Frau Merkel makes a Palestinian kid cry on national TV
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:43:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Frau Merkel makes a Palestinian kid cry on national TV
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Frau Merkel makes a Palestinian kid cry on national TV  (Read 5508 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2015, 01:05:02 PM »

What exactly is Merkel supposed to do here?

I'm not exactly a fan of the current government, but the recent reactions to anything Merkel, Schäuble and co. do have really made me realize how reasonable they are.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2015, 01:08:03 PM »

I'm not exactly a fan of the current government, but the recent reactions to anything Merkel, Schäuble and co. do have really made me realize how reasonable they are.

A large percentage of the forum has reacted with disgust to the crude stereotyping of Greeks (reasonably), but then decided to indulge in crude stereotyping of Germans. Anti-German sentiment is really at toxic levels around here.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2015, 01:10:48 PM »

Oh come on, Mark. Germans? Sausages? Do I have to spell it out? The sausage-munching Boche. Fritz, the bratwurst guzzler.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2015, 01:12:41 PM »

Oh come on, Mark. Germans? Sausages? Do I have to spell it out? The sausage-munching Boche. Fritz, the bratwurst guzzler.

Pretend I'm "liking" this.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2015, 01:14:38 PM »

All national stereotyping is stupid and wrong.

However, it is perfectly legitimate to criticize a country's political culture and attitudes on given issues. In the case you missed it, the US is the biggest "victim" on this forum.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2015, 01:18:59 PM »

But why?

Even if it was going to be better, people didn't "prepare" for industrial capitalism in advance. Nor did people try to persuade them. It just came, and they adjusted accordingly. But you haven't explained why  the "single world-nation" is desirable in the first place.

Because I am convinced that it will reduce social ills and improve people's well-being to an extent that is outright unimaginable to this point.

How?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2015, 01:20:07 PM »

Pretend I'm "liking" this.

I agree that we need a like button.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2015, 01:24:07 PM »

But why?

Even if it was going to be better, people didn't "prepare" for industrial capitalism in advance. Nor did people try to persuade them. It just came, and they adjusted accordingly. But you haven't explained why  the "single world-nation" is desirable in the first place.

Because I am convinced that it will reduce social ills and improve people's well-being to an extent that is outright unimaginable to this point.

How?

That would take long to explain, and it's not the topic of this thread, but can't you really see where I'm coming from?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2015, 01:28:46 PM »

But why?

How?

That would take long to explain, and it's not the topic of this thread, but can't you really see where I'm coming from?

No, not really. Perhaps it would be best if you continued the discussion elsewhere.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2015, 01:39:44 PM »

But why?

How?

No, not really. Perhaps it would be best if you continued the discussion elsewhere.

I'm certainly open to having a discussion on this issue in a new thread.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2015, 01:52:51 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2015, 02:05:08 PM by traininthedistance »

Transition to what?

Anyway, the issue of refugees ought to be decoupled from that of entirely voluntary immigration (which is always going to be contentious as an issue; like it or not). Or at least it's not politically clever for people who favour better treatment of refugees to fail to do so.

It's only "politically clever" to decouple the issues if you support better treatment of refugees but heavily-restricted voluntary immigration, which is a position that not many people actually take.  Ultimately, people's opinions on those issues tend to be strongly correlated for entirely obvious reasons, and as far as I'm concerned the best way to actually win better treatment for refugees is to advocate for an open rather than closed society more generally, a society that will not coincidentally be more welcoming of voluntary immigration as well.

American nationhood is based on civic values derived from its nature as a settler state. They cannot be grafted on to nations that formed by other means.

Why do only oppressed groups deserve nations? Do un-oppressed groups not have such a right?

I don't see any reason why other countries can't pivot to defining themselves based on shared civic values, as well.

And it's not that oppressed groups "deserve" nations; deserve isn't really in my vocabulary here.  It's that, in our imperfect world, nationhood is a practical response to the sorts of problems that are particular to oppressed groups, and also that non-oppressed groups use the rhetoric of nationhood as a way of oppressing their neighbors.  Take a look at Russia for the sort of dynamic I'm talking about.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2015, 02:01:24 PM »

Transition to what?

Anyway, the issue of refugees ought to be decoupled from that of entirely voluntary immigration (which is always going to be contentious as an issue; like it or not). Or at least it's not politically clever for people who favour better treatment of refugees to fail to do so.

It's only "politically clever" to decouple the issues if you support better treatment of refugees but heavily-restricted voluntary immigration, which is a position that not many people actually take.  Ultimately, people's opinions on those issues tend to be strongly correlated for entirely obvious reasons, and as far as I'm concerned the best way to actually win better treatment for refugees is to advocate for an open rather than closed society more generally, a society that will - not coincidentally - be more welcoming of voluntary immigration as well.

At least in Europe and East Asia that is a losing strategy.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2015, 02:34:48 PM »

Merkel's right.

While being a bit stiff ... and well, German ... in her approach to this immigrant kid - you simply cannot cry your way into Germany or open the door to millions of people from all over the world. Germany cannot solve all the problems of these failed countries by letting their people migrate to Germany.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2015, 02:56:44 PM »

She said what she was going to do anyway-what is wrong with that?

MalaspinaGold

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2015, 03:16:27 PM »

One thing that should be noted is that talking about completely redefining a state and actually doing it are two completely different things, especially in democracies. Because not only do you have to get the government to approve this massive shift, you need the people's implicit approval. If there is no approval by the people, then that strains the democratic system, as political conflict is waged not in the system itself, but between the two systems; one closed, the other open. In these sorts of situations, it is indeed rare to see "left", "progressive", etc. forces win, usually because they don't manage to connect with the populace at large on these issues.

Ultimately, it's not what the politicians think, it's what the people think. And if the people want a closed society, then the best tactic is not to try and force an open society upon them, but to work to change national consciousness.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2015, 03:54:28 PM »

Why Frau Merkel in the first place?

Anyway, Merkel's reaction was fine. She was empathetic in her own way and honest at the same time.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2015, 04:01:03 PM »

Girl: I don't want to be deported.

Merkel: I'm very sorry, but politics is complicated. I can't really change government policy because of one person.

Atlas: EVIL MERKEL SMIRKS AS CHILDREN DIE
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2015, 04:05:20 PM »

Girl: I don't want to be deported.

Merkel: I'm very sorry, but politics is complicated. I can't really change government policy because of one person.

Atlas: EVIL MERKEL SMIRKS AS CHILDREN DIE
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2015, 04:07:31 PM »

A large percentage of the forum has reacted with disgust to the crude stereotyping of Greeks (reasonably), but then decided to indulge in crude stereotyping of Germans. Anti-German sentiment is really at toxic levels around here.

Zionist scum. Wink
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2015, 04:17:46 PM »

Zionist scum. Wink

What does this comment mean?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2015, 04:43:03 PM »

Zionist scum. Wink

What does this comment mean?

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=215622.0
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2015, 06:07:37 PM »

Agree with her or disagree with her on immigration Merkel is right, politics is tough and a leader should get to decisions considering all matters at hand on the macro scale, a crying 10 year old is saddening but a leader should reach decisions by that.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2015, 06:12:42 PM »

If you watch the actual video, I think she handled it well, and was very compassionate. The girl even smiled at the end.
SNJ1985
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2015, 09:20:04 PM »

It doesn't need a flood of (more) immigrants; it simply needs its native people to have more children.

Germany and other Western countries wouldn't have such low birth rates if they had never embraced secularism, contraception, abortion, and a loosening of sexual morals. Germans would be having more children if Germany were still a devout Christian country, adhered to traditional sexual morality (sex is only for a married man and woman, without contraception, and for the purpose of producing children), and celebrated the traditional family; as it and every other Western country should be and do.

The sexual revolution, which was entirely a product of the left, is chiefly to blame for the modern West's demographic crisis.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/opinion/the-only-way-to-beat-our-demographic-crisis-is-to-confront-the-sexual-revol
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2015, 09:31:10 PM »

Well, feel free to move in a Christian African country, who still follow those principles.

Americans and Europeans rejected them. Too bad for you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies