United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:34:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 78
Author Topic: United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership  (Read 176720 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: June 22, 2016, 06:04:03 AM »

The map itself is a model, but the spread of voting (even if the numbers aren't the same) looks plausible. It means we are now faced with a turnout battle. If support is strongly linked to rural/suburban v urban, then voting patterns would suggest that that should work in 'Leaves' favour.

What's fun about this is that the geographic In/Out patterns of support are basically the polar opposite of what they were in 1975.
Angel of Death
« Reply #576 on: June 22, 2016, 06:25:31 AM »

Anyone want to take a stab at what could be the bellwethers for this election, for any level of subdivision?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #577 on: June 22, 2016, 07:55:00 AM »

Sorry if this got asked already.  But will there be exit polls coming out at 5pm? Will BBC do one ?
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #578 on: June 22, 2016, 08:02:57 AM »

In terms of when we'll know it'll depend how close it is: if its not a 51/49 thriller then the result probably will be clear by 3am when the flood of results will begin; if its close it might go down to the later counting areas.

I'm not entirely sure how they're declaring the result: some people are saying that its by local authority areas which is how they are counting the votes; some are saying that although they're counting by those they'll declare it by EU Parliament regions which would just be odd.

No exit poll, there probably will be some private polling but who knows if you can trust that
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #579 on: June 22, 2016, 09:46:04 AM »

some are saying that although they're counting by those they'll declare it by EU Parliament regions which would just be odd.

Where have you heard that? I have only heard that results are to be declared by Local Authorities.

As far as how results might go, Sunderland will be the first to declare, as always. Sunderland is relatively eurosceptic, I can't remember where I found it, but someone has calculated, based on the general Euroscepticism of the various parts of the UK, that Sunderland will probably be about 6% more "leave" than the country.

Although that clearly has to taken with a pinch of salt, and the margins of error are massive. It means we might be able to get some sort of picture relatively early on.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #580 on: June 22, 2016, 10:05:42 AM »

Sunderland also has the Nissan works at Washington so who knows. Admittedly not everyone who works there lives in the city, but it's worth bearing in mind.
DL
Canada

« Reply #581 on: June 22, 2016, 10:49:08 AM »

Final Survey Monkey out today: Remain 50% (+2), Leave 47% (-2)...they project that the final results will be Remain 52, Leave 48

Final Opinium out today: Remain 44% (unchanged), Leave 45% (+1)...so they have a largeish 9% still undecided.

My own prediction is that Remain will win 52/48
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #582 on: June 22, 2016, 10:56:00 AM »

some are saying that although they're counting by those they'll declare it by EU Parliament regions which would just be odd.

Where have you heard that? I have only heard that results are to be declared by Local Authorities.

As far as how results might go, Sunderland will be the first to declare, as always. Sunderland is relatively eurosceptic, I can't remember where I found it, but someone has calculated, based on the general Euroscepticism of the various parts of the UK, that Sunderland will probably be about 6% more "leave" than the country.

Although that clearly has to taken with a pinch of salt, and the margins of error are massive. It means we might be able to get some sort of picture relatively early on.

I really recommend reading the Chris Hanretty article which Parochial Boy has linked to.  It's very informative.
ChrisDR68
PoshPaws68
United Kingdom
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #583 on: June 22, 2016, 12:05:33 PM »

If it's true, enjoy your recession and unemployment spike. Frankly, the EU and Euro businesses should retreat from the UK if it gets up. This is about much more than the EU itself, how this hasn't filtered through is kind of remarkable... kind of cute that the UK thinks it's so important that there won't be REAL consequences to a 'leave' vote.

I actually don't think it'll happen. It'll be closer than it should be, but I think remain will just get up.

Can you give me next week's lottery numbers please as you obviously know what will happen in the future before it even happens? Cheesy

jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #584 on: June 22, 2016, 12:41:41 PM »

The New York Times brought up a good point by pointing out that voters are expecting Remain to win by a clear plurality, which is reportedly a better indicator than a normal poll of voting intentions:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/21/upshot/telling-sign-many-supporters-of-brexit-expect-defeat.html

A plurality?  Aren't there only two options on the ballot?
There were three options in the poll, which asked respondents what they expected would be the result.

40% Remain will win.
34% Don't know.
26% Leave will win.

The thesis of the article was that this was more predictive than the actual expressed intent of how they intended to vote.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #585 on: June 22, 2016, 01:39:35 PM »

You also have to take into account that Leave supporters are more likely to believe the vote will be "stolen" from them and take stock in various conspiracy theories.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #586 on: June 22, 2016, 01:58:37 PM »

My final prediction:

53.6% Remain
46.4% Leave

Turnout: 70.3%
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #587 on: June 22, 2016, 01:59:09 PM »

Prediction

Remain 52
Leave   48
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #588 on: June 22, 2016, 02:21:51 PM »

Updated:

43% - TNS
45% - Opinium
44% - Survation
44% - YouGov
46% - ORB*
42% - Survation
43% - YouGov
44% - Opinium

*Much smaller undecided proportion than other surveys.
Rocky Rockefeller
Nelson Rockefeller 152
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.00

« Reply #589 on: June 22, 2016, 03:52:13 PM »

Preiction

Remain 52
Leave 48

Turnout 68%
DL
Canada

« Reply #590 on: June 22, 2016, 04:52:08 PM »

FWIW almost every poll out today shows a bit of a trend towards remain.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #591 on: June 22, 2016, 06:15:02 PM »

Balls to the wall prediction: 64% Remain

That's not balls to the wall, that's booty to the ceiling.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #592 on: June 22, 2016, 06:15:56 PM »

That would require a pretty sizeable shift in turnout patterns across the country. But I guess it's possible. Cheesy
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #593 on: June 22, 2016, 06:53:54 PM »

Do Brits love to cry voter fraud/election fraud as much as Americans when they don't get their way? I remember there was that picture of the "leave" ballot on the "stay" pile after the Scottish referendum that went viral.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #594 on: June 22, 2016, 06:55:49 PM »

No important person on either side took the "VOTER FRAUD!!!!" thing seriously at all in the independence referendum, mostly because they actually understand how the counting process works
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #595 on: June 22, 2016, 08:32:46 PM »

Hmmm... I'm going to say...

53.8% Remain.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #596 on: June 22, 2016, 09:14:01 PM »

If Leave wins I think undoubtedly there will be many who will say that the 'fix was in'. Whether that message is picked up by anyone is questionable.
trebor204
TREBOR204

« Reply #597 on: June 22, 2016, 11:59:15 PM »

Question on the vote counting process.

From my understanding,
In a General Election, the ballots from each polling station are sent to a central 'Counting Room' in each of UK 650 ridings . Once all the ballots in the riding are counted. A riding official will announce the results, along side the candidates (and their huge ribbons). This process could take hours since it could take hours just to get  ballot boxes from the more remote locations.

Now, during the referendum ballot boxes will be sent to 382 local count venues.
Unlike in a general election where the numbers of voters is around the same. Local venues will very in size from 700,000 in Birmingham to 1,700 in the Isles of Scilly.

Why does UK count their ballots at these central counting station instead of the polling stations?

During elections in Canada they will count the ballots at the polling station, relay the results to Local Returning Officer, and the results are sent to central results system, where they are access to the media and the public. Most of the polling station take under 1 hour to count. You can get a projection in under an hour once the polls close in Central Canada. Unlike it the UK where you have to wait the following morning to actual results (not including the exit polls)
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #598 on: June 23, 2016, 12:25:38 AM »

I think it's funny that the Independence Day sequel is being released today. Lol.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #599 on: June 23, 2016, 01:32:54 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2016, 01:40:18 AM by cp »

That's not balls to the wall, that's booty to the ceiling.

I like you two Tongue

Well, the big day is here. Let's hope this thing turns out right. /YouGov has a final poll out showing Remain ahead 51/49. Their data are in line with previous polls and other pollsters on the break pattern of undecideds (2:1 for remain), the salience of specific issues to voters (Economy first, 'sovereignty' a close second, immigration an increasingly distant third), and likelihood to vote (Remains shoring up, Leave slightly wilting).

FWIW, my prediction is ...

Remain: 54.1%
Leave: 47.9

Turnout: 79%
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies