25 Years From Now. . . (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:16:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  25 Years From Now. . . (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 25 Years From Now. . .  (Read 11371 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: May 02, 2005, 09:54:45 AM »

Very interesting. Seeing as (IMO anyway) your analysis is usually worth reading, I'd be interested to know why you think that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 04:36:26 PM »

One of the biggest trends in American politics over the past 5 years you see is the rise of economic liberalism and the decline of social liberalism. As with other trends I see this not only as a U.S. trend but a worldwide trend,

Interestingly the same sort of thing seems to be happening over here; some of the rhetoric (and policies) coming from Labour have been much more leftish than the previous two elections (they're being more open about the re-distributive stuff as well) while the Tories have not tried the usual "we'll slash spending and cut yer taxes" trick they've been using since 1979 as much as normal (Flight got fired for suggesting that they'd do that if they won the election...) which would seem to indicate that it's not electorally popular anymore. The decline of social liberalism in the U.K is very obvious from UKIP's strong showing in last years Euro elections, and the increasly hardline stances politicians are taking on immigration/multiculturalism/crime/asylum seekers/etc.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Interesting theory that

Also very interesting

IMO his entire strategy was wrong; he shouldn't have bothered with states where the economy hadn't been doing all that bad, he should have concentrated more on the rust belt.

Maybe they have; they got Casey to run for Senate after all.

Very interesting. Thanks for the analysis.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 04:05:24 AM »

Thing is some things are predictable if your willing to think the unthinkable; 1948 clearly showed that a large rift had opened up between the Deep South Democrats and the national Party for example.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 04:22:16 AM »

I don't think the law & order rhetoric and especially the anti-immigration rhetoric we're getting over here is really socially conservative.

I tend to think that it is (up to a point) in the U.K, mainly because the last time there was a lot of it (early '70's) was effectively a backlash to the percieved (and IMO innacurate; 20 million people watched the Black and White Minstels every week in the '60's...) liberalism of the '60's.

Very true. We'll only find that out for sure on friday morning, but I have a suspicion that while a lot of socially conservative people have liked the vicious attacks on immigrants, a lot of others have been appalled by it. Have to wait... oh... 48 hours or so to find out though.

Very true, but the thing is, it wasn't seen like that by the rest of the world.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 03:48:15 PM »

Georgia moving *towards* the Democrats? You're having a laugh aren't you?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 05:31:30 PM »

I think you're whole theory is probably deeply flawed, but seeing as it's one a lot of other people have come out with there's no point attacking you'res especially
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 06:51:37 AM »

Interestingly the same sort of thing seems to be happening over here; some of the rhetoric (and policies) coming from Labour have been much more leftish than the previous two elections (they're being more open about the re-distributive stuff as well) while the Tories have not tried the usual "we'll slash spending and cut yer taxes" trick they've been using since 1979 as much as normal (Flight got fired for suggesting that they'd do that if they won the election...) which would seem to indicate that it's not electorally popular anymore. The decline of social liberalism in the U.K is very obvious from UKIP's strong showing in last years Euro elections, and the increasly hardline stances politicians are taking on immigration/multiculturalism/crime/asylum seekers/etc.

My suspicions of what the result pattens were be were broadly correct.
I'll write some stuff up on this (and conclusions for U.S trends) later today.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies