the ones making the big decisions from the top and expect that all will go well.

May 31
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Compton, CA (Focus: stopping inner-city crime and the community’s involvement)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Burbank, CA (Focus: reforming the tax code and encouraging innovation)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Clovis, CA (Focus: taking questions from audience members)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Carlsbad, CA (Focus: the importance of the community)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Downey, CA (Focus: stopping domestic terrorism and keeping Americans safe)

Who has talked about the crime epidemic from the beginning? Who is the one addressing the hard truths and providing solutions? Who stands firm even while he has been condemned by his many opponents? That would be me, and, folks, I'm not giving up this fight because I know that the next president has to do something about this crime wave! While our leaders have failed us time and time again and have allowed criminals to roam the streets, these leaders of ours have put all of us in more risk. This cannot stand if we are to have a safe and prosperous society. In this primary, it's crucial that you vote for your best interests. Who will protect you? Who will look out for you? And who will put you in even more danger if you make the wrong choice?

June 1
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Inglewood, CA (Focus: protecting the nation’s agriculture industry)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Vallejo, CA (Focus: improving and expanding the nation’s infrastructure, using L.A. as an example)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Downey, CA (Focus: the incompetence of Washington, D.C.)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Simi Valley, CA (Focus: taking questions from audience members)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in South Gate, CA (Focus: how to strengthen family values)

Here in California and across the nation, we've got to place more attention on improving and expanding our infrastructure. Eisenhower led the charge on the Interstate Highway System 20 years ago, and for that we're all better off for it. However, we've got to be just as ambitious now in the 1970s and beyond. This isn't just me talking either, folks: I've done it! Back in my home city of Los Angeles, I aggressively pushed to expand the freeway network around the area. We got that through, and because of that expansion, Los Angeles has seen tremendous growth over the past 10 years with more access to opportunities. I want to do what I've done in Los Angeles for the rest of the country now, but I can't do it without your help! Will you support me on primary night?

June 2
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Torrence, CA (Focus: the dangers of the pacifists)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Fullerton, CA (Focus: balancing budgets and good fiscal sense)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Salinas, CA (Focus: out-of-touch politicians running the country)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Elk Grove, CA (Focus: taking care of our veterans)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Oceanside, CA (Focus: taking questions from audience members)

The facts are the facts. We have plenty of Washington insiders running for the nomination, and if you know anything about typical politicians like them, they're no good! All they want from you is their vote and then they're happy. But do you think they'll actually do much good for you, an average American? That's far from their greatest concern. When you're stuck up in D.C. for too long, you begin to lose your mind. You don't know right from wrong. I was in Congress briefly and it didn't work out for me, so I happily returned back to this state. What's the difference between me and them? While I've done real work in Los Angeles bettering the city, these guys have been flapping their mouths and accomplishing next to nothing! Some of my opponents attack me for not having the Washington experience that they do, but I consider that a good thing!

June 3
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Glendale, CA (Focus: strengthening the military and defending America)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Fontana, CA (Focus: fighting for union rights)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in San Bernadino, CA (Focus: the decline of manufacturing and how to reverse the trend)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Anaheim, CA (Focus: taking questions from audience members)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Bakersfield, CA (Focus: stopping McGovern from winning the nomination)

Ever since my earliest days in politics, my constituents have known where I've stood on labor. I've been one of labor's biggest supporters because I know the good that they do for families like yours who want to live out their lives. From my time as a state assemblyman, I've pushed for shortening the workweek, busting sweatshops, and increasing pensions. I've met plenty of enemies both in big business and in government and they've tried to slander my name, but I've stood tall and came out beating them all. I've also been endorsed by the chair of the AFL-CIO last week, so there's no debate about where I stand. Now, I'll ask: Who's going to look out better for you and your family than Sam Yorty here? I know we can do more, but I'm going to need your help in the primary if we're to do that!

June 4
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Long Beach, CA (Focus: improving the nation’s healthcare and lowering costs)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Chula Vista, CA (Focus: stopping the crime epidemic and punishing criminals)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Oakland, CA (Focus: a sensible monetary policy for America)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Irvine, CA (Focus: putting the spotlight on working people in the country)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Oxnard, CA (Focus: taking questions from audience members)

You all in the audience are the backbone that makes this country what it is. For that, you should be proud of yourselves. While you guys in Middle America are doing your part, though, I'm sorry to say that our leaders in government have completely failed us. We have seen more crime, more turmoil, and less trust especially in these last few years, and it's all because the people we've voted in have failed to keep their promises. I say it's time that they go on the unemployment line for a while, eh? Working people like yourself have gone through all of the hardships while the people above us have done next to nothing! Am I going to stand here and be okay with that? Hell no! Neither should you! On the ballot box, we've got to send a clear signal to them that things are about to change.

June 5
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Long Beach, CA (Focus: rally for unions and fighting for labor from day one)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Sacramento, CA (Focus: bringing back good jobs to the country)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Riverside, CA (Focus: projecting American strength around the world)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Modesto, CA (Focus: standing up against big party bosses for years)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Huntington Beach, CA (Focus: why “Acid, Amnesty and Abortion” is wrong for America)

California, will we let Mr. "Acid, Amnesty and Abortion" become the Democratic nominee and tear this party to shreds? Will we allow someone with hardcore left-wing ideals to represent us in November and make us all look like fringe nutjobs? Senator McGovern has not bothered to properly explain himself even when faced with the label directly in the last debate. That, to me, is quite telling. Not only is Senator McGovern an unelectable extremist, but he’s terribly out of touch with the American people. If he thinks that his ideas are going to appeal to a large swath of voters, then he’s gravely mistaken. In this state, tomorrow you have a great choice to make. If someone like McGovern wins, then he’ll bring down the entire party with him. If you vote for me, then you’ll be sure that we’ll beat President Nixon and enter the White House. It’s all up to you, my fellow Californians!

June 6
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Stockton, CA (Focus: protecting communities and defending family values)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Fresno, CA (Focus: stopping radicals from upending American society)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in San Jose, CA (Focus: highlighting populist values for over 40 years)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in San Diego, CA (Focus: the importance of defeating McGovern in the primaries)
-Barnstorming and GOTV in Los Angeles, CA (Focus: final hometown rally to drive maximum turnout)

My fellow citizens of Los Angeles, I’ve been your mayor for over a decade. During that time we’ve come to know each other well, through the good times as well as the hardships. There is no doubt, though, that the city has come out for the better over these last ten years, and I’m proud of all that we have accomplished together. Now I am asking for your help again, Los Angeles. You and the rest of the state have an important choice to make tonight. Will we allow George McGovern to let his radical brand of politics take over this party and tear us apart? Shall we just sit on our hands while our country gets worse and nothing gets better? Or, are we going to be bold and fight for our country? I’m running to cure our ills and make our society a strong one again, in all respects. This can’t be done without your help, though. California, we must succeed here, and I’m counting on you to put this country back in the right direction!
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #119 on: October 15, 2015, 08:56:54 PM »

A Message from AFL-CIO President George Meany

Good evening, my fellow Americans.

If you're like me, you know this country is in trouble. Our leaders have failed to serve the very people who brought them into office in the first place. If things keep going the way we are, we are heading toward dark times.

This isn't to say that we can't reverse this. We have someone running for President this year whom I know will do a fantastic job, and his name is Sam Yorty.

Mayor Yorty has devoted his entire career to serving the people. He's been at the forefront of defending labor against big business for the last 40 years, and he's shown an unflinching sense of integrity. With him, you know where he stands and he won't buck under pressure.

Mayor Yorty has also shown that he is willing and able to defend the United States and what it stands for. While our enemies threaten us abroad and we're engulfed in violence here at home, he's the one candidate who will do what is necessary to keep us safe.

On behalf of the AFL-CIO, I fully support Mayor Yorty for the Democratic nomination. If you're just as concerned about the country as I am, then it's your duty to make a change. That starts with electing a new president.

* Note: The AFL-CIO will be running this advertisement, not the Yorty campaign. Ad buys are particularly concentrated in the states of California, New Jersey, Texas, and New York.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #120 on: October 15, 2015, 09:31:02 PM »

Sam Yorty GOTV Strategy: California Love

This turn, the Yorty campaign is dead set on one thing first and foremost: winning the California primary. Surrogates are spread all across California along with other states such as Arkansas, Kentucky, and New Jersey. Below, the following actions are being executed for all primaries and caucuses this turn:

-Targeting undecided voters, highlighting Yorty’s independent streak and willingness to “speak the truth” on law and order along with other issues
-Targeting blue collar voters in urban and suburban areas, highlighting the economy, labor issues, law and order, and Vietnam
-Targeting ethnic voters statewide, highlighting the economy, labor issues, law and order, and Vietnam
-Targeting white collar voters in urban areas, highlighting the economy, education, and law and order
-Targeting low-income voters across the state (especially in rural areas), highlighting the economy, education, and healthcare
-Targeting union members across the state, highlighting labor, the economy, education, and healthcare
-Targeting veterans and those currently serving across the state, highlighting a muscular foreign policy and new attention on veterans' affairs
-Targeting moderate and conservative Democrats, citing Yorty's positions on law and order, the economy, and foreign policy
-Targeting disaffected Democrats across the state who normally don't vote
-Targeting Republicans to vote in the Democratic primaries, highlighting Yorty as the candidate with the greatest crossover appeal
-Persuading Muskie supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Muskie as "just another politician" and showcasing Yorty as a similar moderate Democrat
-Persuading Harris supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Harris for his extreme anti-war views on Vietnam and pointing to Yorty as the more "genuine" champion of issues such as labor, education, healthcare, etc.
-Persuading Wallace supporters to switch to Yorty, criticizing Wallace for his flip-flopping on issues and portraying as a "figure of the past," while pulling them in on issues such as busing, law and order, Vietnam, and labor

For specific states, the following actions are being conducted:

California
-Cover surrogates in all parts of the state
-Pummel McGovern as a far-left extremist out of touch with the American people and completely unelectable
-Consolidate support from Harris, Muskie, and Wallace in the state with the common thread of being the only viable candidate to stop McGovern
-Heavily rally in hometown of Los Angeles and hold unprecedented levels of turnout
-Target Asians
-Target Hispanics
-Target farmers
-Target Catholics
-Target Mormons
-Highlight George Meany's endorsement
-Aggressively push for a victory

Arkansas
-Attack Wallace as too extreme and in support of nationalization
-Attack Harris for flip-flopping on the busing issue
-Target Evangelicals
-Target Southern Baptists
-Target farmers
-Push for a victory

Kentucky
-Target Evangelicals
-Target Southern Baptists
-Target farmers
-Target coal miners
-Push for a victory

New Jersey
-Attack Muskie for being a flip-flopping Washington politician
-Target union members
-Target Catholics
-Target Baptists
-Push for a strong performance (>15%, winning delegates)

Colorado
-Highlight Yorty's Western appeal statewide
-Target Protestants
-Target Mormons
-Target Hispanics
-Push for a strong performance (>15%, winning delegates)

Nevada
-Highlight Yorty's Western appeal
-Target Hispanics
-Target poor rural voters
-Push for delegates

New Mexico
-Highlight Yorty's Western appeal
-Target Hispanics
-Target poor rural voters
-Push for delegates

When all is said and done, assuming Yorty wins California alone, he will have already picked up more than half of the delegates this turn. Following California, the largest priorities are Arkansas and Kentucky, where victories are quite feasible. New Jersey, a state that has Yorty polling lower, has had its ground game heavily boosted since George Meany's endorsement, and an aggressive effort in that state is also expected to yield a decent amount of delegates.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #121 on: October 15, 2015, 09:32:41 PM »

Campaign Activities

-Aggressive fundraising in California, New York, Florida, Illinois, Texas, Michigan, Ohio, Virginia, and North Carolina
-Contacting new donors in California, New York, Florida, Texas, Virginia, Michigan, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and New Jersey
-Hiring staff/recruiting volunteers in Texas and New York
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #122 on: October 15, 2015, 10:25:52 PM »

Sam Yorty Surrogates

Jimmie Davis: Barnstorming and GOTV in AR, KY
John McKeithen: Barnstorming and GOTV in AR, KY, NM
Harry F. Byrd, Jr.: Barnstorming and GOTV in AR, KY, NV
Mills E. Goodwin, Jr.: Barnstorming and GOTV in CA, NJ, CO