Opinion of the United States flag?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:11:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the United States flag?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Freedom Flag or Horrible Flag
Freedom Flag

Horrible Flag

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: Opinion of the United States flag?  (Read 2650 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 08, 2015, 06:59:41 AM »

HF, it represents an anti-common man* rebellion for the purpose of defending white supremacy and elite mercantile interests. They started wars that caused millions of deaths all because they couldn't accept "Others" having the right to democracy and self-rule. Hateful white northerners waved it proudly during the Know Nothing era to defend segregation and legal discrimination against most anyone who wasn't a White Protestant. It is also waved by the KKK and other white supremacy groups.

To have it up on a state capital, which is public property, hundreds of years later is beyond unreasonable. Citizens have every right in the world to use it as they wish. If people are not actually upset about it being on a state house, that represents a sad state of affairs.

*Which is totally ironic because the people who defend the flag are the so called "anti-racists".

I took some liberties here, but yeah you get the idea.  Horrible Flag.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 07:17:42 AM »

An evil symbol of racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia, Islamophobia, colonialism, imperialism, genocide, war crimes, and everything else wrong with the world.

Haha, just kidding.  Tongue  Massive Freedom Flag, obviously (sane).
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 07:19:26 AM »

All flags create far more bother than they're worth.
JohnRM
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 07:47:49 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2015, 07:55:56 AM by JohnRM »

Feel free to move to Antarctica if you don't like the flag or another country with a flag you like. I'm not sure you can all crowd into the U.N. Building in NYC, but we can try. GTFO.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 07:50:05 AM »

And so close to July 4th Mecha! Sad the Ameican flag was good enough for Jesus when he signed the Declaration of Independence, it should be good enough for you.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 09:02:15 AM »

It represents freedom and the greatest country ever. Freedom flag.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 09:07:47 AM »

http://www.theonion.com/article/us-flag-recalled-after-causing-143-million-deaths-17248
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 09:32:47 AM »

The people who say "it represents racism and violence blah blah blah" are obviously dumb, but I vote HP because I don't find it very aesthetically pleasing. Way too busy.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 10:53:20 AM »

The people who say "it represents racism and violence blah blah blah" are obviously dumb, but I vote HP because I don't find it very aesthetically pleasing. Way too busy.

If a kid can't draw a flag with reasonable accuracy, it's not a good flag.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 11:08:23 AM »

Amazing flag.  Stands head and shoulders above the rest of the developed world when it comes to looking cool and having creative meaning if you ask me.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 11:33:06 AM »

This, but I voted FF since I feel the US (and by extension the flag as a symbol of the US) has the greatest potential to be the best force for good in the world, even if it isn't and hasn't lived up to that promise.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 11:54:16 AM »

The flag of a nation with much to be ashamed of as well as much to be proud of. The American flag represents a place where you can make as much money as you could possibly imagine on the backs of an oppressed populace with little to no say in the policies that are to be implemented to govern them, due to the nefarious rulings of a supreme court hellbent on upholding an oligarchic way of life that they themselves are very much a part of. This same flag is also the banner of a better life for people of all nations of the world. With some of the most permissive immigration laws in the world, along with a populace that has been shown to be among the most favorable to people around the world looking for a new start (not to mention polls indicating popular support for looser immigration laws), America proves itself time and time again to be a safe haven for people everywhere looking to start anew. I mean really, our right-wing party really only talks about "strengthening our borders," and even they don't want to see too much reduction in immigration. (After all, GOP politicians from Texas jerk themselves off to sleep at night thinking of hiring Mexican immigrants to work in their shops for $7.25/hr)  We don't really have literal nazis in positions of power running around calling for complete immigration bans as in Europe.

The American flag also represents generations of separate and unequal status for a whole group of people based on the color of their skin. Time and time again, a supreme court built upon the supremacy of one class over the rest of The People, legitimized the suffering of a group of fellow Americans based on the color of their skin. The US government, while enabling racist killers to shoot blacks with no penalty (see Emmett Till, Trevor Martin, Eric Garner, and Michael Brown just to name a few), is home to a populace of people shown by statistics to be more welcoming to ethnic minorities than in most other nations.

tl;dr America is a nation with many faults (just like other nations), but also gets many things right (didn't even have time to begin to mention the great permissive spirit of america when it comes to civil liberties like: freedom of speech, gun rights, freedom of the press, freedom of religion, and so on.

Overall I lean Freedom Flag.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 02:19:23 PM »

HF, it represents an anti-common man* rebellion for the purpose of defending white supremacy and elite mercantile interests. They started wars that caused millions of deaths all because they couldn't accept "Others" having the right to democracy and self-rule. Hateful white northerners waved it proudly during the Know Nothing era to defend segregation and legal discrimination against most anyone who wasn't a White Protestant. It is also waved by the KKK and other white supremacy groups.

To have it up on a state capital, which is public property, hundreds of years later is beyond unreasonable. Citizens have every right in the world to use it as they wish. If people are not actually upset about it being on a state house, that represents a sad state of affairs.

*Which is totally ironic because the people who defend the flag are the so called "anti-racists".

I took some liberties here, but yeah you get the idea.  Horrible Flag.

Freedom Flag
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 02:21:21 PM »

An absolutely beautiful flag, and when it glistens in the sun, I'm reminded just how much more good this country has given the world than bad.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 02:47:39 PM »

An absolutely beautiful flag, and when it glistens in the sun, I'm reminded just how much more good this country has given the world than bad.

Are you being sarcastic??
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 03:32:04 PM »

Are you being sarcastic??

I don't expect you to have the same soft spot for it, why would you?

But yes, I believe the Constitution setting a standard model for free democracies for the next hundred years, the United States' historic (and I guess relative) acceptance of immigrants and America's role in defeating the Axis Powers and helping to restore Europe after World War II more than cancels out its black marks relative to many other nations.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 03:58:40 PM »

Fair enough, I just thought "glistens in the sun" was so on the nose you were taking the piss.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 04:16:58 PM »

Fair enough, I just thought "glistens in the sun" was so on the nose you were taking the piss.

Haha, okay, yeah that might have been made a little intentionally corny, I admit.  However, my point is genuine.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 04:38:20 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI0hvm10AHo
Anti-Bothsidesism
Somenamelessfool
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 07:20:08 PM »

Represents a country comprised of humans. As such, it's irreversibly tainted. Horrible flag.
So by your logic all flags are horrible. (-_-)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2015, 07:29:25 PM »

Why do people insist on flying the flag of the rebel scum traitors?
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2015, 07:34:20 PM »

Why do people insist on flying the flag of the rebel scum traitors?

You mean the traitors who were being taxed but not represented, lived across an ocean and founded the country that you and I are a part of today??  Hardly the same.

The Confederates should be treated like any other crazies who tried to overthrow the American government; the fact that they were infinitely more successful than the second most successful or that they hailed from a certain region should be irrelevant to modern AMERICANS from the South.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2015, 09:21:00 AM »

It's not comparable to Confederate banners, really, and the country has been in existence long enough for the flag to symbolically represent both wonderful and loathsome things alike. Voted HF mostly owing to an interest in seeing it replaced if/when a new order can be brought about.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2015, 09:57:56 AM »

Amazing flag.  Stands head and shoulders above the rest of the developed world when it comes to looking cool and having creative meaning if you ask me.
It's certainly better than the boring ass European flags.  wow....three stripes....congrats.  oh yours are sideways...how clever.  Don't forget the sideways cross! <giant roll eyes>

(if your European flag isn't boring, I'm not talking about yours)

(and don't take this as serious as you probably are, all in good fun)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2015, 10:07:48 AM »

Most importantly, flags with dragons on them are the marks of greatness. Bhutan and Wales= two of the greatest nations on earth.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies