Which (EV) bellwether will survive the longest from now?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:30:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Which (EV) bellwether will survive the longest from now?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: By "bellwether" I mean a state that votes for the same candidate as the nationwide EC, regardless of margin.
Ohio

Iowa

Florida

Michigan

Wisconsin

Pennsylvania

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: Which (EV) bellwether will survive the longest from now?  (Read 774 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 11, 2016, 06:22:33 PM »

Obviously Ohio has lasted the longest until now, but I'm interested in which state will continue to do so for the longest into the future. I'm thinking either Pennsylvania or Florida; I think I'll vote Florida.

Obviously the only states I'm including are Obama 2012/Trump 2016 states. I didn't include ME-2 because district lines can change.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 01:36:13 PM »

Pennsylvania will vote Democratic again for sure in 2020 and become the longest bellweather.  Forget about Ohio. Dems need to focus on VA and PA
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 01:56:20 PM »

Since it does seem like Ohio will go Republican in a narrow Democratic victory, Florida will become the "ultimate bellwether" once that happens. I do think that Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania will (at least in the short term) flip back to the Democrats if they win in a close race, but since they went for Kerry in 2004, Florida will be the longest standing bellwether. Also, poor Nevada. It was going to be the next bellwether, but it proved that it's just too blue for that, not that I have a problem with that. Wink
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 02:31:32 PM »

Florida will be electing Puttman Governor in 2018, a GOPer.  WI, PA, IL, NV, NJ and VA will be electing Democratic Governors in 2018, possibly Lisa Madigan in Illinois.  So PA with Wolfe will be the bellweather.

Florida is a GOP state now.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 09:48:01 PM »

I'd say either Pennsylvania or Michigan. Although I've learned never to underestimate Florida lol.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 02:50:47 PM »

I'd say either Pennsylvania or Michigan. Although I've learned never to underestimate Florida lol.

They definitely need to do better in all of these places.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 02:45:13 PM »

Forget Florida, again it is a naturally red state Pennsylvania will be the bellweather and always will be.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 04:05:55 AM »

Ohio and Iowa went for Trump by nearly double digits, they can't be considered swing states anymore and are not bellwethers. Hillary would have won Texas before she won Iowa. Pennsylvania was trending R demographically even before Trump and I think it is increasingly shifting in that direction. Michigan and Wisconsin are possible but both are very white and Rust Belt states not demographically representative of the nation. I'd say Florida, it has always been a swing state and has a good demographic balance so I think it will stay a bellwether for the longest. However it's possible in the future a state like Texas or Georgia could become a new bellwether.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies