The Social Liberals
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:21:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  The Social Liberals
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: The Social Liberals  (Read 18130 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: August 06, 2015, 12:58:53 PM »

1. Barnes
2. Vega
3. Blair
4. BaconBacon96
5. X
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2015, 06:18:25 PM »

1. Barnes
2. Blair
3. BaconBacon96.
4. Vega.
5. X
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2015, 07:15:36 PM »

Members have a further 45 minutes to vote.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2015, 08:10:04 AM »
« Edited: August 07, 2015, 10:57:36 AM by Barnes »

Each member has received the following votes under the Borda Count with n=5.

Barnes - 32 votes

Blair - 28 votes

Vega - 18 votes

BaconBacon96 - 18 votes

X - 10 votes

Vega and Bacon are tied for fifth spot and the tie will therefor be resolved by the Executive.  I will announce the full list once their decision is made.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2015, 11:02:06 AM »

There was an error in the final count with a ballot being overlooked.  The amended results are as follows with n=5.

Barnes - 36
Blair - 30
Vega - 23
Bacon - 20
X - 11

Many, many thanks to everyone in the party for helping with this process.  There were certainly a few teething issues with the vote on the list, but every member helped and allowed for a smooth process.

The Social Liberals -- Party List for the August 2015 General Election

1. Talleyrand

2. SJoyce

3. Barnes

4. Blair

5. Vega

6. BaconBacon96

7. Mr. X

8. Polnut

x Barnes
Party Chairman
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #130 on: August 08, 2015, 09:42:38 AM »

Good that we've got the party list published, is the election being held quite soon? I think it would be good to draft some form of mini-manifesto to kick start our campaign
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #131 on: August 09, 2015, 06:02:16 PM »

x Harry S Truman
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #132 on: August 09, 2015, 06:31:50 PM »

Excellent! Welcome to the party!
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #133 on: August 29, 2015, 04:25:35 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2015, 05:02:24 PM by Barnes »

Party Conference Announcement

The First Party Conference of the Social Liberals will be held in Rio de Janiero beginning on Friday, September 25.  The Conference will be attended by all party members including the party's Executive and parliamentary caucus.

The agenda will include reviewing the party's platform, general debate reserved for regular members, and setting the party firmly in the direction of victory at the next general election, whenever that is to be held.

Barnes
Party Chairman
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #134 on: September 07, 2015, 09:19:24 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2015, 09:44:30 PM by Barnes »

Press Announcement on the confidence vote in the Parliament

The Parliament is presently undertaking a motion of confidence in the Government moved by the Prime Minister.  This is a good Government that has a clear and defined purpose and vision.  Our party has been fundamental in ensuring that our nation had a strong and well-executed beginning by forming a stable and effective coalition.

The strength of our commitment to stability and progress can be seen by the work that this government has undertaken and the policy announcement of the Prime Minister which featured many policies advocated by the Social Liberals in our election manifesto.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #135 on: September 12, 2015, 10:22:04 PM »

Is this still going? If so, I am announcing my intention that I would like to join the Social Liberals.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #136 on: September 12, 2015, 10:51:47 PM »

Our game is going full steam ahead, dear chap!

As Chairman, I happily welcome you to the party!
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #137 on: September 12, 2015, 11:01:53 PM »

Party Membership -- As at September 12, 2015

Talleyrand MP (Party Leader)
SJoyce MP (Deputy Party Leader)
BaconBacon
Dallasfan
Blair MP
Vega MP
Mr. X
Polnut
Barnes MP (Party Chairman)
Hashemite
Harry S Truman
Dr. Cynic
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: September 13, 2015, 10:12:16 PM »

Let me know where I'm needed. Still trying to get the gist of everything, but I want to see this succeed.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #139 on: September 20, 2015, 09:18:39 PM »

I will be addressing the convention this weekend. Expect a surprise announcement about the government's policies at that time. I think it will thoroughly fit in with Social Liberal principles.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #140 on: September 20, 2015, 09:49:21 PM »

I will be addressing the convention this weekend. Expect a surprise announcement about the government's policies at that time. I think it will thoroughly fit in with Social Liberal principles.

Excited to hear it!
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: September 21, 2015, 01:55:16 PM »

Looking forward to it.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2015, 02:15:03 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2015, 02:20:56 PM by Barnes »

Party Conference -- September 2015

"Bem-vindo ao Rio!"

Welcome to Rio fellow Social Liberals!  I am very pleased to our our party's first official conference as we mark the half-way point of the First Parliament of our nation and the first period of a Social Liberal government.  

This conference will be an exciting and entertaining event where we can will have the Party Executive report to members on the state of the party, a debate over our party's platform and policies, possible revisions to the party constitution, and the ability for all members to address the conference on their view of the party and our first term in government.

We will begin this day with addresses from the Party Executive culminating in a speech tomorrow by our Leader, Talleyrand.

Until then, I encourage all members to sign in and take full advantage of the bar!  Here's to a fun weekend in Rio!
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #143 on: September 25, 2015, 03:13:29 PM »

As excited as I am that the congress is in full swing I'm not sure if I'll be able to attend as I'm busy for the next weekend. I'll try and get something in, and hopefully see what you guys come up with
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #144 on: September 25, 2015, 06:25:28 PM »

Amigos,

I would like to thank all of you for attending our conference - it's a humbling experience seeing all of you. I would also like to thank our esteemed and most excellent leader, Talleyrand. His speech tomorrow will be one of strong note.

Over the past month, our party, along with our country, has experienced amazing change. Having our first elections was a key brick in the wall towards a strong democracy. I am proud that the Social Liberals gave a strong performance, as well; however, I'm even prouder of what we did after the elections - we joined with the largest party in order to ensure South America would have a strong, able first government. It wasn't a time for politics - our country's political future was at risk.

Governing, although, is the most important matter - and we have governed well. We are transforming this country in a powerful way - and we won't stop. We look forward to a continuing both.

¡Adelante!,
Vega, Party Executive & MP.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #145 on: September 26, 2015, 08:23:43 PM »

A slight change of schedule.  Talleyrand will be delivering his remarks tomorrow.

Until then, I encourage members to make remarks on the floor.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #146 on: September 27, 2015, 03:01:28 AM »

Fellow members. I'm proud to be standing before this conference today, as a part of a party that has already achieved so much in so little time. Our nation's first government is on track to completing what has already been a highly successful term, with our new constitution and our successful confrontation of the FARC terrorists that have plagued us for so long.

Yet, my friends, there is much work to be done. Our mission, as Social Liberals, is to strike the balance between individual liberty and social justice. We recognize the ability of the market economy to empower and engage people like nothing else yet we also acknowledge the very legitimate role government must play in ensuring fairness and in protecting the basic human rights and decency of all people. These rights extend to the living conditions of our citizens. A right to an education, a right to healthcare and ultimately a right to an adequate standard of living.

Our understanding of liberalism- social liberalism, mandates us to protect not only the civil and political rights of South Americans but also these vital economic rights. We must make progress on combating the socioeconomic challenges that continue to pervade us. As a party of human rights, the human rights of all, we must work towards improving the living standards of all in our society but in particular the disadvantaged, the marginalized and the vulnerable.

This is why I am urging the following commitments be placed in our party platform:

• Introduction of universal healthcare, leaving not a single man woman or child without access to healthcare services
  • Guaranteed free education up to the end of secondary schooling for all children
  • The eventual implementation of a social safety net, including pensions for the retired and assistance for the unemployed, low-income households and the disabled
  • Provision of adequate mental health services
  • A commitment to combat homelessness throughout South America

These pledges are broad and lacking policy detail, I admit, but at this early stage we cannot afford to get bogged down arguing over the minutiae of policy. We must take a stand for the principles we believe in and by incorporating these important principles into our manifesto we will be mandated to hold ourselves to our commitment to including those on the margins of society and indeed helping all of our citizens prosper. These reforms are not just aimed at the vulnerable, they are aimed at all who can benefit from an adequate social safety net.

I am a pragmatist and a realist and yes I understand that our Conservative Party allies in government may not share these priorities right now. Nonetheless, we should aim to implement what measures we can in this term of Parliament and continue our agenda into the next term, regardless of whoever is in power then. And if all goes to plan and this government continues on the path which it is headed, I am confident that we can be power again, which will give us the best opportunity to advance our agenda of improving the lives and protecting the rights of all South Americans.

Thank you.

BaconBacon96, Party Executive
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #147 on: September 27, 2015, 06:46:36 PM »

I would like to profoundly thank the Executive for two excellent speeches and the ideas they have espoused; rest assured the whole party stands with them on this matter.

However, as a result of the crisis unfolding in our capitol, my speech and major policy announcement will be delayed until tomorrow, although I have already announced its main goal in question time in response to a question by the Leader of the Opposition.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #148 on: September 28, 2015, 02:25:14 PM »

I appreciate the extreme circumstances that are at present occurring in our capital and I think I can speak for the entire party in hoping for a peaceful and productive resolution as quickly as possible.

That being said, we will now move on to the development and amendment to the party platform.

Seeing as we developed a comprehensive manifesto for the last election campaign, I think that starting with that document as a basis would be useful.  Of course, we will want to update its precepts to the current situation as well as install proposals from party members.

I republish the August 2015 election manifesto below:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #149 on: September 28, 2015, 02:25:46 PM »

I encourage all members to put forward proposed amendments as part of debate.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies