Hutchison Running for Gov? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:13:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Hutchison Running for Gov? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hutchison Running for Gov?  (Read 3491 times)
M

« on: May 05, 2005, 09:13:57 PM »

This is old news, but here's my take. First, what does Kay Bailey have to gain? If her goal is to be running mate in '08, not much. She woun't have time to prove herself as a governor, and will be leaving almost as soon as she arrives, which isn't smart. So when possibility is that she believes Hillary will win in '08, and in '12 she can lead the conservative charge to "take back the White House", at exactly the point into her governorship as GWB was when elected.

Perry is really a nonentity, with no charisma or particular vision. But he can present himself as the real conservative. The worst of it is that the losing camp- conservatives or Kay Baileyite moderates, may not vote en masse. (By Texas standards, she's very moderate, and with Bush the state's most popular political figure). Still, Bell's the biggest nobody of all and would likely lose; Martin Frost, Ken Bentsen, or even Bill White might have a better shot if the GOP really splits.

Strayhorn was, the talk goes, softening up Perry for her olf friend Kay Bailey for her attacks. She wants the Lieutenant Governor spot currently held by rich nonentity David Dewhurst. If Kay Bailey runs, he may want to be senator, but so will congressman and former San Antonia newscaster Henry Bonilla, who could be the GOP's second Hispanic and first Mexican senator.

If all these things come to pass, I will likely vote Hutchison, Strayhorn, and Bonilla. (Yes, I'm still registered to vote in Texas). And BTW, Perry could never, ever be president. We haven't had that little color in the White House since Harding, and at least he had a scandal.
M

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 10:03:39 AM »

Hurrah! I will likely vote for Strayhorn, since Perry is a useless a**hole and Dewhurst is in over his head. The only thing that really disappoints me is we'll have to wait again to stick Bonilla in the Senate. (Why couldn't he have replaced Gramm, instead of Cornyn?)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies