2006 MS-03 Election and black/democrat voters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:37:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2006 MS-03 Election and black/democrat voters
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2006 MS-03 Election and black/democrat voters  (Read 735 times)
gespb19
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 07, 2015, 09:19:31 PM »
« edited: July 08, 2015, 01:04:28 AM by gespb19 »

I made this spreadsheet a few months ago and thought some on this forum would find it interesting. If this is not in the right forum, please move this.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18RDzUlJ_sUKuR2egygMK7Ob1Tamuu4PyMXnTAIbRl7A/edit?pli=1#gid=0

The precincts in the spreadsheet are where 2006 Democrat candidate for US Senate Erik Fleming won 75% or more of the vote. We can assume that these precincts have a high black population given the racial polarization in voting in the South and in Mississippi. In these 30 precincts Indepedent Jim Giles, a white supremacist, won 47.20% of the vote. Republican incumbent Charles Pickering won 36.28% of the vote. Reform candidate LaMonica Magee 16.52% of the vote. There was no Democrat in the field. Overall, Pickering won this election with 78% of the vote, with Giles at 16% and Magee at 6%.

Giles won a majority of the vote in 11 of these precincts, and a plurality in 11 others. Pickering won a majority in 2 precincts and a pluarity in 5. Magee won a plurality in 1 precinct.

Note: Numbers in the spreadsheet that are in bold indicate a majority of the vote was won. Numbers italicized would indicate that a plurality was won.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 01:00:31 AM »

I made this spreadsheet a few months ago and thought some on this forum would find it interesting. If this is not in the right forum, please move this.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18RDzUlJ_sUKuR2egygMK7Ob1Tamuu4PyMXnTAIbRl7A/edit?pli=1#gid=0

The precincts in the spreadsheet are where 2006 Democrat candidate for US Senate Erik Fleming won 75% or more of the vote. We can assume that these precincts have a high black population given the racial polarization in voting in the South and in Mississippi. In these 30 precincts Indepedent Jim Giles, a white supremacist, won 47.20% of the vote. Republican incumbent Charles Pickering won 36.28% of the vote. Reform candidate LaMonica Magee 16.52% of the vote. Overall, Pickering won this election with 78% of the vote, with Giles at 16% and Magee at 6%.

Giles won a majority of the vote in 11 of these precincts, and a plurality in 11 others. Pickering won a majority in 2 precincts and a pluarity in 5. Magee won a plurality in 1 precinct.

Note: Numbers in the spreadsheet that are in bold indicate a majority of the vote was won. Numbers italicized would indicate that a plurality was won.

That reminds me 1950-60th.. When most segregationst counties in many southern states were those, which were located in Black Belt (or, in Mississippi, in Delta), and had big Black majority. But then Blacks in these counties simply couldn't vote. Now? Nobody cared and conservative whites were the only one to vote? 16% for white supremacist now is a sort of "achievement"... Even in Misssissippi.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 06:22:59 PM »

The white supremacist didn't campaign at all. Virtually none of his voters realized who he was. There wasn't a Democrat on the ballot, just him (independent) and Chip Pickering (Republican), so a lot of Democrats just marked him.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 12:44:56 AM »

The white supremacist didn't campaign at all. Virtually none of his voters realized who he was. There wasn't a Democrat on the ballot, just him (independent) and Chip Pickering (Republican), so a lot of Democrats just marked him.

Marked without even inquiring who he is? Some new tactics for me....
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 08:52:59 PM »

Why?  I've done that in the many New York races where only a Conservative or other minor party or independent candidate is running up against a Democrat.  It is a protest vote against the Democratic Party establishment more than a vote for the actual candidate.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 11:34:56 PM »

Why?  I've done that in the many New York races where only a Conservative or other minor party or independent candidate is running up against a Democrat.  It is a protest vote against the Democratic Party establishment more than a vote for the actual candidate.

May be it's just me - i always make a research before choosing, and never vote a "protest for the sake of protest" style..
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies