United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:18:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership  (Read 176970 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: August 18, 2015, 01:13:42 PM »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-nigel-farage-to-announce-plans-to-head-campaign-for-british-exit-10425255.html

According to a recent poll by ORB, 55% of Britons support staying in the EU and 45% support leaving the EU. 71% of 18 to 24-year-olds in Britain support staying in the EU, while 53% of those aged 65 and over support leaving the EU.

Interesting generational difference -I wonder why younger people in the UK are more supportive of the EU than their elders.

The stereotypical Europhile is highly educated, rich, urban, and socially liberal while the stereotypical Eurosceptic is the opposite - less educated, more likely to be working class, less likely to be live in the urban core, and more socially conservative. Young people are likely to fit in (or aspire to be)  the former as the most pro-European parties (Green & Lib Dems) do well with university students.

Your post sums up what I think is the most important political divide in the UK at the moment. It's not left vs. right, it's Greater London vs. The Rest of the UK.

Ah, Manchester, Liverpool, Knowsley, Birmingham and the Welsh Valleys, those remote parts of the Greater London.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 11:20:22 PM »

So if the UK left the EU, what would happen to UKIP, one of there main policy planks being gone? Would they start to dwindle?

They would become the angry English man's party. 

That's what they are already.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 02:04:16 PM »

For the record, results won't be reported by constituency, but by local authority.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 06:34:44 PM »

The deadline was extended because the registration website crashed for the last two hours before the wind closed. That is before you even get on to the ridiculous backwardness of the new requirement for individual registration.

There also does seem to be an irony in the Brexit gang complaining about people having the vote seeing their a major part of their campaign is about how "undemocratic" Brussels is.

The website crashed for precisely 1 hour and 45 minutes last night so obviously you extend the deadline by 48 hours even though it's set in law. Stands to reason really.

Cameron and the rest of the Remainers are completely transparent in how they're manipulating this referendum.

Why would they bother pandering to your ilk? You'll spend the day after the election claiming it was stolen, when it's just the will of the population. All the population, not just old white guys. UK is more than them, thankfully.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 10:02:20 PM »

Boris Johnson will not be Prime Minster; not matter the result of the referendum.

I think he may. There is tension right now in the Conservative Party. I could see him, Osborne, May, or even a dark horse like Priti Patel, a Hindu MP to be a potential successor to Cameron.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/priti-patel-who-top-tory-right-winger-tipped-be-face-brexit-campaign-1542619

There is too much MPs hating Boris for him to be PM.

Conservatives use an hybrid method for electing leader, MPs vote on the candidates, by rounds, elimilating the lowest vote getter until there is only 2 candidates, which are sent on full membership election. So, you need consequent support among the MPs to reach the final step.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 08:09:07 PM »

It will be 50-50 and will go through 35 recounts Sad

God I hope not. I'll have to sleep some time on Friday morning.

British law does not mandate recounts. Each council will declare final results for their area, which can be only changed by court.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 07:12:13 PM »

RIP the pound, RIP the City of London.

They were good while they lasted.

RIP UK. RIP Great Britain.

I think Irish reunification may be on the cards.

Better said, long live Uk. They have lost enough of their National identity in these past decades.

Well, now they will loose their physical existence. England will have to stand alone.

Have you looked into how much of Goods the Uk imports from the Eu opposed to how much it Exports?

Dont think Germans will lose their huge Car market just because of this, if Britain hurts, big mama Merkel hurts.

The point is that the Scottish and the Northern Irish and more and more tired of the antics of the English.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 04:42:57 PM »

The thing that really gets me is the dishonesty and fear mongering over Northern Ireland. There is absolutely not going to be border checkpoints set up. Absolutely no way. The most likely thing to happen is  there will be a passport required to travel between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.

The Unionists won't accept that condition at all.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies