What should we do as far as immigration? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:11:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What should we do as far as immigration? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What should we do as far as immigration?  (Read 8410 times)
mencken
« on: July 22, 2015, 09:28:17 AM »

Immigration reform should consist of removing the incentive structure (i.e. ending birthright citizenship, restricting assistance programs, etc.) Any other proposals for immigration reform do not address the heart of the problem and thus will kick the bucket down the road (as in 1965 and 1986).

Immigration policy itself should be streamlined. Any immigrant must be either sponsored by a natural-born citizen or post a bond equivalent to 10 years median citizen income. Citizenship is granted if after 10 years residents have no criminal history, proves capable of supporting themselves, and passes a comprehensive civics exam (violation of the first two conditions at any point during permanent residency results in deportation)
mencken
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 09:40:21 AM »

Both parties agree immigration reform is needed. But what would your personal solution be?

Mine is as follows:
-Crack down heavily on illegal immigration. Finish the fence, put a segment of the national guard or military along the border on a permanent basis. Do an operation similar to Eisenhower's to deport already-present illegals. Children of illegal immigrants who are at or over the age of 18 will have the opportunity to become naturalized citizens with no penalty put upon them.

Agree with the sentiment, but building a fence/militarizing the border would be ineffective at combating those that come here through the airports. Granting citizenship to children only serves as encouragement to break the law. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Once again, I agree with the sentiment, but I think that strictly regulating the quality of immigrants makes regulating the quantity of immigrants both unnecessary and superfluous.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Agree with this, except for the funding for programs. I suppose funding ESL could be acceptable if they were deducted from the aforementioned bond, but preferably immigrants should not require added incentive to assimilate into the culture. The various waves of immigrants prior to 1965 did not require ESL programs to obtain a functioning understanding of English.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies