United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:30:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership  (Read 177300 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: June 23, 2016, 01:34:03 AM »

Somebody asked over three hundred Edinburgh-area Grindr users their opinions on the referendum. Of these, Grindr User Stephen has pretty much my exact opinion.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 06:52:11 PM »

So, maybe terrible comparison, but could it be said that Labour Leave voters would be equivalent to the Sanders wing of the Democratic party?

More like "Reagan Democrats"

Like if the 'Reagan Democrats' had actually voted for Reagan, yeah. 'Nixon Democrats' would be a better description of these sorts of people.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 06:57:05 PM »

Lewisham allegedly at 83% for Remain, per unconfirmed reports on Torygraph liveblog.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 07:02:54 PM »

Broken Britain, et cetera.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 07:11:21 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 07:59:20 PM »

Why is everyone acting like Leave has won?  There's not even close to enough votes to show anything at this point, except that Leave is outperforming the polls.
The polls were 52-48 to Remain though. Leave outperforming the polls makes it likely Leave will win.
Dude, less than 20 districts have reported out of 382 total.  That number is anything but conclusive.

You're the same person who freaked out every time the networks made a call in the primary season and claimed "TOO EARLY!!!"  No credibility!
If you seriously think that less than 10 percent of the vote is enough to make a call, then you need your head examined.  The US media got burned when they did it in 2000, and it will happen again as long as they keep doing it that way.  At least the BBC is responsible in labeling it as "Too Early to Call."

There's a reason why 2000 is always, every single time, the example you use for this.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 08:06:31 PM »

Why is everyone acting like Leave has won?  There's not even close to enough votes to show anything at this point, except that Leave is outperforming the polls.
The polls were 52-48 to Remain though. Leave outperforming the polls makes it likely Leave will win.
Dude, less than 20 districts have reported out of 382 total.  That number is anything but conclusive.

You're the same person who freaked out every time the networks made a call in the primary season and claimed "TOO EARLY!!!"  No credibility!
If you seriously think that less than 10 percent of the vote is enough to make a call, then you need your head examined.  The US media got burned when they did it in 2000, and it will happen again as long as they keep doing it that way.  At least the BBC is responsible in labeling it as "Too Early to Call."

There's a reason why 2000 is always, every single time, the example you use for this.
Less than 10 percent of districts in, and Leave is winning.  That means nothing.  If Leave is still winning when 80-90% is in, then I'd be more comfortable saying that Leave wins the day.

There's

there's a whole world of intermediate space between 'it's too early to call! Early results mean nothing!' and making a final call. It doesn't have to be one or the other.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 08:25:37 PM »

How's turnout in London?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 08:30:42 PM »

Leave lead down to 22K.  I will now accept my accolades for my prediction about London making it tighter.

Now you are doing exactly the same! You have to look at the pattern.
I didn't say that Remain would win once London came in--just that the margin would get closer.

And nobody in this thread suggested otherwise.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 11:19:16 PM »

Come to think of it, seeing as she's still alive, I wonder how she voted. I could see her coming down either way, based on what I know about her.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 03:55:17 PM »

Any chance that Parliament won't come up with the votes necessary to enact Article 50?

If so, what happens then?  Mass chaos? 

I'm sure a Brexiteer Prime Minister will whip it good.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 03:00:23 PM »

I cracked up at the phrase 'the online campaign to stop blaming him for Brexit'.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 07:28:59 PM »

Could someone use Hanretty's figures for a base map but correct him for constituencies for which we know he's wrong?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies