What should we do as far as immigration? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:22:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What should we do as far as immigration? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What should we do as far as immigration?  (Read 8427 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« on: May 31, 2015, 01:14:26 PM »

I understand there is a moral component to the illegal immigration issue. As soon as any illegal immigrant has a child here, that child is by default a citizen, and people don't want to rip families apart. But the law is the law. If we let one law not mean anything because morally we're too weak to make a hard choice, one that isn't "nice", that sets a negative precedent IMO. My history is a little rusty, but wasn't one of the reasons for the Fall of Rome the massive migration of the 'Barbarians' into the borders of the Empire?

The Mexicans have set approximately zero cities on fire and are not attempting to conduct an armed occupation.

I believe in the idea that, roughly speaking a country needs to have borders, a common language and a common culture. We've never held to that rigidly here in the US, and I'm not saying we should. But we've veered too far from the concept. I live in an area that is dominated by immigrants in terms of sheer people. I go to bus to college every day, back and forth. Most of the time, I ride the bus with either Eastern European or Asian Americans. Neither of whom, or the majority of whom, do not speak a word of English the entire trip. They chat amongst each other in their languages....I just feel there's something off about that. I love looking at the people and seeing diversity and wondering where all of them came from. I have no problem with their presence here. But at one time, immigrants assimilated into mainstream American society, and in the process they gave a little something of their former culture to America to create that 'Melting Pot.' Nowadays, immigrants from my experience don't assimilate, and continue acting/dressing/talking the way they did in their former culture while not 'sharing' any of their culture to mainstream America.

Being made uncomfortable by the presence of people who speak a language other than yours or who dress differently than you is racism. Sorry.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 01:20:02 PM »

I believe in the idea that, roughly speaking a country needs to have borders, a common language and a common culture. We've never held to that rigidly here in the US, and I'm not saying we should. But we've veered too far from the concept. I live in an area that is dominated by immigrants in terms of sheer people. I go to bus to college every day, back and forth. Most of the time, I ride the bus with either Eastern European or Asian Americans. Neither of whom, or the majority of whom, do not speak a word of English the entire trip. They chat amongst each other in their languages....I just feel there's something off about that. I love looking at the people and seeing diversity and wondering where all of them came from. I have no problem with their presence here. But at one time, immigrants assimilated into mainstream American society, and in the process they gave a little something of their former culture to America to create that 'Melting Pot.' Nowadays, immigrants from my experience don't assimilate, and continue acting/dressing/talking the way they did in their former culture while not 'sharing' any of their culture to mainstream America.

Being made uncomfortable by the presence of people who speak a language other than yours or who dress differently than you is racism. Sorry.

Wouldn't that be xenophohbia or some form of--I guess--"culturalism"? Left-wingers wearing strange clothing often make me uncomfortable, and their use of language such as "privilege" and the like is off-putting.

He indicated it was specifically linked to their racial/ethnic background.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies