Repartioning of Ulster
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:17:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Repartioning of Ulster
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Repartioning of Ulster  (Read 1112 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2005, 07:04:16 PM »

At present six of the nine counties of Ulster comprise Northern Ireland.  Given the relative location of Unionist and Republican sentiment would a  repartition that transferred Counties Armagh, Fermanagh, and Tyrone to the Republic calm things down or inflame them more?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 07:10:29 PM »

At present six of the nine counties of Ulster comprise Northern Ireland.  Given the relative location of Unionist and Republican sentiment would a  repartition that transferred Counties Armagh, Fermanagh, and Tyrone to the Republic calm things down or inflame them more?
It would probably do the latter; for one thing, I hardly think that the Democratic Unionists would agree to such a move.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 07:36:01 PM »

It would probably do the latter; for one thing, I hardly think that the Democratic Unionists would agree to such a move.

Actually, I’d expect it would be the Republicans who would raise the greater fuss.  Given the current demographic trends, it’ll only take a few more decades before there is a Republican majority in Northern Ireland.  Repartition is likely the only way Northern Irland could still be part of the United Kingdon come 2050.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 06:09:42 PM »

This would never happen.  One, the unionists would never agree to ceding more British land to the Republic.  Two, the republicans would never allow such a huge support base to be moved out of the province.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 02:07:14 AM »

It doesn't really appease a Nationalist in the Glens of Antrom or a Protestant in say Dungannon. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 07:40:09 AM »

Okay...problem one...the counties don't even exist anymore.
problem two...that leaves two predominantly Taig areas just outside the Republic, South Down and the city of Derry. Also where is the Northern boundary of Armagh, ie what county were Lagan Valley and Upper Bann formerly in? Asking for info, I was wondering about that last night.
These two might be fixable at one swoop by going by current local government boundaries, though
problem three...Catholics in Belfast and East Antrim...you can't gerrymander this into the Republic can you? And there's a large Prot minority in Fermanagh I think...certainly far large percentagewise than in Tyrone.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 09:46:23 PM »

I'm really torn by this issue.

As a Catholic with a little Irish ancestry, I want to see all of Ireland reunited.

On the other hand, I'm an Anglophile (I love everything British), and they've already lost so many other parts of their empire, I'd hate to see the UK shrink further.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies