In case somebody still missed this
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:39:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  In case somebody still missed this
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: In case somebody still missed this  (Read 2402 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2015, 03:35:33 PM »

Back years ago... these jobs were competitive- If I remember correctly
I believe that it is up to the President to set the tone.....and if he is not willing to create an environment where these jobs are desirable,he has got to go

I'm as dissatisfied with Bore's performance as anyone, but to place the blame for the current predicament on the shoulders of one man is inaccurate and, frankly, cheap politics. The roots of this crisis go much, much deeper than the failings of a single president, and while the powers of that office are indeed vast, it is unrealistic to expect him to turn the tide on months worth of inactivity and apathy on his own. Saying otherwise is dangerous, because it ignores the real systematic problems facing Atlasia in favor of a simplistic solution.
He is not the only problem..... but what has he done to fix it?? You accusing me of cheap politics is cheap politics on your behalf..... an economic recession is not a president's fault entirely,but the one who oversees it should still be held accountable. Bore has overseen the demise of Atlasia- he MUST be held accountable
Oh, I agree with you completely on that. I just think it's a fine line between blaming him for doing nothing and blaming him for starting the crisis. It seems like I misunderstood what you were saying, so I apologize for that.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2015, 10:03:50 PM »

I believe that it is up to the President to set the tone.....and if he is not willing to create an environment where these jobs are desirable,he has got to go

I'm as dissatisfied with Bore's performance as anyone, but to place the blame for the current predicament on the shoulders of one man is inaccurate and, frankly, cheap politics. The roots of this crisis go much, much deeper than the failings of a single president, and while the powers of that office are indeed vast, it is unrealistic to expect him to turn the tide on months worth of inactivity and apathy on his own. Saying otherwise is dangerous, because it ignores the real systematic problems facing Atlasia in favor of a simplistic solution.

It is more complicated than that. Again, I stress that I don't underestimate the challenge that the president faces at all times, let alone at a time like this.

My concern was the apparent lack of concern or engagement by the President on this issue. I felt the concerns of the Senate needed to be conveyed directly to the President. I hope that those who are so fervent in their support and dedication to Atlasia put their hands up, even if it means leaving an elected position. 
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2015, 10:18:11 PM »

It is more complicated than that. Again, I stress that I don't underestimate the challenge that the president faces at all times, let alone at a time like this.

My concern was the apparent lack of concern or engagement by the President on this issue. I felt the concerns of the Senate needed to be conveyed directly to the President. I hope that those who are so fervent in their support and dedication to Atlasia put their hands up, even if it means leaving an elected position. 
That is why I am running for President..... and why I have accepted Leinad's appointment for Southern Legislator... we need people to STAND UP and LEAD!
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2015, 10:30:36 PM »

calm down, girls, you're all beautiful terrible. except clarence he's cool
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2015, 10:48:57 PM »

I think everybody just needs to chill the hell out on this one. Cabinet positions have been hard to fill for ages. It seems like for a year or more, we've had at least one cabinet vacancy at any given time. It turns out that people increasingly don't want to make up stories only for the public to scream foul, or carry out day-to-day activities that result in impeachment.

The fact is that we've lost over two dozen citizens in the past couple of months - many of whom were among the active base of the game. It wouldn't surprise me if we have lost a majority of our active players. With that dynamic comes a difficulty in which it is downright impossible to adequately fill all seats with people who are going to give it their best. I'm particularly disappointed in my presidential opponent on this one, who, after entering the game following a long hiatus, has failed to do the proper research into why the game is in such shoddy shape, and take that into account.

This is precisely why I am running for President. We already see all of the side-shows and rampant accusations/witch-hunts over little, trivial things that take our eyes off the bigger prize, as I've warned everybody about already. This ConCon and the reformation of our game in the coming months will be my primary focus as President. We cannot let forget what matters most to the long-term health and survival of the game. Fixing our broken system is much more important than vacant cabinet positions, especially when most haven't been paying attention to their actions (except of course, when they "screw up") for ages.  
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2015, 05:02:27 AM »

I think everybody just needs to chill the hell out on this one. Cabinet positions have been hard to fill for ages. It seems like for a year or more, we've had at least one cabinet vacancy at any given time. It turns out that people increasingly don't want to make up stories only for the public to scream foul, or carry out day-to-day activities that result in impeachment.

The fact is that we've lost over two dozen citizens in the past couple of months - many of whom were among the active base of the game. It wouldn't surprise me if we have lost a majority of our active players. With that dynamic comes a difficulty in which it is downright impossible to adequately fill all seats with people who are going to give it their best. I'm particularly disappointed in my presidential opponent on this one, who, after entering the game following a long hiatus, has failed to do the proper research into why the game is in such shoddy shape, and take that into account.

This is precisely why I am running for President. We already see all of the side-shows and rampant accusations/witch-hunts over little, trivial things that take our eyes off the bigger prize, as I've warned everybody about already. This ConCon and the reformation of our game in the coming months will be my primary focus as President. We cannot let forget what matters most to the long-term health and survival of the game. Fixing our broken system is much more important than vacant cabinet positions, especially when most haven't been paying attention to their actions (except of course, when they "screw up") for ages.  

I'm not sure why you're defending Bore here. It's not just the cabinet--he's been either silent, borderline-dissolutionist (I mean, he voted for Oakvale...), or simply underwhelming during this whole [crap]storm. And this is the exact time he should be leading. Being an active voice for reform and stability. The cabinet is one example, another is his inaction during the 2-for-1 crisis special where TNF staged a communist coup (his rationale was that the GM hadn't said anything about it, which was blatantly untrue) and Al started arresting people for no reason at all (by the way, are you defending Al in the first paragraph? I hope not.)

And you state that you're disappointed by your presidential opponent--actually, Senator Kalwejt is your presidential opponent in the Labor primaries, and he's been critical of Bore for a while, since back when the President's critics were called "right-wing malcontents" and "dwarfs," and now it's a mainstream opinion (as evidenced by his 8% approval rating in a recent poll).
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2015, 05:10:18 AM »

Bore actually proposed a credible reform plan that was roundly dismissed by said right-wing death dwarves, you know.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2015, 07:19:41 AM »

Bore actually proposed a credible reform plan that was roundly dismissed by said right-wing death dwarves, you know.

He did one thing. That's doesn't excuse his generally poor performance in the last couple months, when he's been needed the most. Politicizing it by attacking his critics as "right-wing death dwarves" is just silly, especially when one of the President's most vocal critics, Senator Kalwejt, is also one of the most prominent left-wing politicians in today's Atlasia.

Here's his plan, by the way:

2 regions with a governor and a legislature of 3 people (which could theoretically be expanded if demand was there)
A senate of 7, two elected from the regions and one at large
A President and Vice President
A Statute reboot and a new constitution
A Supreme Court of 3 people with the associate justices assigned to hear cases in one of the two regions respectively

Regarding the Cabinet I would keep the SOFE and RG as separate but allowing people to hold the office and other ones, abolish the AG (if someone needs to be sued the president can appoint a prosecutor) and the SoIA and SoEA. The GM might or might not exist, but if they did it would just be to act as a very low key God figure.

2 regions? The general consensus is 3, by both the right and left. A senate of 7? Truman and I think some others advocated that before him. A President and VP? We already have that, but it makes sense to include it in his list. Statute reboot? Not original either. New constitution? Already on it. Interesting Supreme Court reform, I'll give him that. And as I explained in that thread, weakening the GM won't help activity. Yes, we need a regulated GM with checks and balances so they can't do stupid stuff, but we need one strong enough to artificially increase activity by simulating NPCs.

I mean, it's an okay plan, but it's not really that major; and he kind of abandoned it, anyway. And it doesn't negate the other valid criticisms me, Kalwejt, Truman, Lumine. and others have made of his performance.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2015, 09:30:43 AM »

Perhaps I should state this again....
I am PROUD not to have led this game in this period of decline and demise....you have been a leader,Kalwejt has been a leader, Bore has been a leader, Lumine has been a leader- all of you are good folks,but you must take your share of responsibility for what has happened. Leaders take responsibility- that is what they do....

You are the RG of this game, and from what I understand- you have done a fine job... but it remains that you are in an important leadership role when people have been leaving by the masses... I appreciate that you are now running for President,but we needed some one like you in office months or years ago,not now...

If my having a hiatus (during which- by the way- I had a heap load of fun in my "real life" and I will not apologize for that!) is some thing you choose to point out, it is a badge of honor I will proudly wear! I have NOT been a leader who has overseen the worst decline in Atlasia's history and the more you choose to make of it, the better....we need CHANGE from the STATUS QUO because the status quo is not working...

And one more thing- those of you who are defending President Bore (who I am sure is a fine person) are defending the WORST president I have seen in my time here....and I bet most others would agree with me on that. I respect you,Griff, but part of the reason I respect you is because I believed you are the kind of guy who would call it like it is....call a spade a spade. I want you to acknowledge- at the very least- that Bore's Presidency has overseen this game's worst period
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2015, 02:30:17 PM »

hello there precious
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2015, 05:25:14 PM »

Ahem?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2015, 08:42:28 AM »

I'd like to point out, that the postion of Secretary of Internat Affairs is vacant since early July. That almost two months.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2015, 07:11:57 PM »

Hopefully recently passed legislation will help this situation.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2015, 08:42:19 PM »

O!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length