NBC/WSJ national: D: Clinton 52% Someone else 45%; R: Someone Else 52% Trump 45%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:10:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  NBC/WSJ national: D: Clinton 52% Someone else 45%; R: Someone Else 52% Trump 45%
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NBC/WSJ national: D: Clinton 52% Someone else 45%; R: Someone Else 52% Trump 45%  (Read 1634 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2016, 03:29:28 AM »

NBC/WSJ national poll, conducted June 19-23:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/poll-majority-republicans-prefer-someone-else-trump-n599861

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 09:13:19 AM »

With one strong opponent, the Trumpster would have lost the primaries. That’s still my theory. The divided field was his biggest push. Although he got the largest number of votes of votes in total numbers, he only received a little more than 44%. Romney got over 52% in 2012, McCain got almost 49% and W has had 68% in 2000.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 06:34:03 PM »

Pointless poll in reality, but as a political junkie it's somewhat interesting, since "someone else" is the ultimate opponent. Some Democrats may be picturing Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren, others could be picturing Zell Miller or Jim Matheson, and everything in between (including "unbeatable titan" Joe Biden.) Similarly, on the Republican side, people could be picturing anything from Jon Huntsman to Mitt Romney to Ted Cruz to Rand Paul to Mike Huckabee.

I interpret that as Hillary's inevitability being unshakable from the start, regardless of who her opponent(s) were. Trump could've been in trouble with a strong unifying figure, but it's doubtful such a figure could ever have materialized, and same goes for the Dem side. Candidates who tried to be all things to all people tended to flame out early or put in embarrassingly pathetic performances (Walker, Jindal, Paul, Rubio, O'Malley.)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 10:26:49 PM »

I interpret that as Hillary's inevitability being unshakable from the start, regardless of who her opponent(s) were. Trump could've been in trouble with a strong unifying figure, but it's doubtful such a figure could ever have materialized, and same goes for the Dem side. Candidates who tried to be all things to all people tended to flame out early or put in embarrassingly pathetic performances (Walker, Jindal, Paul, Rubio, O'Malley.)

It's less clear to me that this is telling us about what might have been, as opposed to how supportive the parties are of their nominees now.

I mean, 45% say they're satisfied with Trump as the nominee.  But in an alternate universe where Kasich didn't run and Rubio didn't make a debate gaffe, a larger %age than that might have been supportive of Republican nominee Marco Rubio.  Given that Trump started the primary season with a bunch of 35% plurality victories, I don't think it would have necessarily taken a "strong unifying figure" to beat him.  Just a somewhat different field of candidates and/or strategies for beating him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies