What should we do as far as immigration? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:17:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What should we do as far as immigration? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What should we do as far as immigration?  (Read 8400 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« on: July 04, 2015, 11:32:43 PM »

My immigration stance?

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

My ancestors were accepted into this country as refugees fleeing vicious pogroms in Russia. Why would I ever abandon that most American of ideals, that this is a country that anyone can come to to build a new life?

Yes, precisely this.  If there is anything about America that is exceptional and worth celebrating the world over, it is our status as an open, welcoming beacon of hope to people of all creeds and colors the world over.  Restricting immigration is quite simply a betrayal of our values– and even if a "flood" of new residents were to lower some wages (and I'm pretty damn skeptical they'd do that– let the record show that immigrants are instead the backbone of our country's growth and prosperity), it would be the right thing to do anyway.

I am aware that policy is unlikely to ever comport 100% with my ideal values on this issue.  But they are values worth defending and celebrating, goddamnit.  
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies