The Convention for Agreement on Regional Consolidation in Atlasia (Voting) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:41:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Convention for Agreement on Regional Consolidation in Atlasia (Voting) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Convention for Agreement on Regional Consolidation in Atlasia (Voting)  (Read 7053 times)
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« on: July 28, 2015, 04:43:48 AM »

I suggest holding referendums in the Midwest and Pacific to consolidate them. They would probably agree to that. Then we'll see what 4 regions would do for us, and if that doesn't work, I'd jump on the bandwagon/fire engine for 3 regions as well.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 04:32:10 PM »

I suggest holding referendums in the Midwest and Pacific to consolidate them. They would probably agree to that. Then we'll see what 4 regions would do for us, and if that doesn't work, I'd jump on the bandwagon/fire engine for 3 regions as well.
Well,
Just to be clear,
This "convention" isn't only for three regions maps, you will be able to propose four regions maps if you wish to and advocate for it.

In that case:

X Leinad

Why not? It's a chance to change things; hopefully for the better.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 01:03:37 AM »

I'd like 2, 4, or 6. Or simply just merging the Midwest and Pacific into a West region.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 12:53:07 AM »

Everyone seems to like 2, 4, and 6.

Let me break that down a little bit here:

Each map has three (3) regions. Basically: west, north/northeast, and south/southeast.

States which are in each region in all 3 maps:

West: Current Pacific, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, and Kansas.

North: Current Northeast (minus Delaware), Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Michigan.

South: Current South, Virginia, Missouri, Kentucky, Oklahoma, and West Virginia.

Now, as far as substantive differences are concerned, these 3 maps have different fates for Minnesota-Iowa (grouped together) and Maryland-Delaware-DC (also grouped together).

Map 2: MN-IA and MD-DE-DC both in the North.

Map 4: MN-IA in the West and MD-DE-DC in the South.

Map 6: MN-IA in the North and MD-DE-DC in the South.

Honestly, I'd go with an alternate that has the other combo: MN-IA in the West and MD-DE-DC in the North. Why would we move Delaware, currently in the Northeast, to the South? And if we put MN-IA in the West instead of the North, it keeps the entire Midwest region intact except Oklahoma--although merged with the Pacific.

When making these maps, it's important to consider the current borders and not change things too drastically. I understand the cries for radical change, and I often agree with those cries, but when drastic change works, it's when it's objectively better than before. Sending the new regions into chaos because of a map that slices old regions with no regard to past boundaries will not help anything.

Something like this would work, I think:

The Leinad Plan:

An alternate would be to move Oklahoma to the west, which would thus make it where the Mideast is the only region not staying in tact, although even then it will retain most of it's core. Even without that, this map makes sense, and is only very slightly different to the 3 consensus maps.

To me, this is the best of both worlds of map 2 and map 4. I suppose it's rather late, but again, it's only slightly different to some maps already proposed.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 03:25:54 AM »

I like your map, but have doubts (which I expressed with the creation of my way-after-deadline map)--why would we move Minnesota, Iowa, Delaware, and to an extent Maryland and DC to different regions? You addressed that the West would have less people, so why can't we simply keep Minnesota and Iowa out there, maybe Oklahoma as well? And Delaware, which is currently in the Northeast, being moved to the South of all places seems a bit odd to me as well--culturally I'd say MD, DC, and DE fit in with the Northeastern states more so than states like Alabama or Texas.

Those 5 states are the only substantive differences between maps 2, 4, 6, and mine. We should try to provide logical reasons to put each state in a region--if we do that the decision will be easy, whatever that ends up being.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 05:13:59 AM »
« Edited: September 01, 2015, 06:00:39 AM by Governor Leinad »

I'm still not convinced, but those are fairly solid reasons why your map makes sense.

I'd like any of those 4 maps I discussed (2, 4, 6, and my own one that's unnumbered because it's not technically a map since I submitted it several days after the deadline). They all seem fairly sensible; they reduce the number of offices (thus increasing competition) but still have some basic recognition of the old borders.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 06:42:20 AM »

[9] Map 9
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies