How To FAQ
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:45:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  About this Site
  Talk Elections Q & A
  How To (Moderator: Virginiá)
  How To FAQ
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How To FAQ  (Read 10211 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 26, 2015, 01:41:58 PM »

While this is not a high traffic board, I have observed over the years that the same questions tend to get asked over the years "how do I put my PM score under my account?" or "why can't I post maps?"

Over the next week I'm going to use this space to make a comprehensive FAQ, and then maybe I can delete some of the old duplicate threads to tidy this place up. Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 09:58:54 AM »

I thought this would be a tutorial teaching us how to FAQ. I'm so disappointed... Sad
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 10:51:40 AM »

Should I use regular or synthetic oil in my car?
Kempros
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 02:23:51 PM »

I am one of those newbies that is trying to figure out how to post a map, and maybe try to make it interactive if that is possible. I spent 3 months calculating all the values and forming this map, so hopefully something like that will work.
President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 03:58:49 PM »

I am one of those newbies that is trying to figure out how to post a map, and maybe try to make it interactive if that is possible. I spent 3 months calculating all the values and forming this map, so hopefully something like that will work.
Well, you're going to have to wait until you get 20 posts. Interactive, I don't know.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 06:51:43 PM »

Once you get 20 posts, click on the 'evc' link.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 05:43:46 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2019, 09:21:50 AM by Dave Leip »

- How do I delete my account?

You may self-remove all information from your profile and ultimate profile you have added since joining. You may remove your posts.  To delete your username account, please contact the administrator via the Email link at the top of every forum page.

- How do I create/post maps?

One way to create an election map similar to the fifty-state ones strewn about the forum is to click on the
 button in the site's header. This page has a vast array of options, such as: having up to four candidates, percentage shades, and even going back to the year 1836!

When you click on this button, you'll go to the proper menu where you can modify the electoral college map to whatever permutation suits your purposes. Once you are done, click "Show Map Link", be sure to copy the entire link, and then feel free to post it in your desired thread.

Additionally, some users have posted state-based county maps or maps of municipal elections. Unfortunately, there is no web-based editing tool on this site, and those must be made via Paint or a similar application.

You must have at least 25 posts to post an image, and election maps fall under the umbrella of this requirement.

- How do I pick an avatar?

For those of you who are uninitiated, an avatar is an image that many users have underneath their username and to the left of their posts, typically a state, province, or country and also a political affiliation (or lack thereof.) One can select an avatar by clicking on
 and scrolling down to "Forum Profile Information." From there, you will have a vast array of options from Argentina to Zimbabwe! (Just kidding, we don't have Zimbabwe avatars yet.)

- How do I display my political matrix scores under my avatar?

This tends to go hand in hand with the previous point, but it's a little tricky. To have one's political matrix score listed under their avatar, one must first create an account on Dave Leip's Election Atlas proper, not the forum. This can be done here. Once this account is linked to your forum account, you can click the "Site Info" button in the website's header, then "My Atlas", and finally scroll down to edit your economic and social score once on the page "Member Information."

- How do I change my signature?

To edit your signature, click on "Forum Profile Information" (the same avenue you would use to edit your avatar) and scroll down to the table labeled "Signature." If you wish to use an image, or link to either a thread or page, then the same formatting rules that apply to standard posts also apply here.

Note that images from imgur do not work on this site.
magdalenamontes
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 06:07:06 AM »

OK, thanks for info.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 10:10:53 PM »

SMILEYS

SmileySadCheesyGrin WinkAznTongue
Code:
:(
Code:
:D
Code:
:)
Code:
;D
Code:
;)
Code:
^-^
Code:
:P
HuhUndecidedLips SealedAngryCoolEmbarrassedCry
Code:
???
Code:
:-\
Code:
:-X
Code:
>:(
Code:
8)
Code:
:-[
Code:
:'(
KissRoll EyesShocked0:)EvilC:-)Afro
Code:
:-*
Code:
::)
Code:
:o
Code:
0:)
Code:
>:D
Code:
C:-)
Code:
O0
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 07:01:39 AM »

Some good advice on the 270towin.com maps:

I just want to give you a piece of advice about the 270towin.com maps: You don't need to take a screenshot in order to show your maps; you just have to add the filename extension .png to the map URL you'll get when you click on the share button below the map:

http://www.270towin.com/2018-senate-election/8rmzV2

http://www.270towin.com/2018-senate-election/8rmzV2.png

You're welcome! 🤗
HAMMER77777
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2020, 09:26:18 PM »

Probably stupid questions but I'm new here.  How to multi-quote so I dont have to make 10 posts to reply to 10 different dudes in 1 thread? 
How to make it so when I post in a thread, my computer stays IN THAT THREAD, and doesn't kick me out to the main page full of thread lists?
     How to set personal settings such as Time Zone, & disabling personal messaging as I can do in many other forum sites?  Thanks.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2020, 09:34:18 PM »

Probably stupid questions but I'm new here.  How to multi-quote so I dont have to make 10 posts to reply to 10 different dudes in 1 thread? 
How to make it so when I post in a thread, my computer stays IN THAT THREAD, and doesn't kick me out to the main page full of thread lists?
     How to set personal settings such as Time Zone, & disabling personal messaging as I can do in many other forum sites?  Thanks.

If you enable quick reply, you can just hit the quote button on the same page and it'll add it to the quick reply box at the bottom instead of opening a new page. If you're trying to reply to posts on different pages, then there is no easier way.
HAMMER77777
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2020, 09:39:44 PM »

If you enable quick reply, you can just hit the quote button on the same page and it'll add it to the quick reply box at the bottom instead of opening a new page. If you're trying to reply to posts on different pages, then there is no easier way.
I was trying to do it on the same page.   SO again thanks for your reply, but how do I do this?  When I hit quote, it just opens a quote page right away.  How do I multi quote?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2020, 09:42:53 PM »

Probably stupid questions but I'm new here.  How to multi-quote so I dont have to make 10 posts to reply to 10 different dudes in 1 thread?  
     How to set personal settings such as Time Zone, & disabling personal messaging as I can do in many other forum sites?  Thanks.

I was trying to do it on the same page.   SO again thanks for your reply, but how do I do this?  When I hit quote, it just opens a quote page right away.  How do I multi quote?
one thing I have done is copy the text if I need to, and then go to whichever other thread I have to post it.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2020, 09:46:17 PM »

I was trying to do it on the same page.   SO again thanks for your reply, but how do I do this?  When I hit quote, it just opens a quote page right away.  How do I multi quote?

Enable the quick reply box on the profile settings page I linked you to:

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?action=profile;sa=theme

It's near the bottom: "Use quick reply on topic display:"

Set to "show, on by default". From then on every time you click the quote button, it will put the quote into that box. If you only want that to happen sometimes, set it to "show, off by default" and just expand the quick reply whenever you want to mass quote people.
HAMMER77777
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2020, 09:59:59 PM »

Enable the quick reply box on the profile settings page I linked you to:

It's near the bottom: "Use quick reply on topic display:"

Set to "show, on by default". From then on every time you click the quote button, it will put the quote into that box. If you only want that to happen sometimes, set it to "show, off by default" and just expand the quick reply whenever you want to mass quote people.

Awesome!  Any ideas for my other questions?  Thanks again buddy.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2020, 10:05:50 PM »

- PM blocking

Well, you can block certain users from sending you PMs, but you can't disable it entirely:

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?action=profile;sa=pmprefs

Maybe disabling PMs altogether is an option worth having. I'm not sure. Maybe worth a poll in FC, although I'm a supporter of Atlasia so I wouldn't want to do anything that would harm their game either.

- Return to thread after posting

Check "Return to topics after posting by default.", click "Change profile"

I take it you probably haven't explored the options too much. I know it can be kind of confusing.. A lot of this forum's features were added after-the-fact by Dave and I, and in an ad hoc manner, so it's not neatly organized or anything. You may want to check these out and just scan the page to see if it's anything you might use:

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?action=profile;sa=atlasmod
https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?action=profile;sa=customized
https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?action=profile;sa=notification

Welcome to the forum btw!
HAMMER77777
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2020, 10:19:33 PM »

Thanks man.  Sorry, I don't Know who you are.  Are you and Dave the Creators of this page?  Yes I didnt explore the options much.  But I have used other "forum" type sites such as Citydata, Tennis forum, Boxingforum24, Etc., & those options were usually more obvious.  Yes, shutting off PM's would be great.  Random clowns message me asking me to join this or that, Discord (whatever that is), etc..  It would be great to shut it off LOL!  I self-figured out how to change Time Zone.  Smiley

- PM blocking

Well, you can block certain users from sending you PMs, but you can't disable it entirely:

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?action=profile;sa=pmprefs

Maybe disabling PMs altogether is an option worth having. I'm not sure. Maybe worth a poll in FC, although I'm a supporter of Atlasia so I wouldn't want to do anything that would harm their game either.

- Return to thread after posting

Check "Return to topics after posting by default.", click "Change profile"

I take it you probably haven't explored the options too much. I know it can be kind of confusing.. A lot of this forum's features were added after-the-fact by Dave and I, and in an ad hoc manner, so it's not neatly organized or anything. You may want to check these out and just scan the page to see if it's anything you might use:

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?action=profile;sa=atlasmod
https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?action=profile;sa=customized
https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?action=profile;sa=notification

Welcome to the forum btw!
HAMMER77777
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2020, 04:55:47 PM »

Few other odd things.  On the rare occasion I report a post, after doing so it again kicks me out of the thread, so I have to go back in.  Not the biggest deal, but it's annoying and I haven't seen it happen in any other forum.  Also, on pages such as this, how can I set it to show threads in order of most recent activity (as most others forums do)?

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?board=101.0

In other words, have the most recently active threads show up on top of the screen?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2020, 05:33:07 PM »

Few other odd things.  On the rare occasion I report a post, after doing so it again kicks me out of the thread, so I have to go back in.  Not the biggest deal, but it's annoying and I haven't seen it happen in any other forum.  Also, on pages such as this, how can I set it to show threads in order of most recent activity (as most others forums do)?

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?board=101.0

In other words, have the most recently active threads show up on top of the screen?

I don't think you can report posts, then stay in the thread, though do not quote me on that as I have only ever reported like 1-2 posts plus the rare spambot that gets through verification.

As for active threads appearing on top, pretty sure they already do? (excluding pinned threads)
HAMMER77777
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2020, 05:39:52 PM »

Oh OK, maybe just the pinned ones were throwing me off.  Never mind.  Smiley
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2020, 02:03:37 AM »

How do I create a 2024 electoral map, with assumed 2020 reapportionment? For example I'd like to make a 2024 map where CA has 54 EVs, TX 41, FL 31, etc.

Or do we need to wait until the 2020 reapportionment is "official"?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies